Nikon Z* mirrorless

Anyone use the Ex-Pro White batteries on their Z? It’s the only 3rd party brand I trusted on m4/3 and Fuji.

Anyone use the Ex-Pro White batteries on their Z? It’s the only 3rd party brand I trusted on m4/3 and Fuji.

I thought I had lost one of my Nikon batteries so in a panic bought an Ex-ProEN-EL15B (2200mAh) battery. You can get an alternative 2500mAh battery as well. Mine seems to do ok. I use my camera in a very random manner so cannot say whether it is any better than the Nikon ones but it certainly doesn't appear to perform badly.

Oh ... and I founds my original Nikon battery the day after I had ordered the E-Pro one.I decided for £24 or what ever it was I would keep it. A case of losing it in one of too many camera bags... hence starting a cull :)

It's interesting to see other people returning their Z cameras. I traded my A7Riii for a Z7 and had instant terrible regret. Low light AF and normal light AF-C seemed poor and FPS was a seemingly slow. I amazingly managed to get my old camera and lenses back from Wex (a huge shout out for Wex by the way. Customer service far beyond anything I have received in retail before). Now I have my Sony back I really miss the Z! Yes it was costly to exchange (>£1000) but handling the Sony now feels horrible and the Nikon kit lens performance is wonderful. Retrospectively the AF is not that bad and with the update coming that can only improve. The grip comments worry me as does Nikons ability to compete in future with computational gubbins but I really do miss it. It's a pleasure to use.

I'm sat in work wondering if I dare call them again to ask for the Nikon back! Can people please tell me I'm an idiot to do it?

I thought I had lost one of my Nikon batteries so in a panic bought an Ex-ProEN-EL15B (2200mAh) battery. You can get an alternative 2500mAh battery as well. Mine seems to do ok. I use my camera in a very random manner so cannot say whether it is any better than the Nikon ones but it certainly doesn't appear to perform badly.

Oh ... and I founds my original Nikon battery the day after I had ordered the E-Pro one.I decided for £24 or what ever it was I would keep it. A case of losing it in one of too many camera bags... hence starting a cull :)
A cull of bags? It will only end in tears. And it's like rust - they never go away, just morph into a different shape of bag. :D

I think I first saw it on dpreview HERE ...although I'm sure I've read about it in other places too.

I remember asking Nikon UK to rectify a known 'issue' on a camera I had a few years ago (I think it was the 'left focus point issue' on a D800 or D810?)... Despite all the forums being alight with every man and his dog raising the roof about it, Nikon UK claimed they'd never heard about it and said I was the first to mention it... hmmmmmm! :rolleyes:

Thanks - I contacted Nikon and they're going to take a look at my camera and it will be 'checked by technicians'.
This is all very well, but I need my camera every week and sending away to Nikon (albeit they've sorted out the freepost) means an unpredictable amount of time with them. I'm waiting to hear if I can get a loan camera before I drop it off. Will let you all know if any luck. I assume that the coating is an issue across the whole body, it's just that it's worn first where fingernails end up?

Thanks - I contacted Nikon and they're going to take a look at my camera and it will be 'checked by technicians'.
This is all very well, but I need my camera every week and sending away to Nikon (albeit they've sorted out the freepost) means an unpredictable amount of time with them. I'm waiting to hear if I can get a loan camera before I drop it off. Will let you all know if any luck. I assume that the coating is an issue across the whole body, it's just that it's worn first where fingernails end up?

I'm keeping an eye on this.

It's interesting to see other people returning their Z cameras. I traded my A7Riii for a Z7 and had instant terrible regret. Low light AF and normal light AF-C seemed poor and FPS was a seemingly slow. I amazingly managed to get my old camera and lenses back from Wex (a huge shout out for Wex by the way. Customer service far beyond anything I have received in retail before). Now I have my Sony back I really miss the Z! Yes it was costly to exchange (>£1000) but handling the Sony now feels horrible and the Nikon kit lens performance is wonderful. Retrospectively the AF is not that bad and with the update coming that can only improve. The grip comments worry me as does Nikons ability to compete in future with computational gubbins but I really do miss it. It's a pleasure to use.

I'm sat in work wondering if I dare call them again to ask for the Nikon back! Can people please tell me I'm an idiot to do it?

I thought of the reasons to stay with Nikon after handling a few bodies yesterday, A7iii was probably the only one I’d move to.

Nikon:
Menus
Ergos
EVF quality
Focus shift/bracketing
Compact lens design (zooms at least)
Better weather sealing
Build quality
Touch screen functionality
Z Mount future possibilities

Sony:
24-105
I have 5x 77mm Breakthrough photography filters, which will fit the 24-105, would cost more to replace these than switch.

I’m still undecided what I want to do, because there is more positives with Nikon for me. But it comes down to leaving the camera at home or carrying it about with a more versatile lens.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Oh, and the only other thing I'll need is another XQD card. I currently only have a Sony G 120gb and a Sony G 32gb, and not sure that will be enough for nearly 3 weeks combined with Video ?

I also have two XQD cards but when on holiday etc. I also back up to a WD My Passport Wireless SSD 500Gb portable drive that is built like a tank but not excessively large.[/QUOTE]

Ooh...that's not something I've thought of. I'll have to investigate that.

I thought of the reasons to stay with Nikon after handling a few bodies yesterday, A7iii was probably the only one I’d move to.

Nikon:
Menus
Ergos
EVF quality
Focus shift/bracketing
Better weather sealing
Build quality

Sony:
24-105
I have 5x 77mm Breakthrough photography filters, which will fit the 24-105, would cost more to replace these than switch.

I’m still undecided what I want to do, because there is more positives with Nikon for me. But it comes down to leaving the camera at home or carrying it about with a more versatile lens.

Having had the two the one that stands out massively even with the light Tamron 28-70 is the ergonomics of the Sony are very poor. My poor pinky misses the Z. The EVF of the Nikon seems to have a smidge more lag but it beautiful. Going back to no (or very little) touchscreen seems archaic. Build quality is subjective as he Nikon feels well made and is better sealed but the tales of woe with the grip wear gives a bonus point away and the memory card door is too easy to open which scares me.

The Z mount is an odd one. The benefits (or lack of) have been debated to death but the fact is the 'kit' lens produces stunning results and it gives me hope for the future of the mount. The trinity in the S line and a fast prime and I will be set.

The last point for me is computational photography in future models. Sony must surely have the edge here but if I enjoy using the Nikon more does it matter?

You mention the loss of pricey filters which makes me think of the £1,300 price of my very strange sidewards step between the camps.

Nikon:
Menus
Ergos
EVF quality
Focus shift/bracketing
Better weather sealing
Build quality

Sony:
24-105

Re - the filters. I am puzzled why you cannot use them on the Nikon lenses, even if you have to buy a stepping ring.

I found this company Life+Guard which make skins for cameras. It popped up on my YouTube the other day for a Sony search. But I saw they are doing them for Nikon. Not sure about ordering they seem to only have a Facebook page.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.ni...ion-skin-for-the-nikon-z7-and-z6-cameras/amp/

They look horrible/tacky for the full body especially in carbon fibre. However maybe they do or can do a leather version. I’m sure all these companies use the 3M stuff. Dbrand in the US sell a nice looking leather texture. 394D70A0-52C1-49F8-91B1-5CED88E7293A.jpeg

Or someone could maybe cut the grip shape out for a custom one.

Personally my fingers don’t touch this area.

Last edited:
For anyone who is concerned about grip wear issues I found this company Life+Guard which make skins for cameras. It popped up on my YouTube the other day for a Sony search. But I saw they are doing them for Nikon. Not sure about ordering they seem to only have a Facebook page.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.ni...ion-skin-for-the-nikon-z7-and-z6-cameras/amp/

They look horrible/tacky for the full body especially in carbon fibre. However maybe they do or can do a leather version. I’m sure all these companies use the 3M stuff. Dbrand in the US sell a nice looking leather texture. View attachment 242019

Or someone could maybe cut the grip shape out for a custom one.

Personally my fingers don’t touch this area.

Nope. Should be a recall.

Has anyone heard when the mythical Z6/Z7 battery grip will be announced. I know a lot of people will think "why do you want to make a small camera bigger", and I agree for general walking about, holidays etc., but when using the camera for wildlife shooting and using long lenses, it seems very front heavy, and I think just needs a grip to balance the weight ?

Not been out for a while with the camera, due to a protracted disastrous house move, but by yesterday we were just about settled, so took a 15 minute drive out to Chapel Le Dale and walked along to the base of Whernside. I like this view of nearby Ingleborough with the ruined barn in the foreground.

NZ6_0273.jpg by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

Not been out for a while with the camera, due to a protracted disastrous house move, but by yesterday we were just about settled, so took a 15 minute drive out to Chapel Le Dale and walked along to the base of Whernside. I like this view of nearby Ingleborough with the ruined barn in the foreground.

NZ6_0273.jpg by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

You’ve some lovely country up there. But I’m a Southern Softie.

Was looking at potentially picking up a native prime for the Z6, then saw the price. I know that the larger mount diameter of the Z mount promises better definition etc. right into the corners than the F mount lenses, but why are the current Z mount lenses so expensive ?

For instance, today on camera price buster.

Nikon Z 50mm F1.8S £480.00
Nikon F 50mm F1.8 £169.00 - that's 185% more for the Z mount ?

Nikon Z 35mm F1.8S £749.00
Nikon F 35mm F1.8 £438.01 - that's over 70% more for the Z mount ?

Why do damn expensive, especially as they are only F1.8 lenses not F1.4 or even F1.2 ?

I know I can buy the F mount lenses and use them on the FTZ adaptor, (indeed I already have the AF-S 50mm F1.8 G) but even so, it would have been nice to use native Z mounts lenses, but not at these prices.

Last edited:
Was looking at potentially picking up a native prime for the Z6, then saw the price. I know that the larger mount diameter of the Z mount promises better definition etc. right into the corners than the F mount lenses, but why are the current Z mount lenses so expensive ?

Why do damn expensive, especially as they are only F1.8 lenses not F1.8 or F1.2 ?

I know I can buy the F mount lenses and use them on the FTZ adaptor, (indeed I already have the AF-S 50mm F1.8 G) but even so, it would have been nice to use native Z mounts lenses, but not at these prices.

I can only imagine it’s to try to claw back some of the R&D costs. I’d expect them to fall further.
Might take quite a while though.

I bought them mostly because I wanted to avoid the FTZ.

Why do damn expensive, especially as they are only F1.8 lenses not F1.4 or even F1.2 ?

I do agree it’s a ridiculous price differential on the face of it. Probably @trevorbray is correct; I do hope so, and that prices quickly fall as the nascent system gains momentum. Bring on an affordable 70-210ish lens!

I seem to be getting alerts on the 50mm S price dropping weekly. The 50mm S is available from amazon directly for £426 currently. Here

This is a Nital version, which from searching the forum i can only find one post which is my own.

"From a quick search NITAL seems to be the Italian distributor and warranty is dealt with them directly. A few threads suggest Nikon wont deal with these versions if you have an issue?"

"From a quick search NITAL seems to be the Italian distributor and warranty is dealt with them directly. A few threads suggest Nikon wont deal with these versions if you have an issue?"[/QUOTE]

I think it more likely they will make you pay for any repairs rather than not deal with you but .... :)

Doesn't the fact that it's being sold directly by Amazon UK (rather than an affiliate) mean that Amazon will cover the warranty (at least for the first year) ?

Doesn't the fact that it's being sold directly by Amazon UK (rather than an affiliate) mean that Amazon will cover the warranty (at least for the first year) ?

Yes. And we only get a year warranty on Nikon lenses in the UK only so no loss there.

Last edited:
About to pull the trigger on the Z6m, debating the 24-70 F4 as it is quite good value as a kit. The 35mm Prime is expensive, but the 50mm is priced better. A 24-70mm and 50mm kit would probably do all that I need.

Quick question re the Z's. I know with continuous shooting you don't get exposure changes at the high frame rates and have to drop to 5.5fps to get this, but what about AF? Do you need to drop to 5.5fps to get continuous AF, or can you shoot at a higher frame rate for this?

Just a heads up for anyone that's interested, Panamoz have the new Nikon Z 14-30 F4 S in stock for £1,150.00

Just bagged one myself (and I didn''t even pre-order :D)

Quick question re the Z's. I know with continuous shooting you don't get exposure changes at the high frame rates and have to drop to 5.5fps to get this, but what about AF? Do you need to drop to 5.5fps to get continuous AF, or can you shoot at a higher frame rate for this?

I've also read somewhere that the new Z6/Z7 firmware update coming next month, not only adds Face and Eye AF, but also full AE even at the fastest frame rates.

Just a heads up for anyone that's interested, Panamoz have the new Nikon Z 14-30 F4 S in stock for £1,150.00

Just bagged one myself (and I didn''t even pre-order :D)

Great. Was thinking of cancelling my preorder with WEX. Deffo now.
Still a little unsure about getting one. Initial enthusiasm has waned...

Back