Nikon Z* mirrorless

One from 10 days ago - Chapel le Dale church, which houses a memorial to the navvies killed during the construction of the Ribblehead viaduct on the Settle-Carlisle line.

Chapel le Dale Church by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

Anyone using a manual Nikon F tele or zoom lens, such as the 135mm or 70-200mm f4?
I have a 135 2.8 Ai that I play with sometimes. Small and light. But usually I’m very happy with the 70-300 AF-P. Focus accuracy and image quality are great with the Z.

I’m considering getting a Sigma 100-400 for air show use. Luftwalk’s images above look impressive.

Last edited:
I have a 135 2.8 Ai that I play with sometimes. Small and light. But usually I’m very happy with the 70-300 AF-P. Focus accuracy and image quality are great with the Z.

I’m considering getting a Sigma 100-400 for air show use. Luftwalk’s images above look impressive.
For the very few occasions I need anything longer than 70mm low price and weight/bulk are key. As landscapes move at a glacial pace, I reckon I can manage with manual focus.

Great set. I presume the sigma didn’t need any firmware update nonsense?

Yep, no need for a FW upgrade....one of the reasons I sold my Tamron 70-200mm G2 lens. Hated the fact they didn't work without an upgrade....made me think what might happen later on with eye AF update on the Z cameras...

Yep, no need for a FW upgrade....one of the reasons I sold my Tamron 70-200mm G2 lens. Hated the fact they didn't work without an upgrade....made me think what might happen later on with eye AF update on the Z cameras...

Impress with those images with that Sigma and it doesn't break the bank either..

Hmm fancy this kit now

Z6 with Kit lens
50mm 1.8 Z lens
sigma 100-400

That be me sorted if I did the switch

Does anyone know what the sensor readout time is for the Z6 and Z7 using electronic shutter?

where is the local zoo exactly? These are pretty nice photos but I guess as a mainly non-wildlife photographer, I'd prefer the savings in weight of the AF-P 70-300

The ZOO is in Slovenia (Ljubljana)...as for the weight, I guess it's all relative :) I'm used to carrying the 200-500 around all day and before that the Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 Sport, so the 100-400 is a nice light weight lens for me :)

Does anyone know what the sensor readout time is for the Z6 and Z7 using electronic shutter?

This is for the Z6:
Mechanical: 1/340 s
Silent 14-bit: 1/20 s
Silent 12-bit or JPEG only: 1/38 s

I think the Z7 is marginally slower.

It's arrived! Z6 + FTZ + 24-70 F4 and 50 F1.8

Not 100% sure I will keep the 24-70, it's small and versatile, and initial test shots look good. Just not a focal length range I really got on with on a DSLR. May sell/ trade for the 35mm prime at some point.

It's arrived! Z6 + FTZ + 24-70 F4 and 50 F1.8

Not 100% sure I will keep the 24-70, it's small and versatile, and initial test shots look good. Just not a focal length range I really got on with on a DSLR. May sell/ trade for the 35mm prime at some point.

Congratulations. Like you I bought the 24-70 as part of the package. I much prefer the primes. But I won’t sell it. It came at a very advantageous price. Has it’s uses...performs well.

Hi guys. Was out at lunchtime in a local bird hide and thought I'd see what the Z6 was capable of in video mode. That's where I ran into my first problem. I was set to 4K 25P, and when I flicked the mode dial to Movie mode, the exposure was automatically set to 1/25 Sec at F8 and try as I might, I couldn't' see anyway to control the exposure. On all my other cameras, you can select what "mode" you want movie shooting in (i.e. Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority or fully manual), and in each case you can control either shutter speed, aperture or both (depending on the mode chosen).

I wanted to shoot in Shutter priority mode and raise te shutter speed to 1/50 sec (2 x the frame rate), and let the aperture and auto ISO sort out the exposure, but aside from Auto ISO (which floated), both the shutter speed and aperture seemed to be locked and no what which dial I turned, nothing would happen ?

Am I doing something wrong (i.e. operator error), or is this how the Z cameras work ?

Last edited:
Anyone got any recommended sellers for Nikon EN-EL15b? I was going to order from e-infinity as Panamoz doesn’t seem to sell separately.

I was looking on eBay and they’re cheaper but not sure if there is lots of fakes about like previous EN-EL15 batteries.

Anyone got any recommended sellers for Nikon EN-EL15b? I was going to order from e-infinity as Panamoz doesn’t seem to sell separately.

I was looking on eBay and they’re cheaper but not sure if there is lots of fakes about like previous EN-EL15 batteries.
I've bought some Ex-Pro, which are fine if you don't need the in-camera charging facility. I looked but couldn't just find anyone selling 15b at much less than retail.

So what's the latest on the Z6/7 and battery grips? Is it a definite that they're never going to do a proper grip and will only offer a 'battery pack'?

So what's the latest on the Z6/7 and battery grips? Is it a definite that they're never going to do a proper grip and will only offer a 'battery pack'?

As far as I know the problem is a lack of connection ports on the bottom side preventing anything but the most basic battery packs...

As far as I know the problem is a lack of connection ports on the bottom side preventing anything but the most basic battery packs...
Wow, what a bizarre omission :eek:

Wow, what a bizarre omission :eek:

It is...unless they mean to connect the grip in another (wireless) way...but so far there has been no talk on the grip/pack apart from the initial announcement

Wouldn’t they do a grip that goes into the battery compartment like the sony

Wouldn’t they do a grip that goes into the battery compartment like the sony
It’s the controls that are the issue, if there’s no ports then the grip can’t have a shutter release and dials etc :facepalm:

But the Sony grip got controls and it goes into the battery compartment like the canon does too

But the Sony grip got controls and it goes into the battery compartment like the canon does too
The battery holder part of the Sony grip has an array of electrical contacts that must ‘join’ them up electronically.

@Sootchucker

How are you finding the 14-30 ?

Cancelled my preorder. Tempted by Panamoz price.

Never got it Trevor. Ordered it on Panamoz (and they were showing in stock at the time). Then a day later they emailed me to say there was a mistake on their system and it actually wasn't in stock at that time afterall. They said I could wait until it did arrive or have a refund. Decided to go for a refund (as it was a bit of a spur of the moment purchase anyway), and credit to Panamoz, my PayPal account was credited back same day, and they have given me a £20 off voucher to use next time in the way of an apology.

Can't really get mad at them with super service like this, so I think I'll wait a bit for some more reviews to come out on the lens, as a few I've already seen say it's an OK lens, but nothing too special (especially in the corners), so I'll wait and see what the general opinion is.

It's not like I don't have UWA covered in the other systems anyway, with stellar copies of both the Fujifilm 10-24 F4 OIS, and the Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmarit 8-18mm f/2.8-4 for my M4/3 system.

On the subject of the battery grip, I'm very interested in that as well, as I find when shooting with the bigger lenses for birding etc., that the Z6 can feel very unbalanced and it would be nice under those conditions to give it a bit more heft and bulk. I too though, will be amazed if they never thought to add some sort of connectivity for a vertical portrait shutter and dials (though that necessarily still wouldn't' be a deal breaker for me, as it's just additional size I'd really need under those circumstances.)

In what ever form it does eventually arrive in (if it arrives at all), I fully expect Nikon to still charge the earth for it like they do with all their grips :confused:

@Sootchucker

Thanks Andrew. Maybe I’ll hold off for a bit.
Seems to be in stock now at Panamoz

On the subject of the battery grip, I'm very interested in that as well, as I find when shooting with the bigger lenses for birding etc., that the Z6 can feel very unbalanced and it would be nice under those conditions to give it a bit more heft and bulk. I too though, will be amazed if they never thought to add some sort of connectivity for a vertical portrait shutter and dials (though that necessarily still wouldn't' be a deal breaker for me, as it's just additional size I'd really need under those circumstances.)

In what ever form it does eventually arrive in (if it arrives at all), I fully expect Nikon to still charge the earth for it like they do with all their grips :confused:
Theoretically it would be possible to transmit control signals down the existing connections of a battery. All it needs is a microprocessor at each end of the battery circuit. And of course, there are more than two pins on a battery. Something similar to CANBUS systems on vehicles and planes. Whether it is physically possible using existing body constraints is another matter. (/end worms can/)

TBH all OEM battery grips are a rip off.

Any idea what the update includes, I can't find anything about it?

The description says Eye AF and more. It’s on Nikon Europe/Asia YouTube.

Probably AE in Hi+ and AFC improvements as the previous press release. Unless they added anything else to this release.

The description says Eye AF and more. It’s on Nikon Europe/Asia YouTube.

Probably AE in Hi+ and AFC improvements as the previous press release. Unless they added anything else to this release.
Ahh that one, I thought that had been released already so thought this was something different :facepalm:

Back