Nikon Z* mirrorless

And just what would it give you (except a bad back and a lighter wallet) over the f4? The DoF looks shallow enough for me on this shot. :)

You’re correct. I expect the 2.8 to give way to the 14-30. But I’d prefer a native fast wide angle. Really don’t want to get into adapted.

And just what would it give you (except a bad back and a lighter wallet) over the f4? The DoF looks shallow enough for me on this shot. :)
One nice thing about the 24-70 is it can focus really quite close which can help in getting nice DoF. If I want more, I'd rather have a prime, I think.

To tell you the truth, I'm wondering whether to ditch both the 17-35 and 70-300 (yes, I know I've just bought them and that they're both excellent lenses) for fixed length - 14 or 16mm; 100 or 135mm. I already have both of the latter in manual adapted lenses, and a Samyang-ish lens would do for the wide end.
I have a nice strategy -- sell the 17-35 and buy the 14-30 and when you then decide you want a prime, sell me the 14-30 at a decent price! ;). (incidentally, I just sold your Fuji 23mm f1.4 which has provided sterling service over the years and was my most used prime). I'd stick with the 70-300 -- I don't think you'll find it wanting but I am with you a bit on the question of UWA. If there was a decent 14mm at a reasonable price and low weight, then I'd probably be perfectly happy. And I have to say that the new AF Samyang might be a rather good choice. There may not be a weight saving (and of course needs the adaptor) but is f2.8. A 14 + 24-70+ 70-300 is a not unappealing travel kit, actually.

I have a nice strategy -- sell the 17-35 and buy the 14-30 and when you then decide you want a prime, sell me the 14-30 at a decent price.
Let me think about that ... NO! Unless you give me enough for my 17-35 to buy the 14-30 in the first place, which I suspect is not what you had considered. :p

Let me think about that ... NO! Unless you give me enough for my 17-35 to buy the 14-30 in the first place, which I suspect is not what you had considered. :p
no, I'm afraid that's not exactly what I'd considered.....

Incidentally with the Samyang 14, there have been reports on dpr and elsewhere of incompatibilities with the Z's. I'm not clear whether this applies only to the previous MF version or also the new AF which doesn't seem to have been available in F mount for very long. Does anyone by any chance have more info on this? At under half the price of the 14-30, it could be tempting with f2.8 and AF but only if it works seamlessly
PS and to confuse things even more, an MF version is being released for the Z mount. Why no AF version? Any why is it 50% heavier?

Last edited:
This lens seems to have a distinct, very rich character -- or maybe you're just very good at getting the best out of it.

Thanks, but I just point it into interesting things :)

how are you guys finding the z6 ? compared to your mirrored DSLR
at present i have the d500 also the d850
and am considering buying on but i might wait till the 2nd version hits the market

Honestly, and this is not fanboy nonsense, I have hardly touched my D810 since I got my Z6. You do notice the loss of 12mp sometimes, but that’s just making me work harder at composition rather than just relying on cropping so much.

I took an image today, and I feel it is one of the best I have ever taken. It was made so much easier as a result of the evf, it’s so effective for composing.

how are you guys finding the z6 ? compared to your mirrored DSLR
at present i have the d500 also the d850
and am considering buying on but i might wait till the 2nd version hits the market

I'm thrilled with mine...sold the D500 and the D750. Even my longer lenses work great with the Z6. Especially helpful is no need to af fine tune anymore...

Honestly, and this is not fanboy nonsense, I have hardly touched my D810 since I got my Z6. You do notice the loss of 12mp sometimes, but that’s just making me work harder at composition rather than just relying on cropping so much.

I took an image today, and I feel it is one of the best I have ever taken. It was made so much easier as a result of the evf, it’s so effective for composing.

I love it when this happens :D

Whenever I get a new lens, and it's usually a new old film era lens, I look forward to he first picture which makes the purchase worthwhile :D

Does the Z7 have a thread as well or is this more a Z6 and Z7 thread?

Anyway, when using the Z7 (and maybe also Z6) in DX mode do you see the 'zoomed in' DX view in the viewfinder and LCD, or do you still see the FX frame with the outer edge shaded like the D850?

Does the Z7 have a thread as well or is this more a Z6 and Z7 thread?

Anyway, when using the Z7 (and maybe also Z6) in DX mode do you see the 'zoomed in' DX view in the viewfinder and LCD, or do you still see the FX frame with the outer edge shaded like the D850?

Just tried it and in DX mode it does 'zoom in' to fill the whole display in both the EVF and the rear screen... no shaded outer areas or any malarky like that.
EDIT.... on reflection that's in DX mode using an FX lens though, not sure if it's different with a DX lens....

And yes, I guess this should really be a combined Z6/Z7 thread...

Last edited:
Just tried it and in DX mode it does 'zoom in' to fill the whole display in both the EVF and the rear screen... no shaded outer areas or any malarky like that.
EDIT.... on reflection that's in DX mode using an FX lens though, not sure if it's different with a DX lens....

And yes, I guess this should really be a combined Z6/Z7 thread...
Thanks, that's what I wanted to know tbh, DX mode with FX lens. I'm sure it would be the same with a DX lens though, ie you'll see the DX view with no vignetting (y)

I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on the Z7 (I like the extra MP ;)) but one thing I've seen mentioned is that the camera goes to sleep after a couple of mins to save battery power, and it takes a couple of seconds to wake up again, can you turn this sleep mode off, or at least set it to 30 mins or so?

I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on the Z7 (I like the extra MP ;)) but one thing I've seen mentioned is that the camera goes to sleep after a couple of mins to save battery power, and it takes a couple of seconds to wake up again, can you turn this sleep mode off, or at least set it to 30 mins or so?
Quick answer, yes.

I though people say the AF faster and better in z6? If so is that not what you need?

I though people say the AF faster and better in z6? If so is that not what you need?
Yes, but I also like the extra MP and no antialiasing filter. Having the D850 if I'm going to stick with FF I don't want a decrease in IQ. At the end of the day I've been contemplating ditching Nikon completely in favour of Olympus, but the London marathon proved to me that I do still prefer the ultimate IQ of FF for certain things. Based on this it wouldn't make sense imo to sacrifice on IQ if I'm to 'swap' the D850. Yes the Z6 has faster AF according to a number of reviews, but it's a question of whether the Z7 is 'good enough'. Looking on youtube at what people have managed to get with BIF I would say that the Z7 will be good enough for runners, which is the only taxing thing that I'd use the Z7 for. Wildlife and motorsports will still be shot on the Olly (y).

I just hope that I don't end up regretting it o_O There is a firmware update on 16th May which is supposed to improve AF further so fingers crossed. As long as the AF is close to the D750 I'd be happy with that as I managed fine with that (y)

I've been contemplating ditching Nikon completely in favour of Olympus, but the London marathon proved to me that I do still prefer the ultimate IQ of FF for certain things.

I think just about everyone on the forum could have told you this, based on your posts from the last 5+ years!!!! You are after the impossible, something as light and compact as the Olympus with lightweight glass, but with the resolving power of a FF sensor!!

My advice would be to buy yourself a decent printer, starting printing more of your images, then you'll 'really' know what is best for you, you'll stop pixel peeping on monitors and look at images in a different light.

I think just about everyone on the forum could have told you this, based on your posts from the last 5+ years!!!! You are after the impossible, something as light and compact as the Olympus with lightweight glass, but with the resolving power of a FF sensor!!

My advice would be to buy yourself a decent printer, starting printing more of your images, then you'll 'really' know what is best for you, you'll stop pixel peeping on monitors and look at images in a different light.
I think we're all after that ;) However, health issues have meant that I've had to look at lighter options, it's not been a matter of choice per se. But I don't pixel peep, and I'm not a sharpness addict either. I look at the overall rendering of images, and as such it could have been the case that M4/3 could deliver that. The Panny Leica 42.5mm f1.2 is one such lens, I love the rendering of this. As you should see from my posts though it wasn't a question of whether the Olly could ultimately match FF, it was a question of whether it was good enough for me.

As you may have seen from various posts recently m4/3 has been more than good enough, and I've even said that for various things I'm struggling to see the difference between images with the Olly and images from the D850, hence why I've been seriously considering the complete move to m4/3 and been championing this system. However, in this particular instance it has shown that I prefer the rendering of the 70-200mm f2.8 over the Olly 40-150mm f2.8, so much so that I'm not willing to sacrifice it. If an m4/3 lens appears on the market with a similar rendering to the 70-200mm I may revisit this again at a later date (y)

Has anyone used Ex Pro EL 15 batteries in their Nikon Z and can confirm whether or not they work OK? What about genuine Nikon EL15 (not EL15b)?

I think Stephen asked a similar question. Now that I have sold my last piece of Fuji kit and am committed to Nikon, I'll need a second battery before long and would prefer an ExPro as well as they've worked quite well with Fuji (other than the final 15% or so more or less dropping off instantly becuase of a somewhat different discharge curve). Any issues at all though and I'd rather get another OEM as I can probably survive with just two

Has anyone used Ex Pro EL 15 batteries in their Nikon Z and can confirm whether or not they work OK? What about genuine Nikon EL15 (not EL15b)?
Yes, I use the Ex Pro batteries. I've not found the white version yet, but they work just as well as the Nikon. I don't think they will charge in-camera, but I've not tried as I have no need for this. However, when I purchased the camera from Panamoz I took advantage of getting a second Nikon EL15b at a very good price.

Yes, I use the Ex Pro batteries. I've not found the white version yet, but they work just as well as the Nikon. I don't think they will charge in-camera, but I've not tried as I have no need for this. However, when I purchased the camera from Panamoz I took advantage of getting a second Nikon EL15b at a very good price.
D'oh I missed that at Panamoz, that is a good price. I have two spare Nikon EN15's though so I'm hoping that I'll be OK with those and will get enough shots.

The genuine one's from my D850 worked. I got an original from e-finity for £40ish which I didn't think was that bad. Incidently the battery life is proving a lot better than I'd expected.

The genuine one's from my D850 worked. I got an original from e-finity for £40ish which I didn't think was that bad. Incidently the battery life is proving a lot better than I'd expected.
Thanks, I've heard that you can get over 1000 shots with 'normal' usage.

I think the D850 are the EL15a's which are different/newer than then 15's that I have.

On the subject of batteries, I received mine from e-infinity yesterday. Charged it up then went to charge my original Z6 bundled one for a trip this weekend. Slightly concerned after comparing them that I've been sent a counterfeit battery from e-infinity.

Left=Original / Right=e-Infinity: The e-infinity has poorer engraving and also has EN-EN15b engraved.
IMG_0639.jpg

Left=Original / Right=e-Infinity: e-infinity poor quality print. Hologram is differentIMG_0640.jpg

Looks like a fake to me. What have e-infin said ?

I’ll have a look later, but bear in mind that Nikon will buy their batteries from many different manufacturers but to their specifications. Nikon should be able to identify the batteries.

Update: my spare battery was supplied at the same time as the camera by Panamoz. Both of them seem identical to your “original” battery.

Last edited:
Back