Nikon Z* mirrorless

OK, so whilst I'm waiting for my Z7 can anyone tell me what options you can assign to the record button please as I can't find it in the manual, only what you can assign to the Fn1 and Fn2 buttons?

Yep, D850 gone and Z7 on the way (y). I know it's a backwards step in terms of performance but there's no doubting I prefer the mirrorless form factor and I don't need top performance except for one event/year, for which I'll manage (y)
Big step!

Mods or OP @Scots_quine can we change the title of the thread to Z6/Z7 please?

So what's on people's wish lists for future Z lenses? I'd like an affordable ultra wide angle, and a 70-200mm f4 as the f2.8 will most certainly by out of my price range. A lightweight tele would be nice too.

Thanks. I still have the 18-35mm, 50mm f1.8 and 70-200mm f2.8 VRII F-mounts so will use those for now. I ordered the Z7 with the 24-70mm as it seemed a no brainer getting the lens for £200 when it retails at £900 UK :eek:
I sold mine to MPB for £460. Made the body more affordable.

So what's on people's wish lists for future Z lenses? I'd like an affordable ultra wide angle, and a 70-200mm f4 as the f2.8 will most certainly by out of my price range. A lightweight tele would be nice too.
To be honest, just the 20 and 85 1.8 primes for me. 20/35/50/85 covers all my needs. Maybe an 85 1.4 m

I'd like the 200-500mm in the Z mount...I think they could improve on the sharpness and af speed.

A few photos from a trip to an abandoned mercury mine in Slovenia. Very low light conditions, the B+W photo is 32000 ISO. No problems with focus.

Z6N_3467 by luftwalk, on Flickr

Z6N_3482 by luftwalk, on Flickr

Z6N_3483 by luftwalk, on Flickr

A few photos from a trip to an abandoned mercury mine in Slovenia. Very low light conditions, the B+W photo is 32000 ISO. No problems with focus.
did you do any noise reduction with these? I ask as the last photo seems to show more noise at iso 8000 compared to the black and white one at iso 32000?
also with focus - did you use manual focus or did auto focus work fine in these conditions?

did you do any noise reduction with these? I ask as the last photo seems to show more noise at iso 8000 compared to the black and white one at iso 32000?
also with focus - did you use manual focus or did auto focus work fine in these conditions?

The black and white photo has some NR done in post (LR slider at 27), the color photos have 0 NR...that's why maybe they show more noise than the b&w photo. I generally feel I can get away with doing NR on a black and white photo and still get a lot of detail. Here's a NEF file for the black and white and you can see yourself how noisy it is...
https://colbysi-my.sharepoint.com/:...9Giq3Aqb2QUwsBhq_mbKcfG6j4_yAny9ZNUQ?e=8YthoC

As for AF....it was all auto focus....I even took a video or two and it followed my daughter walking in front of me with no real issues...

Three great photos there!

thank you! it was a great experience

Last edited:
OK, so whilst I'm waiting for my Z7 can anyone tell me what options you can assign to the record button please as I can't find it in the manual, only what you can assign to the Fn1 and Fn2 buttons?
I’ve assigned focus modes to the movie record button and zoom to Fn1.
If you download the manual pages 269-71 give you all the details as to what can be assigned where.

If you download the manual pages 269-71 give you all the details as to what can be assigned where.
Thanks, maybe that’s why I can’t find it as the manual I’ve downloaded only goes to page 247 o_O

Downloaded a different manual and got those pages now thanks. Glad to see you can assign metering to it (y)

Last edited:
The black and white photo has some NR done in post (LR slider at 27)

Thanks for that. It still seems less nosier than the other photo. ( only looked on my phone though).
I am considering getting either a Z7 or D850 hence following this with interest.

Thanks for that. It still seems less nosier than the other photo. ( only looked on my phone though).
I am considering getting either a Z7 or D850 hence following this with interest.

Another thing to note is that I also pushed the shadows a bit on the color photos, which also affects noise....
As for the cameras...I was choosing between the D850 and the Z6 and went for the Z...a weekend with a rental camera was all it took for me to decide.

Another thing to note is that I also pushed the shadows a bit on the color photos, which also affects noise....
As for the cameras...I was choosing between the D850 and the Z6 and went for the Z...a weekend with a rental camera was all it took for me to decide.

But did you try the 850 also? I currently have a dx camera but iso capability(or lack of) is driving me nuts. I feel I am missing shots I could be getting if I could push the iso higher.
The Z appeals to me at present more due to weight saving as long as IQ is similar to D850.

But did you try the 850 also? I currently have a dx camera but iso capability(or lack of) is driving me nuts. I feel I am missing shots I could be getting if I could push the iso higher.
The Z appeals to me at present more due to weight saving as long as IQ is similar to D850.

I did try the D850, just not at the same time as the Z. The D850 felt very similar to how my D750 handled....sure, it had better resolution, better AF, better DR....but in the end, it was just more of the same. The Z was a step into a new world for me. No more need to fine tune lenses (this was huge to me), full sensor coverage with AF points, IBIS,...it just felt like the future I guess.

Which Dx camera do you have? The IQ of the Z7 'should' be pretty much identical to the D850 in the real world, it's the same sensor barring the on sensor PDAF on the Z7. The Z6 will give IQ more akin to the D750, both have an AA filter which reduces sharpness a gnats, although I don't personally think it matters.
I did try the D850, just not at the same time as the Z. The D850 felt very similar to how my D750 handled....sure, it had better resolution, better AF, better DR....but in the end, it was just more of the same. The Z was a step into a new world for me. No more need to fine tune lenses (this was huge to me), full sensor coverage with AF points, IBIS,...it just felt like the future I guess.
Mirrorless is definitely the future, but DSLRs will be around for a long time still. After using the EM1-II more and more the D850 did start to feel 'old' somehow.

Junction Lodge, in Upper Settle. This house looks small, but widens as you go back, and down. Typical of many Settle dwellings, it probably had a commercial use in the past.

Junction Lodge, Settle by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

I'm seriously considering a Z6, although I've yet to handle to one as none of my local shops had one over the weekend. Coming from various FF Canon and Nikon, Leica Q etc. (dread to think how much money I've p'ed up the wall on it all over the last 10 years or so!), but looking forward to something a little different. Last camera was the Leica Q - almost perfect, but in the end the lens just proved a bit too wide, and I'm not one for messing about cropping. Think I'll likely go for the 24-70/4 kit, and pick up a prime or two in time.

For those who have them already, is the firmware with eye AF out yet? Also, if you're in single point AF, can you reduce the size of the AF box or is it fixed?

I'm seriously considering a Z6, although I've yet to handle to one as none of my local shops had one over the weekend. Coming from various FF Canon and Nikon, Leica Q etc. (dread to think how much money I've p'ed up the wall on it all over the last 10 years or so!), but looking forward to something a little different. Last camera was the Leica Q - almost perfect, but in the end the lens just proved a bit too wide, and I'm not one for messing about cropping. Think I'll likely go for the 24-70/4 kit, and pick up a prime or two in time.

For those who have them already, is the firmware with eye AF out yet? Also, if you're in single point AF, can you reduce the size of the AF box or is it fixed?

Firmware update due mid May. Yes it’s possible to select a very small focus point. In my experience the small focus point needs good light. Maybe it’ll improve with the update although I don’t think it’s known yet.

Firmware due mid-May.
Yes you can change size of AF boxes.

Edit, Trevor beat me to it.

Original- 79g weight
View attachment 244003

e-infinity- 72g
View attachment 244004

Also as this link suggests the terminals are the same as described. I know the battery is newer than the post but the differences are the same. https://bonell.wordpress.com/2014/03/23/identifying-a-fake-en-el15-battery/

Thoughts?

I have also received fake batteries from another well known grey import company although it was a year or two ago.

Nikon where able to confirm they where fake after I sent them some photos.

The grey import company apologised and said they where unaware and refunded me to the value of purchasing the batteries elsewhere locally. They no longer sell batteries any more.

I see from images online the upcoming z 70-200mm f2.8 will have the zoom and focus rings the wrong way around still as per the latest DSLR version, who thought that was best is beyond me, the VRII configuration is much better and much more stable imo.

I see from images online the upcoming z 70-200mm f2.8 will have the zoom and focus rings the wrong way around still as per the latest DSLR version, who thought that was best is beyond me, the VRII configuration is much better and much more stable imo.

Agreed....I much prefer the layout of the VRII. I'm curious how the new 70-200 will pan out though....it might give an insight on how well they can improve tele lenses as well.

Will do!

Im shooting a cinema refurbishment on Tuesday... I gave up doing this photography lark as a business a few months ago but still do occasional jobs for favourite old clients, this is the fourth cinema refurb I will have shot for them. Many of the ultra wide internals I will shoot with my Irix 11mm but I expect this little feller will be on for a fair number of them too. (y)

Any thoughts on the 14-30 yet ?

A few photos from a recent trip to a secret partisan hospital operational during World War 2. The hospital is located in a mountain gorge with a stream running through it. It was never discovered and even the patients that were brought there had their eyes blinded for the trip. Full album here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/luftwalk/albums/72157708311573985

Franja Hospital by luftwalk, on Flickr

Impressive photos - and story. I never knew such places existed.

So the Z7 landed today, got 15 mins to play with it this lunchtime. First impressions are good, EVF very crisp, ergonomics are nice (although if I'm honest the EM1-II still feels better in the hand to me), feels very Nikon, and AF-S is much quicker than I remembered, in fact feels as fast as the D850, and it is tack sharp. It feels a very premium bit of kit. My only criticism so far is that if I have a function set to the front FN buttons that requires you to use the front control dial (such as AF mode) it feels awkward pressing and holding the FN button and trying to turn that dial. As a result I have changed it to press and release rather than press and hold so will see how I get on with that, will feel pretty odd as I'm so ingrained into using press and hold. Also, I can't find the setting to turn on the main shutter release so that the AFON button is the only shutter release, ie BBF. I'm sure I saw it whilst flicking through the menus but I couldn't find it again when I was actually looking for it :LOL:

The 24-70mm f4 feels nice too, again more premium than the 'standard' Nikon AF-S and AF-P lenses. Can't wait to put it to the test in terms of IQ.

Lovely, look forward to hearing more about this, and good to hear that the f4 lens feels good.

At the risk of opening a can of worms, is the major difference between the Z7 and the Z6 resolution (aside from any video stuff, which I wouldn't be interested in)?

So the Z7 landed today, got 15 mins to play with it this lunchtime. First impressions are good, EVF very crisp, ergonomics are nice (although if I'm honest the EM1-II still feels better in the hand to me), feels very Nikon, and AF-S is much quicker than I remembered, in fact feels as fast as the D850, and it is tack sharp. It feels a very premium bit of kit. My only criticism so far is that if I have a function set to the front FN buttons that requires you to use the front control dial (such as AF mode) it feels awkward pressing and holding the FN button and trying to turn that dial. As a result I have changed it to press and release rather than press and hold so will see how I get on with that, will feel pretty odd as I'm so ingrained into using press and hold. Also, I can't find the setting to turn on the main shutter release so that the AFON button is the only shutter release, ie BBF. I'm sure I saw it whilst flicking through the menus but I couldn't find it again when I was actually looking for it :LOL:

The 24-70mm f4 feels nice too, again more premium than the 'standard' Nikon AF-S and AF-P lenses. Can't wait to put it to the test in terms of IQ.
There are two actions you need to set together to attain BBF only. Unfortunately I cannot remember just what they are offhand, but to me it’s a little strange to have to combine two menu settings to achieve one function.

Lovely, look forward to hearing more about this, and good to hear that the f4 lens feels good.

At the risk of opening a can of worms, is the major difference between the Z7 and the Z6 resolution (aside from any video stuff, which I wouldn't be interested in)?

I’m told that the Z6 offers lower noise at the same ISO settings. For me doing landscapes, the 6 is more than adequate, although if you need to print really large and view from really close you might want the 7. For me, that camera would be a waste of money.

The main difference is the sensor, the Z7 is 45.7mp with no AA filter vs 24mp with AA filter for the Z6. As a result the Z7 will give you sharper images with more detail, but in the real world you're unlikely to see a difference. Where the extra MP helps is if you want to crop heavily, and as such the Z7 (and D850) can be thought of as a FF and APS-C (DX) crop camera all in one. In DX mode you still get 19.5mp, more than enough for most applications. Also, the Z7 has a base ISO 64 which is useful for certain applications.

The downside to the extra MP is that noise handling isn't as good, and the files are bigger. This results in lower fps, smaller buffer (in theory) and makes your computer work harder when processing.

For most people the Z6 will be the camera to go for, it's cheaper and offers better/more rounded performance.

This gives an idea of how much better the Z6 is in high ISO low light, from 12800 the Z6 does look noticeably better to my eyes. However, I got perfectly useable images at 12800 on my D850, which is comparable to the Z7, and this is plenty for me. The Z7 actually looks a smidge better than the D850 to my eyes actually.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/im....00021670278379749475&y=-0.005934805533155573

Last edited:
Back