Nikon Z* mirrorless

£1789 on e-infintity which is where the seller bought it from (y) Panamoz are generally more expensive than e-infinity but you get a 3 year warranty vs 1 year with e-infinity.
OK, I see where you're coming from. It seemed more expensive on e-infinity until I realised the price was in euros (where it actually works out around £20 cheaper but the point has been made)!

Irrelevant now as it sold within 15 minutes of being on a certain popular auction site for what I was asking + postage, annoying that they catch you for fees on the sale and via paypal but hey-ho that's how it goes.
I'm not surprised to be honest. I'm glad you got things sorted out and will have some funds to tide you over until your next career move -- with luck things might even turn out better than before. I may have to resort to the same popular auction site as there doesn't seem much local interest so far in my humble MF nifty fifty.

Thanks for the reply Justin, I will look in to the two that you have mentioned :)

No problems, I think its a better option than spending £1-2k on a lens for the purpose. The downside to the SAM is that is that you need to connect to smartphone app to operate. But its half or more than half the weight less than the ioptron. The weight was more important to me because of planning to carry and taking on wild camps.

Can I get opinions on this edit over the previous version. Ive been messing with new things in photoshop trying to learn luminosity masks and stuff. Not sure if I prefer it more. The last version was an HDR merge in LR and I think it had too much of a HDR look or too saturated.

New version

Old version for reference

Last edited:
Can I get opinions on this edit over the previous version. Ive been messing with new things in photoshop trying to learn luminosity masks and stuff. Not sure if I prefer it more. The last version was an HDR merge in LR and I think it had too much of a HDR look or too saturated.

New version

New version definitely better imo, although it’s still a bit over baked for my own personal preference. Great image though.
May have one knocking about for you. Will check.
Cool I’d appreciate that thanks, just let me know how much if you find it (y)

Just a preset as-is.

Which preset is it? I used SFX for the first time in ages recently, had completely forgotten about it until I seen a video on B&W processing and it was featured. There's some really nice gritty and grungey presets to tinker with in there

New version

I like the old version but it is over saturated, maybe a touch of + exposure needed too.
Just my opinion though.

Which preset is it? I used SFX for the first time in ages recently, had completely forgotten about it until I seen a video on B&W processing and it was featured. There's some really nice gritty and grungey presets to tinker with in there
It was the Antique Plate II, with the Acros 100 film preset applied afterwards.

New version

think I prefer the tonal palette of the new one, although I'm not so sure about the more magenta bias. I think LR HDR merge can actually do a nice job though you do need to tone down the saturation at times.

I used a Sky Watcher Star Adventurer Mini, approx £250. There is also the iOptron Skyguider pro but it’s about £400, plus it’s double the weight and a bit larger.

What would be a great idea for a future model, now that they have IBIS, is to add the astro tracer function that has been in Pentax DSLRs for nearly a decade now. For those that don't know, it uses GPS, compass and focal length info to rotate the sensor so that you can shoot stars for upto 5 mins with no movement. It does mean you have to do a separate foreground shot and merge them in post, but that's not too much of an issue.

It's even tempting to look at a used K-1 if you do this kind of shot regularly!

What would be a great idea for a future model, now that they have IBIS, is to add the astro tracer function that has been in Pentax DSLRs for nearly a decade now. For those that don't know, it uses GPS, compass and focal length info to rotate the sensor so that you can shoot stars for upto 5 mins with no movement. It does mean you have to do a separate foreground shot and merge them in post, but that's not too much of an issue.

It's even tempting to look at a used K-1 if you do this kind of shot regularly!

Oh really, I never new about this.

Yeah same case with with a tracker blending a foreground and sky. Wasn’t too much of a problem for the shots I done. I can imagine with a tree line it’s be more difficult, but easier with luminosity masks.

Went to the end of the road yesterday to try the old Hoya 24mm f2.8 lens. It vignetted quite a bit, which I corrected in LR. This was taken at f8. OK, but no match for the 24-70! Mind you, it only cost £25 many years ago.

River Ribble at Settle Bridge by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

Any thoughts on the 14-30 yet ?

Sorry, been away on hols and haven't looked in here for quite a while... Didn't even take the camera away with me!
I did the cinema refurb shoot before I went away (can't post any of the pics I'm afraid as they're bought and paid for). As I expected, for most of the UWA shots I used the Irix 11mm (what a fabulous lens!) but did a handful with the 14-30 too... it was a joy to handle on the Z, what a difference to lugging around the D850 with the old 14-24 2.8... and no easily discernible difference in image quality (without critical pixel peeping which really isn't my thing). Very pleased with the purchase so far!

Sorry, been away on hols and haven't looked in here for quite a while... Didn't even take the camera away with me!
I did the cinema refurb shoot before I went away (can't post any of the pics I'm afraid as they're bought and paid for). As I expected, for most of the UWA shots I used the Irix 11mm (what a fabulous lens!) but did a handful with the 14-30 too... it was a joy to handle on the Z, what a difference to lugging around the D850 with the old 14-24 2.8... and no easily discernible difference in image quality (without critical pixel peeping which really isn't my thing). Very pleased with the purchase so far!

Thanks Keith. Hope you enjoyed your holiday.

does that mean that another £90 will come off when the new cashback starts on Wednesday? Or is this simply jumping the gun!

does that mean that another £90 will come off when the new cashback starts on Wednesday? Or is this simply jumping the gun!
Isn’t it a price drop rather than cash back?

I see that it is indeed £1092 on Amazon as you say. It's listed with a '4 year warranty'. But, it's also listed separately on Amazon as £1349. Is the lower price grey (and not covered by Nikon UK warranty?).
It says sold by amazon as does the higher price one, very confusing. The 4 year warranty seems to be in regards to a Nital Card, whatever that is?

In Europe no less than €400 off the Z6 with 24-70mm! And €200 off the 50mm f1.8 which should mean it will be little more than the equivalent of £300 now. I'm really wondering whether the last round of reductions will simply be abolished and these new ones take their place, in which case it's not quite so spectacular. We should see tomorrow anyway.

Is it possible to tell more about the Irix? Both the 11 and 15 have had pretty good reviews and I'm wondering if the latter in particular might be an alternative to the 14-30. It seems that electronic contacts ensure that EXIF info is maintained and the lenses must be fully compatible with the Z6/7? The only thing troubling me slightly is some samples seem to have some of the same calibration problems as Samyang (I had two copies of the APS-C 8mm fisheye and neither bore any real resemblance to the actual marked distances) or some decentring although the company appear to be good at rectifying substandard copies. For an f2.4 the Firefly weight is respectable and the price even more so

In Europe no less than €400 off the Z6 with 24-70mm! And €200 off the 50mm f1.8 which should mean it will be little more than the equivalent of £300 now. I'm really wondering whether the last round of reductions will simply be abolished and these new ones take their place, in which case it's not quite so spectacular. We should see tomorrow anyway.
Some big discounts for sure, as you say if it's added to the current discounts then it will be a big saving. For selfish reasons I hope it doesn't affect grey prices ;)

So who's going to be the guinea pig on Thursday to try the new firmware? ;) It's been a while since I've done this with Nikon, but when you save user settings onto a memory card and then load them back onto the camera does it save ALL the current settings including button configuration, file quality, copyright info etc etc, or does it just save the user settings on U1,U2 and U3 but you have to set the rest of the camera back up?

when you save user settings onto a memory card and then load them back onto the camera does it save ALL the current settings including button configuration, file quality, copyright info etc etc, or does it just save the user settings on U1,U2 and U3 but you have to set the rest of the camera back up?
Last time I did it was sometime ago but it didn't save everything and I couldn't work out any logic behind what it did and didn't save, as a result had to go right through the menus. :(

Last time I did it was sometime ago but it didn't save everything and I couldn't work out any logic behind what it did and didn't save, as a result had to go right through the menus. :(
That's annoying, I guess I'll end up doing the same then (y)

So who's going to be the guinea pig on Thursday to try the new firmware? ;) It's been a while since I've done this with Nikon, but when you save user settings onto a memory card and then load them back onto the camera does it save ALL the current settings including button configuration, file quality, copyright info etc etc, or does it just save the user settings on U1,U2 and U3 but you have to set the rest of the camera back up?

With a wedding on the Saturday, not me! Thanks to those who pioneer it, but I don’t want to risk it!

With a wedding on the Saturday, not me! Thanks to those who pioneer it, but I don’t want to risk it!
I shall be waiting a while too ;)

I’ll be getting the new firmware, too curious to try out the new eye detect AF not to!

Grip update (grupdate)
I've just had my Z6 returned after 30 days with a new 129RZ GRIP RUBBER UNIT.
I'd bought from US but I wasn't asked for any payment.
However, no one there can tell me if the replacement grip will have the same issue or not. I've contacted Nikon UK and they don't know either whether the issue is being sorted or not.
Anyone else have any luck?
I might get some kind of cover just in case.

Grip update (grupdate)
I've just had my Z6 returned after 30 days with a new 129RZ GRIP RUBBER UNIT.
I'd bought from US but I wasn't asked for any payment.
However, no one there can tell me if the replacement grip will have the same issue or not. I've contacted Nikon UK and they don't know either whether the issue is being sorted or not.
Anyone else have any luck?
I might get some kind of cover just in case.

Thanks for the update Amanda, glad you got it fixed. I'm going to wait a couple of months or so before sending mine in... good to know they're accepting responsibility (y)

Back