Nikon Z* mirrorless

Grip update (grupdate)
I've just had my Z6 returned after 30 days with a new 129RZ GRIP RUBBER UNIT.
I'd bought from US but I wasn't asked for any payment.
However, no one there can tell me if the replacement grip will have the same issue or not. I've contacted Nikon UK and they don't know either whether the issue is being sorted or not.
Anyone else have any luck?
I might get some kind of cover just in case.
Have you heard of any other cases of this or is this a one off? It would seem a bit odd to me that Nikon would use different material for the Z's compared to their other cameras such as the D850 etc.

Have you heard of any other cases of this or is this a one off? It would seem a bit odd to me that Nikon would use different material for the Z's compared to their other cameras such as the D850 etc.
Lots of people have had issues with the Zs if that's what you're asking?
I've not heard of any of these probs with the DSLRs.
They must have used a new material/supplier ?

Last edited:
Lots of people have had issues with the Zs if that's what your asking?
I've not heard of any of these probs with the DSLRs.
They must have used a new material/supplier ?
That's not good :( Fingers crossed mine's OK. Any idea whether they've changed the material since being aware of issues?

That's not good :( Fingers crossed mine's OK. Any idea whether they've changed the material since being aware of issues?
That's what I *can't* find out! Nikon UK repair guys don't know and claim that it would take weeks to get a reply from Japan! Load of rubbish! I don't know if my repair is done with a new material or not!

Nikon have confirmed exactly what the new firmware will bring, and there’s nothing that we didn’t already know. Seems a decent ‘upgrade’ though.

1. Eye AF
2. AE changes during continuous high extended shooting
3. Improved low light AF (I’ve seen it said -6ev for the Z6 and -4ev for the Z7 but Nikon haven’t confirmed yet AFAIK)
4. CFexpress compatibility.

Last edited:
Nikon summer promotion discounts are up. Such a pity then that no one has the 14-30 F4 S lens in stock for the Z cameras, and don't ever appear to have had any in-stock despite most sites saying "available for pre-order -expected late April" - well, we're a month on from that and still no sign of any. Sigh....

Guess they don't want my money ?

I don't know exactly how much weight it has and how votes are decided but I've just seen that TIPA have awarded the Z6 as the best FF Expert Camera and Z7 as the Best FF Pro camera, not bad for a first attempt.

meantime, Ruby switches on the TV to RTL -- no idea why she particularly likes this channel but she seemed engrossed in the cartoon until
DSC_0992.jpg

this

DSC_0993.jpg
after which she soon switched to something about online dating --maybe a hint?

I don't know exactly how much weight it has and how votes are decided but I've just seen that TIPA have awarded the Z6 as the best FF Expert Camera and Z7 as the Best FF Pro camera, not bad for a first attempt.
not much, I fear, as TIPA sprinkle awards around like confetti.

Just saw this on Flickr. Looking good, knew that lens would be really good on the Z bodies, it's perfect size and weight even with the adapter.
Thanks. Weirdly I have to micro adjust it, so much for no MA on mirrorless :rolleyes:

Grupdate:
Note below from Nikon UK repair centre chap:

"I have spoken with the workshop manager following your query yesterday.
He has confirmed that by replacing the grip which has suffered the issue, we do not anticipate any further faults to occur with the grip. However in the unlikely situation where the fault does reoccur, the grip can be replaced again free of charge under warranty.
In regards to the Z7, the cameras which are affected by this fault were from the early production run and the newer produced Z7 cameras are unlikely to be affected by the same issue. Once again if the fault was to occur this would be repaired under warranty."

Still not 100% clear on which Z6s would have the issue and what they've done to rectify IMHO.

Grupdate:
Note below from Nikon UK repair centre chap:

"I have spoken with the workshop manager following your query yesterday.
He has confirmed that by replacing the grip which has suffered the issue, we do not anticipate any further faults to occur with the grip. However in the unlikely situation where the fault does reoccur, the grip can be replaced again free of charge under warranty.
In regards to the Z7, the cameras which are affected by this fault were from the early production run and the newer produced Z7 cameras are unlikely to be affected by the same issue. Once again if the fault was to occur this would be repaired under warranty."

Still not 100% clear on which Z6s would have the issue and what they've done to rectify IMHO.
Thanks for the update. We can only assume what they have done, but at least they have rectified the issue. It would be nice to know which batches were/are affected though.

Got to say when swapping from Z lenses to AF-S and vice versa it makes you realise just how quick and QUIET the Z lenses are :eek:

Thanks. Weirdly I have to micro adjust it, so much for no MA on mirrorless :rolleyes:

Really?? I was told that this would only occur if the motor gears in a lens would start to fail (i.e. fail to stop when told to, but drag out a bit more)

Really?? I was told that this would only occur if the motor gears in a lens would start to fail (i.e. fail to stop when told to, but drag out a bit more)
Don't know about that, BUT I have heard of it with other mirrorless systems that have employed phase detect. Unfortunately manufacturers won't say when CDAF is used, when hybrid CDAF and PDAF is used, and when it is PDAF only. I guess when it's PDAF only it's open to the same focussing issues as DSLRs. I've heard it said that mirrorless should not suffer from front/back focussing but this can't be true otherwise manufacturers would not put the option in to micro adjust but the Z's do, MY EM1-II has this option, and I believe the Sony A7's also do.

The 85mm is 'acceptable' without MA but if I want it to be absolutely perfect I've found that -3 is best. The test shot above of my dog was without MA and as you can see it's sharp and the eyes are in focus so it's more a case of me being pedantic ;)

Don't know about that, BUT I have heard of it with other mirrorless systems that have employed phase detect. Unfortunately manufacturers won't say when CDAF is used, when hybrid CDAF and PDAF is used, and when it is PDAF only. I guess when it's PDAF only it's open to the same focussing issues as DSLRs. I've heard it said that mirrorless should not suffer from front/back focussing but this can't be true otherwise manufacturers would not put the option in to micro adjust but the Z's do, MY EM1-II has this option, and I believe the Sony A7's also do.

The 85mm is 'acceptable' without MA but if I want it to be absolutely perfect I've found that -3 is best. The test shot above of my dog was without MA and as you can see it's sharp and the eyes are in focus so it's more a case of me being pedantic ;)

Can imagine you in your white lab coat doing these MA

I like sound of these bodies for macro work too, while out at weekend with D850 and 200-500 I thought another body with the 105 macro would be idea as walking around a reserve, anyone using Z6 or Z7 with the Nikon 105macro and adaptor ?

I see that the 50mm f1.8 is now down to £399, more reasonable price but still more than double the 50mm f1.8g.

Further Grupdate...
Quote:
"Unfortunately Nikon Corporation have not officially announced the grip issue with the Z-series camera as a service advisory. This would be shown on our website under our service advisories and would allow you to check if a model has been affected by a particular manufacturing issue.
As this is not the case, I am unable to provide any insight into which serial numbers may be affected by the fault and I do not have any further information regarding this.
Please accept my apologies for this as I am aware it is not the most helpful response when looking to buy a new camera."

I like sound of these bodies for macro work too, while out at weekend with D850 and 200-500 I thought another body with the 105 macro would be idea as walking around a reserve, anyone using Z6 or Z7 with the Nikon 105macro and adaptor ?

Any mirrorless camera will probably be just about ideal for macro as with a magnified view you'll be able to see and focus on detail more accurately than with a purely optical set up such as a SLR/DSLR.

Any mirrorless camera will probably be just about ideal for macro as with a magnified view you'll be able to see and focus on detail more accurately than with a purely optical set up such as a SLR/DSLR.
Do all have focus stacking/focus shift as this would be very handy for static macro work?

Do all have focus stacking/focus shift as this would be very handy for static macro work?

I've no idea. All I know is that the magnified view lets me see detail I could never see with the same focal length lens on a SLR/DSLR and that it's very easy to see the focus moving through the frame like a wave as you turn the focus ring. If the camera is set up on a tripod you can even move the focus point about the frame checking as you go. I've only ever used 35mm compacts, SLR's, DSLR's and now mirrorless but for me modern mirrorless cameras do seem the best way of focusing manually and manually is very possibly how people will be focusing if they're doing macro/close up photography.

I like close up shots of flowers, leaves and "stuff" but something I often do is just take an ordinary non macro lens out and if I take any shots I want to end up as close up shots I shoot at about minimum focus distance use the magnified view to focus accurately and then crop the picture post capture, often to 100%. That's no good if you want a large picture or want to crop even more but if alI I want is a full screen picture of a small flower or a largish print (A4?) to be viewed normally then it's enough...

PS.
The reason I might take an ordinary lens rather than a macro is that my macro lens has a tiny amount of focus movement to get from middle to far distance so it's nice for close up but fiddly for longer distance.

Keeping away from any brand silliness I do think that for macro or even just manual focus in general a mirrorless camera is pretty much ideal and I'd recommend that anyone not familiar with what's possible should give one a try... Maybe just take a small subject such a coin or something that'll fit in a pocket along to a shop and give a mirrorless camera with magnified view a try.

Last edited:
I see that the 50mm f1.8 is now down to £399, more reasonable price but still more than double the 50mm f1.8g.

Yep, it can be had for 350€ plus shipping across Europe. This is very tempting to switch over from the 50/1.8 G.

Yep, it can be had for 350€ plus shipping across Europe. This is very tempting to switch over from the 50/1.8 G.
I'm waiting for the 85mm and then for it to come down in price. As much as I like the look of the 50mm I hardly ever use the one I have :oops: :$

Anyone tried the new firmware yet? I’m more concerned about any effects on settings, button assignments, etc than any functionality.

Anyone tried the new firmware yet? I’m more concerned about any effects on settings, button assignments, etc than any functionality.
Didn’t think it was out until tomorrow?

The two Z lenses that would interest me the most are the 70-200/2.8 and if there will be a 200-500 replacement....but both of them will cost an arm and a leg :)
But I will most likely get the 50/1.8 Z before the promotion runs out...it's just too much of an upgrade to pass it over I guess...

The two Z lenses that would interest me the most are the 70-200/2.8 and if there will be a 200-500 replacement....but both of them will cost an arm and a leg :)
But I will most likely get the 50/1.8 Z before the promotion runs out...it's just too much of an upgrade to pass it over I guess...
70-200mm is one I’m interested in, whether I can ever afford it is a different matter.

70-200mm is one I’m interested in, whether I can ever afford it is a different matter.
Ditto but what I'd also really like is a small walkabout prime.
The Z cameras are compact and the lenses relatively so but there's still nothing the size of old fashioned nifty 50s. I'd like something like a SMALL 24mm prime that can be used without the adapter. I don't know if that's something that would be on the cards?

Ditto but what I'd also really like is a small walkabout prime.
The Z cameras are compact and the lenses relatively so but there's still nothing the size of old fashioned nifty 50s. I'd like something like a SMALL 24mm prime that can be used without the adapter. I don't know if that's something that would be on the cards?
There’s a 20mm f1.8 and 24mm f1.8 on the way but I’m not sure they’ll be small and light

Back