Nikon Z* mirrorless

Can you link exposure to the active focus point (inc. if that is an Eye AF point), rather than matrix etc.? e.g. centre weighted or spot

Last edited:
Can you link exposure to the active focus point (inc. if that is an Eye AF point), rather than matrix etc.? e.g. centre weighted or spot
If it behaves the same as other Nikon's then spot metering is linked to the focus point, and matrix metering has a bias towards the focus point (which isn't great for landscapes tbh). Also, in matrix mode you can set face priority so that if the camera picks up a face in the scene it will bias metering towards that. I haven't tested any of this with the Z7 though.

Have you seen the notice about the recall for Z6? Problem with the VR on some models.
Great, here we go again with Nikon :rolleyes: I promised myself after the D750 'fiasco' that I was always going to wait a year or so before buying a new Nikon model, maybe I should have listened to myself ;)

I would have thought that both Z's use the same system so if one's affected then surely both will be? I've just googled and can't find a recall for either though???

Have you seen the notice about the recall for Z6? Problem with the VR on some models.
On the service advisory, mine also seems unaffected though, other than my comment below, I've not had any significant issues

In general, there have been some issues with "shutter shock" particularly around the 1/60 to 1/100 mark which has plagued most mirrorless cameras to some extent and indeed I have had a few experiences of that kind as well though the few times I've seen it with the Z6 seem to be mainly with F lenses. The usual solution these days --which indeed seems pretty effective --is to use EFCS when shooting in this range or indeed as a standard solution for exposures under 1/2000. It is nice that you now have an AUTO setting for this which Luftwalk has said switches to mechanical at 1/320. A very sensible implementation imo which I'll certainly use after I've updated my firmware.

Last edited:
Neither is mine.

Mine isn't recalled neither. Maybe the first batch released is affected?

Btw, as far as I know, there has been no additional info on the 70-200/2.8 Z when it comes to release date and pricing?

I'm very seriously thinking of chopping in all my Fuji gear (see my sig below), and running just Micro Four Thirds and Nikon FF (with the Z6). As good as the Fuji system is (and it is really good), IQ wise, it sort of sits in a no man's land between both of them (and to be honest, is probably nearer to M4/3 than FF in my opinion), so just isn't getting the use it deserves. I;ve already got a good price from MPB and just have to give it a little more thought.

I've been toying for a while of the idea of getting a Z7 to go alongside the Z6, but not sure (other than the obvious MP increase) what the Z7 will offer me over the Z6 ?

Thoughts?

I've been toying for a while of the idea of getting a Z7 to go alongside the Z6, but not sure (other than the obvious MP increase) what the Z7 will offer me over the Z6 ?

Thoughts?

As far as I know the only other difference apart from MP is the lack of an AA filter on the Z7. If you need the high rez then I would say it's a good option, but I will likely wait out and see what kind of DX offerings they will bring in the Z mount.

On the service advisory, mine also seems unaffected though, other than my comment below, I've not had any significant issues

In general, there have been some issues with "shutter shock" particularly around the 1/60 to 1/100 mark which has plagued most mirrorless cameras to some extent and indeed I have had a few experiences of that kind as well though the few times I've seen it with the Z6 seem to be mainly with F lenses. The usual solution these days --which indeed seems pretty effective --is to use EFCS when shooting in this range or indeed as a standard solution for exposures under 1/2000. It is nice that you now have an AUTO setting for this which Luftwalk has said switches to mechanical at 1/320. A very sensible implementation imo which I'll certainly use after I've updated my firmware.

It's not just a mirrorless issue and I suspect it's not "most" either. Some DSLR's have had this although as I'm not really interested in DSLR's anymore I can't remember the details.

Mine says not affected 7203XXXX

I’m waiting for a card reader to come from amazon for the firmware.

I'm very seriously thinking of chopping in all my Fuji gear (see my sig below), and running just Micro Four Thirds and Nikon FF (with the Z6). As good as the Fuji system is (and it is really good), IQ wise, it sort of sits in a no man's land between both of them (and to be honest, is probably nearer to M4/3 than FF in my opinion), so just isn't getting the use it deserves. I;ve already got a good price from MPB and just have to give it a little more thought.

Thoughts?
Well if you do - let me know! Holding out on going FF for now but might be tempted to upgrade to an XT3.

yes, some DSLR's I believe also had this issue though none I owned and of also lens based stabilisation systems. From my own experience, I'm mainly thinking about m43. Poor AF with slower lenses could also give similar if not identical results. At any rate, I think my conclusion about using EFCS is widely shared.

It's not just a mirrorless issue and I suspect it's not "most" either. Some DSLR's have had this although as I'm not really interested in DSLR's anymore I can't remember the details.

Complete waste of time, testing one with native lenses vs two with adapted :rolleyes:

His channel is a waste of time in general IMO.

What is all this eye-AF neediness these days anyway? Making me wonder if photographers these days can work AF points at all! it seems to be the main thing they're chasing, people switching whole systems just to keep up with the latest in eye-AF tech. I get it's use .. just don't so much get the need, plain old face detect seems good enough for general use

Last edited:
testing the options that are currently available. probably helpful to those who have to adapt.
But why not test the 24-70mm f2.8 on both, this would give a better comparison to how good the actual Eye-AF is, and after all this appears to be the point of the video.
Apparently DSLRs can be affected by shutter shock, hence why some of the newer DSLRs offer EFCS. DSLRs can also suffer mirror slap.

Thoughts?
The only differences are extra MP, no AA filter, more AF points (although I've deactivated half of mine), lower fps and not as good in low light (both in AF and ISO). Also, makes sense to me to ditch the Fuji.
The Nikon was tested with native glass and still didn’t preform as well.

Yes I’m sure the native 70-200 will improve over the adapted glass but when will it be out and how much will it cost (£3k[emoji848])
I missed that bit, but I have said in various places that Nikon can't match Sony yet (y)
His channel is a waste of time in general IMO.

What is all this eye-AF neediness these days anyway? Making me wonder if photographers these days can work AF points at all! it seems to be the main thing they're chasing, people switching whole systems just to keep up with the latest in eye-AF tech. I get it's use .. just don't so much get the need, plain old face detect seems god enough for general use
I'm not sure when I'll use Eye-AF tbh, certainly not something I'd buy a camera for (y)

It looks as though low light AF wasn't improved as much as first thought when using normal AF mode. The Z7 has changed from -1 to -2ev, but with -4ev in low light AF mode. The Z6 has changed from -2 to -3.5ev with -6ev in low light AF mode. Still pretty respectable. I've not used low light AF mode yet to see how slow it is, has anyone else?

I'm not sure when I'll use Eye-AF tbh, certainly not something I'd buy a camera for (y)

Same, though I have become a bit of an IBIS whore, I never meant this to happen :facepalm: But I can easily make the case for IBIS, as someone who likes to use primes and adapt non OIS lenses in general it's pretty straight forward. It's not just the ability to use slower SS using them, but composing any image at any FL and any SS overall, IBIS adds that lovely steadiness and you feel much more comfortable about the shot.

Eye-AF ... I can see it being useful for weddings where the photographer is constantly on the move and you don't get second chances at those vital one off moments, or for sports if eye-AF is good enough to keep up with the players - but for most of us who have the chance to slow things up, re-take shots etc is it really an essential? I feel the same about insane fps. I can't think of any time that I would need 10+ fps bursts. They are better to have than not I guess, but I wouldn't chose a camera based on those features either.

As good as the Fuji system is (and it is really good), IQ wise, it sort of sits in a no man's land between both of them (and to be honest, is probably nearer to M4/3 than FF in my opinion)

Thoughts?

I'm about to do a full on direct comparison [just for my own curiosity] between Fuji and M43 this eve. Been meaning to do it since I got the XH1. I did some very brief side by sides but nothing really technical. If anything, it showed M43 is a lot more capable than many would like to give it credit for. It'll never be the shallow DOF, ultimate low light system that people desire in camera gear nowadays but I think i prefer it for the opposite - controlled lighting, macro or decent light wildlife for example. When it does come to dimmer light conditions though, the Fuji seemed to eat it alive, as I expected. At least a stop better in low light while also preserving much better detail [especially above 3200] I was going to get a G9, but thought may as well try something different, and the H1 is pretty much a G9 crossed with an XT2, which is about all the camera I would ever need. But ... I'm not about to just kill off M43 just yet!

If I had a FF system like you do though, I would certainly be offing one or other M43/APSC. No need to have both along with FF which you will most likely yse more than bother others combined

Last edited:
Same, though I have become a bit of an IBIS whore, I never meant this to happen :facepalm: But I can easily make the case for IBIS, as someone who likes to use primes and adapt non OIS lenses in general it's pretty straight forward. It's not just the ability to use slower SS using them, but composing any image at any FL and any SS overall, IBIS adds that lovely steadiness and you feel much more comfortable about the shot.

Eye-AF ... I can see it being useful for weddings where the photographer is constantly on the move and you don't get second chances at those vital one off moments, or for sports if eye-AF is good enough to keep up with the players - but for most of us who have the chance to slow things up, re-take shots etc is it really an essential? I feel the same about insane fps. I can't think of any time that I would need 10+ fps bursts. They are better to have than not I guess, but I wouldn't chose a camera based on those features either.
I can see a 'use' for such features but they are not essential imo. I've managed to take pics of kids running about, runners etc etc and got the eye in focus without the use of eye-AF. I do like higher frame rates when I'm trying slow shutter pans as hit rate is minimal at 1/15 for me, so having those extra frames does help improve the chance of getting something sharp. That being said, I've managed with 6.5fps and I'm sure I can manage with the 5.5fps of the Z7 (although tbh the EM1-II is going to be my main motorsports camera).

Despite saying I wasn't going to I tool the plunge and updated the firmware, all settings seem to have been preserved. Eye-AF doesn't work on my dog, at least not with the AF-P 70-300mm.

Despite saying I wasn't going to I tool the plunge and updated the firmware, all settings seem to have been preserved. Eye-AF doesn't work on my dog, at least not with the AF-P 70-300mm.
try harder. Across on dpreview, folk have been having success with photos of dogs, though I assume they're not particularly mobile which makes you think you might as well just use MF... :D.

Just received the adapter for my Konica Hexanon 57mm. This was shot at f1.4. Not sure about the bokeh. But in general use the lens seems excellent and easy to focus.

Churchyard @f1.4 by Stephen Lee, on Flickr
fascinating swirly bokeh. Quite different from Nikon classics like the 35m f1.4 AIS which I used to own or the 50mm f1.2 which I have now. And even more different from the modern smooth look.

Getting a bit fed up of not being able to track down a 14-30. Like to have it for Bank Holiday. If I can’t order in time I might just buy adapted something wide or get a Fuji 10-24 and X-T1 used.

try harder. Across on dpreview, folk have been having success with photos of dogs, though I assume they're not particularly mobile which makes you think you might as well just use MF... :D.
Did they say whether they used native or adapted lenses. I'll try it with the 24-70mm f4 at some point, but with the AF-P 70-300mm it didn't even pick up her eyes let alone track them.

Getting a bit fed up of not being able to track down a 14-30. Like to have it for Bank Holiday. If I can’t order in time I might just buy adapted something wide or get a Fuji 10-24 and X-T1 used.
my local camera shop had one in the window last week though it's showing out of stock now. Can't see much sign of it in the UK -- Wex is even showing it as a preorder!

Thoughts?

If you do sell your Fuji gear, I could be interested in the 10-24mm.

Back