Nikon Z* mirrorless

@lunar22

Technical...way outa my comfort zone. But I’ll examine the RAW and shoot contre jour when I get a chance and report back.
well i don't of course mean TECHNICAL technical. I don't understand a word of that either! Simply any more useful tidbits of information would be welcomed.

Gotta be careful. I’m in the garden, few beers, iPad, Z7 looks good...

Did you pull the trigger as noticed a used I’ve gone from Harrison’s

how many did you get in the end then??

Haha. Mr Sensible came to my rescue.

Usually have a beer on Fridays...

Actually really happy with the 6. And I know I mentioned getting a second body, sometime, maybe...

But I don’t wanna have to upgrade my computer to handle enormous files.

first up is, being a 14mm shot, a slightly unconventional take on the newish Stuttgart City Library.
DSC_1355.jpg

Not only the most photographed building in the city for some reason but a major international photo competition was won by a Hungarian taking a snapshot almost identical to exhibit 2 taken with the FujiX kit lens at 28mm equivalent (prefect for smartphones!) a while back. Made a lot of locals, who have all also taken the same picture, green with envy :puke:

_1XE6426.jpg

@lunar22
And anyone else who might be interested
Couple of low contrast shots, before and and after a quick edit.
Tried really hard to introduce flare with the first.

Ooops, should have mentioned these are from the 14-30

Into this mornings sun, as shot.
As shot flare test.jpg by Trevor, on Flickr

After edit
Edited flare test.jpg by Trevor, on Flickr

Taken in very flat light, as shot.
Bridge un-edited.jpg by Trevor, on Flickr

After edit.
Not exactly brought it to life.
After edit by Trevor, on Flickr

Last edited:
@lunar22
And anyone else who might be interested
Couple of low contrast shots, before and and after a quick edit.
Tried really hard to introduce flare with the first.

Ooops, should have mentioned these are from the 14-30

Into this mornings sun, as shot.
As shot flare test.jpg by Trevor, on Flickr

After edit
Edited flare test.jpg by Trevor, on Flickr

Taken in very flat light, as shot.
Bridge un-edited.jpg by Trevor, on Flickr

After edit.
Not exactly brought it to life.
After edit by Trevor, on Flickr
thanks for these -- doesn't look like too many flare issues then. My cheapo Samyang is also pretty respectable in this department although sun just out of the frame is always the toughest test.

14-30 arrived so I took a few quick snaps.
No cropping except a little keystone on the clock tower.

14-30 @ 14mm F6.3.JPG14-30 @ 14mm F8.JPG14-30 @ 27mm.JPG

I don't have a Flickr account so these do not transfer as sharply as they appear on my home files.
1st 2 are at 14mm, tree is at 27mm.

Last edited:
Thanks Trevor. I’ve had this in mind for a few weeks and was waiting for the right combination of river force and height, and light.

Worth waiting for.

Anyone point me in the right direction for a good quality screen protector, both back and top for my Z6? Also I've big hands and my little finger struggles to stay on the grip, anyone recommend a plate extension plate for the bottom? I've mostly manfrotto tripods so it'd need to be compatible with their quick release plate. Many thanks.

Anyone point me in the right direction for a good quality screen protector, both back and top for my Z6? Also I've big hands and my little finger struggles to stay on the grip, anyone recommend a plate extension plate for the bottom? I've mostly manfrotto tripods so it'd need to be compatible with their quick release plate. Many thanks.
I bought one of these. Excellent as a landing-point for your pinkie!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LIMS-Gen...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Looks nice but a bit pricey and the step out down the grip would annoy me I think.
You don’t notice the step. Compared with the cost of the camera it’s a bargain considering the comfort it gives me; you pay for quality. Oh, and you can remove the Arca plate (but why?).

I've always used the Atfolix screen protectors, they do one for the Z's with and it looks like it comes with the protector for the top LCD too looking at the pics. They're only the 'plastic' type protectors rather than glass, but I've never been a fan of the glass ones.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/atFoliX-Sh...ds=atfolix+z7&qid=1559669211&s=gateway&sr=8-1

I have quite large hands so my little finger easily wraps under the bottom, I actually prefer it this way :oops: :$

A few from a walk in the Lake District over the bank holiday weekend. I was only quickly snapping (and landscapes aren't my forte) but it was good to put the Z6 and 24-70 (f/4) through it's paces. Loved shooting with the combo, the end results are fairly average but that's due to me (and as I didn't LOVE any of the shots processing has been limited)

DSC_0424e by Chris Willetts, on Flickr

DSC_0441e by Chris Willetts, on Flickr

DSC_0430e by Chris Willetts, on Flickr

Chris

Last edited:
With rumours heating up about a very likely Z9 ["pro" spec ...] , Z5 [APSC apparently] and even Z3 [compact, no evf, APSC] , I wonder how the prices on the current duo will pan out? We could also start to see many of them pop up on used sale sites

Last edited:
With rumours heating up about a very likely Z9 ["pro" spec ...] , Z5 [APSC apparently] and even Z3 [compact, no evf, APSC] , I wonder how the prices on the current duo will pan out? We could also start to see many of them pop up on used sale sites
I don’t think too many will pop up tbh. IF the Z9 is a ‘pro sports’ cam then it’ll likely be up around the £5k mark, and those that have bought the FF Z6/7 are unlikely to want APS-C. The APS-C could be very interesting though, especially if they bring out specific DX lenses.

I would be well up for an Z9. Dual slots, Sony quality af and able to take a grip. Could well be a winner.

I don’t think too many will pop up tbh. IF the Z9 is a ‘pro sports’ cam then it’ll likely be up around the £5k mark, and those that have bought the FF Z6/7 are unlikely to want APS-C. The APS-C could be very interesting though, especially if they bring out specific DX lenses.

I can see a good amount of Z7 owners trade up for it. Isn't one of the main complaints the AF seeds? the other being the single slot - the APSC version might tempt some wildlife photographers who took a chance on the Z6 to trade over too - if it's more of a D500 than D7000 in ML form. Even without people trading in, I do think prices will fall on these 2 a bit. I kinda fancy the Z6 but I would be adapting old familiar lenses for a while. None of these companies are enticing the more budget conscious shooter when it comes to new mount lenses. There should always be options for them

Last edited:
I would be well up for an Z9. Dual slots, Sony quality af and able to take a grip. Could well be a winner.
Me too, but I’m sure it’ll be out of my price range.
I can see a good amount of Z7 owners trade up for it. Isn't one of the main complaints the AF seeds? the other being the single slot - the APSC version might tempt some wildlife photographers who took a chance on the Z6 to trade over too - if it's more of a D500 than D7000 in ML form. Even without people trading in, I do think prices will fall on these 2 a bit. I kinda fancy the Z6 but I would be adapting old familiar lenses for a while. None of these companies are enticing the more budget conscious shooter when it comes to new mount lenses. There should always be options for them
Prices will always fall, and these two could easily fall more quickly than others have. There will be some that move to a Z9 for sure, but I think the price would prevent a lot, for quite a while anyway.

I don’t think there’s anything to complain about in terms of AF speeds tbh, it’s frame rate with real time view and EVF refresh rate that prevent them from being good sports cameras imo.

If the DX body does come out then Nikon could be the first of the three big boys to offer a more budget option, although they could of course go the same route as the S mount and Fuji and concentrate on top end glass.

Nikon will certainly expand on their mirrorless range. The current Z series was a "toe in the water" to try to flesh out the bones of a marketing prediction. Which direction(s) it will take is purely speculation based, partly, on the dreams of those whose photographic leanings mean that a particular feature is lacking. The truth is, no camera will ever be perfect for everyone. As an example, I find the Z6 fulfils all of my photographic requirements, although there are certain aspects of the configuration that I wish were slightly different. But I have no need for grips, faster focus, extra memory slots or some of the more esoteric dreams. Other people do. that's life (or photography).

Nikon will certainly expand on their mirrorless range. The current Z series was a "toe in the water" to try to flesh out the bones of a marketing prediction. Which direction(s) it will take is purely speculation based, partly, on the dreams of those whose photographic leanings mean that a particular feature is lacking. The truth is, no camera will ever be perfect for everyone. As an example, I find the Z6 fulfils all of my photographic requirements, although there are certain aspects of the configuration that I wish were slightly different. But I have no need for grips, faster focus, extra memory slots or some of the more esoteric dreams. Other people do. that's life (or photography).
I have to say the Z7 has exceeded my expectations and is a great first attempt imo. The one card slot has not bothered me as much as I thought it would (but then I'm not a pro so won't be a complete disaster if I get a card failure) and AF is considerably better than I thought it would be. As I've mentioned before the main thing that prevents it being my 'forever' camera is the frame rate and black out with real time view. I can see myself changing to a newer version in the future, but I think that there'd need to be other 'upgrades' to justify the outlay, as frame rate alone won't be enough. A faster EVF refresh and faster sensor readout time (preferably global shutter) would make it worth while imo.

But I'm in no rush, I'm really happy with the Z7 (y). It's weird as I know that the D850 is a better camera, and as much as I respected it I never fully gelled with it and didn't get the same enjoyment from using it.

I have to say the Z7 has exceeded my expectations and is a great first attempt imo. The one card slot has not bothered me as much as I thought it would (but then I'm not a pro so won't be a complete disaster if I get a card failure) and AF is considerably better than I thought it would be. As I've mentioned before the main thing that prevents it being my 'forever' camera is the frame rate and black out with real time view. I can see myself changing to a newer version in the future, but I think that there'd need to be other 'upgrades' to justify the outlay, as frame rate alone won't be enough. A faster EVF refresh and faster sensor readout time (preferably global shutter) would make it worth while imo.

But I'm in no rush, I'm really happy with the Z7 (y). It's weird as I know that the D850 is a better camera, and as much as I respected it I never fully gelled with it and didn't get the same enjoyment from using it.

Pretty much how I feel, there aren't any bad cameras these days anyway. Slightly ironic given my recent Z7 purchase but if you just chase the latest technonlogy you will probably end up disappointed. And yes prices will fall on the current Z camera's but that's no different to any other tech is it?

Very happy with my 7, it is a lot better than many of the forums would lead you to believe.

Prices will always fall, and these two could easily fall more quickly than others have. There will be some that move to a Z9 for sure, but I think the price would prevent a lot, for quite a while anyway.

I don’t think there’s anything to complain about in terms of AF speeds tbh, it’s frame rate with real time view and EVF refresh rate that prevent them from being good sports cameras imo.

I'm sure the 7 is absolutely fine, I think there's an awful lot of needless nay saying online about all of these new cameras. Most of the moaning is related to features most of us will never take full advantage of. How many of us on here make use of 4K video on a regular basis? How many times have you wished your screen flipped out? [most times when I had a flip screen I wished it was a plain tilting one] Do any of us need 30fps burst modes to get one keeper of a BIF? Does anyone on the planet actually 'need' Animal eye-AF??

When the prices do fall I will be very tempted by a Z6 [or if I happen to come into money anytime soon!] I like the look of it, I prefer the style of it and ergonomics [judging only by images and videos, but it's not hard to tell] to the Sony bodies. I like the Canon R too but it's lacking IBIS and that alone makes the Z6 more appealing. Video features and tonnes of AF features do not interest me personally. The R has been over the top slated since it's release mostly because it's lacking on that front, if it had IBIS I think it would be an easy choice for me, because I'm already adapting Canon lenses, have been for a while now. I honestly considered it over the XH1 I ended up buying, I mean I bought a Canon AF adapter from the off with that. It was the IBIS hooked me in, I can't 'shake' it off! :D

But ... Nikon have some oldies I really liked, such as the 85 1.8G, and I wouldn't mind having a Z with only adapted G lenses. They can look a little funky :D but who cares? It looks a fun body to work with.

These 3 shots were taken yesterday with a Yashica ML 28mm lens from my Contax RTS. They are exactly as imported into Lightroom, with no extra corrections applied. The preset used in camera was "Camera Standard v2" and applied by LR. To say I'm happy with this lens is an understatement.

Ribble at Langcliffe by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

Leaves by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

Poppies by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

Back