Nikon Z* mirrorless

I don't think it does annoyingly. It's probably a carry over from the DSLRs where you had the drive dial on top of the cameras and so wasn't part of the user settings. No reason they couldn't add it to the user settings now though, maybe it's worth contacting Nikon as a feature enhancement?

On other news it looks at though the 85mm f1.8 Z is finally announced, pre-orders £799 :oops: :$

It also looks to be one hell of a lens if MTFs are to be believed. It says shipping in September....we'll see soon enough :)

It also looks to be one hell of a lens if MTFs are to be believed. It says shipping in September....we'll see soon enough :)
I'll take your word for it, I still can't get my head around those charts ;)

Edit: Just revisited a "how to read MTF" page and I think this time it's finally making sense ;) So if I'm right, according to the MTF the new 85mm has superb contrast and sharpness across most of the frame, very little in the way of distortion and well controlled astigmatism and CA?

Last edited:
I don't think it does annoyingly. It's probably a carry over from the DSLRs where you had the drive dial on top of the cameras and so wasn't part of the user settings. No reason they couldn't add it to the user settings now though, maybe it's worth contacting Nikon as a feature enhancement?

On other news it looks at though the 85mm f1.8 Z is finally announced, pre-orders £799 :oops: :$
Grrr. Another thing for me to try to remember.

The 85mm is just that bit short to encourage me to drop my 70-300 in its favour. Not unreasonably priced considering other Z lenses, though.

Getting the GAS itch again so wanted to check in with the Z6 community and see if you are all still happy with the camera and lenses. Did the FW update bring about the promised improvements in AF speed and accuracy? Particularly interested in hearing from any ex-Fuji users about your experience and if you'd still make the switch having used both systems for a while.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Getting the GAS itch again so wanted to check in with the Z6 community and see if you are all still happy with the camera and lenses. Did the FW update bring about the promised improvements in AF speed and accuracy? Particularly interested in hearing from any ex-Fuji users about your experience and if you'd still make the switch having used both systems for a while.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Actually out today shooting the Z and Fuji X-H1
Both terrific cameras, very happy to have the Z and would buy it again.
I thought that for my uses the focus was ok before the update.
Tried the Eye af, probably don't really know what to expect, not really bothered to much shooting people except a vey small Granddaughter who at the moment is pretty stationary.

Thanks in advance

Dave
Still happy. An improvement from the X-H1 for me, as images just seem "crisper". Maybe the X-T3 would have made up for that deficit, but then I would lose the IBIS. TBH the firmware made not a jot of difference to me, but then I thought it was fine anyway. I don't tend to shoot a) things with pulses and b) things which move faster than me.

Need to get this thread back on the front page.
Out today with the 35mm

Bronzed.jpg by Trevor, on Flickr

DSC_2660.jpg by Trevor, on Flickr

DSC_2661.jpg by Trevor, on Flickr

DSC_2647.jpg by Trevor, on Flickr
Nice, looks like there were some cracking bikes out. Where was this? Taken some bikes out for test rides this week as looking to get back into it, just need to find a money tree now ;)

Thanks in advance

Dave
More than happy with my Z7. I don't use it for sports or wildlife though, but it's exceeded my expectations.

@snerkler

Newlands Corner Guildford

Seems to be a bit of a Bikers meeting point on a Sunny Sunday morning.

@snerkler

Newlands Corner Guildford

Seems to be a bit of a Bikers meeting point on a Sunny Sunday morning.
Cool. We have similar places up here, Matlock Bath probably being the most 'famous' (y)

Ted by Trevor Martin, on Flickr

Nikon Z6 with the Techart Sony/Nikon Z adaptor and the Sony 85mm F1.8 lens.. I hope they update the Techart firmware quickly as it is far from speedy..

Ted by Trevor Martin, on Flickr

Nikon Z6 with the Techart Sony/Nikon Z adaptor and the Sony 85mm F1.8 lens.. I hope they update the Techart firmware quickly as it is far from speedy..
Any reason for going with this setup?
There is going to be a native 85mm/1.8 soon enough.

For me the main advantage of this adapter is for using loxia or voigtlanger lenses with electronic communications intact.

Last edited:
Any reason for going with this setup?
There is going to be a native 85mm/1.8 soon enough.

For me the main advantage of this adapter is for using loxia or voigtlanger lenses with electronic communications intact.

Not really ... simple curiosity.. About 3 days after I received the adaptor, Nikon announced their 85 was actually going to be launched...

Not really ... simple curiosity.. About 3 days after I received the adaptor, Nikon announced their 85 was actually going to be launched...
Looks like you weren't happy with the AF :-/
Did the stabilization work well?

Looks like you weren't happy with the AF :-/
Did the stabilization work well?

Stabilisation appeared to work ok. The AF worked in fits and starts. It seemed to focus on everything I individually focused on and then it would just refuse to do so no matter where I pointed the camera. Then it would suddenly regain focus and away it went again. I am sure I have read somewhere of a beta tested update to the firmware that brought about big improvements to speed and accuracy ..... A good start though as it is a well made little adaptor with a docking station supplied to allow firmware upgrades.

I'm sorely tempted to make the jump from D600 to Z6. I'd probably opt to chop in all my kit as the benefit of the smaller lighter Z6 would be negated by big 2.8 glass hung off the front of it!

I'm sorely tempted to make the jump from D600 to Z6. I'd probably opt to chop in all my kit as the benefit of the smaller lighter Z6 would be negated by big 2.8 glass hung off the front of it!

would still be smaller than D610+24-70mm/2.8.

Also the Z 24-70/2.8 is sharper and has better IQ, ergonomics etc.

I guess it depends if native lenses will replace what you’re using at the moment.
But the Z is a great system. If a little limited on available focal lengths.

would still be smaller than D610+24-70mm/2.8.

Also the Z 24-70/2.8 is sharper and has better IQ, ergonomics etc.

Does the handling get completely trashed by putting a 24-70 2.8 and FTZ on the front of the Z6?

Does the handling get completely trashed by putting a 24-70 2.8 and FTZ on the front of the Z6?

When I first acquired my Z6. It came with the super 24-70 f4. I used a Siggy 35 and 85 f1.4 with the FTZ. I managed pretty well, but decided to go native. Really happy with the 35 and 50mm f1.8 primes. Didn’t replace the 85, sold it.
Waiting for the 24, hopefully around the corner.
Handling with the 2 adapted, even tried the 70-200. I could have lived with.

Not tried that lens; I use the "kit" 24-70, which I find superb on the Z6. Tried the Tamron 17-35 on the FTZ which felt clumsy - mainly because of its breadth. The Nikon 70-300 sits well on the FTZ, though. But if you can, native lenses are the way to go.

When's the 70-200mm coming out??
I'm gagging for it (so much so that I'm worried I won't wait for the price to drop, as it's going to be mucho £££ I suspect!)
It is frustrating that a long lens is so slow at being released, although as a normal-to-wide shooter I'm not overly concerned.

Not tried it with Z bodies but I'd imagine so tbh

It's no more expensive than the competition.
No, but it is more expensive than getting the old G lens and adapting. Either way, it's still very expensive regardless of the competition. £2100 is a lot of money in anyone's language (y)

Anyone got the 24-70 f2.8 yet? (And how is it if you have?) £1669 on e-infin

Yes mine popped through the door the other day. Apart from the usual photos of my hairy toes and the dog looking at me with despair ... yet again :) I haven't really tested it out. It does balance well with my Z6 and is very well built.... Cant wait to put it to the test at my daughters wedding in Kefalonia next week. Decided to keep my 24-70 F4 and 35mm F1.8 as I like the new lenses so much.

Last edited:
Back