Nikon Z* mirrorless

Yes mine popped through the door the other day. Apart from the usual photos of my hairy toes and the dog looking at me with despair ... yet again :) I haven't really tested it out. It does balances well with my Z6 and is very well built.... Cant wait to put it to the test at my daughters wedding in Kefalonia next week. Decided to keep my 24-70 F4 and 35mm F1.8 as I like the new lenses so much.
I look forward to some real-world comparisons between both 24-70s at regular, ie, f5.6 - f8 apertures.

No, but it is more expensive than getting the old G lens and adapting. Either way, it's still very expensive regardless of the competition. £2100 is a lot of money in anyone's language (y)
It is but did you really expect them to price it as much as the old G

Especially when it's the best lens in its class.

Last edited:
It is but did you really expect them to price it as much as the old G

Especially when it's the best lens in its class.
No, that wasn't my point. My point was it's expensive period. But I could say that for most new lenses these days ;)

ignore this.
I've just got a Flickr account and haven't worked out how to link correctly.
Also, is public view the recommended setting on flickr?

Last edited:
ignore this.
I've just got a Flickr account and haven't worked out how to link correctly.
Also, is public view the recommended setting on flickr?

Are you on a PC or looking to link through your phone?

On PC, down in the right hand corner by your image you'll see a little arrow [pointing right] to open the sharing options. In the pop up box, along the top click BBcode, and then in the drop down below the image url select medium, with 800 being the longer side of the image, then copy and paste the image url on here.

Mine is set to public, I mean why not? I only ever upload images there that I want to share, I don't mind who sees them. If I wanted to keep images private it wouldn't be Flickr I'd use, I'd use one drive or Google photos or one of those to share with specific people

Me too..

just spent 2 1/2 weeks in Scotland and the north of England, getting off to a good start by forgetting to bring my FTZ adaptor :oops: :$ so was restricted to the kit lens. Not that it mattered that much as there were only a handful of shots I really needed a telephoto for beyond cropping and I didn't take many anyway. Other than seeking asylum at a farmhouse, Ruby eventually settled to become a tolerably well-behaved dog.

DSC_2153.jpg by David Owen, on Flickr

DSC_2162.jpg by David Owen, on Flickr

DSC_2160.jpg by David Owen, on Flickr

just spent 2 1/2 weeks in Scotland and the north of England, getting off to a good start by forgetting to bring my FTZ adaptor :oops: :$ so was restricted to the kit lens. Not that it mattered that much as there were only a handful of shots I really needed a telephoto for beyond cropping and I didn't take many anyway. Other than seeking asylum at a farmhouse, Ruby eventually settled to become a tolerably well-behaved dog.

DSC_2153.jpg by David Owen, on Flickr

DSC_2162.jpg by David Owen, on Flickr

DSC_2160.jpg by David Owen, on Flickr
Nice shots. Sorry to have missed you, but a session on a hospital sunbed (aka CT scanner) beckoned.

just to echo your thoughts, Stephen, I was very pleased with the results from my holiday snaps from a technical point of view, often in poor weather which accompanied us much of the time. I liked the rendering from the Z6 24-70 combo and every shot was perfectly focussed -- far from the case with my previous Fuji kit. With luck we'll meet up next time I'm passing through Settle but unfortunately it clashed with your sunbed session on this occasion.

I should now have a session with the 70-300 -- remarkably I haven't used it since Easter as testing UWA's and a couple of tele primes occupied me since then.

just to echo your thoughts, Stephen, I was very pleased with the results from my holiday snaps from a technical point of view, often in poor weather which accompanied us much of the time. I liked the rendering from the Z6 24-70 combo and every shot was perfectly focussed -- far from the case with my previous Fuji kit. With luck we'll meet up next time I'm passing through Settle but unfortunately it clashed with your sunbed session on this occasion.

I should now have a session with the 70-300 -- remarkably I haven't used it since Easter as testing UWA's and a couple of tele primes occupied me since then.

I too have hardly used the 70-300 since I bought it. If Nikon produced a sensible 100-150 lens (don't mind if it's a prime) then that would be more appealing.

Hah - sunbeds! The amount of MRI, CT and X-ray scans I've had over the past couple of weeks certainly should be making me glow - from the inside. :cool:

I don't think that appeal is the problem with the 70-300 -- it's a more than capable general telephoto and the sort of thing which could take over 50% of landscapes in certain situations -- it's just I haven't been taking the sort of shots which really demand it. In fact I took it on my short family-visiting June trip to Scotland but didn't use it then either. On the other hand, a third of my Greece photos in late March used it.

May I ask what model the 70-300mm is please? I'm on the look out for a sharp telephoto lens to add to my z6 kit for a reasonable price.

This is where I'm getting confused with the models, I've seen a AFS Nikkor 70-300 mm f/4.5-5.6g ED VR and a AF zoom Nikkor 70-300 mm f/4.5-5.6g. Are there any noticable differences between the lenses, ones to look out for or not even consider?

This is where I'm getting confused with the models, I've seen a AFS Nikkor 70-300 mm f/4.5-5.6g ED VR and a AF zoom Nikkor 70-300 mm f/4.5-5.6g. Are there any noticable differences between the lenses, ones to look out for or not even consider?

Been a while since I shot Nikon,, but I think the difference is one has VR and will be optically superior. Either should work on FF, so long as you don't think you're getting a bargain and get the DX version

Last edited:
Forget the AF zoom Nikkor it’s not great. The AF-S 70-300mm G VR is very good, and the AF-P 70-300mm f4.5-5.6e VR is the best, although does vignette badly.

Been a while since I shot Nikon,, but I think the difference is one has VR and will be optically superior. Either should work on FF, so long as you don't think you're getting a bargain and get the DX version

Yes, I had spotted the DX variants of this lens. It would be a FX that I'm looking for.

Af-P are the latest models. There are 2 DX versions (one with Vr and one without) and one FX version.
Consensus seems to be that Fx version is a little better, and beats the previous AF - S version at the long end.

Some more detail
http://www.dslrbodies.com/lenses/ni...-lens-reviews/nikon-70-300mm-f45-56-af-p.html

Thanks for the link Peter, I will take a look at the reviews and make a decision with a little more knowledge than just buying blind.

Forget the AF zoom Nikkor it’s not great. The AF-S 70-300mm G VR is very good, and the AF-P 70-300mm f4.5-5.6e VR is the best, although does vignette badly.

The Af zoom version I have seen for sale at a very cheap price, with what you have said I can see why it is very cheap. The AF-S version is in my sort of price range at just over £200 used. I do have a need for a zoom lens but cant justify the £500 price tag for the AF-P version just yet.

the AF-P which I was referring to, is far better near the edges in particular than the AF-S G VR which I have also owned (2 different copies in fact). With its modern AF, it's the obvious choice for the Z system unless you're made of money. Give us a 70-200 f4 or even a native version of the AF-P then it might be time to look anew though I could see myself sticking with this for quite a long time.

the AF-P which I was referring to, is far better near the edges in particular than the AF-S G VR which I have also owned (2 different copies in fact). With its modern AF, it's the obvious choice for the Z system unless you're made of money. Give us a 70-200 f4 or even a native version of the AF-P then it might be time to look anew though I could see myself sticking with this for quite a long time.
That's the one I have, though I cannot with any authority comment on it in detail as I've only used it for 50 or so shots. It's a "come in handy" lens for me.

Just to keep the thread running, here's another from my first outing with the Z6, in February. Still loving it, still loving that 24-70 f4.

Hardknott Fort by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

Why does the 24-70 F4 get a bad rep? Most of the images I've seen from it have looked very good, sharp, plenty of contrast etc ... I love the neat size of it too

Why does the 24-70 F4 get a bad rep? Most of the images I've seen from it have looked very good, sharp, plenty of contrast etc ... I love the neat size of it too
Dunno, my copy is as sharp as any other short zoom I've used.

It suffers from snob factor in that it was supplied in the same box as the body and at a competitive price and therefore is classed as a kit lens. :rolleyes:

Dunno, my copy is as sharp as any other short zoom I've used.
It suffers from snob factor in that it was supplied in the same box as the body and at a competitive price and therefore is classed as a kit lens. :rolleyes:

I thought as much, the kit lens thing similar to the Fuji 18-55 - and I would say also say a bit of over exaggeration from the rivals

Currently have an XT3, fastest lens I have is the 50-140 which is great lens but a big lump. How does the Z6 CAF compare with the Fuji?
TIA

Don`t use CAF much but daughter has a rather quick dog she likes pictures of.

Last edited:
Currently have an XT3, fastest lens I have is the 50-140 which is great lens but a big lump. How does the Z6 CAF compare with the Fuji?
TIA

Fair to say that CAF isn’t the Z’s strongest feature. But I’ve had good results when shooting Equestriian. 70-200 vr2 with adapter shooting Dressage and 24-70 f4 shooting Show Jumping
I also have a Fuji X-H1. I reckon they’re pretty much the same regarding CAF
I had a D500...it’s smokes both..

Fair to say that CAF isn’t the Z’s strongest feature. But I’ve had good results when shooting Equestriian. 70-200 vr2 with adapter shooting Dressage and 24-70 f4 shooting Show Jumping
I also have a Fuji X-H1. I reckon they’re pretty much the same regarding CAF
I had a D500...it’s smokes both..
Thanks, I had a D500 once as well :) will be happy if it's similar to the XT3 though, just the tough bit of breaking the news to the Mrs now..

TIA

I've had no issues with C-AF, comparable to the D750 which was great. However, frame rate and blackout times mean that it can be tricky to track in the viewfinder.

Reactions: nog
Back