Nikon Z* mirrorless

The 50 1.8 S is apparently one of Nikon's sharpest ever lenses, looks a treat, reviews say it's sharp wide open corner to corner.

Want to a charity dog agility meet today, with just the Z6 and the kit 24-70 F4. Thinks the combo did pretty well in the water trials.

I'm really liking the sharp results the Z6 gets even with the kit 24-70 f4!

I might need to take the hit and trade up!

Good call...haven't regretted the switch from the D750

Z 24mm f1.8 announced today. Kinda completes the basic prime line up (24-35-50-85) nicely.

Z 24mm f1.8 announced today. Kinda completes the basic prime line up (24-35-50-85) nicely.
Supposedly the dearest Z lens so far, at a smidge under $1000 US. I need a 100mm - ish and a 20mm - ish to move me from my zooms.

Supposedly the dearest Z lens so far, at a smidge under $1000 US. I need a 100mm - ish and a 20mm - ish to move me from my zooms.

indeed but 24mm is supposed to be one of the harder focal lengths to design.
I am pretty sure I was a 20mm f1.8 on the roadmap.

I wish people would make the 100mm f2 prime. Loved both the canon and minolta one from back in the day. I make do with 85mm primes in its absence.

indeed but 24mm is supposed to be one of the harder focal lengths to design.
I am pretty sure I was a 20mm f1.8 on the roadmap.

I wish people would make the 100mm f2 prime. Loved both the canon and minolta one from back in the day. I make do with 85mm primes in its absence.

I've always found that a 100-105mm lens -- rather a speciality of Nikon -- is more useful than an 85mm which has always struck me as being a little too close to 50mm for portrait or landscape. I decided to furnish myself with a £150 105mm f2.8 micro D (ie currently only MF with the Z) as a sort of three in one short telephoto. For wide-angle, it seems that the 35mm f1.8S is more practical for control of bokeh than a 24mm yet still being wide enough for the majority of low-light shots. For the latter, I'm perfectly happy with the 24-70 but I guess that's just my style of shooting.

Last edited:
... I decided to furnish myself with a £150 105mm f2.8 micro D (ie currently only MF with the Z) as a sort of three in one short telephoto.
That was a good price. I'll stick with my Oly 100mm for now. Think I got it many years ago for about £25.

Well I'm looking at getting a Z7 very soon.

Looking at getting the kit with the adapter and kit lens as I already shoot Nikon.

I will probably use Panamoz again like I did for my D750 for the kit but I was also looking at the 35 mm and 50 mm lenses but they are cheaper to buy form the UK :jawdrop::thinking:

Looking at getting the kit with the adapter and kit lens as I already shoot Nikon.

I will probably use Panamoz again like I did for my D750 for the kit but I was also looking at the 35 mm and 50 mm lenses but they are cheaper to buy form the UK :jawdrop::thinking:

Because to buy from Panamoz you are at the mercy of the exchange rate.

Let's put it this way....

About 10 years ago £1 get you $15 HK
3 years ago £1 get you about $12-13 HK
Today.....

YK3qqDx.png

If you are buying UK stock then they are probably sticking to the existing manufacturer to UK current EU trading treaty and prices, less influenced by the day to day exchange rate like you are buying from any companies on the far east.

Same with their Fuji lenses, and I'm shopping in euro - they're pricing is all over the place. If you contact them apparently they will try price match other sites though, apparently

Same with their Fuji lenses, and I'm shopping in euro - they're pricing is all over the place. If you contact them apparently they will try price match other sites though, apparently

Thank you that's worth knowing.

I understand the exchange rate has an effect on their prices but in my mind it would effect all items surely?

Just got to get over the cost of the cards now!!!

I understand the exchange rate has an effect on their prices but in my mind it would effect all items surely?

it does affect most imported items.

It would affect everything you import yourself.

Anything you buy inside the UK, the retailer is probably taking some of the margins hit themselves, until they can't or until existing stock is sold then will put the prices up.

Seen on the Sony thread there is 10% off on eBay up to max of £100. Code: PACKED10 until 6th Sept

Could pick up the 24-70 2.8s for £1569 from e-infin ebay or there’s another grey seller £1588 so £1488.

Can also pick up the 14-30 for £827 with the discount.

Savings obviously a bit less on the 1.8 primes.

Last edited:
Seen on the Sony thread there is 10% off on eBay up to max of £100. Code: PACKED10 until 6th Sept

Could pick up the 24-70 2.8s for £1569 from e-infin ebay or there’s another grey seller £1588 so £1488.

Can also pick up the 14-30 for £827 with the discount.

Savings obviously a bit less on the 1.8 primes.

Got a link to their ebay page? because it's slow as hell to load for me here and when it does it's giving me AU prices :/ I'm guessing that's the wrong page

Got a link to their ebay page? because it's slow as hell to load for me here and when it does it's giving me AU prices :/ I'm guessing that's the wrong page

Edit: presume for the 24-70

This is the e-infin one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SALE-Nik...459070&hash=item2ac98a24cf:g:ZrEAAOSw1eFdFZQE

This is the other seller not sure who they are feedback is lower 96% than e-infin 99.9%
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-NI...604781?hash=item443c8c50ad:g:Jn0AAOSwkaVcy8kE

Last edited:
Maybe I'll start saving now for a Z + 100-300 F4 and 28 1.8 - should have enough by 2021

I'm kinda disappointed that there is only one long lens...was hoping for a Z version of the 200-500.

the 100-300 f4 looks interesting to me. That instead of a 70-200 f4 in the first round, I wonder?

the 100-300 f4 looks interesting to me. That instead of a 70-200 f4 in the first round, I wonder?

It's my kind of tele, I'm not much of a wildlife shooter but do like to dabble now and then, more birds in the garden than eagles in flight :D Anytime I've owned a 70-200 though, it was the longer end I used mostly, and always wished it was that bit longer. A 100-400 of course is a lot nicer, but I imagine a 100-400 F4 would be a mammoth and with a price to match - if the 100-300 is reasonably priced and TC compatible ... nice

Back