Nikon Z* mirrorless

They had a sale on the S lenses. Got the 50mm f1.8 S for £373 in May.
I always add the lens i'm after to the basket then save it for later. then when i visit amazon it tells me if it's dropped in price.
Good way of catching the price drops.

Shut up, will you all? I've not got £7.13, let alone £713! :(

I’ve had 85mm lenses in the past. Hardly used them. Still tempted though. Got a bit more interest in the 24mm. But not convinced I can justify it at the price.

I’ve had 85mm lenses in the past. Hardly used them. Still tempted though. Got a bit more interest in the 24mm. But not convinced I can justify it at the price.
No, I keep telling myself it's too close to 70mm. And I've still got my lovely Oly Zuiko 100mm. And I don't use my 70-300 .....

TBH I'm more than happy with the 85mm f1.8g, I can't see me buying the S version.

Shut up, will you all? I've not got £7.13, let alone £713! :(
does that mean Mistletoe will be let loose to catch her own supper -- a tasty rabbit maybe? By the way, did you notice that No. 10 Downing St. took in a rescue Jack Russell? Out of the frying pan......

As I'm more or less ready to press the button on the Z7 I best look at cards I know there aren't many options yet but whihc are the best and where's the cheapest to get them in peoples experience?

I've looked and it looks like Bristol Cameras may be the best but someone know different :)

As I'm more or less ready to press the button on the Z7 I best look at cards I know there aren't many options yet but whihc are the best and where's the cheapest to get them in peoples experience?

I've looked and it looks like Bristol Cameras may be the best but someone know different :)
Prices vary all the time so just search and go with wherever's cheapest at the time. XQD cards are expensive, but no more expensive than similar speed SD cards. The trouble is there are no 'budget/slow' XQD cards like there are SD cards.

I've had the lexar ones 440MB/s since the D500/D850.
I don't think they sell them anymore, you might get some if you put a post in the wanted section.
I've never had a problem with them and luckily purchased 2 x 64Gb and 1x 128GB before prices went nuts.
I hope all Nikon cameras that use XQD get the firmware update to CFexpress.

Just make sure you get the faster ones as there's slower 150MB/s ones and with the big files of the Z7 I'd strongly recommend the ones over 400MB/s.

I've had the lexar ones 440MB/s since the D500/D850.
I don't think they sell them anymore, you might get some if you put a post in the wanted section.
I've never had a problem with them and luckily purchased 2 x 64Gb and 1x 128GB before prices went nuts.
I hope all Nikon cameras that use XQD get the firmware update to CFexpress.

Just make sure you get the faster ones as there's slower 150MB/s ones and with the big files of the Z7 I'd strongly recommend the ones over 400MB/s.
To be honest I use the 400mb/s read/150mb/s write and never had an issue with either the Z7 or D850, I got about 25-30 shots from the buffer which is more than I'll ever need.

To be honest I use the 400mb/s read/150mb/s write and never had an issue with either the Z7 or D850, I got about 25-30 shots from the buffer which is more than I'll ever need.
I shoot mma with the D850 sometimes with the gripped 9fps the buffer fills very quickly. With the 440MB/s on the D500 it'll never fill the buffer, shoots 200 shots (not that you'd ever need that). Z7 is the same as the D850 but it's not so much of a sports camera. Depends what he'll be shooting. The 150MB/s might be fine.

I shoot mma with the D850 sometimes with the gripped 9fps the buffer fills very quickly. With the 440MB/s on the D500 it'll never fill the buffer, shoots 200 shots (not that you'd ever need that). Z7 is the same as the D850 but it's not so much of a sports camera. Depends what he'll be shooting. The 150MB/s might be fine.
Yep, all down to what you need. I can't see a time when I'll ever need more than 20 shots in a row though, even with sports, YMMV (y)

Be careful with Bristol Cameras. I’ve ordered stuff from them before - best price and all that. Once they’ve accepted my order they’ve told me they don’t have stock. Others have reported the same. In fairness they’ve always refunded promptly when I’ve cancelled the order.

does that mean Mistletoe will be let loose to catch her own supper -- a tasty rabbit maybe? By the way, did you notice that No. 10 Downing St. took in a rescue Jack Russell? Out of the frying pan......
Well, she caught a fly the other day ... Now there are two scruffy, disobedient, and noisy mutts in No.10.
Going for all these tests is costing a fortune because of the distances we have to travel. They’re being thorough, though.

From a visit today to the Chelsea Physic Garden

Asteracea Cynara cardunculus by Iain Buchanan, on Flickr

Nice, crispy details, would this be a heavy crop or does the 24-70 get in nice and close?, because in that case I'd suddenly have more interest in it

[edit] Just looked it up and it's got 1:3 magnification and decent close focus, pretty good for a lens of it's type. Similar to the Olympus 12-40 2.8 I used to own, I loved that lens for this reason

Last edited:
In that case I suddenly like this lens :)

Yes it is a great lens for the camera. I recently bought the 24-70 F2.8 for my daughters wedding and whilst it did a damn good job I question the need for me to keep it. The F4 is a lot smaller and lighter and performs well so I am struggling to decide whether to keep them both or not.....

Last edited:
In that case I suddenly like this lens :)
Don't believe the bad reports. Here's screenshots of full images and then 1:1 crops on a Z7, ie REALLY demanding on a lens. The first was in overcast light, the second with parts in sunshine, retains plenty of details imo (especially if you look at the foliage and scaffolding on the first. I've included a link underneath to the original screenshots so you can view them properly, as you know this site tends to cripple IQ. (edit: IQ has definitely been crippled massively, I'd recommend downloading the screenshots).

Screenshot 2019-09-14 at 10.21.48
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Screenshot 2019-09-14 at 10.22.05
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Screenshot 2019-09-14 at 10.23.08
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Screenshot 2019-09-14 at 10.23.22
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Linky to original screenshots.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qt09ny82mm6i7bd/AADtKfqLlQOtDRruupSNJPg_a?dl=0

Last edited:
Don't believe the bad reports. Here's screenshots of full images and then 1:1 crops on a Z7, ie REALLY demanding on a lens. The first was in overcast light, the second with parts in sunshine, retains plenty of details imo (especially if you look at the foliage and scaffolding on the first. I've included a link underneath to the original screenshots so you can view them properly, as you know this site tends to cripple IQ. (edit: IQ has definitely been crippled massively, I'd recommend downloading the screenshots).

Screenshot 2019-09-14 at 10.21.48
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Screenshot 2019-09-14 at 10.22.05
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Screenshot 2019-09-14 at 10.23.08
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Screenshot 2019-09-14 at 10.23.22
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Linky to original screenshots.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qt09ny82mm6i7bd/AADtKfqLlQOtDRruupSNJPg_a?dl=0

Not sure if it is just me but I can't access your original screenshots....

@Cagey75 and others here's a link to more screenshots showing full screen, centre, edge and corner 1:1 crops. Looks pretty decent to me edge to edge. For me edge and corner sharpness and distortion is better than the 24-70mm f2.8G and 24-120mm f4 G. None are special images, handheld shot at f8 ISO 64, just showing detail and edge sharpness of 'point and shoot' type holiday pics. I'm sure on still days and with a tripod you'd get even better results.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yntpggvwpmbanl8/AACgm-C2LTPje6M6TGZk19kea?dl=0

No reason not to. It is indeed like the Oly 12-40, which I also owned. And the Fuji 16-55, which I have also had.

I liked both of those lenses only was a little disappointed the Fuji didn't focus close enough for me. The Olympus was a little cracker, couldn't fault it.

@Cagey75 and others here's a link to more screenshots showing full screen, centre, edge and corner 1:1 crops. Looks pretty decent to me edge to edge. For me edge and corner sharpness and distortion is better than the 24-70mm f2.8G and 24-120mm f4 G. None are special images, handheld shot at f8 ISO 64, just showing detail and edge sharpness of 'point and shoot' type holiday pics. I'm sure on still days and with a tripod you'd get even better results.

Will have a look when I'm at the laptop (y)

Yes it is a great lens for the camera. I recently bought the 24-70 F2.8 for my daughters wedding and whilst it did a damn good job I question the need for me to keep it. The F4 is a lot smaller and lighter and performs well so I am struggling to decide whether to keep them both or not.....

Been waiting to hear how you got on with the 2.8....
Interesting that you’re debating letting it go.
It and/or the Pana Leica 10-25 (M43) are both under consideration.

Been waiting to hear how you got on with the 2.8....
Interesting that you’re debating letting it go.
It and/or the Pana Leica 10-25 (M43) are both under consideration.

Most of my photos are landscapes & travel and I think the F4 may be sufficient... Mind you the F2.8 is a cracking lens... and the extra stop ..... time to ponder :)

Most of my photos are landscapes & travel and I think the F4 may be sufficient... Mind you the F2.8 is a cracking lens... and the extra stop ..... time to ponder :)
The f2.8 is superb, but for landscape and travel where you're likely to be shooting at f8-11 I'd be surprised if you'd see much difference over the f4 and then you have to question whether it's worth the weight and price penalty.

The f2.8 is superb, but for landscape and travel where you're likely to be shooting at f8-11 I'd be surprised if you'd see much difference over the f4 and then you have to question whether it's worth the weight and price penalty.

Yes I think you are right. I found it the same when I had a Sony A7R3 and the 24-70GM.. Big lump and serious money... They both went :) Love the Nikon Z6.

I've the f2.8 and I'm also looking the f4.
The f2.8 is incredible but like you say for travel the f4 would suit fine. Hopefully I'll find a second hand one at reasonable money.
The 24-70mm is my most used lens so I don't mind having two.

Can't see anything wrong there, wonder why DXO down-marked it so much? I think it was between them and that Jarhead Fro guy that slated it, most other reviews I've seen on it were positive

Picked up an open box 2.8 from Amazon for a good price. Been very very impressed , the f4 is also fantastic but on my copies at least the edges are better on the 2.8 from the limited shots I've done. The 2.8 is definitely better at the wide end. But it's big, fairly heavy and not cheap. If I keep it it will replace my f4, 50mm and 70-300 (with the Z7 can crop fairly heavily). The fact I'm still on the fence though speaks volumes for the f4 version.

Picked up an open box 2.8 from Amazon for a good price. Been very very impressed , the f4 is also fantastic but on my copies at least the edges are better on the 2.8 from the limited shots I've done. The 2.8 is definitely better at the wide end. But it's big, fairly heavy and not cheap. If I keep it it will replace my f4, 50mm and 70-300 (with the Z7 can crop fairly heavily). The fact I'm still on the fence though speaks volumes for the f4 version.

I would keep the 70-300 if you do any kind of wildlife. Sure you can crop in a lot on an image shot at 70mm, but you can crop in same on a 300mm image and get some great reach ;)

The new f2.8 is supposedly very good in all departments.

Can't see anything wrong there, wonder why DXO down-marked it so much? I think it was between them and that Jarhead Fro guy that slated it, most other reviews I've seen on it were positive
I've no idea tbh, resolves plenty of detail to my eyes, especially considering how 'zoomed in' 1:1 is on the Z7. Maybe edges etc aren't great at f4, I'll have to test. Not that this would be true to life really anyway, if shooting landscapes etc where you want edge to edge sharpness you're going to be at f8-11 anyway, if I'm shooting at f4 it's likely a scene where you're not interested in the edges.

I've no idea tbh, resolves plenty of detail to my eyes, especially considering how 'zoomed in' 1:1 is on the Z7. Maybe edges etc aren't great at f4, I'll have to test. Not that this would be true to life really anyway, if shooting landscapes etc where you want edge to edge sharpness you're going to be at f8-11 anyway, if I'm shooting at f4 it's likely a scene where you're not interested in the edges.

I never understand the soft in the corners part of review tests, the brick wall tests where they show us soft corners at f2/8 - as you say, when you're shooting faster apertures you're unlikely to be too concerned about the corners - I guess it would matter for nightscapes or astro but not many are buying an F4 lens for either of those

To save me scouring the internet can someone please remind me what AF you get with the different drive modes since the update please. I know with Continous Lo you get AF changes and exposures between shots, but do you also get these in Continuous Hi and Continuous Hi Extended? I know with the latter you don't get a real time view but does AF still change between shots?

Back