Nikon Z* mirrorless

Mine doesn't (yet) suffer from this, but I have a Lim's half-case on, which a) protects the vulnerable area to a large extent, b) has a built-in Arca-compatible plate, and c) gives my pinkie a resting place.
They fixed the issue after a few months so later models shouldn't suffer from it (y)

3 and 5 are sharp (though with 5 the focus point is not actually on the face). 2 and 4 the cat is probably moving which shutter speeds of around 1/40 to 1/60 won't freeze. Not sure why 1 should be fuzzy. Curious what kind of AF setting you used?

It was on factory settings in terms of AF etc.

I'm hoping to have another go with it tonight,

best of luck then!

Thanks I may need it!

Really want to actually get out and about with it but as I'm in work for 6.30 am and don't get home until after 5.30 its a bit dark out!

Will see if I can get the little terrors sorry darlings to sit still long enough!

Thanks I may need it!

Really want to actually get out and about with it but as I'm in work for 6.30 am and don't get home until after 5.30 its a bit dark out!

Will see if I can get the little terrors sorry darlings to sit still long enough!
Get the shutter speed up, a bit of noise is better than blurred images (y)

Get the shutter speed up, a bit of noise is better than blurred images (y)

Yes that what I was thinking I'm used to using aperture but never thought to up the ISO (I blame the fact I had a new toy to play with and it was like Christmas morning! )

Z50 coming most likely next week with no IBIS, guess the two new lenses will have it.

https://nikonrumors.com/2019/10/01/...ould-be-announced-as-early-as-next-week.aspx/

No IBIS, no interest here. Kind of a relief, I waste time pondering on too many other cameras as is.

Honestly it looks as boring as they possibly could have made an APSC Z body. Single card, no IBIS, described as a D7*** in ML form ... I think many were expecting an updated ML D500 with IBIS really.

Still better than a Sony APSC though maybe

Last edited:
May have been discussed already, but has anyone tried the new Samyang 14mm F/2.8 Z lens yet? Currently priced around £360 UK retail and sub-£300 on the grey market. E-Infinity have said that they hope to have stock soon. I do a little bit of night/astro photography (weather and sobriety permitting) and this looks like a decent F/2.8 lens for the price.

No IBIS is a massive mistake imo.

Its Nikon meeting customer demand with cameras no one will buy, this way they will buy what Nikon want them to, wonder why they have lost ground

Its Nikon meeting customer demand with cameras no one will buy, this way they will buy what Nikon want them to, wonder why they have lost ground
I'm not sure on the reason but imo IBIS is pretty much expected, unless you're a Canon user ;)

May have been discussed already, but has anyone tried the new Samyang 14mm F/2.8 Z lens yet? Currently priced around £360 UK retail and sub-£300 on the grey market. E-Infinity have said that they hope to have stock soon. I do a little bit of night/astro photography (weather and sobriety permitting) and this looks like a decent F/2.8 lens for the price.

I would be interested in this lens also, currently using the old 14mm lens with ftz adaptor which is a stella lens to use. Have you looked into attaching your z camera to a telescope using the native z mount? I'm struggling to find any real information on what I need to attach my z6 to a refractor.

I've just been trying the flash I use on my D750 and it doesn't appear to work.

It's a jessops 360afdn

The camera was set on mechanical shutter and I aperture priority.

Is it that the flash isnt compatible or am I doing something wrong.

I've just been trying the flash I use on my D750 and it doesn't appear to work.

It's a jessops 360afdn

The camera was set on mechanical shutter and I aperture priority.

Is it that the flash isnt compatible or am I doing something wrong.
What exactly isn't working, is it registering but not flashing, or doesn't it register?

I would be interested in this lens also, currently using the old 14mm lens with ftz adaptor which is a stella lens to use. Have you looked into attaching your z camera to a telescope using the native z mount? I'm struggling to find any real information on what I need to attach my z6 to a refractor.

Too complicated for me! I have the FTZ adapter but have nothing to use it with having sold off all my old Nikon gear. Had thought about picking up the older Samyang but some info online suggested that it was unstable on the Z series. This Z mount job looks like it will do the job nicely and at a reasonable price.

Nicely done. What was your hit rate like taking a dog running directly towards you like this?

Hey,

this was a frame from a burst of 24 photos. Out of those 24, 3 are in less than perfect focus. The first one (I started when she was already moving and was focused on something else, so it had to catch her) and numbers 22 and 23. 22nd caught her feet in focus (she was really close by that time) and 23 seems to me like it's because of only 1/2000 shutter speed (it seems the eyes are in focus but are blurry). 24 is again in focus strangely.

If you want, I can send you all 24 photos via email so you can check for yourself. The biggest issue I have is if the AF box catches something else (I used dynamic here).

Btw, this is a lot better than my D750 ever did.
In fact, if people want I can zip those files and just post a link to them.

Last edited:
Hey,

this was a frame from a burst of 24 photos. Out of those 24, 3 are in less than perfect focus. The first one (I started when she was already moving and was focused on something else, so it had to catch her) and numbers 22 and 23. 22nd caught her feet in focus (she was really close by that time) and 23 seems to me like it's because of only 1/2000 shutter speed (it seems the eyes are in focus but are blurry). 24 is again in focus strangely.

If you want, I can send you all 24 photos via email so you can check for yourself. The biggest issue I have is if the AF box catches something else (I used dynamic here).

That would be great if you did thanks.

I miscounted on the first attempt....23 photos, not 24 in the burst, not sure how I managed that...

but as promised, here's the link to them: http://www.bobr.si/files/Ajka1.zip

They are all unprocessed, full size images, except for 2 which I already processed....one of them is the one I posted here. Let me know how you feel about the results, I'm genuinely intrigued by your thoughts.

Last edited:
Hey,

That keeper rate is impressive. Which 70-200 were you using if you don’t mind me asking?

That keeper rate is impressive. Which 70-200 were you using if you don’t mind me asking?

It was the old Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VR2 (so the version before the newest one). I've had similar success using the combo on multiple occasions shooting different events.

I miscounted on the first attempt....23 photos, not 24 in the burst, not sure how I managed that...

They are all unprocessed, full size images, except for 2 which I already processed....one of them is the one I posted here. Let me know how you feel about the results, I'm genuinely intrigued by your thoughts.
Thanks, I’ll look at them tomorrow when back on the computer.
It was the old Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VR2 (so the version before the newest one). I've had similar success using the combo on multiple occasions shooting different events.
The best version ;)

Too complicated for me! I have the FTZ adapter but have nothing to use it with having sold off all my old Nikon gear. Had thought about picking up the older Samyang but some info online suggested that it was unstable on the Z series. This Z mount job looks like it will do the job nicely and at a reasonable price.

I have had no problems with the old samyang, I did have to put a small piece of masking tape over the contacts on the lens to make it in to a dumb lens because the camera wanted the aperture ring at f22 to use it. LRM_EXPORT_133677360656078_20191004_022421421.jpegLRM_EXPORT_133698793399217_20191004_022442854.jpeg

Using off camera flash (just messing about in pic here as an example - this one was in f, many others in focus but pull out when the shutter goes down), in low light I'm finding the Z/s lenses not coping well with focusing in low light. Any tips please? Certain mode of focusing better in darkness? I BBF.
Thanks hive mind!
Southbank and Westminster by amanda benson, on Flickr

Using off camera flash (just messing about in pic here as an example - this one was in f, many others in focus but pull out when the shutter goes down), in low light I'm finding the Z/s lenses not coping well with focusing in low light. Any tips please? Certain mode of focusing better in darkness? I BBF.
Thanks hive mind!
Southbank and Westminster by amanda benson, on Flickr
Have you tried the low light AF mode? Page 255 of the manual.

You can also try to switch D8 menu option to off. That leaves more processing power for the AF module.

Some lovely shots there. 9999 is a cracker. You don't happen to have any that are raw files or unprocessed jpegs. I'm pondering a z6 or 7 to replace a D850 but it has to be able to do a good job with focusing. It will be used as my "near action" sports camera with the 70-200mm vr2 among other things.

Can I ask what peoples opinions are of the larger capacity cards, when shooting with my D750 I tend to use 32gb cards mainly because I've always been worried about cards corrupting and losing images. But form what I've read the XQD cards are better so is it worth investing in a couple of larger cards say 120 GB?

Can I ask what peoples opinions are of the larger capacity cards, when shooting with my D750 I tend to use 32gb cards mainly because I've always been worried about cards corrupting and losing images. But form what I've read the XQD cards are better so is it worth investing in a couple of larger cards say 120 GB?
The term including eggs and baskets springs to mind. But in fairness I’ve only had one memory card corrupt, and that was in an Olympus 2020, back in the 90s. Why not split the difference and go for 64Gb? That seems to be the sweet spot in value for money.

The term including eggs and baskets springs to mind. But in fairness I’ve only had one memory card corrupt, and that was in an Olympus 2020, back in the 90s. Why not split the difference and go for 64Gb? That seems to be the sweet spot in value for money.

Thanks Stephen that's pretty much what I was thinking. I've got a couple of 64 gb already but would like to pick up a couple more I'm so used to having loads of spare memory cards as a backup.

So I've used my Z a couple of times now and I love it!

It's so light and easy to use (it may help my other body is a D750)

The only thing I'm having 'issues' with is when I shoot a portrait image not having a grip/shutter release but I will get used to that :)

Now I just need to find a waist bag to carry it when I go the Brum in a couple of weeks to do a Street Photography workshop where I will actually be using Panasonic gear (I know I know but there will be a range to try out and we get to keep the memory card so it seams rude not to!) I ideally want something the would get the Z7 and 50 mm s in maybe with a bottle of water. if anyone has any suggestions that won't break the bank that would be great. I ant to take the Z with me so I can use that a little as well and the other gear.

I agree with Stephen. 64gb should be enough on a Z6 unless you are shooting a lot every day.
I use 128gb on the D500 where it is often spray and pray.

Back