Nikon Z* mirrorless

Some lovely shots there. 9999 is a cracker. You don't happen to have any that are raw files or unprocessed jpegs. I'm pondering a z6 or 7 to replace a D850 but it has to be able to do a good job with focusing. It will be used as my "near action" sports camera with the 70-200mm vr2 among other things.

If you want I can send you a NEF file, just let me know which shot or would you want all of them? :)

The term including eggs and baskets springs to mind. But in fairness I’ve only had one memory card corrupt, and that was in an Olympus 2020, back in the 90s. Why not split the difference and go for 64Gb? That seems to be the sweet spot in value for money.

I think E-Infin has great value on the 120Gb one....had my finger on the buy button for a while now, but some other expenses popped up...

So I've used my Z a couple of times now and I love it!

It's so light and easy to use (it may help my other body is a D750)

The only thing I'm having 'issues' with is when I shoot a portrait image not having a grip/shutter release but I will get used to that :)

Now I just need to find a waist bag to carry it when I go the Brum in a couple of weeks to do a Street Photography workshop where I will actually be using Panasonic gear (I know I know but there will be a range to try out and we get to keep the memory card so it seams rude not to!) I ideally want something the would get the Z7 and 50 mm s in maybe with a bottle of water. if anyone has any suggestions that won't break the bank that would be great. I ant to take the Z with me so I can use that a little as well and the other gear.
I've got the Peak Design 10 litre, which holds a single lens plus one on camera quite easily. With a bit of juggling you could get a bottle of water as well.

Can I ask what peoples opinions are of the larger capacity cards, when shooting with my D750 I tend to use 32gb cards mainly because I've always been worried about cards corrupting and losing images. But form what I've read the XQD cards are better so is it worth investing in a couple of larger cards say 120 GB?
I've got a 32gb and 128gb. 32gb I already had, and the only reason I bought the 128gb rather than 64gb was that it was a really good deal. If I'm away I back up my card every day onto my iPad just in case so in theory it doesn't matter if I use several 32gb cards or on 128gb card, but touch wood I've never had a failure of any card type.

I agree with Stephen. 64gb should be enough on a Z6 unless you are shooting a lot every day.
I use 128gb on the D500 where it is often spray and pray.

I've got the Z7, the 64gb claims to hold over 600 images based on RAW lossless compressed settings.

I'm off on a timeline events shoot in a couple of weeks, form previous experience I have taken anywhere between 700 and 1000 images, so I plan to get another card or 2 just in case.

I've got the Z7, the 64gb claims to hold over 600 images based on RAW lossless compressed settings.

I'm off on a timeline events shoot in a couple of weeks, form previous experience I have taken anywhere between 700 and 1000 images, so I plan to get another card or 2 just in case.

Yes well If you spread the images over 2 or 3 cards you are minimising the risk of losing the lot if one fails.

I'm wary about using compressed raw, as not all raw coverters support it. I'm an avid LR user, which DOES support compressed, but some day I may not be ...

A 64Gb card is more than ample for a weeks shooting (uncompressed) for me. I still take photographs as if I were using film. Which I sometimes do.

I'm wary about using compressed raw, as not all raw coverters support it. I'm an avid LR user, which DOES support compressed, but some day I may not be ...

A 64Gb card is more than ample for a weeks shooting (uncompressed) for me. I still take photographs as if I were using film. Which I sometimes do.
I didn't realise this. I've always used lossless compressed, and IIRC I didn't have the option not to used compressed on the D750 :eek: I guess you could always convert to adobe dng and hope that's supported. TBH though it's rare that I'll go back to old RAW files once I've processed them so if it was ever the case I couldn't use compressed files I'd just change that in the camera then.

I miscounted on the first attempt....23 photos, not 24 in the burst, not sure how I managed that...

but as promised, here's the link to them: http://www.bobr.si/files/Ajka1.zip

They are all unprocessed, full size images, except for 2 which I already processed....one of them is the one I posted here. Let me know how you feel about the results, I'm genuinely intrigued by your thoughts.
Finally got around to checking these, thanks very much very useful. Totally proves those wrong who say the Z AF 'tracking' is poor. Dogs running toward you like this is a pretty tough test for AF and that passed with flying colours. Gives me confidence I can use my Z7 at the London Marathon next year, they'll not be running as fast as your dog, not at mile 25 anyway ;)

Anybody noticed the 1-and-a-bit stop loss of light using the FTZ adapter with the F mount lenses over the Z lenses..?
Once you notice it it's easy to work out why ( = similar to extension rings) .
It came up the other day in a studio shoot when using a handheld meter with my Z6, my shots were darker than should've been; added a stop of ISO and away we went.
Checked it back home with a 50/1.8 + FTZ vs the kit 24-70 S f4 both at 50mm &f4 and ISO 100. For the same target, the 50mm gave 1/120th while the 24-70 gave me 1/320th - just over a stop. Similar difference when comparing Z6 with my d850.
Surprised no other mention of this on here, possibly because it's not immediately obvious if using the on-board meter .

Anybody noticed the 1-and-a-bit stop loss of light using the FTZ adapter with the F mount lenses over the Z lenses..?
Once you notice it it's easy to work out why ( = similar to extension rings) .
It came up the other day in a studio shoot when using a handheld meter with my Z6, my shots were darker than should've been; added a stop of ISO and away we went.
Checked it back home with a 50/1.8 + FTZ vs the kit 24-70 S f4 both at 50mm &f4 and ISO 100. For the same target, the 50mm gave 1/120th while the 24-70 gave me 1/320th - just over a stop. Similar difference when comparing Z6 with my d850.
Surprised no other mention of this on here, possibly because it's not immediately obvious if using the on-board meter .

This really shouldn't be the case whatsoever, an extension ring is completely different. An adapter is simply filling in for the gap omitted by lack of mirror box, it should not affect exposure. It becomes your new mount and is specifically designed for the dslr lenses to work as intended.

Last edited:
This really shouldn't be the case whatsoever, an extension ring is completely different. An adapter is simply filling in for the gap omitted by lack of mirror box, it should not affect exposure. It becomes your new mount and is specifically designed for the dslr lenses to work as intended.
I'm not sure tbh, all I thought on the subject is that you tend to get less light transmission the longer the lens is, so if you make a lens longer then it might transmit less light. Or I could've just made that up, especially when you consider the length of the Z 50mm over the G 50mm :LOL:

I'm not sure tbh, all I thought on the subject is that you tend to get less light transmission the longer the lens is, so if you make a lens longer then it might transmit less light. Or I could've just made that up, especially when you consider the length of the Z 50mm over the G 50mm :LOL:

The lens isn't longer in the case of an adapter though, it's the length it was intended to be from the sensor.

Thanks for that I never thought about it.

Interestingly I changed to just NEF and it appears from the display on the camera that I wont make any difference to the number of images I'll get on the card [emoji848]

They say this is the Z50, one comment was it looks like the CX V2

Nikon-Z50-lekaed-image-2.jpg

The reports about the lack of IBIS worry me. I don't know why they would abandon that and make lenses VR.

The reports about the lack of IBIS worry me. I don't know why they would abandon that and make lenses VR.

Going by the rumours pages Nikon seem more concerned with matching SOny than actually trying to beat them. This is apparently to rival the A6400, are they forgetting there's now an A6600 with IBIS? they're doing a bit of a Canon here, they may also be protecting the Z6/7 by not making this Z50 very attractive at all

I guess it depends on where this model fits in...is it a d5xxx replacement or is it a higher model. If it's meant as a higher up model it should have IBIS in my opinion.

Who’s going for the 58mm f/0.95 Noct? Just a shade under $8k seems like a.... err..... bargain?

(Will probably stick with my f/1.8 G)

Have you seen the prices of both Z cameras from Grays of Westminster

I guess it depends on where this model fits in...is it a d5xxx replacement or is it a higher model. If it's meant as a higher up model it should have IBIS in my opinion.

They're making it out to be a ML D7*** more so, with the sensor from the D500 - pop IBIS into that and it would sell I think, omitting it will see this largely ignored unless it's pretty cheap. When you can have the likes of the Fuji XH1 with dual card slots, IBIS and better build quality for cheaper, unless you're already invested into Nikon APSC I'd see no point switching to it that's for sure. I'm shooting with an XH1 so I do keep an eye on the rest of the APSC offerings. Nothing has come close to it as an overall package for me just yet. Kinda hoped Nikon would be close [I spent more years shooting their gear than any other] , but no IBIS, no go for me. I'd rather wait for even further drops on a Z6 in future.

Last edited:
HI guys. recently got back from a week in London with the wife and friends, and took my Z6 for the 1st time (with just the 24-70 F4 and 14-30 F4 Z lenses). I have to say the combination worked really well, however whilst putting a small movie of the trip together (for us all to share), I noticed that as good as the Z6's IBIS is, when walking and shooting video you still get quite bad camera shake.

Therefore I've been considering getting a small gimbal for such situations, but there are so many on the market I wouldn't know where to begin. Has anyone used a gimbal on a Z6 and could give any advice please.

Also, when on the gimbal, do I assume that the IBIS on the camera should be turned off ?

£1400 for the Z6, or £1509 with adapter. Sounds a bargain to me :eek:

That's a great price...well worth it, I would say, but it has tanked quite a bit :) To be honest, might be a hard sell if they come out with an APSC without IBIS for 900 GBP

I agree with Stephen. 64gb should be enough on a Z6 unless you are shooting a lot every day.
I use 128gb on the D500 where it is often spray and pray.

I'm using 256GB one in My EOS R (I know, its not the canon thread!) and I'm guilty of just leaving the camera on motor drive every time I use it; Same with my RX10 IV (which is about 15 fps I think!) and it is a right headache after - but its just in case I miss something crucial.. .

The good old days of take a shot, wind the film lever, and take another are not missed !

Interestingly I changed to just NEF and it appears from the display on the camera that I wont make any difference to the number of images I'll get on the card [emoji848]
Most manufacturers hugely underestimate the number of images a camera can get on a card, and in your case may not have even been taking into account RAW+Jpeg. :thinking: When judging cards to buy I look at my average file sizes, and divide by the capacity. For my D500 compressed RAWs come out about 20Mb on average, but the camera says I should get about mid 800s on an empty card rather than about 1600. Although the number the camera says I can get changes as I take more, I keep the 1600 number in the back of my mind when seeing how many pics I've taken against what the camera says there is space for. ;)

I'm using 256GB one in My EOS R (I know, its not the canon thread!) and I'm guilty of just leaving the camera on motor drive every time I use it; Same with my RX10 IV (which is about 15 fps I think!) and it is a right headache after - but its just in case I miss something crucial.. .

The good old days of take a shot, wind the film lever, and take another are not missed !
Ahh good old FOMO ;)

When I first got the D500 the exposures were inconsistent compared to the D300S I had before, so I got into the habit of taking three shots, what the camera measured as correct, and one stop under and one stop over. Sometimes measured and -1, -2, or measured and +1, +2, dependent on the scene. Bracketing in combination with the burst modes means it takes a fraction longer. The camera seems to get it right now most of the time after the initial inconsistencies, but in difficult scenes with high dynamic ranges I'll still use it, and thankfully can all be done is a few button pushes and wheel changes on the body very quickly.

Just think of the electricity you’re wasting!

Hey all,

Just in case anyone is after the 50mm 1.8s. Grays of Westminster are selling it at £319 at the minute. Best of all if you use the voucher code newshop19 you get £20 off and free delivery today. So you get a 50mm 1.8s for £299. Bargain of the year if you ask me. Id' get one but I bought mine a while back.

Hey all,

Just in case anyone is after the 50mm 1.8s. Grays of Westminster are selling it at £319 at the minute. Best of all if you use the voucher code newshop19 you get £20 off and free delivery today. So you get a 50mm 1.8s for £299. Bargain of the year if you ask me. Id' get one but I bought mine a while back.
Thanks - just done that. The code gave free shipping too! (but I'm going to collect as I've never had a reason to go in there before without just window shopping) :)

Thanks - just done that. The code gave free shipping too! (but I'm going to collect as I've never had a reason to go in there before without just window shopping) :)

Yeah I’ve ordered the 85s from them. I’ve got the 50 and 35 and they are superb. Actually emailed to ask about trading in my 105/1.4 and 24-70/4s in for a 24-70/2.8s as well. It not exactly local to me but I do keep thinking it would be great to visit the shop.

Back