Nikon Z* mirrorless

Hey all,

Just in case anyone is after the 50mm 1.8s. Grays of Westminster are selling it at £319 at the minute. Best of all if you use the voucher code newshop19 you get £20 off and free delivery today. So you get a 50mm 1.8s for £299. Bargain of the year if you ask me. Id' get one but I bought mine a while back.

Outstanding @PeteStewardson. I can't thank you enough for this. I had been hovering over this for a while and having read your post, I've now bagged one for £295. I'll buy you a beer if I ever see you. Thanks very much.

Last edited:
HI guys. recently got back from a week in London with the wife and friends, and took my Z6 for the 1st time (with just the 24-70 F4 and 14-30 F4 Z lenses). I have to say the combination worked really well, however whilst putting a small movie of the trip together (for us all to share), I noticed that as good as the Z6's IBIS is, when walking and shooting video you still get quite bad camera shake.

Therefore I've been considering getting a small gimbal for such situations, but there are so many on the market I wouldn't know where to begin. Has anyone used a gimbal on a Z6 and could give any advice please.

Also, when on the gimbal, do I assume that the IBIS on the camera should be turned off ?

I use a z6 on a Ronin SC. Good combo, not too big or cumbersome. I leave IBIS on, hadn’t even considered if it should be off. Fabulous results.

Hey all,

Just in case anyone is after the 50mm 1.8s. Grays of Westminster are selling it at £319 at the minute. Best of all if you use the voucher code newshop19 you get £20 off and free delivery today. So you get a 50mm 1.8s for £299. Bargain of the year if you ask me. Id' get one but I bought mine a while back.

Bargain! thank you. Not even sure I need one but at that price it's hard to refuse.

Seems there’s Z50, Noct and battery grip videos on YouTube, Kai W, Fro and Ricci Talks from what I’ve seen. Not reviews though just previews.

New lens roadmap too

NIKKOR Z 28mm Prime Lens
NIKKOR Z 28mm Prime Lens
NIKKOR Z 40mm Prime Lens
NIKKOR Z 60mm Micro Prime Lens
NIKKOR Z 105mm Micro S Prime Lens
NIKKOR Z 24-105mm S Zoom Lens
NIKKOR Z 100-400mm S Zoom Lens
NIKKOR Z DX 18-140mm Zoom Lens
NIKKOR Z 24-200mm Zoom Lens
NIKKOR Z 200-600mm Zoom Lens

316DCDB1-5175-4CE9-BF0E-B2609AD26610.jpeg

Last edited:
Z50 listed for pre order with price from Wex

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/offers/new-from-nikon/

Nothing exciting about it, not for me at least. Looks like a ML D7500

The dual lens kit will attract some though: https://www.wexphotovideo.com/nikon-z-50-digital-camera-with-16-50mm-and-50-250mm-lenses-1719063/

... so long as the lenses are decent of course.

Real pity there's no IBIS, not everyone looking at a camera like this will only stick to OIS kit lenses. I would seriously have been interested if it had IBIS, with the adapter and some old primes it might have been a very tempting package. Another slip up from yet another manufacturer. NONE of them are getting it right, it's like they all have a deal on not to produce the ultimate APSC offering.

Last edited:
When I first got the D500 the exposures were inconsistent compared to the D300S I had before, so I got into the habit of taking three shots, what the camera measured as correct, and one stop under and one stop over. Sometimes measured and -1, -2, or measured and +1, +2, dependent on the scene. Bracketing in combination with the burst modes means it takes a fraction longer. The camera seems to get it right now most of the time after the initial inconsistencies, but in difficult scenes with high dynamic ranges I'll still use it, and thankfully can all be done is a few button pushes and wheel changes on the body very quickly.

Thats a good thought! I alwasuy shoot RAW anyway, but that is something I will look at!

Nothing exciting about it, not for me at least. Looks like a ML D7500

The dual lens kit will attract some though: https://www.wexphotovideo.com/nikon-z-50-digital-camera-with-16-50mm-and-50-250mm-lenses-1719063/

... so long as the lenses are decent of course.

Real pity there's no IBIS, not everyone looking at a camera like this will only stick to OIS kit lenses. I would seriously have been interested if it had IBIS, with the adapter and some old primes it might have been a very tempting package. Another slip up from yet another manufacturer. NONE of them are getting it right, it's like they all have a deal on not to produce the ultimate APSC offering.

The more i look the more i like it, ibis and most of the other bells and whistles my EM1MK11 has i don't use, my move to m4/3 was to save weight the Nikon body as a starting point is lighter than the Olympus.

IBIS would have been nice to go with the Nikon 300mm f4 but thats the only lens i would want it for.

The more i look the more i like it, ibis and most of the other bells and whistles my EM1MK11 has i don't use, my move to m4/3 was to save weight the Nikon body as a starting point is lighter than the Olympus.

IBIS would have been nice to go with the Nikon 300mm f4 but thats the only lens i would want it for.

I'm sure it's a solid enough camera, but it's really a mirrorless D7500, or so it seems. Nothing earth shaking. I just wish they had pushed further, why are non of the manufacturers really pushing?? I will keep an eye on the reviews, they do at least kick it off with a nice tele zoom, if that somehow turned out to be a cracker then I might pay attention. As there's already some tasty Z primes to go with.

I have a Fuji X-T2 as a lightweight walk round. Might replace that when the price drops.

I'm sure it's a solid enough camera, but it's really a mirrorless D7500, or so it seems. Nothing earth shaking. I just wish they had pushed further, why are non of the manufacturers really pushing?? I will keep an eye on the reviews, they do at least kick it off with a nice tele zoom, if that somehow turned out to be a cracker then I might pay attention. As there's already some tasty Z primes to go with.

Maybe because the focus is mostly on FF?

Look at Sony, they push like mad with FF but although they do bring out APS-C cameras they've arguably have had issue for years (the lack of two control dials near the top of the camera put me off) and they've arguably hardly bothered with the lenses. I suppose manufacturers only have so many resources and money to throw at each market segment and if they're busy with FF APS-C will possibly be left on the back burner.

Look at Sony, they push like mad with FF but although they do bring out APS-C cameras they've arguably have had issue for years (the lack of two control dials near the top of the camera put me off) and they've arguably hardly bothered with the lenses. I suppose manufacturers only have so many resources and money to throw at each market segment and if they're busy with FF APS-C will possibly be left on the back burner.

In that case why bother and why all the sudden promos? APSC is actually where Canikon probably make most of their money I'd bet [I could well be wrong, doesn't really matter] - and it'll be with kit lenses too.

It's just disappointing as they've had the benefit of seeing what the others produced in the APSC market. Sony with their mediocre/uninteresting [to many of us] A6*** line, Canon with their [looking like failed] M line and then continuing with APSC dslr, Fuji killing it in that division easily and Nikon produce .... this?

If it turned out to have the best ISO performance across the board for APSC and had some other killer feature I would be interested. I know I don't need FF, I find APSC plenty enough so long as I know I'm getting the best of it. Right now, I can't see anything beating the X-H1 that I own for all-round APSC goodness, I wouldn't even consider swapping it for an X-T3 - so Nikon would have to work a bit harder to convince the likes of me, minority or not.

Last edited:
Past few days I have been itching to have a go with the Z and thinking of the Z6 as I dont really need the MP of the Z7 but the AF point of the Z7 might be nice as I be coming from a A7iii

No IBIS in the Z50 but, from my understanding, the X-H1 with IBIS has not been a great success for Fuji compared with XT sales. I know lots of people love the X-H1 and I`m not knocking it

and do Nikon want you using "old" lenses?

Last edited:

Not really true that though is it they aren't missing much?

Sony E 10-18mm f4 OSS Lens
Sony E 16-70mm f4 ZA OSS Lens
Sony E 16-55mm f2.8 G Lens
Sony E 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 OSS Lens
Sony E 16-50mm f3.5-5.6 OSS Lens
Sony E 55-210mm f4.5-6.3 OSS Lens
Sony E 70-350mm f4.5-6.3 G OSS Lens
Sony E 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 OSS Power Zoom Lens

Sony E 16mm f2.8 Pancake Lens
Sony E 24mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Lens
Sony E 35mm f1.8 OSS Lens
Sony E 50mm f1.8 OSS Lens
Sony E 30mm f3.5 Macro Lens

Those are all APSC lenses, and you can use any other FE lens, made by Sony or any of the other third party manufacturers as well plus the other dedicated e-mount apsc lenses made by Sigma.

Other than an dedicated 85mm prime which is probably not needed for apsc they are pretty well covered when you compare to other brands. Fuji might have a little more but they don't have lenses to make for full frame as well which can also work on apsc. Sony seem to have just as good a line up as Nikon & Canon.

Last edited:
No IBIS in the Z50 but, from my understanding, the X-H1 with IBIS has not been a great success for Fuji compared with XT sales. I know lots of people love the X-H1 and I`m not knocking it

and do Nikon want you using "old" lenses?

The H1 wasn't a huge success simply because when released it was very expensive [£2K], right up there with top of the line FF bodies, and then Fuji announced the XT3 shortly after [many thought the T3 would also have IBIS]. But look to today, now that the H1 is much more reasonably priced, people are still jumping on it. Look in the Fuji thread, some XT3 owners have switched to the H1 and those lucky enough to own both have stated they much prefer the H1 because of it's ergonomics, nicer shutter release and of course IBIS.

I don't just praise the H1 because I own one, I own one because it's so good. I switched to M43 from Fuji a couple years back because I wanted IBIS, the H1 hadn't come out yet and when it did it was a bit rich for me. After a spell using M43 bodies I knew IBIS was something I desired in a camera, and when the H1 dropped significantly in price it was the right time for me to switch back. I could have bought a used XT3 [or indeed a number of older FF bodies] at the time instead [paid just shy of £900 for a 'mint' but use H1], didn't fancy it as much, I would have just stayed M43 and still been happy enough tbh.

Nikon would prefer people buy their new lenses obviously as they make nothing from the used market, but there's only 2 APSC Z lenses coming with the Z50 and neither are very interesting. Who really wants a 'pancake' style short zoom with a max aperture of f/6.3 at the 'long' end? Not too many I'd suspect. Most people buying the Z50 will be those switching from the D5*** and D7*** series dslrs, they probably don't care about IBIS and just want to try ML without jumping to FF.

I just feel - 'coulda shoulda' ... but that's the feel I get from pretty much all camera announcements these days. Newer is most certainly not always better

Putting aside no IBIS, the Z50 has no joystick, only one card slot, it strangely doesn't allow touch focus with your eye to the evf, the specs overall read more like a ML D5600 than a 7500, the body looks a little cramped for my taste and the evf is mediocre by today's standards

Last edited:
Have you seen the prices of both Z cameras from Grays of Westminster

Thanks for that
Z50 ordered last night, had the auto reply from Grays just hope its not a pricing mistake. Some other good prices there AF-P 70-300 for £470 plus £8 delivery

Not really true that though is it they aren't missing much?

Those are all APSC lenses, and you can use any other FE lens, made by Sony or any of the other third party manufacturers as well plus the other dedicated e-mount apsc lenses made by Sigma.

Other than an dedicated 85mm prime which is probably not needed for apsc they are pretty well covered when you compare to other brands. Fuji might have a little more but they don't have lenses to make for full frame as well which can also work on apsc. Sony seem to have just as good a line up as Nikon & Canon.

Deep sigh...

There haven't been many new Sony APS-C lenses in recent times and I was specifically talking about Sony and the wider issue of OEM camera manufacturers arguably not really pushing APS-C forward and specifically with Sony in lenses rather than bodies.

That was my point and has been mentioned many times by people more interested in Sony APS-C system rather than an APS-C body and a lens system filled out with FF lenses as that's not the way everyone wants to go.

As you mentioned Canon, their APS-C mirrorless system is arguably one of the most neglected lens wise and both Canon and Nikon have hardly set the world on fire with raft after raft of interesting APS-C lenses for either mirrorless or DSLR's as has been noted by the usual commentators.

As this is a Nikon thread I'll leave it there.

Last edited:
Deep sigh...

There haven't been many new Sony APS-C lenses in recent times and I was specifically talking about Sony and the wider issue of OEM camera manufacturers arguably not really pushing APS-C forward and specifically with Sony in lenses rather than bodies.

That was my point and has been mentioned many times by people more interested in Sony APS-C system rather than an APS-C body and a lens system filled out with FF lenses as that's not the way everyone wants to go.

As you mentioned Canon, their APS-C mirrorless system is arguably one of the most neglected lens wise and both Canon and Nikon have hardly set the world on fire with raft after raft of interesting APS-C lenses for either mirrorless or DSLR's as has been noted by the usual commentators.

As this is a Nikon thread I'll leave it there.

Who are you talking to? and why are you sighing? :D

Thanks for that
Z50 ordered last night, had the auto reply from Grays just hope its not a pricing mistake. Some other good prices there AF-P 70-300 for £470 plus £8 delivery

I hope it lives up for you, honestly. As I said earlier, I'm in on this because I've been anticipating it, I was genuinely interested in an APSC Z series. It just doesn't suit 'me' but I'm sure many will love it. It does look to be priced appropriately.

Well i will admit to doing it, just put a pre-order in for the Z50 twin lens kit, release date expected to be November the 7th.

Now waiting for the Tony and Chelsea ilk youtube experts to tell me i shouldn't,;)

Thanks for that

It's not on there now as far as I can see.

Edit: Unless you mean the 50mm, that's still there :)

Last edited:
I hope it lives up for you, honestly. As I said earlier, I'm in on this because I've been anticipating it, I was genuinely interested in an APSC Z series. It just doesn't suit 'me' but I'm sure many will love it. It does look to be priced appropriately.

I think he’s talking z 50mm f1.8

I believe Grays have started the saving too early I just been informed there a Nikon Winter save that starts on 15h Oct...

Who are you talking to? and why are you sighing? :D

I was replying to the quote and sighing because what was posted wasn't my point.

Maybe I'm tetchy this morning but I do wish people wouldn't take any and every opportunity to nit pick a post that they think they're read and instead stick to nit picking the one that's there.

PS.
:D

I was replying to the quote and sighing because what was posted wasn't my point.

Maybe I'm tetchy this morning but I do wish people wouldn't take any and every opportunity to nit pick a post that they think they're read and instead stick to nit picking the one that's there.

PS.
:D

I don't get the nit picking part but how and ever ... we're only discussing gear - and in relation to this Nikon release. I thought well by now you know I do go off on tangents, I'm not always picking another's post apart rather adding my own tit bits

Sorry its this guy, hands-on.

Sorry its this guy, hands-on.

Dpreview show samples don't know why he can't. Watched all the z50 related vids earlier, that's where I got all my info from. As in no joystick, the lack of ts when using the evf etc, I think the dpr one has more info

Dpreview show samples don't know why he can't. Watched all the z50 related vids earlier, that's where I got all my info from. As in no joystick, the lack of ts when using the evf etc, I think the dpr one has more info

Thanks for the nod,did you mean this one

I think he’s talking z 50mm f1.8

Yes he is talking about the 50mm, sorry about the confusion:)
Grays just phoned, delivery tomorrow and have an offer of 3 year gtee and tech support etc for £59. Pay the £59 and they include a £20 voucher to be used at Grays on any future purchase. Not bad I thought.

Just wonder how balanced the Z50 will be with the current Z lenses, both fixed and zoom. I presume also the FTZ will function as now.

Back