Nikon Z* mirrorless

Just wonder how balanced the Z50 will be with the current Z lenses, both fixed and zoom. I presume also the FTZ will function as now.

I would think the primes, and the f4 zooms will balance fine. I think the f2.8 zoom might feel more than a little front heavy

I wonder how the new NIKKOR Z DX 50–250mm performs.
Be interesting to see how it would do on a Z6 or Z7 as well.

It'll go into crop mode I think? [not sure if the Z bodies auto do this?] - or you'll get heavy vignetting I would imagine and have to crop in post.

Just wonder how balanced the Z50 will be with the current Z lenses, both fixed and zoom. I presume also the FTZ will function as now.

The Z series primes will be great on it I think and the adapter should work the same as on the Z6/7

It'll go into crop mode I think? [not sure if the Z bodies auto do this?] - or you'll get heavy vignetting I would imagine and have to crop in post

It switches over to crop mode automatically - and works nicely due to being mirrorless rather than optical.

I use a 70-300 DX on my Z6 when I don’t want to lug the 150-600 around. If it comes down to a reasonable price the 50-250 might replace it...

It switches over to crop mode automatically - and works nicely due to being mirrorless rather than optical.

I use a 70-300 DX on my Z6 when I don’t want to lug the 150-600 around. If it comes down to a reasonable price the 50-250 might replace it...

Looks like it should be cheap enough, going on the proposed bundle pricing.

[edit] £379 on Wex, which is a fair bit more than you pay if buying the bundle with the adapter and the 16-50, works out more like £200 in that case.

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/offers/new-from-nikon/

Actually looking at the prices on there it only makes sense for people to buy the duo lens package over body +adapter only. Only £210 extra for the 2 kit lenses? doesn't seem right

Last edited:
It'll go into crop mode I think? [not sure if the Z bodies auto do this?] - or you'll get heavy vignetting I would imagine and have to crop in post.

The Z series primes will be great on it I think and the adapter should work the same as on the Z6/7
Yes, that is assumed and catered for in my thinking. For instance, the 14-30 would roughly equate to 21-45, which sounds quite respectable in my view.
Might be tempted by a Z50 body as a lighter second, once the price drops.

How easy (or even popular) for a friendly mod to change the title of this forum to encompass the Z50 and/or future Z models?

Yes he is talking about the 50mm, sorry about the confusion:)
Grays just phoned, delivery tomorrow and have an offer of 3 year gtee and tech support etc for £59. Pay the £59 and they include a £20 voucher to be used at Grays on any future purchase. Not bad I thought.

they phoned me. I said I would think about it :)

Not really true that though is it they aren't missing much?

Sony E 10-18mm f4 OSS Lens
Sony E 16-70mm f4 ZA OSS Lens
Sony E 16-55mm f2.8 G Lens
Sony E 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 OSS Lens
Sony E 16-50mm f3.5-5.6 OSS Lens
Sony E 55-210mm f4.5-6.3 OSS Lens
Sony E 70-350mm f4.5-6.3 G OSS Lens
Sony E 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 OSS Power Zoom Lens

Sony E 16mm f2.8 Pancake Lens
Sony E 24mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Lens
Sony E 35mm f1.8 OSS Lens
Sony E 50mm f1.8 OSS Lens
Sony E 30mm f3.5 Macro Lens

Those are all APSC lenses, and you can use any other FE lens, made by Sony or any of the other third party manufacturers as well plus the other dedicated e-mount apsc lenses made by Sigma.

Other than an dedicated 85mm prime which is probably not needed for apsc they are pretty well covered when you compare to other brands. Fuji might have a little more but they don't have lenses to make for full frame as well which can also work on apsc. Sony seem to have just as good a line up as Nikon & Canon.

Except most of them are poop and where are the fast high quality apsc primes? Fuji whoops Sony apsc lenses for quality, but that xtrans :puke:

Last edited:
Any ex Sony Users here if so what did you come from to what pls ?

Can’t believe a Z DX big soon out before a Z

Hi Z users. I love the concept of face/eye detect on a Nikon. I’ve a question regarding face detection when photographing people in action. I regularly take photos of kids in track and field and volleyball and basketball teams/games. Can face detect be turned off and the focus spot moved around á la D750?

Eye/face detect only works in Full Auto AF mode, meaning the cameras makes the decisions for you. In any other mode (Single, Dynamin, Wide-S, Wide-L) you can move your area around the sensor as you please. So to answer your question plainly, you can definitely move your AF points around...

Eye/face detect only works in Full Auto AF mode, meaning the cameras makes the decisions for you. In any other mode (Single, Dynamin, Wide-S, Wide-L) you can move your area around the sensor as you please. So to answer your question plainly, you can definitely move your AF points around...

What do you saying they don’t work in Aperture priority mode or Shutter Speed mode

Except most of them are poop and where are the fast high quality apsc primes? Fuji whoops Sony apsc lenses for quality, but that xtrans :puke:

Xtrans has been absolutely fine for me, it was one of the things that had me hesitant to return to the system but I've not noticed any issues like in the past. I think the software has improved a lot for dealing with the RAF files. I have LR set up to not do any sharpening until I want to add it, and I selectively do so either using adjustment brush or using masking. By default Adobe set sharpening to 40 which IMO, without masking is way too high for Fuji files, they're more than sharp enough well below this. Pretty much all RAW files will start to show the same artifacts when pushed too high push the sharpening on your Sony files well up and you'll start seeing it, Fuji files just exhibit this much sooner.

On the Z50, the more I look at it the more I see it as their answer to Canon's M50, the difference being the M50 cannot use the RF mount lenses. But physically, and spec-wise they seem about on par. Not a terrible thing, the M50 is a capable little camera, but it's not what many where hoping for in an APSC ML Nikon.

Last edited:
Hi Z users. I love the concept of face/eye detect on a Nikon. I’ve a question regarding face detection when photographing people in action. I regularly take photos of kids in track and field and volleyball and basketball teams/games. Can face detect be turned off and the focus spot moved around á la D750?

This is another tuber that gets on my mammary glands,he does show eye af working but it may be him that says it only works up to a certain distance.

Obviously it needs time, but going on Nikon's DX history I'm not going to expect much.
I can't see why you'd pick anything other than Fuji for aps-c now. They're the only ones who seem to take the format seriously.

Nikon tastes better ;)

For what i want DX for the two launch lenses will cover, if not i will get F mount and share them with my V2, cant do that with Fuji.

Xtrans has been absolutely fine for me, it was one of the things that had me hesitant to return to the system but I've not

On the Z50, the more I look at it the more I see it as their answer to Canon's M50, the difference being the M50 cannot use the RF mount lenses. But physically, and spec-wise they seem about on par. Not a terrible thing, the M50 is a capable little camera, but it's not what many where hoping for in an APSC ML Nikon.

Yeah - I think its a better move to have less less mounts though, I think it sucks with the Canon M system overall

Have to say, I do wish they’d make a full-frame version of that pancake z50 kit lens. Preferably f/2.8. Same size and cost though, obviously.

I have had no problems with the old samyang, I did have to put a small piece of masking tape over the contacts on the lens to make it in to a dumb lens because the camera wanted the aperture ring at f22 to use it. View attachment 256853View attachment 256854

it's supposed to be set to f22 so the lens aperture is controlled by the camera with most of the Nikons. The advantage of that is additionally you get EXIF info on aperture for instance. The only point in the tape is if you're one of the minority where the lens behaves erratically. Mine was fine though I decided in the end to go for the IRIX 15mm which is a better lens though much depends on the sample and a really good Samyang will certainly be a bargain.

I got 2 text messages from dhl with a delivery window.

Cheers
No text or email still but they have left a missed delivery card, must have been in the garden for the nano second courier waited.
Something to look forward to Monday then:)

edit....Gave Grays my home number so that explains no text message

Last edited:
Cheers
No text or email still but they have left a missed delivery card, must have been in the garden for the nano second courier waited.
Something to look forward to Monday then:)

Its so infuriating isn't it when they don't make the delivery. It's hard to believe its still so primitive considering we are in 2019. Good luck for monday.

Reactions: nog
Just seen the 58mm f0.95 price....

£8299

How many are they gonna sell ?

It’s madness. Leica owners aren’t interested in this camera so whos gonna stump up 8k for a lens ?

Interesting article here on the Noct which I completely agree with. Basically bemoans the point of this new lens when the existing lens lineup and roadmap is so unexciting.

https://petapixel.com/2019/10/11/th...t-lens-is-a-symptom-of-a-much-larger-problem/

I can see why, very few want a bit F-off behemoth like this, but they are crying out for more variety in the affordable realm. Why anyone would buy this ugly beast is beyond me, it's like £6k+ for an extra stop [or so] DOF and light gathering?? I wonder if those who buy it will actually use it much at f/0.95

Some arty type will use it and people will coo over the pictures and no doubt they will look lovely in their own way. People who just want one will buy it too and good luck to them.

As I said in another thread although I've forgotten the details :D but once Leica made a very fast lens for a movie producer who wanted it for one scene. AFAIK Leica made it and gave him it for the art but did say that it was very expensive to make :D At least now there's a brand new off the shelf solution :D

Some arty type will use it and people will coo over the pictures and no doubt they will look lovely in their own way. People who just want one will buy it too and good luck to them.

As I said in another thread although I've forgotten the details :D but once Leica made a very fast lens for a movie producer who wanted it for one scene. AFAIK Leica made it and gave him it for the art but did say that it was very expensive to make :D At least now there's a brand new off the shelf solution :D

I do get it, if I was filthy rich a lens like this would interest me, as I know not very many will have the privilege. But knowing me, I'd mostly shoot it stopped down to F2 :D I'm not really a massive shallow DOF guy, don't get the fascination. I can enjoy it, when needed , but I don't really want or need every other image 90% blurred out.

It's also a mammoth thing to have to carry about just for that purpose. I honestly cannot see even the most hardcore pros buying in. But, I don't think that's Nikon's idea, it's one of those they will happily take a loss on to show off.

Back