Nikon Z* mirrorless

No, there's no electrical connection and it was said from day one that it would be grip only, but I've been holding onto a glimmer of hope that after the fallout from that announcement they'd come up with a solution, whether it be via bluetooth, remote or something else. Obviously they couldn't/still didn't deem it necessary.

What really irks me is that they've designed the Z's from scratch to be their next flagships and they have two 'serious' flaws. One memory card and no grip functionality. Now if I'm perfectly honest neither of these things bother me directly (can cope with a single slot and only use grip once or twice/year) but it's just the principle of it all. Someone was probably paid a hell of a lot of money to sign off on the fact that it has no electrical connection a grip :mad:
It doesn't bother me as I detest grips and am perfectly happy with one card slot, but it strikes me that the Z6 and Z7 are so similar apart from the sensor. If they'd made the Z7 with full grip capabilities and a second slot, as this version has been labelled as being the pro version ...

Thanks for the comments :) it wasn't planned and I just happened to notice the mists in the distance and the hills barely seen in them....it helped I had my 100-400 with me as well :)

Need some thoughts on this image...cross posted from the Landscape forum as well.
Is it worthwhile or should I just chuck it?

Minimalistic landscape by luftwalk, on Flickr
It is a lovely moody minimalist image. It could possibly have a few different crops.

Btw, if you decide to print, either crop the spot out at the top, or clone it out. ;);)

To cut this short after reading about. The Z6 is a better camera than z6 for af speed abs caf speed. Only thing better on z7 bigger MP?

To cut this short after reading about. The Z6 is a better camera than z6 for af speed abs caf speed. Only thing better on z7 bigger MP?
A camera is only “better“ than another camera if its extra features are what you need.

As an allrounder the Z6 is a better camera imo, unless you need/want the high MP then the Z6 is the one to get. Yes the Z7 has more AF points, but the Z6 has plenty and I've seen a number of reports that say the Z6 is more responsive in terms of AF. The only other advantages of the Z7 are base ISO of 64 and rated to have a few more shots per battery. IMO the Z7 is not worth the extra money. Here's a good comparison

https://photographylife.com/nikon-z6-vs-z7

As an allrounder the Z6 is a better camera imo, unless you need/want the high MP then the Z6 is the one to get. Yes the Z7 has more AF points, but the Z6 has plenty and I've seen a number of reports that say the Z6 is more responsive in terms of AF. The only other advantages of the Z7 are base ISO of 64 and rated to have a few more shots per battery. IMO the Z7 is not worth the extra money. Here's a good comparison

https://photographylife.com/nikon-z6-vs-z7
As a rule, when lighting conditions are correct I shoot at ISO-L, which is approx. 64ASA, and cannot see any difference in IQ compared with 100 or even 200 ASA. That's on a Z6, to avoid confusion. :)

As a rule, when lighting conditions are correct I shoot at ISO-L, which is approx. 64ASA, and cannot see any difference in IQ compared with 100 or even 200 ASA. That's on a Z6, to avoid confusion. :)
Yep extended ISOs are good, was just pointing out the differences too Rookies. Of course ISO-L for me is 32ASA :p

I presume that rating is perfectly fine? Never been so low. ;)
Don't see why not, is it any different to the Z6 in ISO Lo? It's just an expanded ISO courtesy of clever electronics at the end fo the day.

Don't see why not, is it any different to the Z6 in ISO Lo? It's just an expanded ISO courtesy of clever electronics at the end fo the day.
I’m sure there’s some electrical wizardry involved which is well beyond my ken. :p

Just had a look at the latest lens roadmap, the 24-105mm and 100-400mm lenses look interesting. God knows what they prices will be though.

Just had a look at the latest lens roadmap, the 24-105mm and 100-400mm lenses look interesting. God knows what they prices will be though.

Shame not giving ideas on prices lol.

hmmm, that's more than my flat! Might it settle just a tad? :confused: On the other hand, the free delivery is mighty tempting.....

What card reader people got.

Oh yes what a nice welcome lol
Sorry, I know what you're like as a prankster ;) Welcome, hope you enjoy it mate. As for card readers, I've got the Sony one.

Just a few snaps before letting the battery charge fully. Pretty pls that 24-70 is a sharp lens. Not don’t a proper test yet as battery on charge

But the feel of the camera the location of the buttons has put a smile on my face

Just a few snaps before letting the battery charge fully. Pretty pls that 24-70 is a sharp lens. Not don’t a proper test yet as battery on charge

But the feel of the camera the location of the buttons has put a smile on my face
I don't know anyone on here that's not got a sharp copy tbh so fingers crossed. Have you bought new?

As far as I know the Sony one is the only mainstream reader. Works fine.
More than fine, blooming quick compared to your usual SD reader (y)

Will have to get a Sony one then was looking f ah these £20 ones on amazon

What focus area mode people use as it a bit different to Sony

What focus area mode people use as it a bit different to Sony
You need to get back to Nikon way of thinking ;) Mine's the same as every camera, single point ;)

My Z6 body is on its way back from Nikon having sent it in due to peeling skin on the body between the grip and the mount. 11 days away in total. They have replaced the outer rubber skin, carried out a full service, provided a 6 months warranty on the works, and DPD are delivering it back free of charge. The repair was done under an "advisory" notice so free even though I bought it through e-infinity. I also had a guarantee from e-infinity that if there were any costs they would reimburse me. Quite impressed.

Back