Nikon Z* mirrorless

I've got a Techart Sony to Nikon Z mount adaptor for sale if anyone wants to use Sony lens on a Z6 or Z7 :)

Think it all my fault all this bashing

Haha, with the recent bashing between this and the Sony thread recently, I don’t know what’s serious and not
I have no allegiance to any brand, I switch a lot, just happens nothing has come along since a7iii launch to make me want to switch, Nikon’s moving at a good pace and tbh so is canon except for the usual crippling moves, I’m glad when there’s more to try :)

I've got a Techart Sony to Nikon Z mount adaptor for sale if anyone wants to use Sony lens on a Z6 or Z7 :)
What’s it like using this adapter and the Sony lenses, does it work well or is it a bit clunky?

It is very hit and miss though may well be improved if firmware has been updated. I used it with a Sony 85 F1.8 and it would focus no problem then all of a sudden have a hissy and refuse to focus on anything. I couldn't be bothered with it plus 85 is not a lens I like using so off it went :)

As I am selling it I should say it is the best thing since sliced bread but .......

It is very hit and miss though may well be improved if firmware has been updated. I used it with a Sony 85 F1.8 and it would focus no problem then all of a sudden have a hissy and refuse to focus on anything. I couldn't be bothered with it plus 85 is not a lens I like using so off it went :)

As I am selling it I should say it is the best thing since sliced bread but .......

It may well be for some people. If you are one of the folks that's into loxia and voigtlander manual lenses this is great!
Just buy one set of lenses and use it on both mounts.

So having done a bit of online research, it seems that Nikon's Z S lenses are pretty decent.
Amazingly, the Nikkor Z 24-70mm f2.8 has been regarded even better than the Sony's G Master version. :eek:
All Nikon need to do now is release the Z9 :)

So having done a bit of online research, it seems that Nikon's Z S lenses are pretty decent.
Amazingly, the Nikkor Z 24-70mm f2.8 has been regarded even better than the Sony's G Master version. :eek:
All Nikon need to do now is release the Z9 :)
I'm sure the gen 2 bodies and/or the Z9 will be right up there. The system is looking promising that's for sure, they just need to sort out the two big issues.

I'm sure the gen 2 bodies and/or the Z9 will be right up there. The system is looking promising that's for sure, they just need to sort out the two big issues.

What are these lol

Yeah I think I’m going to wait it out for now.
Moving from a Sony A9 to the first generation Z bodies will most likely see me disappointed, however I think Nikon have done extremely well for their first Z bodies. :)

85mm 1.8s is barely in stock at most dealers and its on promotion!

Wex shows stock £709, and can add to basket on Grays of Westminster. Few others also.

Also on eBay grey £637, I’ve currently got 10% discount active on my account, not sure if applied to everyone. Was tempted @ £574.

One in stock on amazon too but £750

I’m just not sure which route to take with lenses at the moment. I’ve always used zooms. So don’t know about using primes and if it suits me.

I was thinking I’d like 20/1.8S, 24-70/4S (or 24-105 if as good as the 24-70), 85/1.8S then maybe the 70-200/4 S or 100-400 S to replace my 70-200/4 G when released. But there’s no 70-200 on the roadmap. 14-30/4 is also temping at £735 grey with the eBay discount.

But then I’m fancying the 35 and 50 at the moment, especially as the 50 is £300 currently.

Last edited:
Single card slot and proper battery grip (y)

Card slot doesn't bother me TBH but grip Yup that a let down.. I wonder if they can ever do that is there contact in the battery for controls?

Yeah I think I’m going to wait it out for now.
Moving from a Sony A9 to the first generation Z bodies will most likely see me disappointed, however I think Nikon have done extremely well for their first Z bodies. :)
Dont be silly make the move now pal you know you want to move to the bright side

Card slot doesn't bother me TBH but grip Yup that a let down.. I wonder if they can ever do that is there contact in the battery for controls?
Single card slot doesn’t bother me either, but if they’re serious about pros using it I think they’re going to have to do 2 slots, listening to feedback most pros wouldn’t risk it even though XQD failure rate is minimal. The lack of useable grip is just stupid.
I’m not ruling it out but keen to wait it out for now. :)
What sort of stuff do you shoot, and is it paid?

Single card slot doesn’t bother me either, but if they’re serious about pros using it I think they’re going to have to do 2 slots, listening to feedback most pros wouldn’t risk it even though XQD failure rate is minimal. The lack of useable grip is just stupid.
What sort of stuff do you shoot, and is it paid?

I’m not shooting much these days and highly doubt I’m going to do paid work anymore, so the plan is to scale down at some point which got me looking at Nikon. Main use will be family photos, when out & about, holidays etc with room to grow.

Although technically the Sony’s are pretty much unbeatable, some of my most enjoyable photography moments have been with my old Nikon D7000 + 17-55mm f2.8 setup. The Fuji X100 had something about it too.

I suffer from GAS like other on here but moving systems probably isn’t the best move right now as deep down I know I’d end up missing certain A9 features.
I’m going to hold on for now but am keen to see where Nikon takes the Z system.
Ergonomically, build quality and user interface are market leading on the current Z series..... :)

Last edited:
I’m not shooting much these days and highly doubt I’m going to do paid work anymore, so the plan is to scale down at some point which got me looking at Nikon. Main use will be family photos, when out & about, holidays etc with room to grow.

Although technically the Sony’s are pretty much unbearable, some of my most enjoyable photography moments have been with my old Nikon D7000 + 17-55mm f2.8 setup. The Fuji X100 had something about it too.

I suffer from GAS like other on here but moving systems probably isn’t the best move right now as deep down I know I’d end up missing certain A9 features.
Ergonomically, build quality and user interface are market leading on the current Z series..... :)

Ide recouped the the money you can on your sony gear at the moment and get just a 24-70 from nikon for time being... For what you do your use like me the Z6 is perfect

Although technically the Sony’s are pretty much unbearable, some of my most enjoyable photography moments have been with my old Nikon D7000 + 17-55mm f2.8 setup. The Fuji X100 had something about it too.

The Ergonomic of the Z6 is perfect well to me it is it just such a blessing to use. The menu i know off my head as already had nikon.

The files the nikon produce or such a joy to work with

Sounds like the A9 is not overkill for what you shoot now then ;)

The Z should be able to handle what you want to shoot tbh, but it’s a big cost/loss swapping systems.

People talk about this great loss when switching, but it's not really if you compare your now lesser valued gear to the dropped price gear you want to switch to. The Z bodies have already fallen a fair bit in price since release.

People talk about this great loss when switching, but it's not really if you compare your now lesser valued gear to the dropped price gear you want to switch to. The Z bodies have already fallen a fair bit in price since release.
I just compare what it cost me originally to what I sell it for tbh. I know there’s more to it than that, and that I should factor in the enjoyment and usage I’ve had etc, but I’m a miserly northerner ;)

I just compare what it cost me originally to what I sell it for tbh. I know there’s more to it than that, and that I should factor in the enjoyment and usage I’ve had etc, but I’m a miserly northerner ;)

I used to do same, but thinking of the 3.2k I paid for the Nikon D800e to the 1100 I sold if for makes me vomit in my mouth a little

Buying mostly used but like new since.

Single card slot and proper battery grip (y)
Single card slot? One’s plenty for me. I used to manage with only one film in the camera at once.

Battery grip? Hate grips, single battery life is fine for me. Managed with only one wind-on knob in film days.

Single card slot? One’s plenty for me. I used to manage with only one film in the camera at once.

Battery grip? Hate grips, single battery life is fine for me. Managed with only one wind-on knob in film days.

I prefer having 2 slots, but I'll be honest and say I've only ever used the second for back up and the cards never leave the camera. I can't be bothered with battery grips either, it takes about 5 seconds at most to switch to a fresh battery

As I said to Rookies a single card slot doesn't bother me either, however when you listen to feedback most pros say it's essential to have two slots and is a deal breaker if it hasn't so if Nikon really want to compete and get a good number of pros using the Z system they need to add a second slot. I don't use a grip often, but when I do it certainly makes life easier and less fatiguing. I really don't see the point of their battery grip only (ie no functionality). I can quite easily cope swapping a battery out, and it adds no benefit working in portrait orientation as you still have to reach over to get to the shutter button. Pointless.

Sounds like the A9 is not overkill for what you shoot now then ;)

The Z should be able to handle what you want to shoot tbh, but it’s a big cost/loss swapping systems.

Waste of time and money switching to an inferior camera. Calculate your losses on the whole system @Riz_Guru , if you think the Z is going to hold value well you must be nuts, there will be new stuff announced soon enough, then it may be time to consider but not while you still have the best performing system on the market and paid for that privilege. If you want to dump the lot and just get a cheap walk around and don't need or want that additional performance now or in the future then maybe its a good move for you but it would probably make more sense to keep the A9 and just buy a fairly decent zoom.

Last edited:
Waste of time and money switching to an inferior camera.
99.9% of the time I'd completely agree, but I swapped from the D850 to the inferior Z7 and couldn't be happier, I just prefer using the Z7. BUT normally I would advise like you, unless there's a big pressing reason it doesn't make sense swapping to something 'inferior'.

99.9% of the time I'd completely agree, but I swapped from the D850 to the inferior Z7 and couldn't be happier, I just prefer using the Z7. BUT normally I would advise like you, unless there's a big pressing reason it doesn't make sense swapping to something 'inferior'.
All depends what aspect(s) one considers to be inferior. This will be a personal judgement, and each user will no doubt have a different (valid) opinion. There will never be any consumer item which is perfect for every buyer.

All depends what aspect(s) one considers to be inferior. This will be a personal judgement, and each user will no doubt have a different (valid) opinion. There will never be any consumer item which is perfect for every buyer.
True, I was talking purely in terms of performance/spec, but yes there's much more to it than that.

Back