Nikon Z* mirrorless

z6 24-70s and adaptor coming Tuesday paid £1799 from camera world see the price has went back up to £1939 again did I just get a bargain now looking at all the pics on this site think its going to get expensive with all the new lens I will have to get :)

@PeteStewardson have you used an lighting for those recent shots? The light looks so even and well balanced, I can never get natural light to look like that :(

So what's people thoughts on the DX Z system, do we think they'll stick with 'budget' slow lenses or do we think there'll be lenses like a 16-50mm f2.8 and some DX primes? There's nothing on the roadmap other than the two launch lenses, but looking at how small and light the Z50 is it could be a great travel system.

So what's people thoughts on the DX Z system, do we think they'll stick with 'budget' slow lenses or do we think there'll be lenses like a 16-50mm f2.8 and some DX primes? There's nothing on the roadmap other than the two launch lenses, but looking at how small and light the Z50 is it could be a great travel system.

Omg do I sense the oly being replaced

For me, it’s a non-starter without IBIS. Definitely puts it on the back foot compared with, say, m4/3.

Omg do I sense the oly being replaced
Nope, need that for wildlife and sports ;) Well I'll never say never, but it's not a consideration for the foreseeable future, IF I do ever replace the Olly then the camera would have to be suitable for travel and wildlife.
For me, it’s a non-starter without IBIS. Definitely puts it on the back foot compared with, say, m4/3.
I still can't get my head around no IBIS. Not a huge issue if all the DX lenses have 4-5 stop VR, but IBIS would be preferable.

Hope they stay with cheap lenses;) then i will not have to buy Sigma to go with the 16-50 and 50-250,not bothered about IBIS, i have it in both cameras now and only use it with the 60mm macro.
Checked with my LCS today and at the moment Nikon havent said i wont get it on time, so fingers crossed for the weekend.

@PeteStewardson have you used an lighting for those recent shots? The light looks so even and well balanced, I can never get natural light to look like that :(

No that’s 100% natural light. It’s all about placement and direction. The good light is always there somewhere, you just have to see it :)

No that’s 100% natural light. It’s all about placement and direction. The good light is always there somewhere, you just have to see it :)
To be fair I don’t get to do portraits very often, but when I have it’s tended to be harsh sunlight. I need a bright but overcast day ;)

Is there any way to display a different aspect ratio through the EVF or on the LCD screen? On previous cameras I would often change the displayed aspect ratio to aid with framing when shooting landscapes. No big deal if you can't, and as I've yet to find anything in amongst the various menus I'm guessing you can't, but would make at least my life a little easier if you could!

Thanks in advance.

Simon.

Is there any way to display a different aspect ratio through the EVF or on the LCD screen? On previous cameras I would often change the displayed aspect ratio to aid with framing when shooting landscapes. No big deal if you can't, and as I've yet to find anything in amongst the various menus I'm guessing you can't, but would make at least my life a little easier if you could!

Thanks in advance.

Simon.
I’m pretty sure you can change aspect ratio and I’d have thought this would show in the EVF otherwise how would you know what you’re framing :confused:

Thanks in advance.

Simon.
I’m pretty sure you can change aspect ratio and I’d have thought this would show in the EVF otherwise how would you know what you’re framing :confused:
Just looked, the Z7 has 3 different aspect ratios (5:4, 1:1, 16:9) and the Z6 only 2 (1:1 and 16:9). Strange no 4:3 and no idea how it shows in the EVF.

I sold my 104/1.4 when I got the 85. Very similar look bokeh wise to my eye.
like the look of the 85 will wait and see when z6 arrives try out all lans and see what I need to up grade still going to keep d750 and d850 so can't sell all of my lens to get zeds

Just looked, the Z7 has 3 different aspect ratios (5:4, 1:1, 16:9) and the Z6 only 2 (1:1 and 16:9). Strange no 4:3 and no idea how it shows in the EVF.

Thanks for that Toby. I'll have to track down the correct menu option to adjust it. I really like the 4:3 or 5:4 aspect ratio when I shoot in portrait orientation. Real shame if the Z6 doesn't have them.

Cheers,

Simon.

Thanks for that Toby. I'll have to track down the correct menu option to adjust it. I really like the 4:3 or 5:4 aspect ratio when I shoot in portrait orientation. Real shame if the Z6 doesn't have them.

Cheers,

Simon.
Page 104 of the manual (y)

I doubt you will see many lenses for the DX mirrorless, if any more at all, especially if the DX mirrorless doesn't sell as expected. :rolleyes: It will get the same attention lens wise as the DSLR DX did, but without the benefit of the DX format of their mirrorless coming first to build a large user base, which gave the DX lens count a boost at the beginning. I don't think Nikon have the capacity to make many lenses a year, and the FF lenses are the priority, as the lens map shows. :rolleyes: I think the DX mirrorless is the 'me too' format to match Sony, and to a lesser extent Canon, in their non FF mirrorless cameras. To appeal to the beginners, and the non enthusiasts who generally don't buy a lot of lenses above what Nikon have offered. Lenses is where they will make most of their money, and more FF users buy lenses, and more expensive lenses. ;)

Last edited:
It could be this work PC but they just look soft to me, but on my mac at full size they are stupidly sharp. Ironically they looked sharper on facebook :LOL:
With so many different screen types and jpeg compressions going on the viewing medium seems far more relevant than the lens that was used!

Now I really really want the 85mm especially as York Camera Mart have them at £689.00.....

Not sure if YCM are grey or not?

YCM is UK stock AFAIK. Used to peep in their shop every so often when I walked past it but I was a poor student and couldn't afford any of it at the time lol

YCM is UK stock AFAIK. Used to peep in their shop every so often when I walked past it but I was a poor student and couldn't afford any of it at the time lol
Yup I always pop in every time i walk past it too when we visit york as my mrs parents lives there

I'm hoping the next FW update will bring the AF on the Z bodies more in line with the Sony or even just matching the reliability of the Nikon DSLRs. For me I nearly sold the Z6 because of the AF issues. But I decided to stick with it and just massively overshoot for now. That is sort of working for me at the minute until Nikon sort it out. I'm hoping it wont need a new body purchase and that it will be through a FW update. But the lenses and IQ when in focus is just so good, sort the AF out and this will be a system to keep me happy for a long time to come.

I'm hoping the next FW update will bring the AF on the Z bodies more in line with the Sony or even just matching the reliability of the Nikon DSLRs. For me I nearly sold the Z6 because of the AF issues. But I decided to stick with it and just massively overshoot for now. That is sort of working for me at the minute until Nikon sort it out. I'm hoping it wont need a new body purchase and that it will be through a FW update. But the lenses and IQ when in focus is just so good, sort the AF out and this will be a system to keep me happy for a long time to come.
What AF issues are you having?

What AF issues are you having?

I’m always wary of talking about them. The fanboys don’t like it. I’ve been kicked out of Facebook groups on the Z line as I’m not a real photographer and don’t know which way up to hold a camera which apparently is all my fault, the Z range is perfect.

I’m always wary of talking about them. The fanboys don’t like it. I’ve been kicked out of Facebook groups on the Z line as I’m not a real photographer and don’t know which way up to hold a camera which apparently is all my fault, the Z range is perfect.
Don’t worry, I don’t think there’s any extreme fanboys on here. I’m the first to admit the Z’s aren’t perfect, I’m just intrigued to hear where exactly you’re finding the Z’s lacking as I’ve not really used mine for anything particularly taxing yet? I have found that the Z7 doesn’t like focussing on shiny surfaces though.

As Toby says dont worry..

TBH everything I have thrown at my Z6 so far have been successful and I have come from a A7iii imho I am liking the Z6 more

It all depends on what your criteria are. Different users have different criteria.
I’m always looking intrigued what gear is capable or not capable of even if it’s not something that would affect the things I shoot (y)

z6 kit just arrived first thoughts is that's quiet it is a bit small for my hands 850 and d3 fits good will take a bit of time to get used to it tried some of my non z lenses and all good
so looking forward to go out tomorrow with it is the z7 the same physical size

z6 kit just arrived first thoughts is that's quiet it is a bit small for my hands 850 and d3 fits good will take a bit of time to get used to it tried some of my non z lenses and all good

I think this is many people's first impression after switching from larger dslr to any of the ML bodies. I remember when I switched from the D800 to the Fuji X-T1 and wondering if I'd done the right thing. Took me no time to adjust once I'd gotten over that initial 'down size' shock. Of course back then, bigger was always thought to be better, not so much anymore.

Z7 is the same size yeah.

OK I'll say it then. I'm not kidding about being kicked out of a FB group because I haven't drunk enough cool aid though...

So let me firstly give some background. I've shot Nikon DSLR's since the D70 came out. And quite quickly ended up with the more professional ranges. I shot weddings with a D3 ( which I pre-ordered because I couldn't put down my D2x ) and a D700 as backup for quite a few years, but eventually wound up the business and sold all my bodies and moved to just a D750. I kind of drifted away from photography then due to lack of interest. When the Z6/7 were announced I started to pick up my D750 again and decided to move to a Z6. So I got the Z6 very early after the pre-orders.

So I got my Z6 and mid May I was asked to shoot a friends wedding in Cyprus to capture more candid stuff as they'd only paid for a basic photo package with the destination wedding package. So I shot this nearly exclusively on the 105/1.4 with V1 firmware. Quite frankly it was awful on V1 FW with lockups and focus all over the place but I managed. But after enjoying it, and getting loads of positive comments I started to consider getting back into the wedding business. So I decided I needed to shoot a lot with the z6 to learn it, assuming it was me.

Oh, let me also preface this by saying I have always used back button focus and AF-C. I've always shot every SLR since the button was there.

Now V2.00 came along not long after and everyone was raving about it. So let me get this one out of the way first... But keep reading after honestly. I ran home, uploaded V2.00 and immediately tested eye-af and... urggg, eye-lash af :puke: Now it's not a often you expose it badly by shooting close with a 1.4, but I could see it with the 24-70/4 lens just as easy. You have to stop down a fair bit to not find it noticeable. Interestingly I've seen loads of youtube videos trying to claim it's fine, but in most of them the examples clearly show the same thing. Anyway you can cope with that, shoot at f8 and it'll all be fine haha but eye-af gets confused quite a lot. Have people in the background, or people at different distances from each other, and quite often it seems to get badly confused. So I don't use it, it's turned off completely.

Dynamic-AF I have seen issues with. So there is no 3d tracking or anything similar, so dynamic af seems ok if the subject isn't moving towards or away from you, but I've noticed it can get confused easily by things in the background when a subject is moving towards or away from you. I was shooting a 5-a-side football match by professional footballers for a charity thing, and it often seemed to get confused and focus on something behind the subject, even though the focus box in the centre was on the subject.

Now this isn't a speed issue. I don't subscribe to the idea that the Z6/7 are not fast enough, some claim it's no good for sport because it's too slow, it's not slow. It's that it seems to get confused, and if you look carefully you will always find something in sharp focus, just not what you were pointing it at.

So I tend to use single point mode exclusively now as it's the most reliable. But even single point in AF-C has issues. I've had a couple of instances where it point blank refuses to focus on the target. I was trying to take a photo of a robin at the Eden project, sat in a bush right in front of me, the focus point completely on the robin, but it wouldn't focus on it. In fact it focused on the things through the bush. I even put my hand in front of the lens, focused on my hand, then back on the robin and it did the same. Maybe it has a Robin phobia. haha

But more often that not I find some shots just not in sharp focus. Close but not in focus. My main subjects tend to be people ( but not models ), who don't hold position while you take a photo, they move a little bit and often when you look at the photos they're just not sharply focused. Now if I use AF-S, it gets it right pretty much every time, but I don't use AF-S if the subject is moving as it won't work.

So for me, it's not that the speed is lacking, it's not that it can't be accurate ( it is in AF-S ), it's that there are bugs in AF-C mode algorithms. I also have a suspicion that the AF area is too large, and I'd love to have a Z7 to compare as that has smaller AF points because it has higher resolution, and actually when you look at the size of the sony points they are much smaller. The Z line just isn't as reliable as say a D750 on AF. I'd say the Z6 is a lot faster to focus than the D750, but not 100% reliable at the same time.

So switch to Sony I have people tell me. But I got the chance to borrow an A7ii and quite frankly I hated it. The feel, menus, button and everything about the physical body I didn't like. But the AF was fantastic. I haven't tried the A7R4 or an A9 but they are supposedly better. But I wouldn't switch.

So what I'm doing is putting my faith in Nikon that they will fix it. There's a new FW update coming at some point for the raw video, I'm hoping this will have AF improvements too. In the mean time, I over shoot. I over shoot a lot. I use bursts of shots and then I end up with less missed shots as pretty much every time you can ignore the soft image as you have a sharp one to make up for it. I've switched to nearly all Z line lenses, because they're stupidly good, and just waiting for the AF performance to catch up a bit.

Edit: Sorry that was a lot longer than I planned it to be, bit of an essay sorry :(

OK I'll say it then. I'm not kidding about being kicked out of a FB group because I haven't drunk enough cool aid though...

So let me firstly give some background. I've shot Nikon DSLR's since the D70 came out. And quite quickly ended up with the more professional ranges. I shot weddings with a D3 ( which I pre-ordered because I couldn't put down my D2x ) and a D700 as backup for quite a few years, but eventually wound up the business and sold all my bodies and moved to just a D750. I kind of drifted away from photography then due to lack of interest. When the Z6/7 were announced I started to pick up my D750 again and decided to move to a Z6. So I got the Z6 very early after the pre-orders.

So I got my Z6 and mid May I was asked to shoot a friends wedding in Cyprus to capture more candid stuff as they'd only paid for a basic photo package with the destination wedding package. So I shot this nearly exclusively on the 105/1.4 with V1 firmware. Quite frankly it was awful on V1 FW with lockups and focus all over the place but I managed. But after enjoying it, and getting loads of positive comments I started to consider getting back into the wedding business. So I decided I needed to shoot a lot with the z6 to learn it, assuming it was me.

Oh, let me also preface this by saying I have always used back button focus and AF-C. I've always shot every SLR since the button was there.

Now V2.00 came along not long after and everyone was raving about it. So let me get this one out of the way first... But keep reading after honestly. I ran home, uploaded V2.00 and immediately tested eye-af and... urggg, eye-lash af :puke: Now it's not a often you expose it badly by shooting close with a 1.4, but I could see it with the 24-70/4 lens just as easy. You have to stop down a fair bit to not find it noticeable. Interestingly I've seen loads of youtube videos trying to claim it's fine, but in most of them the examples clearly show the same thing. Anyway you can cope with that, shoot at f8 and it'll all be fine haha but eye-af gets confused quite a lot. Have people in the background, or people at different distances from each other, and quite often it seems to get badly confused. So I don't use it, it's turned off completely.

Dynamic-AF I have seen issues with. So there is no 3d tracking or anything similar, so dynamic af seems ok if the subject isn't moving towards or away from you, but I've noticed it can get confused easily by things in the background when a subject is moving towards or away from you. I was shooting a 5-a-side football match by professional footballers for a charity thing, and it often seemed to get confused and focus on something behind the subject, even though the focus box in the centre was on the subject.

Now this isn't a speed issue. I don't subscribe to the idea that the Z6/7 are not fast enough, some claim it's no good for sport because it's too slow, it's not slow. It's that it seems to get confused, and if you look carefully you will always find something in sharp focus, just not what you were pointing it at.

So I tend to use single point mode exclusively now as it's the most reliable. But even single point in AF-C has issues. I've had a couple of instances where it point blank refuses to focus on the target. I was trying to take a photo of a robin at the Eden project, sat in a bush right in front of me, the focus point completely on the robin, but it wouldn't focus on it. In fact it focused on the things through the bush. I even put my hand in front of the lens, focused on my hand, then back on the robin and it did the same. Maybe it has a Robin phobia. haha

But more often that not I find some shots just not in sharp focus. Close but not in focus. My main subjects tend to be people ( but not models ), who don't hold position while you take a photo, they move a little bit and often when you look at the photos they're just not sharply focused. Now if I use AF-S, it gets it right pretty much every time, but I don't use AF-S if the subject is moving as it won't work.

So for me, it's not that the speed is lacking, it's not that it can't be accurate ( it is in AF-S ), it's that there are bugs in AF-C mode algorithms. I also have a suspicion that the AF area is too large, and I'd love to have a Z7 to compare as that has smaller AF points because it has higher resolution, and actually when you look at the size of the sony points they are much smaller. The Z line just isn't as reliable as say a D750 on AF. I'd say the Z6 is a lot faster to focus than the D750, but not 100% reliable at the same time.

So switch to Sony I have people tell me. But I got the chance to borrow an A7ii and quite frankly I hated it. The feel, menus, button and everything about the physical body I didn't like. But the AF was fantastic. I haven't tried the A7R4 or an A9 but they are supposedly better. But I wouldn't switch.

So what I'm doing is putting my faith in Nikon that they will fix it. There's a new FW update coming at some point for the raw video, I'm hoping this will have AF improvements too. In the mean time, I over shoot. I over shoot a lot. I use bursts of shots and then I end up with less missed shots as pretty much every time you can ignore the soft image as you have a sharp one to make up for it. I've switched to nearly all Z line lenses, because they're stupidly good, and just waiting for the AF performance to catch up a bit.

Edit: Sorry that was a lot longer than I planned it to be, bit of an essay sorry :(

I never really understood the people who buy things knowing their performance isn't up to task then hoping manufacturer will fix it via. fw one fine day then complaining when it doesn't happen quickly or happen at all. When i buy cameras I buy them based on their current state and not a firmware update that may or may not happen especially when no such thing has been promised.

As for shooting weddings or professionally, not sure why people risk it with single card slots!! seems crazy to me but there you go.

Good luck to you but this line of thinking does not make much sense to me tbh!

Back