Nikon Z* mirrorless

Seems like it only z6 effected not z7

Only came to my attention today. I notice all images from the z6 when imported to Lr they all had noise reductions and details added to every image without me doing it. Odd
Weird.

Seems like it only z6 effected not z7

It’s not just noise either there is other changes mentioned in that article that its making as well.

Nikon have purposely done this by adding markers in the exif, wonder if it happens with other software as well. Strange decision for them to make the whole point of raw files is having a blank canvas to start from.

It’s not just noise either there is other changes mentioned in that article that its making as well.

Nikon have purposely done this by adding markers in the exif, wonder if it happens with other software as well. Strange decision for them to make the whole point of raw files is having a blank canvas to start from.

When I open Z50 raw files in ACR I get these two adjustments premade for me, contrast and saturation, i have vivid set in jpeg but this is a raw file.

Captureadj.JPG

Just checked one of my raw files I’ve not process and yup looks like other sliders are effected too. Very odd

I've just opened a Z6 and Z7 raw file in lightroom, and under the basic tab, everything is set to Zero. The tone curve is flat also. The only panel that seems to have some adjustment is the details tab, where it defaults to the below

This is in Adobe Photoshop Lightroom classic Release 9.0 ACR Version 12.0

I've just opened a Z6 and Z7 raw file in lightroom, and under the basic tab, everything is set to Zero. The tone curve is flat also. The only panel that seems to have some adjustment is the details tab, where it defaults to the below

But should people want these detail altering

Can't you just over-ride the defaults manually? I do this for every new camera I get. Fuji XH1 for example, Adobe had sharpening at 40 by default, and Fuji RAW files don't need anything like that so I reset mine to 0 and add as required. You only need do it the once and you're sorted, no big deal

That's exactly how my LR adjustments panel looks for my Z6 as well Andrew. I noticed the detail settings the first time I uploaded images into LR. I just don't see it as any sort of issue, as all of the sliders can be adjusted. My normal workflow (as with every system I've owned), sees me work from top to bottom adjusting as necessary in an iterative process on an image by image basis. At the end of the day, I'm delighted with the output I'm getting from the Z6.

Cheers,

Simon.

That's exactly how my LR adjustments panel looks for my Z6 as well Andrew. I noticed the detail settings the first time I uploaded images into LR. I just don't see it as any sort of issue, as all of the sliders can be adjusted. My normal workflow (as with every system I've owned), sees me work from top to bottom adjusting as necessary in an iterative process on an image by image basis. At the end of the day, I'm delighted with the output I'm getting from the Z6.

Cheers,

Simon.

This not the whole point. The whole point it making people think z files has no noise but they been adjusted.

I thought it was the general understanding that above a certain ISO (which probably varies by manufacturer), RAW files from ALL manufactures (be they Nikon, Sony, Canon, Fuji Olympus etc.) had a certain amount of NR baked in - even in the RAW files, so I don't think you ever see the true image straight off the sensor.

All I know is whether the NR is being manipulated or not, the high ISO images coming off my Z6 in particular are stunning and the very best I've ever had in any camera i've ever owned (and I've owned quite a few, although not Sony).

Last edited:
This not the whole point. The whole point it making people think z files has no noise but they been adjusted.

But I'm really not bothered by that at all. At the end of the day, all I'm really interested in is the result of the final image I get after I've processed it in LR or PS. Where the sliders start on image import is pretty much irrelevant as far as I'm concerned as I'll look at each one in turn and change it if I think the image requires it. YMMV, but personally this really isn't something I see any need to get bothered about in any way, shape or form.

Simon.

Not anyone who knows how to work LR. Tbh, it's nit-picky to complain about such things, all of these cameras are excellent for ISO performance, hidden tweaks or not.

Can't you just over-ride the defaults manually? I do this for every new camera I get. Fuji XH1 for example, Adobe had sharpening at 40 by default, and Fuji RAW files don't need anything like that so I reset mine to 0 and add as required. You only need do it the once and you're sorted, no big deal

Yup, very easy to apply on import.

Not interested in what it makes people think. All I know is that a) I’m happy with the results from my Z6 and b) I make adjustments as needed to every image.

if you did, what would you swap it for the next week? :D

Was that need for that not a nice thing to say about animal that cruel thank you...

As i seen it done loads of time with dog being left f*****g d******ds out there

I thought it was the general understanding that above a certain ISO (which probably varies by manufacturer), RAW files from ALL manufactures (be they Nikon, Sony, Canon, Fuji Olympus etc.) had a certain amount of NR baked in - even in the RAW files, so I don't think you ever see the true image straight off the sensor.

All I know is whether the NR is being manipulated or not, the high ISO images coming off my Z6 in particular are stunning and the very best I've ever had in any camera i've ever owned (and I've owned quite a few, although not Sony).

If sony applied the same thing in LR it be a different story

With the Z cameras, Nikon decided that it will try to fill EXIF fields read by other programs (IE Lightroom) so that the initial RAW setting would be as close to possible to a JPG preview in the camera (so if you have set Vivid, it will boost contrast, if you have NR set it will set NR in Lightroom,...). Why it did that, I have no clue, but yeah, you need to set defaults at each import if you don't want that...

With the Z cameras, Nikon decided that it will try to fill EXIF fields read by other programs (IE Lightroom) so that the initial RAW setting would be as close to possible to a JPG preview in the camera (so if you have set Vivid, it will boost contrast, if you have NR set it will set NR in Lightroom,...). Why it did that, I have no clue, but yeah, you need to set defaults at each import if you don't want that...

Is it only nikon that does this

Was that need for that not a nice thing to say about animal that cruel thank you...

As i seen it done loads of time with dog being left f*****g d******ds out there
Apologies if you’re offended - intended as a humorous dig at your uncertainty over camera systems. My dog, as all of my dogs have been, is a rescue dog and all the better for it.

Apologies if you’re offended - intended as a humorous dig at your uncertainty over camera systems. My dog, as all of my dogs have been, is a rescue dog and all the better for it.

Accepted..

Honestly it make my blood boil when people dump there pets or abuse them etc seen a lot of it... Ive seen people have puppy since they cute when they older that it bye bye.. This drive me nut.

I am a big animal lover. Love dogs pup or old no matter what.. Just like our Jack Russel loved her all the way from pup to now and she 15 bless her

Looks like just a 2 second process to revert back though. Not a big issue.

Easily fixed by zeroing each slide then reset the default import, future imports will then be at zero. Note that if you use different bodies you will have to go through the process for each body type, I had to do it individually for the D5, D850 and D500.

GC

Anyone who is seeing the changes to NR are you using DNG or NEF?

I haven’t been in LR for a few months, wiped my MacBook and never got around to setting it up again and no longer have a sub, waiting for annual one. But iirc I didn’t see this? I think I was shooting in camera standard, with everything set to off.

If you shoot in flat nothing should be applied from what I can find. There was also something about importing with adobe standard nothing applied I think. Too much information too take in 3am.

Looks like just a 2 second process to revert back though. Not a big issue.

As i have been taken out of the equation for initial setting adjustments it could be why i like the results ;)

Anyone who is seeing the changes to NR are you using DNG or NEF?

I haven’t been in LR for a few months, wiped my MacBook and never got around to setting it up again and no longer have a sub, waiting for annual one. But iirc I didn’t see this? I think I was shooting in camera standard, with everything set to off.

If you shoot in flat nothing should be applied from what I can find. There was also something about importing with adobe standard nothing applied I think. Too much information too take in 3am.

My files are NEF with Camera Flat profile in LR and the increased values still appeared. Not near LR to check just now but I thought the colour profile parameters didn't show on the sliders (ie the profile parameter value becomes the nominal)?

GC

Accepted..

Honestly it make my blood boil when people dump there pets or abuse them etc seen a lot of it... Ive seen people have puppy since they cute when they older that it bye bye.. This drive me nut.

I am a big animal lover. Love dogs pup or old no matter what.. Just like our Jack Russel loved her all the way from pup to now and she 15 bless her
Jack Russells Rule! :banana:

I was converting to DNG maybe that’s why I don’t recall seeing it, if I had I profile setup with adobe defaults.

My understanding was that no NR is applied to raw unless it's Fuji as Stephen mentioned. Having NR applied on import is actually different to the raw files having NR on them. I could of course be wrong and there is some NR on all raw files, but that wouldn't make sense to me.

@rookies just tested my Z7 importing without my preset and that has added 13 NR to my 2000 ISO image. I'm glad you brought it to my attention so thanks for that. That being said I always import with my own preset (which has 0 NR) but it is good to know in case I forget to import with my preset for whatever reason.

My understanding was that no NR is applied to raw unless it's Fuji as Stephen mentioned. Having NR applied on import is actually different to the raw files having NR on them. I could of course be wrong and there is some NR on all raw files, but that wouldn't make sense to me.

@rookies just tested my Z7 importing without my preset and that has added 13 NR to my 2000 ISO image. I'm glad you brought it to my attention so thanks for that. That being said I always import with my own preset (which has 0 NR) but it is good to know in case I forget to import with my preset for whatever reason.

I didn't notice till last night as i dont normally touch the detail section so it not expanded on view..

What do you normally apply on your import preset?

I didn't notice till last night as i dont normally touch the detail section so it not expanded on view..

What do you normally apply on your import preset?
0 NR and 25 sharpening. TBH I don't even apply NR to high ISO/low light shots with the Nikon except for very rare occasions

Back