Nikon Z* mirrorless

@snerkler when you said you’ve been having trouble with afc a few days back. What area modes have you used, Or have you tried them all?

@snerkler when you said you’ve been having trouble with afc a few days back. What area modes have you used, Or have you tried them all?
All now, much better with single point wide than single point small I’ve found.

All now, much better with single point wide than single point small I’ve found.

I was about to say was messing with modes a few nights ago and found small/wide and dynamic a lot better than just single point. I was at 1/80, f4, 51200 (I think showing under on meter too) low light af off and focus was okay. Occasionally a little hunting back and forth. Was basically room lit by tv. I think it depends a lot on situation which size point is needed.

I was about to say was messing with modes a few nights ago and found small/wide and dynamic a lot better than just single point. I was at 1/80, f4, 51200 (I think showing under on meter too) low light af off and focus was okay. Occasionally a little hunting back and forth. Was basically room lit by tv. I think it depends a lot on situation which size point is needed.

I found it hunt back and forth in the z6

Sorry I meant still single point, but there’s pinpoint single (only in AF-S), small single and wide single. Wide single worked so much better than small single, only trouble is the AF box is the size of my puppy’s head if I want a full shot of her :ROFLMAO:

I’m not going to deny that I really fancy the A9 whilst she’s so small and running around like a nutter as I don’t think much else would keep up, but I’m not going to swap systems just for 6 months of puppy photos ;)

Sorry I meant still single point, but there’s pinpoint single (only in AF-S), small single and wide single. Wide single worked so much better than small single, only trouble is the AF box is the size of my puppy’s head if I want a full shot of her :ROFLMAO:

I’m not going to deny that I really fancy the A9 whilst she’s so small and running around like a nutter as I don’t think much else would keep up, but I’m not going to swap systems just for 6 months of puppy photos ;)

Yeah that’s the thing with wide being so big, if could be focusing on anywhere within the box. Unless it goes for the centre and uses information around to assist. Have you tried wide to see where critical focus is achieved? Did you try turning off live preview too?

Yeah with me thinking of switching to A7iii then would I be happy anyway. When I really want the new body design. So I then thought of the A7Riv, but I don’t want the megapixels and if I wanted the ‘council house’ (as in the Sony thread) 1.8 primes would they be good enough for the 61mp sensor I wouldn’t buy GM glass to mostly sit in a drawer. Which leads you on to the A9ii for the new body, but then has less dynamic range for landscape stuff. I’ll leave my trade thread open but if nothing comes of it then I’m not too fussed. I’ll fix my GAS with a Z lens.

Could always pick up a cheap D750 or something just for now. Bit of a bruised one shouldn’t loose much after just for 6 months.

Last edited:
Yeah that’s the thing with wide being so big, if could be focusing on anywhere within the box. Unless it goes for the centre and uses information around to assist. Have you tried wide to see where critical focus is achieved? Did you try turning off live preview too?

Yeah with me thinking of switching to A7iii then would I be happy anyway. When I really want the new body design. So I then thought of the A7Riv, but I don’t want the megapixels and if I wanted the ‘council house’ (as in the Sony thread) 1.8 primes would they be good enough for the 61mp sensor I wouldn’t buy GM glass to mostly sit in a drawer. Which leads you on to the A9ii for the new body, but then has less dynamic range for landscape stuff. I’ll leave my trade thread open but if nothing comes of it then I’m not too fussed. I’ll fix my GAS with a Z lens.

Could always pick up a cheap D750 or something just for now. Bit of a bruised one shouldn’t loose much after just for 6 months.
I like the look of the A7RIV, downloaded some sample raws today and they were really nice, not difficult to get colours how I like. I’d use compressed raw most of the time, I’m sure you’d not see a difference.

Ive handle a new body design and to my shock i prefer the old one as the new one the grip is bigger and it makes your knuckles catch the lens more than it does on the old design that was my finding..

Ive handle a new body design and to my shock i prefer the old one as the new one the grip is bigger and it makes your knuckles catch the lens more than it does on the old design that was my finding..
I find I struggle with C1 and C2 placement and prefer the location of the ISO and record button of Nikon, if grip space is also reduced Sony is a definite no no for me (y)

In every mode and af area?

It can sometimes, not saying it doesn’t. But realistically the only low light I do/plan on doing is astro where I don’t need it anyway.
Not the wide mode but then I couldn't get what I want in focus sharp when in wide.

I find I struggle with C1 and C2 placement and prefer the location of the ISO and record button of Nikon, if grip space is also reduced Sony is a definite no no for me (y)

Well I have found those easier to find than the ones on the Z when camera at the eye.. I suppose we have our own preference

Oh really, everyone was saying that it was better on reviews. But it was probably most of the people who were at Kando Sony Camp. They’ll get it right one day :exit:
They could mould knuckle holes into lenses?:giggle:

Yeah I’m not sure how I’d set them up, I don’t think you’re missing anything if you didn’t use them. ISO on the back dial instead, dedicated EC dial. That’s two of the Nikon buttons you don’t need there. I have record set to metering. I don’t know how I’d set them up though.

Last edited:
Oh really, everyone was saying that it was better on reviews. But it was probably most of the people who were at Kando Sony Camp. They’ll get it right one day :exit:
They could mould knuckle holes into lenses?:giggle:

Yeah I’m not sure how I’d set them up, I don’t think you’re missing anything if you didn’t use them. ISO on the back dial instead, dedicated EC dial. That’s two of the Nikon buttons you don’t need there. I have record set to metering. I don’t know how I’d set them up though.

I have my C button set like what on the Nikon just that they are placed in a different place.. One is for ISO as it easier to control while camera at eye than using the back wheel.. and the other is metering mode..

Poster a ebook link in Sony thread very interesting

Managed to get out with the camera this afternoon for an hour, and headed to a favourite haunt of mine - the Infinity Bridge in Stockton on Tees

Infinity Bridge by Simon Harrison, on Flickr

Really lucky with conditions, as while you can get good reflections reasonably regularly, it's not often the water is like glass :)

Z6 + 24-70mm f4 S

Cheers,

Simon.
Nice (y)

Managed to get out with the camera this afternoon for an hour, and headed to a favourite haunt of mine - the Infinity Bridge in Stockton on Tees

Really lucky with conditions, as while you can get good reflections reasonably regularly, it's not often the water is like glass :)

Z6 + 24-70mm f4 S

Cheers,

Simon.

Great photo Simon ! It’s as sharp as a sharp thing that’s sharp too !!

On the Nikon I have the record button set to metering and then the ISO button and Exp comp. On the Sony Id have C1 and C2 set to metering and ISO, and then there’s a dedicated exp comp dial. Trouble is there’s no front buttons on the Sony which I use all the time on the Nikon (for Autofocus modes and my menu), and also I use the D-pad on the Nikon to move the focus point, not sure you can do this on the Sony?

I’m sure like any camera you’d get used to it but I’d miss certain buttons for sure.

Well, I took the plunge today and bought the Z6 bundle. A bit more than I wanted to pay but supporting the highstreet is always a good thing! Looking forward to a chance to get out with it!

Z6 + 24-70mm f4 S

Cheers,

Simon.
That’s lovely.

Few photos taken on a trip into town with the kids the other night. Nothing special, just decided to play around with the 50/1.8s while walking around.

EDIT: I need to check my export settings as these look really soft when here in lightroom they're sharp as a tac.

_DSC8467-2.jpg

_DSC8474-2.jpg

_DSC8475-2.jpg

Last edited:
I had a Z6 on loan for a few days and I tried manual focus with my 85/1.4D lens with focus peaking turned on in camera. Oh my, manual focus was a snap!
Thanks, Paul! Hard to believe that yours is the only reply I can see to this. So were you achieving focus (with peaking on) at taking aperture, rather than wide open as focussing is/was conventionally done? Or were you peaking wide open then stopping down to meter and expose. Or what? How did the flow of operation strike you, overall?

I tried one photo at f1.4 and one at f9. With both I set the aperture first and then used manual focus. It was so easy! If you're familiar with focussing screens from back in the film camera days using manual focus on the Z6 with focus peaking was even easier. I just can't emphasize how easy it was. If I had a Z6 I would seriously contemplate getting old film era manual lenses.

I tried one photo at f1.4 and one at f9. With both I set the aperture first and then used manual focus. It was so easy! If you're familiar with focussing screens from back in the film camera days using manual focus on the Z6 with focus peaking was even easier. I just can't emphasize how easy it was. If I had a Z6 I would seriously contemplate getting old film era manual lenses.
I need to give it a go I think. On previous cameras I’ve had (those where I’ve tried peaking at least) it’s not been accurate enough to nail say eyes of a person as the zone of focus/peaking has been too large. Bizarrely I did find it useful for macro as I found the zone of focus/peaking much narrower in these situations o_O

Film era lens prices seem to be rising so anyone who's interested in them but doesn't already have some should be quick.

I find peaking quite accurate (I have a Sony) at the widest apertures but much less so at smaller apertures when just about everything peaks. Focusing with the magnified view is possibly the most accurate way to focus, assuming you have the time.

Back