Nikon Z* mirrorless

If you're familiar with focussing screens from back in the film camera days using manual focus on the Z6 with focus peaking was even easier. I just can't emphasize how easy it was. If I had a Z6 I would seriously contemplate getting old film era manual lenses.
Yes, I'm very familiar with film era focus screens! And all my lenses are mf - some old(ish) (Nikkors) and some new (Zeiss & Voigtlander). So thanks, that's encouraging.

anyone using Z50 yet? If so what are your thoughts? I am toying with idea of either a Z50 or Z6. Obviously Z6 will involve purchase of new cards. Main thing I am after is how is the quality of higher iso images (mainly in the ranges of 1600 to 6400)

Need someone to sell me on the Z6..... and why I should change from my Sony a7iii?

I handled it for the first time today, ergonomically better than the a7iii. Way heavier than the a7iii. Menu System slightly better than the a7iii.

Tested it with a native 24-120 Nikon lens using the adapter. The guy in the shop Said he would do all three for £2100....

I’m still pondering...

If you need someone else to "sell" you on a camera then surely it's not for you. At the end of the day only you can decide if it's right, especially as you have handled one now and had the chance to compare it against your present camera.

There seems to be a lot of "pondering" on this forum lately (myself included) :LOL:

Need someone to sell me on the Z6..... and why I should change from my Sony a7iii?

I handled it for the first time today, ergonomically better than the a7iii. Way heavier than the a7iii. Menu System slightly better than the a7iii.

Tested it with a native 24-120 Nikon lens using the adapter. The guy in the shop Said he would do all three for £2100....

I’m still pondering...

Truth is, they are both fabulous cameras.
Happy with my Z6 but I’ve been tempted by the Sony. I now have one.
Wanted to see for myself what the AF and eye AF are like.
No doubt I’ll have to decide between them. It won’t be an easy choice.
I think Sony “does” more..

If you need AF speed brilliant human and animal Eye AF then no don’t do it. I left a7iii for z6 now I am back in Sony land. Ok z6 is lovely to handle.

Also but hope am wrong I don’t think Nikon be throwing out as many good firmware updates.

@trevorbray ..... I’d be interested in your findings Trevor. (y)

I’m still pondering...
This is how I’d some it up, Nikon is a nicer camera to use, Sony has better AF performance. I’ve contemplated the A7RIII, A7III and recently A7RIV and A9/A9-II. Obviously this is preference but I haven’t found a Sony e-mount that feels nice to use yet and I don’t like the way the info is displayed in the EVF and LCD, too distracting for me. On the Nikon it seems less obtrusive somehow. I’d love Sony’s AF system though, especially animal eye AF, I’m hoping Nikon can implement something similar and up to a similar standard in future cameras. Their human eye AF works OK, but not as good as Sony.

This is how I’d some it up, Nikon is a nicer camera to use, Sony has better AF performance. I’ve contemplated the A7RIII, A7III and recently A7RIV and A9/A9-II. Obviously this is preference but I haven’t found a Sony e-mount that feels nice to use yet and I don’t like the way the info is displayed in the EVF and LCD, too distracting for me. On the Nikon it seems less obtrusive somehow. I’d love Sony’s AF system though, especially animal eye AF, I’m hoping Nikon can implement something similar and up to a similar standard in future cameras. Their human eye AF works OK, but not as good as Sony.

You don't like any of the 5 options that it allows you to change it too?

Or have you only tried one?

You don't like any of the 5 options that it allows you to change it too?

Or have you only tried one?
No scrolled through.

I like to have all the shooting info on the screen, it’s just on the Sony it’s more obtrusive. I think the icons etc are smaller/more subtle on the Nikon. It’s only a minor thing, no deal breaker ;)

I've been thinking about entering the mirrorless world. A toss up between the Sony A7iii, the Nikon Z6 and the Canon EOS-R. It's a hard decision, particularly when coming from a camera I love so much the D750. So far the Sony A7iii's ergonomics and menu system have put me off, and I'm not so keen on how the photos look, and the EOS-R hasn't got as strong an overall score in terms of DXO sensor rating as the D750 with not as good low light performance. Finally the Z6 hasn't got the benifits of Eye AF without switching modes, it would have been nice to switch between using single spot AF and face/eye detect with the press of a button or have both on the same mode. Also single card slot would worry me for Weddings. Perhaps now isn't the time to switch entirely to mirrorless. Also contimplated having a go with the Fujifilm X-H1 with its solid build and fancy shutter mech. Although I do like the qualities of a full frame camera coming from the D500. Dilemmas!! Perhaps just another D500, D750 or a D810, but it would be nice to have some of the latest mirrorless features

Last edited:
I've been thinking about entering the mirrorless world. A toss up between the Sony A7iii, the Nikon Z6 and the Canon EOS-R. It's a hard decision, particularly when coming from a camera I love so much the D750. So far the Sony A7iii's ergonomics and menu system have put me off, and I'm not so keen on how the photos look, and the EOS-R hasn't got as strong an overall score in terms of DXO sensor rating as the D750 with not as good low light performance. Finally the Z6 hasn't got the benifits of Eye AF without switching modes, it would have been nice to switch between using single spot AF and face/eye detect with the press of a button or have both on the same mode. Also single card slot would worry me for Weddings. Perhaps now isn't the time to switch entirely to mirrorless. Also contimplated having a go with the Fujifilm X-H1 with its solid build and fancy shutter mech. Although I do like the qualities of a full frame camera coming from the D500. Dilemmas!! Perhaps just another D500, D750 or a D810, but it would be nice to have some of the latest mirrorless features

Has your circumstances changed then?

In other threads recently you posted saying you have been wanting to change to an A7III but while you had the budget for a body , you had no budget for lenses.

I've been thinking about entering the mirrorless world. A toss up between the Sony A7iii, the Nikon Z6 and the Canon EOS-R. It's a hard decision, particularly when coming from a camera I love so much b- the D750. So far the Sony A7iii's ergonomics and menu system have put me off, and the EOS-R hasn't got as strong an overall score in terms of DXO sensor rating as the D750 with poorer low light performance. Finally the Z6 hasn't got the benifits of Eye AF without switching modes, it would have been nice to switch between using single spot AF and face/eye detect with the press of a button. Also single card slot would worry me for Weddings. Perhaps now isn't the time to switch entirely to mirrorless. Also contimplated having a go with the Fujifilm X-H1 with its solid build and fancy shutter mech. Dilemmas!! Perhaps just another D750 or a D810, but it would be nice to have some of the latest mirrorless features
TBH switching to eye AF on the Nikon is no different from switching between single point and say dynamic area, but yes it’s a different mode. I like that you can use a button with the Sony to access eye AF BUT I think they should give the option to toggle on/off rather than pressing and holding the button.

Canon is a nice camera but native lenses are Uber expensive. Ergonomics on the gen 4 A7 and A9-2 are much better imo but still not as good as Nikon.

For me the Z’s aren’t quite there for pro work yet. It’s not that they can’t do it, but there’s better options in terms of performance at the mo.

Has anybody come from using a D750 to using a Z6 / Z7 and felt happy about the change in all aspects? Certainly the Z6 with the kit lens look to give fantastic results. How does the old 24-70 f2.8 perform on the Z6 with the adapter? As good as it does on the D750?

Has your circumstances changed then?

In other threads recently you posted saying you have been wanting to change to an A7III but while you had the budget for a body , you had no budget for lenses.
Yes, a bit more money now and still on one body I'm keen to get a second one over Christmas. My previous purchase of a second D750 didn't work out with it having to go back. Currently out in Africa with GAS

TBH switching to eye AF on the Nikon is no different from switching between single point and say dynamic area, but yes it’s a different mode. I like that you can use a button with the Sony to access eye AF BUT I think they should give the option to toggle on/off rather than pressing and holding the button.

Canon is a nice camera but native lenses are Uber expensive. Ergonomics on the gen 4 A7 and A9-2 are much better imo but still not as good as Nikon.

For me the Z’s aren’t quite there for pro work yet. It’s not that they can’t do it, but there’s better options in terms of performance at the mo.

You don't have to press a separate button, you can just half press the shutter button.

You don't have to press a separate button, you can just half press the shutter button.

Or if you got pre af turned on it will start for you

Yes, a bit more money now and still on one body I'm keen to get a second one over Christmas. My previous purchase of a second D750 didn't work out with it having to go back. Currently out in Africa with GAS

You have already been taking huge risks with your clients images by shooting weddings with one body with no back up available do you really want to continue in this vein by using a body with one card slot?

In this day and age there is no excuse for being so unprofessional.

With the D750 I tend to stay on single point rarely using other AF settings. I find it the most reliable for getting dependable focus acquisution - auto modes are too wishy washy with focus spots all over the place. My thoughts are for spontaneous situations when you don't get time to get the spot where you want it, it would be good to switch over to Eye AF / Face Detect to catch these moments. Not sure if with the Z6 this is possible and practical? Failing that, are there faster options with regards moving the spot around since there is a more option as to where you place it?

Last edited:
I thought it would only do it automatically on half press if you are in wide tracking and if you’re in say flexible spot and wanted to track with eye AF you have to press and hold the assigned eye AF button? At least that’s what was said on the Sony thread. This is how it was on the A7RIV and A9 when I tried them on Monday.

Last edited:
You have already been taking huge risks with your clients images by shooting weddings with one body with no back up available do you really want to continue in this vein by using a body with one card slot?

In this day and age there is no excuse for being so unprofessional.
So I guess it's Sony or Fuji if I want to go mirrorless. Exactly why I need a second body now, I agree

I thought it would only do it automatically on half press if you are in wife tracking and if you’re in say flexible spot and wanted to track with eye AF you have to press and hold the assigned eye AF button? At least that’s what was said on the Sony thread. This is how it was on the A7RIV and A9 when I tried them on Monday.

Nope. If for example you are in flexible spot just move the focus point near the eye then on half press it will activate eye a.f.

Last edited:
With the D750 I tend to stay on single point rarely using other AF settings. I find it the most reliable for getting focus acquisution. My thoughts are for spontaneous situations when you don't get time to get the spot where you want it, it would be good to switch over to Eye AF / Face Detect to catch these moments. Not sure if with the Z6 this is possible and practical? Failing that, are there faster options with regards moving the spot around since there is a more option as to where you place it?
I use single point AF 99% of the time too, and no there’s no button to switch to eye AF you have to change focus mode. I’m hoping Nikon will fix that, and also how you access the tracking mode, they’ve really fudged that one. TBH I think they’ll add 3D tracking from their other bodies at some point, there’s been enough people crying out for it for them to take notice I think.

Would you care to expand? If it always tracks eyes with half press of the shutter without pressing another button or being in tracking wide how do you get it to not track eyes if you’re taking a photo of something else and there happens to be a person in the scene?

I use single point AF 99% of the time too, and no there’s no button to switch to eye AF you have to change focus mode. I’m hoping Nikon will fix that, and also how you access the tracking mode, they’ve really fudged that one. TBH I think they’ll add 3D tracking from their other bodies at some point, there’s been enough people crying out for it for them to take notice I think.
Maybe I just need to go cheap and get a 2nd D750 for now and wait until Nikon release a dual slot 'better cooked' mirrorless option.

Would you care to expand? If it always tracks eyes with half press of the shutter without pressing another button or being in tracking wide how do you get it to not track eyes if you’re taking a photo of something else and there happens to be a person in the scene?

It only activates eye a.f on half press in flexible spot when you put the focus point near the eye then half press.

It only activates eye a.f on half press in flexible spot when you put the focus point near the eye then half press.
Ahh I see. Yes I got that when I tried it too but as soon as you move the flexible spot away it stops tracking the eye so that’s not a true eye tracking imo. I’m assuming when people press and hold a button they’re actually activating tracking wide so that it follows the eyes wherever they are in the frame?

Ahh I see. Yes I got that when I tried it too but as soon as you move the flexible spot away it stops tracking the eye so that’s not a true eye tracking imo. I’m assuming when people press and hold a button they’re actually activating tracking wide so that it follows the eyes wherever they are in the frame?

Yeah, pretty much. Otherwise you would not be able to take a photo of anything else if an eye was in the frame. It will stay on the eye though if you move the camera rather than the focus point as you would expect.

Last edited:
Yeah, pretty much. Otherwise you would not be able to take a photo of anything else if an eye was in the frame. It will stay on the eye though if you move the camera rathe rthan the focus point.
Thanks, finally someone’s explained it properly to me (or at least in a way I understand ;))

How about if you don't move the flexible spot close to the eye and half press? It's it possible to get it to find any eye (the closest one) anywhere on the frame on half press, and does overriding it by moving the flexible spot work in the same way?

How about if you don't move the flexible spot close to the eye and half press? It's it possible to get it to find any eye (the closest one) anywhere on the frame on half press, and does overriding it by moving the flexible spot work in the same way?
When I used it it only picked up the eye if you focused on the person, otherwise it focused to whatever was under the AF point. To get it to find the eye anywhere in the frame you have to change the focus mode to wide tracking, but from what I’ve just gathered you can assign this to a button for quick access.

Not in flexible spot, it will only do that if you use a dedicated button on the camera or lens mapped to eye a.f. Which works well actually, I prefer it to using half press.

If you are using the wide focus mode and half press it will find the eye anywhere in the frame and track it on half press of the shutter button

Has anybody come from using a D750 to using a Z6 / Z7 and felt happy about the change in all aspects? Certainly the Z6 with the kit lens look to give fantastic results. How does the old 24-70 f2.8 perform on the Z6 with the adapter? As good as it does on the D750?

I came from the D750 and now use a Z6....couldn't be happier. I always had nagging issues with the D750 and AF fine tune...but no problems now. Even for tracking, I find the Z6 a vast improvement over the D750...I know that's not been a case for many, but I have a feeling people would like the camera to do too much itself. I've posted tracking samples in this forum before, if you care to look.

But bottom line is....the Z6 made all my F mount lenses perform better (AF being very accurate, IBIS for non VR lenses,...)

It’s difficult to make a direct comparison as I went D750 > D850 > Z7 but my opinion is that the Z7 is a match in AF in average and good light, but in low light, especially artificial low light I find the Z7 struggles more. Overall I trusted the D750 and D850 more, I just knew they’d focus without trouble whereas there’s a niggle of ‘worry’ with the Z7.

Now all that being said I prefer using the Z7, I like mirrorless ‘function’ in that it switches from EVF to live view automatically and live view AF works just as well as EVF. Ergonomics are great, build quality is great and image quality is great. The only things I wished it had compared to Nikon DSLRs is a dedicated AF mode button, dual card slots and D850 or better AF performance.

Adapted lenses work very well, pretty much as good as they do on the F-mount bodies, maybe a fraction of a millisecond difference

I moved from a D750 to the Z6. The Z6 autofocus isn't as predictable, and for me I do find sometimes it's missed focus, however having played with the AF settings for video it has got better in stills. Also when it does get focus, it's much more accurate than the D750 due to not needing the micro adjustments.

In every other way, the Z6 is better for me. The EVF is superb and being able to see roughly what you're getting before hitting the shutter is wonderful. Get it with the 'kit' lens if you get one. It's better than the old f2.8 in my opinion. But all f-mount AF-S lenses work superbly on the FTZ.

Back