Nikon Z* mirrorless

With smartphones cameras now so good, giving aperture and speed control why would you buy a camera?
That said I’ve just ordered the Z50
They don’t really offer aperture control though, the sensors too small, it’s not like you can blow out he background, it’s either 100%depth of field or 98% depth of field.

Unless your talking about computational photography which (whilst not limited to smartphones) yes eventually and sooner than we’d like will kill off traditional photography.

Well it does have a Sony sensor so it partly Sony lol

With smartphones cameras now so good, giving aperture and speed control why would you buy a camera?
That said I’ve just ordered the Z50

I keep seeing people praising smartphone pictures and my Mrs and her friends snap away with them but I just don't like taking pictures with them. I don't like holding them at half arms length in front of my face and I don't like jabbing at them with my fingers. Pictures can look very very nice on phone and tablet screens but when I look at them closely on my pc they're not so impressive. and in fact often if not actually awful then not very good with movement blur and smudged details. I much prefer just about any camera :D

I keep seeing people praising smartphone pictures and my Mrs and her friends snap away with them but I just don't like taking pictures with them. I don't like holding them at half arms length in front of my face and I don't like jabbing at them with my fingers. Pictures can look very very nice on phone and tablet screens but when I look at them closely on my pc they're not so impressive. and in fact often if not actually awful then not very good with movement blur and smudged details. I much prefer just about any camera :D
:plus1:

I agree, although for most folk they’re fine. I moan about the phone IQ to my wife and she says something like “who cares, it’s a lovely photo”.

I agree, although for most folk they’re fine. I moan about the phone IQ to my wife and she says something like “who cares, it’s a lovely photo”.

They just don’t understand lol

And in the end that’s all that matters! Only us photographers pixel peep and find fault. I bet there’s not a bride in the land who would complain if an eyelash was out of focus. She’d only be bothered about if her bum looked big in her £1000 wedding dress...

When my kids were toddlers it was manual focus with a Nikon FM. If the brats dared move they’d get a clip round the ear. (Only joking. Ish.)

actually, that's rather good idea with a couple of grandchildren I could think of.....

Last edited:
Anyone seen any deals on the 50mm f1.8 lens?
I picked mine up from Grays, it was £315 but then had a £20 discount code that they posted on Youtube so ended up £295 with free delivery, not sure if the code is still working and I can’t remember what it was tbh. I think it was youtube20 but not sure.

Last edited:
Says no longer available on Harrisons in the small print so I assume it's been sold over the weekend. Cheapest i can find is £349 from Greys, Harrison's and Amazon at the moment.

Last edited:
Says no longer available on Harrisons in the small print so I assume it's been sold over the weekend. Cheapest i can find is £349 from Greys, Harrison's and Amazon at the moment.

Thats a pity they did have 2 last week

Grays and Clifton are showing as £329, but not sure if there’s any voucher codes. Might be worth calling them to ask if there’s any discount?

Grays and Clifton are showing as £329, but not sure if there’s any voucher codes. Might be worth calling them to ask if there’s any discount?
It’s a cracking lens and superb vfm at that price.

I haven't looked at Clifton, Greys are showing a lead time of 1 to 2 weeks so it maybe worth me giving them a call.

We have been to look at a puppy today after losing our 3 due to old age. We have had a gap year of 2 years so thought it to have another companion in our lifes. Hence the reason for requiring a fast prime lens.

I haven't looked at Clifton, Greys are showing a lead time of 1 to 2 weeks so it maybe worth me giving them a call.

We have been to look at a puppy today after losing our 3 due to old age. We have had a gap year of 2 years so thought it to have another companion in our lifes. Hence the reason for requiring a fast prime lens.

Nahh you need a sony for that :LOL: Only joking mate as @snerkler been thinking of it for his pup...

It a amazing lens it very sharp indeed.. Just you will have to learn how to keep the puppy in focus with the Z which ever you get if you want to catch it running.. But stills it a brilliant camera,,,

Looks like quite a few are out of stock of the 50mm prob why the 2 uses one from harrsions gone in a space of 2 days

Not the right thread I know (never stopped me before ;)) but I’ve just read the preliminary specs on nikonrumors for the upcoming D6 and apparently it will have IBIS, would this be the first DSLR with such a feature? (Not including the Sony DSLTs). I hope they make it so that you can turn lens VR off (to just use IBIS) or so that VR is only active on shutter half press and not active all the time like the Z’s.

Predictions are for a better AF system and better DR too, should be a beast (y)

Not the right thread I know (never stopped me before ;)) but I’ve just read the preliminary specs on nikonrumors for the upcoming D6 and apparently it will have IBIS, would this be the first DSLR with such a feature? (Not including the Sony DSLTs). I hope they make it so that you can turn lens VR off (to just use IBIS) or so that VR is only active on shutter half press and not active all the time like the Z’s.

You better get saving won’t miss a puppy shot with that ;)

Last edited:

Pentax have had IBIS for years as did Minolta.

anyone using Z50 yet? If so what are your thoughts? I am toying with idea of either a Z50 or Z6. Obviously Z6 will involve purchase of new cards. Main thing I am after is how is the quality of higher iso images (mainly in the ranges of 1600 to 6400)

I too would like any views.
Not sure i want to afford the z6 or the cards that go with it (!) or that it would be overload for what I do.
Some recent YouTube videos (last 2 weeks) seem very complimentary.
Having had a variety of Nikon DX cameras i feel comfortable with that range and not sure that FF would add anything to my photography.
Accepting that Nikon have not really served the DX range very well with dedicated lenses.

Anyone heard any news as to when the Z’s will get CFexpress compatibility? Cards have been available for several weeks now but still no news, not that I’ll be buying any anytime soon. £175 for 64GB :eek:

Anyone heard any news as to when the Z’s will get CFexpress compatibility? Cards have been available for several weeks now but still no news, not that I’ll be buying any anytime soon. £175 for 64GB :eek:

Ouch! Thought they were meant to be cheaper than the XQD cards!!

Would have thought if someone was going to they would have done it by now.

Come on Nikon, I want a mirrorless D500.
Yeah I think so too, I don’t think enough have adopted it to warrant it.

Come on Nikon, I want a mirrorless D500.
I think they’ll bring out a FF sports cam first, but hopefully they’ll wait to get it right as they need to nail it, D5/A9 performance or better imo.

Being as my world revolves around my puppy at the moment I'm not getting the chance to go out to photograph anything else so you're going to have to put up with more puppy pics I'm afraid ;)

NZ7_3584-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

NZ7_3608-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

NZ7_3620-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Last edited:
I too would like any views.
Not sure i want to afford the z6 or the cards that go with it (!) or that it would be overload for what I do.
Some recent YouTube videos (last 2 weeks) seem very complimentary.
Having had a variety of Nikon DX cameras i feel comfortable with that range and not sure that FF would add anything to my photography.
Accepting that Nikon have not really served the DX range very well with dedicated lenses.

I bit the bullet and ordered a Z50 last week (just have to wait for stock to come in before I receive it). For me I own a DX camera presently so lenses should work with this. Also I couldn't justify the extra cost for the XQD cards when I have so many SD cards already. And for a hobby photographer do I really need FF?

They don’t really offer aperture control though, the sensors too small, it’s not like you can blow out he background, it’s either 100%depth of field or 98% depth of field.

Unless your talking about computational photography which (whilst not limited to smartphones) yes eventually and sooner than we’d like will kill off traditional photography.

on iPhone 10, I can change aperture. It's quick, it's convenient to use phones and for most of the general public that will do. for anyone else who appreciates quality a proper camera is needed.

Back