Nikon Z* mirrorless

Isn't that a bit simplistic though Alan. Unlike Sony, Nikon (and Canon) also have a full and current range of traditional DSLRs and FX and DX mount lenses which also had to be produced and supported alongside, and new units designed (e.g. 500mm PF, D6, D760 etc. etc.) so a company like Nikon obviously needed to be a little conservative about putting all their eggs in one basket. Afterall, if their mirrorless offerings fell flat on their face and all of their time and R&D money went into the mirrorless system and alienated their DSLR base it would pretty much be suicide. I'm guessing from a conservative company like Nikon, it was always going to be a gradual transition into mirrorless rather then all or nothing.

Also, don't forget that at the same time they were also designing a new lens mount for the system and completely new design of lenses to fit that. Furthermore, just copying what others have already done and picking pieces of technology already available and hoping for the best doesn't always guarantee success. It would always be the case that a Nikon MILC system would have to look and most importantly feel like a Nikon (not a Sony), just like the new Canon's feel like a Canon, to ease their current user base into this area.

I stand by what I said before I feel they have done a great job with the hardware for a first iteration.

Now if we are talking about Nikon as a great communicator or as a company that understands or knows what it's customer really want...well that's a different conversation :)
The post I was replying to said they'd done very well. I just don't see that. Yes the system makes sense if you already have Nikon lenses but that to me isn't doing very well, not with a wider than Nikon family only view sense.

The post I was replying to said they'd done very well. I just don't see that. Yes the system makes sense if you already have Nikon lenses but that to me isn't doing very well, not with a wider than Nikon family only view sense.
It makes no sense to me and I have a full compliment of F mount lenses. I’m done with adapted lenses. I played with all that on A mount/e mount.
I’m a firm believer if your switching to mirrorless your completely switching systems even if you go Nikon to Nikon.

I’m a firm believer if your switching to mirrorless your completely switching systems even if you go Nikon to Nikon.

Couldn't agree more.
Adapting is fun but that's all it is i.e. a bit of fun. In the end you'll want native set-up without the faff with adapters.

Interesting comments from Mark & Nand.
I’m pondering getting a Techart TZ-01 and a Sony 35mm 2.8 and having a try at street.
any thoughts or comments?

It makes no sense to me and I have a full compliment of F mount lenses. I’m done with adapted lenses. I played with all that on A mount/e mount.
Hmmm. Maybe. But are you assuming autofocus? I have no such lenses, but have been using mf lenses on dslr bodies (native fit). And I enjoy the lenses I've got. So what's wrong with having a mirrorless body to use them with?

I agree, but whilst they’re getting the new lenses designed and made it’s nice to have a full complement of fully functioning lenses.

Hmmm. Maybe. But are you assuming autofocus? I have no such lenses, but have been using mf lenses on dslr bodies (native fit). And I enjoy the lenses I've got. So what's wrong with having a mirrorless body to use them with?
Nothing at all and yes I’m assuming af. I only have af lenses. I have adapted manual focus lenses onto e mount and again it was fun but for me at least that’s all it was.

I agree, but whilst they’re getting the new lenses designed and made it’s nice to have a full complement of fully functioning lenses.
It’s difficult to take that approach when Sony already have that full compliment of lenses. Nothing on the current z road map excites me enough to want to wait. As good as the lenses are and I do accept they are clinically excellent, they do lack in character and it does seem disappointing to accept 1.8 when your rocking 1.4’s.
Looking at some Z images the other day they were all very sharp very ‘sanitised’ and then one Z7 image really stood out with gorgeous character and upon checking the lens it was an adapted 105 1.4! Doh!

Last edited:
It’s difficult to take that approach when Sony already have that full compliment of lenses. Nothing on the current z road map excites me enough to want to wait. As good as the lenses are and I do accept they are clinically excellent, they do lack in character and it does seem disappointing to accept 1.8 when your rocking 1.4’s.
Looking at some Z images the other day they were all very sharp very ‘sanitised’ and then one Z7 image really stood out with gorgeous character and upon checking the lens it was an adapted 105 1.4! Doh!
You can’t expect a full compliment of lenses on release, Sony were no different in that regard. Where Canikon have improved on Sony is having a fully working back catalogue of lenses. IIRC Sony a-mount didn’t work well with e-mount initially.
IMO you can’t compare a 6 year old system with a one year old system.

You can’t expect a full compliment of lenses on release, Sony were no different in that regard. Where Canikon have improved on Sony is having a fully working back catalogue of lenses. IIRC Sony a-mount didn’t work well with e-mount initially.
IMO you can’t compare a 6 year old system with a one year old system.
No your right you can’t but if both are on offer to you at the same time...

No your right you can’t but if both are on offer to you at the same time...
Yeah, if starting from scratch and looking purely at the system Sony is well ahead, that’s why people have ‘complained’ about how slow Canikon were to the market.

Interesting comments from Mark & Nand.
I’m pondering getting a Techart TZ-01 and a Sony 35mm 2.8 and having a try at street.
any thoughts or comments?

I have a Techart adaptor if you want to try it out. Happy to lend it to you if you want to see how it works.The adaptor works pretty well but is just not consistent enough. I used with a Sony 85mm f1.8 and it worked ok. When using the adaptor it all felt a little slow though I guess to be expected.

That’s a very kind offer Trev.
i don’t have a Sony lens as yet. Also, I live at a different end of the country to you.
Did the IBIS work with the Sony lens?

IBIS seems to work from reports I have seen/read.

I know a few people who shoot mostly with manual loxia and/or voigtlander lenses on e-mount. This adapter is mainly a benefit for them. They simply change bodies should one or the other manufacture offer better bodies. I know someone who owns both a Z7 and an A7RIV now with loxia 21, CV40/1.2, loxia 85 and CV110 macro.

That’s a very kind offer Trev.
i don’t have a Sony lens as yet. Also, I live at a different end of the country to you.
Did the IBIS work with the Sony lens?

My understanding is the Z6 IBIS continues to work... I didn't take many photos to be honest.

The adaptor is very thin so more than happy post over you. I used have a docking station for updating firmware on Samyang lenses that I used to lend people. I just asked them to pay the equivalent postage to a charity they liked and send it back to me when finished. So should you get hold of a Sony lens then by all means give me a shout.

Last edited:
Has anyone done the latest update yet and can confirm whether camera/user settings are saved or wiped please?

Mine were just fine when I upgraded my Z6 and Z7 to firmware 2.2

Merry Christmas fellow Z guys and gals :nikon:

anyone using the z6 or z7 with adapter for non z lens
how do you find focus and image quality ?

I’ve used the AF-S 70-200mm f2.8 VRII, AF-S 50mm f1.8g and AF-S 85mm f1.8g on the Z7 and all focus great, IQ is as good as with the D850 imo.

Hope you all had a great Christmas :). This time of year is pretty much the only time I mess about with off camera flash, and can confirm that my Cactus V6 trigger and Cactus RF60 speedlight work perfectly with my Z6 :).

Cheers,

Simon.

Use the 20mm f1.8 and 70-300 P with no noticeable difference in focus (though I don’t need or notice particularly speedy focus) and the IQ is excellent.

Use the 20mm f1.8 and 70-300 P with no noticeable difference in focus (though I don’t need or notice particularly speedy focus) and the IQ is excellent.
+1 for the 70-300 P. Seems to work a treat on the odd occasion I use it. As Stephen says IQ is very good indeed.

Last edited:
my initial impressions with the new firmware, so far tried only with the 70-300P, is a bit of an improvement with single point and eye AF Happy to re-endorse the lens quality -- for those who only know previous versions of the 70-300 for F mount, this is clearly better, especially in edge performance.

WB is a matter of taste to a large extent. I’m happy with the WB shown there (as seen on my iPad).
Very true, for me there’s too much magenta making the colours look a touch unnatural but as you say YMMV (y)

Thanks for all the comments...in regards to WB....the area was very patchy when it came to light...the shady areas were very dark and some of the areas had intense sun...to top it off the grass was still a bit frozen and had sunlight reflecting off of it. I also did some post, though I didn't touch WB, maybe I should have :)

The 50mm turned up just prior to picking up the new pup last sunday, first go with the new z lens and the new pup (Marley) and what a cracker they both are. Cant wait until he is a little older so I can take him out on some landscape shots nearby.

Z6S_3348.JPGZ6S_3276.JPG

The 50mm turned up just prior to picking up the new pup last sunday, first go with the new z lens and the new pup (Marley) and what a cracker they both are. Cant wait until he is a little older so I can take him out on some landscape shots nearby.

View attachment 264170View attachment 264171

Lovely shots. My 50mm Z has been on back order with SRS Microsystems since Black Friday, with no word yet on when they're getting stock in :-(. Just as well I got it for a very good price......

Cheers,

Simon.

Nikon Rumors just posted a comparison between the 85mm f1.8g and 85mm 1.8 S, looking at the two side by side examples of the girl I think I prefer the rendering of the G :eek: They've massively over sharpened the S in the first example though.

https://nikonrumors.com/2019/12/28/...f-1-8-s-lenses-compared-on-the-nikon-z7.aspx/
The 85 1.8G when it wants to hit critical focus is an excellent lens. In fact at the price point it sells for it’s difficult not to buy one as an F mount shooter.

The 85 1.8G when it wants to hit critical focus is an excellent lens. In fact at the price point it sells for it’s difficult not to buy one as an F mount shooter.
Or Z mount. I find mine performs just as fast in AF but hits critical focus better (y)

Back