Nikon Z* mirrorless

I'm fully aware of my crime but hope you have also had some pleasure out of the beast :cautious:

I'm eagerly awaiting tests on the new 70-200. If it's as good as the specs suggest I will most likely replace my trusty 70-200 VR2, once the grey import price comes down a bit :)

Meanwhile, another one with my old 70-200. I processed the eyes and dark patches of fur to bring out the features I wanted :)

Devil's eyes by luftwalk, on Flickr

I'm eagerly awaiting tests on the new 70-200. If it's as good as the specs suggest I will most likely replace my trusty 70-200 VR2, once the grey import price comes down a bit :)

Meanwhile, another one with my old 70-200. I processed the eyes and dark patches of fur to bring out the features I wanted :)

Devil's eyes by luftwalk, on Flickr
Cracking pic. I’m thinking the same with the 70-200mm, assuming I don’t change systems ;)

Thinking of going to Sony? I'll definitely stay at least until the 2nd gen of Zs come out...the Sony strikes me as too much of a soulless system...can't really explain it tbh.

Thinking of going to Sony? I'll definitely stay at least until the 2nd gen of Zs come out...the Sony strikes me as too much of a soulless system...can't really explain it tbh.
If Nikon get the AF system up to scratch I'll definitely be staying with Nikon, if not I'll then have to make a decision. I'm not rushing anything (y) I agree about the soulless thing with Sony though, technical marvels but just lacking something. TBH I felt the same way about the D850.

Last edited:
I think with all mirrorless systems, Z’s included, the lenses offer clinical sharpness but lack the character soul of some great F mount lenses like the 105 1.4 or 58 1.4.

I think with all mirrorless systems, Z’s included, the lenses offer clinical sharpness but lack the character soul of some great F mount lenses like the 105 1.4 or 58 1.4.
TBH I really like the 50mm f1.8S, I think that has nice rendering.

200-600mm Z-mount announced, Ok now I could be interested, I doubt it'll be 5.6 at 600 but even so it could help slow the exodus to Sony.

https://nikonrumors.com/2020/01/08/...s-available-now-12-more-to-come-by-2021.aspx/
Probably f6.3 like the Sony. I’m more interested in the 100-400mm, if Nikon bring out a 61mp camera then I could combine the 100-400mm with this and I could use it instead of the EM1-II and 100-400mm. The 100-400mm on a 61mp cropped to 800mm would still give me 15mp.

Heck, even on your current Z7 it would still give you nearly 12mp, and that's without having to invest in a new body.

If the 200-600 is a cracker though (like the F mount 200-500), and much cheaper to boot, then cropped for the same 800mm FOV on the existing Z7 it would give you over 25mp

Last edited:
Heck, even on your current Z7 it would still give you nearly 12mp, and that's without having to invest in a new body.

If the 200-600 is a cracker though (like the F mount 200-500), and much cheaper to boot, then cropped for the same 800mm FOV on the existing Z7 it would give you over 25mp
It would give 12mp but that would mean IQ would be down on what I currently have. The 200-600mm will be too heavy, that’s why I swapped the Tamron 150-600mm for the Panny 100-400mm.

Probably f6.3 like the Sony. I’m more interested in the 100-400mm, if Nikon bring out a 61mp camera then I could combine the 100-400mm with this and I could use it instead of the EM1-II and 100-400mm. The 100-400mm on a 61mp cropped to 800mm would still give me 15mp.

You know you can do that today instead of waiting 1-2 years. Not to mention it'll actually be cheaper to do it with the option available now than waiting for brand new gear on the market plus depreciation in your current gear.

although I suspect the 70-200 f2.8 S will redefine this classic category, I'm a bit disappointed that there's no f4 version in the pipeline. Would seem like the obvious compromise between the 70-300 AF-P and the f2.8 beast -- not that I'm in any way unhappy with the AF-P lens, esp. for the price.

I can. For you it maybe lacks the right badge.

The engineer part of me things that anyone using phrases like "too much of a soulless system...can't really explain it tbh" isn't trying hard enough or is too far away from the objectivity I strive for and perhaps drawn too much by marketing and even fanboyism. Sorry, but phrases like this make me cringe.

Last edited:
I have a Sony A6300. It stopped working a few weeks back with this message "Camera error. Turn Camera off then on". Googling this message brings up the fault on most of their cameras going back 6 years. It is a common fault & is probably going to cost me £200-00, more or less wiping out any secondhand value on what was a £1000-00 camera. So beware buying a Sony. This is why I am looking at other makes & having had a Nikon in the past I was thinking of the Z6.

The engineer part of me things that anyone using phrases like "too much of a soulless system...can't really explain it tbh" isn't trying hard enough or is too far away from the objectivity I strive for and perhaps drawn too much by marketing and even fanboyism. Sorry, but phrases like this make me cringe.
Objectively (and I freely admit I am only speaking from my limited experience of earlier models, so things have probably changed) I disliked the shape of the chassis (edges not sufficiently rounded), the positioning of some controls (for my hands), and the sponginess of the said controls. As I say, that's just my view of an earlier iteration. As far as image quality goes, I don't think they are much different for the type of images I shoot if processed according to their own structure.

I have a Sony A6300. It stopped working a few weeks back with this message "Camera error. Turn Camera off then on". Googling this message brings up the fault on most of their cameras going back 6 years. It is a common fault & is probably going to cost me £200-00, more or less wiping out any secondhand value on what was a £1000-00 camera. So beware buying a Sony. This is why I am looking at other makes & having had a Nikon in the past I was thinking of the Z6.

Any camera and lenses from any brand can have issues. Nikon, Fuji and others have had their fair share.
What actually matters is how good the manufacturer is at after sales support which is amazingly good with canon, Fuji and sigma. Was not so good on both Sony and Nikon.

I appreciate the input, but I'm an engineer myself and have no issues with switching tools/brands if I find one that works better for me. I did it when I switched from Pentax to Nikon a couple of years ago and I had a lot more lenses in PK mount than I do now for Nikon. I tried the A9, the A7R4 and the A73...I agree that there are functions they have that Nikon don't, but my main issue with them was I felt no joy using them. I enjoy picking up my Z6 and going shooting with it...whereas shooting with the Sony didn't do that to me. I think it's better using something you enjoy, even if it's not technically the best tool? Call it what you want, even fanboyism if it makes you happy, I just know the Nikon works for me in areas the Sony didn't. Fair enough?

Well to be fair, camera error is a very generic message. It could apply to many different things and not the same component failure over a 6 year cycle, its incredibly unlikely because Sony changes the parts and design of their cameras fairly frequently. If you look at Nikons track record with recalls and consistent fails on models you wouldnt be any more confident.

Any camera and lenses from any brand can have issues. Nikon, Fuji and others have had their fair share.
What actually matters is how good the manufacturer is at after sales support which is amazingly good with canon, Fuji and sigma. Was not so good on both Sony and Nikon.
Thanks. I accept any camera can have a fault, but I am less than happy with the Sony response. I liked my previous Nikon & Canon cameras, but at one to two thousand pounds for a new camera, I would want good support. If Fuji or Canon look after their customers, then that may be the way forward for me.

Thanks. I accept any camera can have a fault, but I am less than happy with the Sony response. I liked my previous Nikon & Canon cameras, but at one to two thousand pounds for a new camera, I would want good support. If Fuji or Canon look after their customers, then that may be the way forward for me.

You can purchase 3 year extended warranty through Sony, some dealers will throw it in free.

Every brand can have issues, look at the many many recalls there was for the Nikon D750, the focus issue with the D800, the hot spot issue with the D810 and the oil splatter issue with the D600 for example or even the issues with the grip peeling away on the Z's.

I have dealt with the ordinary Sony support a few times and found them to be very good certainly better than the experience I had with Nikon. Sony's pro support has been excellent any time I have contacted them, Nikon's N.P.U and N.P.S I found was very poor.

Last edited:
You can purchase 3 year extended warranty through Sony, some dealers will throw it in free.
I have already made my mind up to get an extended warranty next time, whether a camera manufacturer or third party. I'm so damned anoyed at the thought of getting only £200-00 from a £1000-00 camera after 3 years use, allowing for some depreciation (I accept) & unnesseccery repair cost.

You know you can do that today instead of waiting 1-2 years. Not to mention it'll actually be cheaper to do it with the option available now than waiting for brand new gear on the market plus depreciation in your current gear.
And get a camera that I'm not 100% happy using ;)
Sorry, but phrases like this make me cringe.
:eek:

I have already made my mind up to get an extended warranty next time, whether a camera manufacturer or third party. I'm so damned anoyed at the thought of getting only £200-00 from a £1000-00 camera after 3 years use, allowing for some depreciation (I accept) & unnesseccery repair cost.

Did you try fixation? Could be a lot less than you think, it will cost you about £10 to get it to them and they provide free estimates.

Did you try fixation? Could be a lot less than you think, it will cost you about £10 to get it to them and they provide free estimates.
I did contact them thanks. They were polite, & of course need to see the camera to give a definite quote, but at first thoughts with labour & repair it could be around £200-00. If they don't do it, they send the camera back for £12-00, or I can arrange it's return, so all in all, it may be the way to go.

I did contact them thanks. They were polite, & of course need to see the camera to give a definite quote, but at first thoughts with labour & repair it could be around £200-00. If they don't do it, they send the camera back for £12-00, or I can arrange it's return, so all in all, it may be the way to go.

Seems reasonable, they are a very well regarded company. Good luck.

Back