Nikon Z* mirrorless

From what you are describing you'd be much happier with that camera than all your current cameras put together.
But I could wait for a camera that I’d be happier with (y) I’m in no rush to chop and change :)

Question Guys,

With people saying that the z6 autofocus isn’t quite up to that of the Sony a73, would the z6 focusing be okay for Macro Work. I want to purchase the r1c1 that’s in the classifieds but would need a Nikon body and lens to use it with... was thinking either The z6 or D500.

But I could wait for a camera that I’d be happier with (y) I’m in no rush to chop and change :)

You could always swap to it if such a camera comes into existence. In the meantime you can enjoy using what you really want now.

You could always swap to it if such a camera comes into existence. In the meantime you can enjoy using what you really want now.
Which would cost quite a bit then cost quite a bit again. There’s not much wrong with what I have now, not enough to make me want to swap to something that’s not quite what I want for a lot of money (y)

Question Guys,

With people saying that the z6 autofocus isn’t quite up to that of the Sony a73, would the z6 focusing be okay for Macro Work. I want to purchase the r1c1 that’s in the classifieds but would need a Nikon body and lens to use it with... was thinking either The z6 or D500.
Tbh you’d normally use manual focus for macro so AF speed isn’t really an issue imo.

Question Guys,

either would be fine.
most macro work is MF anyway.
Just check z6 works with r1c1 and su800.
it seems to me those moaning about auto focusing v. sony are referring to the speed.
pinpoint AF is the most accurate on the Z’s but a little slower.
D500 is lightning fast to AF.

either would be fine.
most macro work is MF anyway.
Just check z6 works with r1c1 and su800.
it seems to me those moaning about auto focusing v. sony are referring to the speed.
pinpoint AF is the most accurate on the Z’s but a little slower.
D500 is lightning fast to AF.

pinpoint AF is equally accurate on all systems that use the hybrid system, whether that's nikon or sony or fuji or olympus. And most accurate would be pure CDAF like panasonic.

The Z6 takes XQD cards. Can any other be used? Does it come with an XQD card? Where is the cheapest place to buy XQD cards?

The Z6 takes XQD cards. Can any other be used? Does it come with an XQD card? Where is the cheapest place to buy XQD cards?
Nikon themselves don’t supply any memory card. The cheapest I found was E-Infinity. CF Express is an alternative under the latest firmware, but the cards are scarce at the moment and probably more expensive.

pinpoint AF is equally accurate on all systems that use the hybrid system, whether that's nikon or sony or fuji or olympus. And most accurate would be pure CDAF like panasonic.
Nikon's pinpoint is CDAF only too (y)
Nikon themselves don’t supply any memory card. The cheapest I found was E-Infinity. CF Express is an alternative under the latest firmware, but the cards are scarce at the moment and probably more expensive.
CFexpress are crazy expensive as they're all super fast. Also I think the Z's are only compatible with Sony CFExpress at present officially, although some folk have tried others and got them to work (some brand I've never heard of).

I was pretty sure it worked like Sony/Fuji etc where the last confirmation is CDAF but the initial hunting was PDAF i.e. a hybrid.
Nope, pinpoint CDAF all others hybrid (y)

I was pretty sure it worked like Sony/Fuji etc where the last confirmation is CDAF but the initial hunting was PDAF i.e. a hybrid.
Nope, pinpoint CDAF all others hybrid (y)
Forgot to say that info was direct from a Nikon technician when I was ‘talking’ to them (y)

Forgot to say that info was direct from a Nikon technician when I was ‘talking’ to them (y)

Juts dived into the menus, ok so pin-point AF is actually not the same as single point AF which is what I was confusing it. Says its slower but doesn't say why (could be as you mention because of CDAF)

Juts dived into the menus, ok so pin-point AF is actually not the same as single point AF which is what I was confusing it. Says its slower but doesn't say why (could be as you mention because of CDAF)
Yeah that’s exactly why (y)

Question Guys,

Depends on what you call macro,these are not with Nikon but its the closest i come to "macro" most of the time and i find AF invaluable.

P6120057.jpg

P6120073.jpg

Shots like this one i guess i don't need AF but i still use it

P7220141.jpg

I know there's a demand for ultra-narrow DoF lenses (there must be else they wouldn't make them) but I do wish that they would also make more "normal" lenses for us poor pensioners with a Jack Russell to support in disposable fluffy toys. :(:help:

I not sure there is, not as big a market as there is for a substantially cheaper 1.4. I wonder how many 1.2s Canon has sold.

I know there's a demand for ultra-narrow DoF lenses (there must be else they wouldn't make them) but I do wish that they would also make more "normal" lenses for us poor pensioners with a Jack Russell to support in disposable fluffy toys. :(:help:

I'm with you, although it's a Miniature Schnauzer with a tennis ball addiction for me :LOL:

In any event, the current f1.8 lenses suit me and what / how I shoot perfectly. Of course the requirements of others will vary.

Cheers,

Simon.

Last edited:
I not sure there is, not as big a market as there is for a substantially cheaper 1.4. I wonder how many 1.2s Canon has sold.
Maybe not in reality, but there seems to be a lot of "talk" in some forums, not necessarily this, of "needing" to make complete isolation of a microscopic part of a subject. It's almost as if it is a fashion. ;) For me, the f4 of the 2 mainstream zooms (14-30 and 24-70) is adequate. I always (usually) want to keep some affiliation between the subject and its background.

Maybe not in reality, but there seems to be a lot of "talk" in some forums, not necessarily this, of "needing" to make complete isolation of a microscopic part of a subject. It's almost as if it is a fashion. ;) For me, the f4 of the 2 mainstream zooms (14-30 and 24-70) is adequate. I always (usually) want to keep some affiliation between the subject and its background.

I like my shallow dof, I just think Nikon needs to consider the lenses and cameras they are developing a bit more if they want to stay afloat in a tricky camera market. They are making some odd choices lately.

Did you expect it to be tiny? No doubt it'll cost big also.
No, but I didn't expect it to be that big either. Look at the size of the Canon 50mm f1.2L, it's tiny in comparison. The Canon 50mm f1.2R is a bit of a beast too but it still looks quite a bit smaller than the Nikon version, from the pics at least. Bit odd that a number of mirrorless primes are considerably bigger than the DSLR counterpart. I know they're supposedly superior in terms of sharpness etc but the 'compact' nature of mirrorless was/is most beneficial with primes, but with these big daddies DSLR could actually work out smaller :eek:

No, but I didn't expect it to be that big either. Look at the size of the Canon 50mm f1.2L, it's tiny in comparison. The Canon 50mm f1.2R is a bit of a beast too but it still looks quite a bit smaller than the Nikon version, from the pics at least. Bit odd that a number of mirrorless primes are considerably bigger than the DSLR counterpart. I know they're supposedly superior in terms of sharpness etc but the 'compact' nature of mirrorless was/is most beneficial with primes, but with these big daddies DSLR could actually work out smaller :eek:
Just been having another look at the updated Z lens lineup for 2020/21, the 50mm f1.2 is crazy big :eek:

https://nikonrumors.com/2020/01/08/...s-available-now-12-more-to-come-by-2021.aspx/

The EF50/1.2 isn't all that good a lens.
Cannot really say but judging by relative size difference it looks about the same size as RF50/1.2 give or take (it'll never be the same size). Going by what nikon are doing I am guessing it will be better corrected hence may be slightly larger and hopefully won't have like 6 stops of vignetting like RF50/1.2 :p

On the other hand judging by the size of 200-600mm it may be an internal zoom like the Sony version which I am liking in someways lol.

I would suggest that Nikon has done just that i.e concentrate on ubiquitous 1.8’s so far so I’d welcome something a bit exotic. That said they the 1.8’s are far from cheap!

I suspect it's easier to make a larger piece of glass with the required accuracy than it is a small piece. My Sony (basically a Minolta rebadged) A mount 50 f1.4 s tiny too, but wide open performance would have it laughted out of court by current standards. Everyone 'wants' super crisp & clean lenses, and even a modest bit of CA or coma is being given a hard time.

FWIW I LOVE the current gen of f1.4s, and find the shallow DoF useful in landscape & urban too.

I suspect it's easier to make a larger piece of glass with the required accuracy than it is a small piece. My Sony (basically a Minolta rebadged) A mount 50 f1.4 s tiny too, but wide open performance would have it laughted out of court by current standards. Everyone 'wants' super crisp & clean lenses, and even a modest bit of CA or coma is being given a hard time.

FWIW I LOVE the current gen of f1.4s, and find the shallow DoF useful in landscape & urban too.
Don't get me wrong - there are times when it would be useful even for me to have a shallower DoF. I fact, I've just been out with my 14-30 for a bit of specific urban where it would have been handy to have isolated the background more. I could have walked home for my 20mm f1.8, but I needed the 14mm due to the narrowness of the streets round here. But at the end of the day it's down to cost (and weight).
Often, if I know in advance, I would fit a "legacy" lens with, as you remark, a wider aperture and perhaps a bit of character.

Lets hope Nikon have a camera worthy of the 200-600mm by the time it is released. It's all well and good having a wildlife/airshow lens such as this but it needs AF/tracking/FPS to make it worthwhile purchase. This lens has got me interested though.

Without intension of brand bashing, don't you use Pentax K1 at the moment? AF tracking isn't exactly considered one of its strongest points tbh. The current Z6/7 might suffice in comparison to it.

Which is why I also use a Nikon D500 along with a Sigma 150-600mm sport (just sold yesterday) and a Sigma 500mm F/4 Sport.

how's the sigma 500mm f4 sport? have you used any other native teleprimes? and how does it compare in terms of AF speed?

how's the sigma 500mm f4 sport? have you used any other native teleprimes? and how does it compare in terms of AF speed?

Not used Nikon primes, had a Canon 7D along with a MKI 300mm f/2.8 IS and the Sigma is as quick on the Nikon but how much of that is down to the D500 is anyones guess. The 500mm is nice and sharp wide open though.

Long Tailed Tit
by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

Not used Nikon primes, had a Canon 7D along with a MKI 300mm f/2.8 IS and the Sigma is as quick on the Nikon but how much of that is down to the D500 is anyones guess. The 500mm is nice and sharp wide open though.

Long Tailed Tit
by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

really tempted by this lens! but its huge too.... hmm.... but the price is so good.

Long Tailed Tit by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

One question....have you experienced any issues with tracking? Some people have reported that when you use AF-C and focus on even a static subject (like a tree) that every other shot is slightly out of focus...

One question....have you experienced any issues with tracking? Some people have reported that when you use AF-C and focus on even a static subject (like a tree) that every other shot is slightly out of focus...

I haven't noticed that but to be honest I rarely use it due to the hassle of carrying it around and for anything that needs (needed now I have sold it) tracking as I always used the 150-600mm.

Back