Nikon Z* mirrorless

Not tested the AF yet, and love the continued updates, but I really wish Nikon would re-code the horizontal horizon feature on the camera. I'm OK with the big compass style thing when shooting with the rear screen, but when looking through the viewfinder, I find that it's really distracting and hides a lot of the view. I have a nasty habit of sloping to the right with my shots so use the level feature all the time on all my cameras. Why they can't go back to how their DSLR's (and my Olympus cameras) work, i.e. a series of dashes at the bottom and side of the screen, god only knows ! I currently use the grid view in the EVF, but would much prefer a better level feature.

Whilst I'm moaning, I also want the ability to have said modified level feature on display at the same time as the histogram. Please Nikon.. that would remove my last major criticism of my Z6 and Z7 cameras.

My super wish list to put me in heaven would be:
  • 4K 60 (50) Video
  • A Nikon version of Olympus's Live composite and Live ND's features would be fantastic.
  • Tracking AF-C selectable from ANY AF mode (i.e. single point, wide small, wide large or all).
  • Battery level shown in % on screen at all times

Last edited:
I got this XQD/SD card reader for use with the D500. It works fine when I have used it. It is not much money, but now that the Nikon cameras are starting to be able to use CFExpress cards, it may be a good idea to wait for a XQD/CFExpress readers to appear. I don't know whether the reader I have can read CFExpress cards because I don't have one, but for the price it is good enough for me atm.

Animal eye/face AF doesn't work great on our puppy, very hit and miss and more miss than hit.

Slightly stupid question - I think the three eye/face focussing options are now ‘face detect’, ‘eye and face detect’, and ‘animal eye detect’. I assume when you set it to animal, it’ll still do people? Or is it one or the other?

Slightly stupid question - I think the three eye/face focussing options are now ‘face detect’, ‘eye and face detect’, and ‘animal eye detect’. I assume when you set it to animal, it’ll still do people? Or is it one or the other?
Not stupid. I wonder what and why the three options. And if you to set it to any one of those then change your mind a shoot, say, a passing locomotive, what happens then? (Unless it’s Thomas the Tank Engine)

Dunno, no people around to try it on ;)

Decided to try the new tracking UI. I have to say I'm positively impressed by it. Normally I use dynamic area or Wide-S, but this did perfectly ok.
One of the set below:

Happy, happy by luftwalk, on Flickr
A great capture. Would it be possible for you to set out your settings - in layman’s language as I rarely shoot anything moving quicker than a glacier.

A great capture. Would it be possible for you to set out your settings - in layman’s language as I rarely shoot anything moving quicker than a glacier.

Hey Stephen, this was actually a test of the new tracking mode, so it was mostly automatic. I set the AF to AF-C, AF area was set to AFA and I initiated tracking with the press of the OK button (you can remap it to any other FN button). I placed the white box over my dog and pressed AF-ON (I use back button for focusing but half pressing a shutter would do the same). As long as you continue to hold AF-ON (or shutter button) the camera will track whatever was under the white box at the beginning. That's it :)

The basic parameters were 1/2500s, F3.2 and Auto ISO. Lens used was a Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VR2.

Edit: the video Peter linked is a good demonstration of it, yes.

Last edited:
Hey Stephen, this was actually a test of the new tracking mode, so it was mostly automatic. I set the AF to AF-C, AF area was set to AFA and I initiated tracking with the press of the OK button (you can remap it to any other FN button). I placed the white box over my dog and pressed AF-ON (I use back button for focusing but half pressing a shutter would do the same). As long as you continue to hold AF-ON (or shutter button) the camera wil track whatever was under the white box at the beginning. That's it :)

The basic parameters were 1/2500s, F3.2 and Auto ISO. Lens used was a Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VR2.
Great - just what I was looking for, thank you.

I never bothered up till now to even try out tracking on the Z6 as everyone said it wasn't up to much. I had a quick look on Auto AF and it does seem to do something at any rate. The first time I tried animal eye detect, it immediately went to a wheel rim for some reason but actually wasn't bad for Ruby. I might actually get a bit better at photographing the kids or dog now.

Well well well @snerkler left the z club joined the bright Sony club

guess you were underwhelmed by firmware v3. Or was there anything specific which led you to switch? (don't remember everything I read here and don't read ever post...) Perhaps an X-T4 next?!:)

you will be missed @snerkler :)
Thanks, I'll still pop by though ;)
guess you were underwhelmed by firmware v3. Or was there anything specific which led you to switch? (don't remember everything I read here and don't read ever post...) Perhaps an X-T4 next?!:)
Was purely the ability to have one system rather than two. The 60mp of the A7RIV allows me to get the same 2x crop as M4/3 therefore can use lighter lenses to get the same reach.

According to Nikon rumours there’s a 60mp Nikon Z coming later this year.
if you needed this for the summer then you’ve made the correct decision.
Also, Sony is further ahead in mirrorless lens development.
Good luck and good shooting.

Thanks, I'll still pop by though ;)
Was purely the ability to have one system rather than two. The 60mp of the A7RIV allows me to get the same 2x crop as M4/3 therefore can use lighter lenses to get the same reach.
Ah, yes. I do now remember you mentioning something along those lines. And the argument does make some sense! Anyway, good luck with Sony -- I'm perfectly happy with my Z6.

According to Nikon rumours there’s a 60mp Nikon Z coming later this year.
if you needed this for the summer then you’ve made the correct decision.
Also, Sony is further ahead in mirrorless lens development.
Good luck and good shooting.
I was going to wait for the Z8 but there’s no news when the 100-400mm will be released, or how much. Plus there’s no pancake primes, and AFAIK the Tamron 70-180mm will be a Sony release only, at least initially. Weighing everything up it made sense to do it now whilst my current gear is at least worth something.

I was going to wait for the Z8 but there’s no news when the 100-400mm will be released, or how much. Plus there’s no pancake primes, and AFAIK the Tamron 70-180mm will be a Sony release only, at least initially. Weighing everything up it made sense to do it now whilst my current gear is at least worth something.

Pls the eye af and pet just sticks

Anyone know the mating call of an XQD memory card? I've put my spare into one of the two bags I use for my Z6, but despite making all sorts of noises and emptying both bags, I'm beggared if I can find the thing. :mad:

Anyone know the mating call of an XQD memory card? I've put my spare into one of the two bags I use for my Z6, but despite making all sorts of noises and emptying both bags, I'm beggared if I can find the thing. :mad:

Still in the card reader ??

Yeah, that would be my bet as well. I did something the other week that I have never done in my life. Went down to South Wales for a long weekend to stay with our best friends and we had planned some days out (i.e. Tenby). Took just my Z7 and the 24-70 F4 and the 50mm F1.8S with me. Got there, wento to take a shot only to find no memory card. I'd taken it out a few days before to offload some images, and left the bloody thing in the XQD reader (which sods law was still at home).

I therefore only had my Osmo Pocket (bought from these very forums) and my phone with me. Managed to get this on the Osmo thought. Miles away from Z7 quality but not too bad.

Found it! In a previously-undiscovered pocket in one of the bags (Peak Design). I blame the dog.

That's really interesting thanks Stephen. It seems like he's really smitten with the lens and optically, it looks like it's going to be another cracker. I've been looking forward to this as a one lens "holiday" solution with the Z6 or Z7 bodies.

Only very slight downside, is that the VR in lens obviously isn't as effective as some other lenses, but I don't think he clarified at what focal length he was at to get the sharp 1/20 sec images at. If it's right up at the 200mm end, then that's still about 3 and a bit stops.

Back