Nikon Z* mirrorless

Received the 50 1.8 from Thunderbird010 on Friday and took it out to a fitness event on Saturday. Pretty much used it as my only lens and was super impressed by it! This is a seriously sharp lens!

Album is here: https://dougpinnegar.smugmug.com/Cross-Fit/BFMG-March-Madness/

A couple standout shots:
DSC_1674-XL.jpg

DSC_2104-L.jpg

I should get out more full stop. Went out last night to get some spring flowers but unfortunately left my memory card at home....

Not like you can just buy one for a tenner from a high st shop either, is it?

Is that second one with focus tracking?

No, Dynamic Area AF with AF-C, 12 FPS mode. She was too far away to engage subject tracking (box was too large), so I chose Dynamic.

Not like you can just buy one for a tenner from a high st shop either, is it?
no -- but it was hardly the end of the world as the park is just a few minutes walk from home. More stupid was somehow forgetting to take my FTZ adaptor on holiday last summer, thus restricting myself to the 24-70.

no -- but it was hardly the end of the world as the park is just a few minutes walk from home. More stupid was somehow forgetting to take my FTZ adaptor on holiday last summer, thus restricting myself to the 24-70.

That's not exactly a hardship! If I was restricted to just one lens, and it was that one, I wouldn't be unhappy at all!

To be honest, I survived perfectly OK for 90% of planned photos. Of course there are those who travel around with only a 35mm fixed and indeed that can work in the city but for landscape I would feel very restricted. As Stephen says, I find a telephoto essential for many kinds of shots, especially in mountains. Nevertheless, it is good training to work within restrictions at times.

Last edited:
What I meant was, that the 24-70 is such an excellent lens, that to have just that wouldn't be a hardship for me. I've always been one to work within the constraints of the equipment I have, rather than worrying about stuff I haven't. I learned on an old simple Praktica with a 50mm lens. I think that helped be develop as a photographer, much better than if I'd had all sorts of jack of all trades lenses.

Every now and then, there are 'seasonal' discounts. Loads of Nikon cameras and lenses were selling at discounted prices in January; I got my 50mm f1.8 Z lens for £349; it's now £529. This seems to be a 'flash 4 day sale'. It will stimulate interest and generate a sudden surge of income at a time when a lot of businesses are worried for the future. They may lose out in the long run, over what they normally sell stuff at, but they'll be able to pay the bills this month and perhaps the next. Over time, things tend to balance out anyway. My Nikon Z6 kit cost £1949; this £180 discount brings the price back down to that level. Grays were selling the same kit even cheaper, back in January...

Last edited:
Every now and then, there are 'seasonal' discounts. Loads of Nikon cameras and lenses were selling at discounted prices in January; I got my 50mm f1.8 Z lens for £349; it's now £529. This seems to be a 'flash 4 day sale'. It will stimulate interest and generate a sudden surge of income at a time when a lot of businesses are worried for the future. They may lose out in the long run, over what they normally sell stuff at, but they'll be able to pay the bills this month and perhaps the next. Over time, things tend to balance out anyway. My Nikon Z6 kit cost !949; this £180 discount brings the price back down to that level. Grays were selling the same kit even cheaper, back in January...
Wow, didn’t realise the 50mm had gone back up to that. Paid £275 for mine IIRC.

Just got the initial result of the first post-treatment blood (PSA) test for my Prostate cancer. Indications are that the cancer has been eliminated. Got a meeting (well now it's a telephone call) with my consultant at the beginning of April, so we'll see what she has to say, but for now I'm happy. :banana:

Oh, and I got my 85mm yesterday as well, and picking up a new car today. Just got to stay clear of that to-do what's going on.

Last edited:
Just got the initial result of the first post-treatment blood (PSA) test for my Prostate cancer. Indications are that the cancer has been eliminated. Got a meeting (well now it's a telephone call) with my consultant at the beginning of April, so we'll see what she has to say, but for now I'm happy. :banana:

Oh, and I got my 85mm yesterday as well, and picking up a new car today. Just got to stay clear of that to-do what's going on.

Awesome news all round (y)

Great news mate. Enjoy the new lens. Maybe drive somewhere to use it.

Excellent news! Really happy for you.

Fantastic news (y)

Great news. Looking forward to pics. of the dog and the car with your 85mm.

Great news Stephen. Now keep yourself safe from this awful virus.

That’s excellent news Stephen! It’s about time we had some good news! Thank you for sharing!

I've been out very little during the (non) winter but I thought I'd just post a couple of "selective focus" shots from the past few days with my 105mm f2.8 micro D lens which I thought were quite moody though I know that lots of folk hate this sort of thing......

DSC_2414.jpg

DSC_2420.jpg

I have to confess to a serious case of non GAS at the moment -- haven't bought or sold a lens for over 9 months. What is wrong with me?!

I've been out very little during the (non) winter but I thought I'd just post a couple of "selective focus" shots from the past few days with my 105mm f2.8 micro D lens which I thought were quite moody though I know that lots of folk hate this sort of thing......

View attachment 272705

View attachment 272706

I have to confess to a serious case of non GAS at the moment -- haven't bought or sold a lens for over 9 months. What is wrong with me?!
I do like the Daffodils one. The second photo looks a bit confused to me. You are showing remarkable restraint!

what do you think of the 85Z tried mine out on new granddaughter on Saturday still not had a chance to look at them properly like the fisherman
Literally only made 10 shots with it, but there’s nothing not to like. Well balanced, sharp, focusses well.

Back