Nikon Z* mirrorless

In video it’s like everyone else mentions online compared to the F mount FTZ lenses. Just so quiet at home with the lockdown it’s all I could hear ha
Haha, I know what you mean these things can sound louder than ‘normal’ when you’re in complete silence ;)

Mate of mine is looking to buy the Z6 soon and reports the price is fluctuating almost daily, sometimes by up to £200. Seems like Jessops, Wex and Cameraworld are taking turns to be the cheapest, sounds a bit like an unofficial agreement between them rather than genuine competition hmm

Mate of mine is looking to buy the Z6 soon and reports the price is fluctuating almost daily, sometimes by up to £200. Seems like Jessops, Wex and Cameraworld are taking turns to be the cheapest, sounds a bit like an unofficial agreement between them rather than genuine competition hmm
Best way to check the current pricing is here - https://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/Nikon/Nikon-Z-System-Cameras

I know there's been a discount that Nikon have launched so maybe it's that?

It's an uncertain time for retailers. Stock just sitting there, doesn't pay the bills. Flash sales for certain items, helps stimulate interest and traffic, and hopefully sales. Losing a few quid on some stuff, but hopefully selling other stuff as well, so that a turnover is maintained. Z6 + 4-70 + FTZ kits have sold as low as about £1900 or so, from proper bricks and mortar UK retailers. I haven't seen any prices below this, other than grey importers. I doubt prices will go much below this, until Nikon introduce more Z cams. Which probably isn't going to be for a while yet, now. So, under £2000 for the kit, is a good price, and if you see it for around that, then go for it.

It's an uncertain time for retailers. Stock just sitting there, doesn't pay the bills. Flash sales for certain items, helps stimulate interest and traffic, and hopefully sales. Losing a few quid on some stuff, but hopefully selling other stuff as well, so that a turnover is maintained. Z6 + 4-70 + FTZ kits have sold as low as about £1900 or so, from proper bricks and mortar UK retailers. I haven't seen any prices below this, other than grey importers. I doubt prices will go much below this, until Nikon introduce more Z cams. Which probably isn't going to be for a while yet, now. So, under £2000 for the kit, is a good price, and if you see it for around that, then go for it.
I think he wants the more expensive f/2.8 zoom, I have advised to get the f/4 plus a couple of primes, £2k for the zoom is ridiculous in my opinion. Thoughts ?

I think he wants the more expensive f/2.8 zoom, I have advised to get the f/4 plus a couple of primes, £2k for the zoom is ridiculous in my opinion. Thoughts ?
I’ve not tried the 2.8 version, but unless you really need f2.8, I think the “kit” f4 zoom is more than adequate and great value. As you say, get a couple of f1.8 primes for the focal lengths which he specifically needs a wide aperture for.

I’ve not tried the 2.8 version, but unless you really need f2.8, I think the “kit” f4 zoom is more than adequate and great value. As you say, get a couple of f1.8 primes for the focal lengths which he specifically needs a wide aperture for.
The f4 lens is superb imo. I understand the f2.8 is a cracking lens but I’ve changed my tune of late and would rather carry a prime with me if I wanted that ‘pop’ or low light capability rather than carrying the weight of the f2.8 zoom. YMMV (y)

Well, I haven't used the f2.8 version, but the f4 'kit' lens is, imo, superb. Really sharp, less distortion than you might expect, and nice and compact. Makes for a small, light little combo for travelling about with. Personally, I wouldn't pay the extra for the f2.8. For a 24-70mm range, IBIS copes with needing to use lower shutter speeds (it's only a stop), f4 is still bright enough for using in really low light situations, I've used mine happily in dimly lit clubs etc. I've not felt the need for that extra stop, not like when I'm using a 70-200 and that extra stop equates to a faster shutter speed. And for the money saved, you could get what, the 35, 50 AND 85mm lenses! Or say a prime and the 14-30mm. I know what I'd rather do.

I understand the f2.8 is a cracking lens but I’ve changed my tune of late and would rather carry a prime with me if I wanted that ‘pop’ or low light capability rather than carrying the weight of the f2.8 zoom. YMMV

Very much this. At a small gig I covered recently, I used the 24-70mm f4, and the 50mm. Perfect. Didn't need anything longer, wider, or faster.

Depends if you shoot in low light and need that faster shutter speed without boosting the ISO. Nobody needs f/2.8 it’s just nice to have really but not at that price!

Thanks for all the replies, pretty much mirrors what I’ve told him.

Just checked out Panamoz and the Z6 body is now down to £1310
With 24-70 kit lens £1630 :p
Strangely, with the FTZ adaptor, it's £1765.

I say strangely because when I looked last week to add in the FTZ increased the body + lens by £90 (unless I misread) and now it's £135.
Ah. I see it is still £90 difference between the body only, and body + FTZ

Z7 with FTZ adaptor and 24-70; £2460.

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that the issue of the EVF and OVF not automatically switching due to a foreign body on the eyepiece seems to have gone away? I wonder if the sensitivity of the sensor which controls this has been turned down in one of the recent firmware updates?

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that the issue of the EVF and OVF not automatically switching due to a foreign body on the eyepiece seems to have gone away? I wonder if the sensitivity of the sensor which controls this has been turned down in one of the recent firmware updates?
I'm sure you meant EVF and LCD? ;) :p

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that the issue of the EVF and OVF edit LCD not automatically switching due to a foreign body on the eyepiece seems to have gone away? I wonder if the sensitivity of the sensor which controls this has been turned down in one of the recent firmware updates?

Since we're kinda on lockdown the subjects closest to me get the most attention .:)

Cujo reborn (focus a little off, but the expression makes up for it).
The next Cujo by luftwalk, on Flickr

Mud bath, good for the skin :)
Mud bath by luftwalk, on Flickr

DSC_2370-2-L.jpg

Dog enjoying some of the evening sunshine last night.

I had left it on AF-S rather than AF-C so focus isn't quite as sharp as I'd have liked!

I wont post the whole pic up, as the subject wouldn't be at all happy, but this is a 100% crop from it. A bit of Lightroom tweaking, but not loads. B+W, slight exposure adjustment, sharpened, boosted the contrast a bit. Was in a dingy bar with very poor lighting; 1/100" @ f1.8 on the new 50. At EIGHT THOUSAND ISO.

Last edited:
This is why I get a bit phased by people who say they wont go over a certain ISO. I'd rather have the picture than not bother and IMO it's probably only really some artificial lighting that causes real issues. I'll use any ISO up to and including whatever max the kit goes to.

The sensors on some cams now, are just incredible. My first digital camera was a Ricoh Caplio GX8. Anything over 400 ISO was basically unusable, due to noise. I then bought a s/h Nikon D200, which could go to 1600 ISO, but struggled in very low light. Then a D600, which is good to 6400. But with the Z6, I'm getting perfectly useable results up to 25,600, and even 51,200! That is astonishing. In my film days, I rarely ventured beyond 1600 with pushed HP5. Dabbled with Delta 3200 a bit, but I could never quite get what I wanted from it, I didn't use it enough to work out a good development for it. So we're now into realms of picture taking that weren't really available until very recently. I've always liked the 'grainy' look of fast B+W film, so I'm happy with a bit of noise with digital, as long as it's well controlled (on the Caplio, it was that horrible multicoloured nastiness). B+W'ing high ISO shots can really improve things as well. Modern cameras are bloody brilliant.

Here's a section of the bottom left corner from the same shot above. Again, 100% crop. The detail is simply astonishing, even with the noise:

EIGHT THOUSAND ISO.

Last edited:
Looks seriously ferocious. Put off any intruder.

Hmm -- when we go walkies, if Ruby encounters any dog which is even slightly dodgy, she waits patiently for me to go past it first before she tries........ That's assuming, of course, that she's actually going for a walk with me and not one of her own construction.

I've been playing with focus shifting (stacking) on a tripod.
I can't see how to use it handheld in the garden, as after setting initial focus point you have to go back into menu and press start, meaning that this process alone is likely to move the focus point (I don't have steel hands/wrists).
Any suggestions?

Back