Nikon Z* mirrorless

I probably didn't have my Nikon slr as long as you've had Nikon gear (I went Fuji then Canon when going digital) but I did have it for decades but even so these things are consumer / pro tools not dogs or family members and I'd drop any manufacturer if something suited me better. The cost of switching has to be taken into account and I accept that but whenever I see the emotional connection coming into it I'm always more than a bit baffled. I care about the badge on my camera about as much as I do the badge on the fridge, in other words, I just don't care and I struggle to understand those who do. That's just me though and we're all free to think otherwise :D

You don't care about the badge on your Fridge...wow... what a freak :D:D

I probably didn't have my Nikon slr as long as you've had Nikon gear (I went Fuji then Canon when going digital) but I did have it for decades but even so these things are consumer / pro tools not dogs or family members and I'd drop any manufacturer if something suited me better. The cost of switching has to be taken into account and I accept that but whenever I see the emotional connection coming into it I'm always more than a bit baffled. I care about the badge on my camera about as much as I do the badge on the fridge, in other words, I just don't care and I struggle to understand those who do. That's just me though and we're all free to think otherwise :D

I don't even know what brand our fridge is...

Tools are tools, yes. But I understand an 'emotional' attachment/loyalty to a particular brand, especially when it comes to cameras. I'm a Nikonite, because the people that taught me photography, for whom I will always have so much respect, used Nikon. Nikon was THE brand in the 70s and80s when I was growing up. And then, Nikon produced the kind of cameras that really suited me, when I could finally afford such things. Other brands products didn't quite meet up with my requirements. Friends and fellow students used Nikons more than any other brand. Nikon meant 'photography', to me.

I've said before on here, that if I were starting from scratch right now, I'd struggle to look past Sony. Because there is a far more mature system so far. But I did go and handle an A7iii, before I bought my Z6, just to see if I wasn't overlooking a better option. I wasn't; the differences between the cams are minimal, and negligible for me anyway. And A7iii wouldn't be any 'better' for me. It wouldn't take better pictures. That's down to me. The Z6 handles better for me, and it felt better made. But those are just subjective opinions. As for other options; Canon's EOS R I just didn't like the feel of, and the Panasonic S1 is just too big and heavy, although very nicely made.

Yes, being a Nikonite influenced my decision greatly, I won't lie; owning several Nikon lenses and other kit already, meant a Z6 was a no-brainer. I can use all my lenses just fine with the FTZ (bar the annoying lack of screw drive AF but that isn't such a big deal). The standard set by the Z system lenses already, means waiting for new lenses to come out, is fine. Whatever system I bought into, I wasn't going to be rushing out to buy 10 new lenses all at once. I can't see myself ever owning massive lenses such as 300mm f2.8 and above, cos they don't suit my style of photography. But to each their own. The 300mm f4 PF would probably be as long as I'd go, tbh. But I have no great need for such, right now, so it's not on my list. An 85 and 135 f1.8-2 are what I'd really like right now, and one of those is already available. Nikon do need to address the lack of 135 lenses in it's line up though; there's only the 135 f2 DC lens available, and that's screw drive AF, so I'm reluctant to consider that. Whatever I buy, I'd want it to be compatible with both my Z6 and my D600, for the foreseeable future at least.

Hi, Just received my Z6 :) and obviously it`s on V2 firmware.
My question is, Can this be done whilst the card is in the camera, I don`t have a card reader ? I do have a USB type C cable.

Nope, annoyingly the firmware has to be put on the card for it to update the firmware. It can't be done via USB or Wifi.

Nope, annoyingly the firmware has to be put on the card for it to update the firmware. It can't be done via USB or Wifi.
Bugger, Thanks for this. I`m in no hurry anyway LOL

I'm thinking of upgrading a D810 at some point - maybe soonish - to take advantage of the eye-af technology with Nikon.... I am considering the D780 due to the AF-D lens compatibility (I own several AF-D lenses) however, I doubt I'd use the camera in mirrorless mode the whole time and then I'd be back to the pain and anguish that is af-fine tuning lenses.

From those that have, how good are the adapted lenses with eye-af on the Nikon system?
AF-S lens wise, I only have few, but what I do have, I would like to perform very well :)
35 1.4
85 1.8
200 f2

and I'm planning on adding a 105 1.4 shortly.
I am considering a Z6 for portrait work mainly due to the IBIS and the eye-af which will be useful when trying to hand hold some of the faster, longer lenses. + the IBIS will be nice although camera shake has never been a issue for me anyway....

I'll likely keep the D810 and may add a D4s/D5 at some point if I go back to fast action stuff in the future.

How is the performance of adapted lenses and what is the high-iso performance like on the Z6?

Last edited:
How is the performance of adapted lenses and what is the high-iso performance like on the Z6?

Adapted AF-S lenses work perfectly, but with the added bonus of IBIS, if they haven't already got VR. Older screw drive AF lenses, you lose the AF of course, but they work perfectly otherwise. Manual focus lenses; I have 3 Ai lenses, and they work fine, although you don't get a metering indication, which is a bit daft considering the camera will still expose correctly in A mode (they won't work in P and S modes cos of the lack of mechanical aperture control, so just the same as on DSLR bodies). MF lenses work better on DSLRs. So, not perfect, but you still get access to a hell of a lot more lenses than with any other system. But that new lens mount theoretically allows for better optical designs, and so far, the image quality of Z mount lenses confirms this. My Z mount 50mm f1.8, for example, is noticeably sharper than my other 50mm F mount lenses. It's a Game Changer™, in fact. ;)

High ISO performance is incredible. I'm getting more than useable images even at ISO 51,200. That is astonishing, imo. There are other cams which claim even higher ISO performance, but from what I've seen, I'd question whether or not the results from most of them are at all 'usable'. But I can happily shoot indoors on a bright day, at say ISO 1600, and get decently fast shutter speeds to ensure maximum sharpness. When I think back to my D200, which struggled at that speed. My D600 is good to ISO 6400, which coming from my film days, is amazing, so to have two, or even three extra stops to play with, is even more of a a bonus. I shoot a lot in low light, and the Z6 has really helped me get shots that I previously wouldn't have been able to.

AF-S lens wise, I only have few, but what I do have, I would like to perform very well

You won't have any worries with any of those. Trust me.

Thanks @AZ6 - I am not interested in the new Z glass at the moment. Considering the quality of the older Nikon glass, the advancement from D-G type lenses was of little benefit to me personally and whilst I do not doubt the new Z glass is fantastic - I'm more than happy with Nikon's back catalogue of 'old' lenses.

High iso wise - i loved how my D3S looked at 12800 - so anything that is beyond that is an upgrade in my book. I am have been a little disappointed with the D810 on many fronts if I am totally honest and I am hoping the Z6 or Z7 will improve that.

From what I have read, the difference between Z6/7 is simply a sensor?

I am leaning towards the Z6 as even on the 810, the file sizes are a pain.

The Z6 has astonishing high ISO...this is a 51200 ISO shot:

Z6N_4969 by luftwalk, on Flickr

When it comes to adapting AF-S lenses....I love 'em. The main reason...no more AF fine tuning. When it comes to portraits and your lenses suggest that, you'll be amazed how consistent focus will be. Eye AF certainly helps as well.

Thanks @Luftwalk the AF fine tune is the main reason I am looking to move out of the D810. For some reason - my 810 is so inconsistent with focus - none of my other Nikon bodies have been so troublesome. The camera went back to Nikon relatively recently for repair and I still don't think it's quite right.

That high iso shot is amazing! Thanks for sharing and so pleased to hear that the adapted lenses will perform a-ok.

Thanks @Luftwalk the AF fine tune is the main reason I am looking to move out of the D810. For some reason - my 810 is so inconsistent with focus - none of my other Nikon bodies have been so troublesome. The camera went back to Nikon relatively recently for repair and I still don't think it's quite right.

That high iso shot is amazing! Thanks for sharing and so pleased to hear that the adapted lenses will perform a-ok.

Yep, I had an occasion once when I borrowed from Nikon a D500 to use for the weekend. I shot it with my own Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 Sport and I did check shots and they looked good on the screen....but what I didn't check was that the magnification was set to 50% and not 100%. All of the shots were off by a margin...My error of course, but it really hit home when the Z cameras (or any other mirrorless for that matter) solved that problem. Sure, the AF might be worse than the best in DSLR world, but it's much better than my D750 was.

Another high ISO shot:

Owl by luftwalk, on Flickr

The Z6 has astonishing high ISO...this is a 51200 ISO shot:

You see? I think it's just incredible how cameras have advanced in such a short space of time; there was what, 12 years between the Nikon F and the F2. And relatively quite minor advances. That same period in digital photography, has seen incredible leaps forward. That's the D700 to now. And whilst the D700 is still an excellent camera, it's nowhere near a Z6 or Z7 in terms of high ISO, eye AF etc, before you get anywhere near the video functions...

You see? I think it's just incredible how cameras have advanced in such a short space of time; there was what, 12 years between the Nikon F and the F2. And relatively quite minor advances. That same period in digital photography, has seen incredible leaps forward. That's the D700 to now. And whilst the D700 is still an excellent camera, it's nowhere near a Z6 or Z7 in terms of high ISO, eye AF etc, before you get anywhere near the video functions...

Definitely...the fact that I can leave ISO on auto ISO to the max and expect decent results is definitely a game changer to me. Funny you should mention video...I've never used it before, now it's something I actively seek to fit into my shooting. The focusing is great as is the IBIS, the only thing that bothers me with video is if using adapted lenses, sometimes the AF motor can be heard on the video.

I was also frustrated with the af accuracy of my D810. A D850 did solve all my issues however!

Significantly more accurate on extreme outer af points than the D810’s central point!

So, did a little more testing today, on a bigger field :) I have to say this lens is almost like cheating :) the quality of the images coming out is amazing. Tried various modes, Wide-S seemed to work best, but subject tracking wasn't far behind. On an open field like this it's very usable. A few photos below, more on my Flickr album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/luftwalk/albums/72157714306392862/with/49902395816/

Being cute by luftwalk, on Flickr

Airborne by luftwalk, on Flickr

Full speed ahead by luftwalk, on Flickr

Well it looks like I'll be chopping the d500 in and running a z6 and d750 from now on.
I’m considering a z6 too and rubbing the same bodies as you. Keen to see how it performs with my Nikon 70-200 f4. QXD cards seem to be more expensive these days

I’m considering a z6 too and rubbing the same bodies as you. Keen to see how it performs with my Nikon 70-200 f4. QXD cards seem to be more expensive these days

Yeah definitely looks that way since sony are the only ones making them. I'll be getting one from panamoz with the body. I'm having a bit of a cull with my lenses too.

Yeah definitely looks that way since sony are the only ones making them. I'll be getting one from panamoz with the body. I'm having a bit of a cull with my lenses too.

Which lenses will you be getting rid of?

The 50mm Z looks oh so good, but oh so expensive!! I’m going have to get a native z lens though. I remember the z6s were quite easy to pick up second hand but since the new firmware it seems there’s a new demand for them

Last edited:
Which lenses will you be getting rid of?

The 50mm Z looks oh so good, but oh so expensive!! I’m going have to get a native z lens though. I remember the z6s were quite easy to pick up second hand but since the new firmware it seems there’s a new demand for them

I'm chopping my 85mm 1.8 Nikon, sigma 24-70 2.8 and the 70-300mm af-p dx 16-80 d500 kit lens and the d500

The 50mm Z looks oh so good, but oh so expensive!!

Worth every penny. I picked mine up fairly cheap in a sale, but I think even at full rrp, it's good value. As I've stated on this very thread, it's significantly better than other F-mount Nikon 50mm lenses. Seems like Nikon have gone for the best optical design with the new mount. But there are apparently 2 'compact' Z-mount lenses coming, a 28 and a 40mm. These will probably have smaller max apertures, say f2.8, to keep the size down. Hopefully they won't be compromised optically. But you can't go wrong with the 24-70mm f4 'kit' lens with a Z6; it's IQ is fantastic, it's relatively small and light,, so gives a nice compact package for travelling. I bought my Z6 for travelling in mind, as my D600 with 24-120mm is a bit big and bulky, and although I'd like a little more reach, I can't say I'm at all disappointed. I'd rather have a very good zoom with limited range, than a mediocre one with a larger range.

I'm chopping my 85mm 1.8 Nikon, sigma 24-70 2.8 and the 70-300mm af-p dx 16-80 d500 kit lens and the d500
Have you considered keeping the 85 1.8? I really like mine - not tried it on the Z6 - however chopping it in now and then going for a new Z 85 1.8 is going to be a very expensive habit. I can the IQ being marginally better wide open on a new lens - but the current 85 1.8 is pretty good imo.

Have you considered keeping the 85 1.8? I really like mine - not tried it on the Z6 - however chopping it in now and then going for a new Z 85 1.8 is going to be a very expensive habit. I can the IQ being marginally better wide open on a new lens - but the current 85 1.8 is pretty good imo.
Yes it is a cracking lens but it doesnt hardly get used tbh. I'd rather someone else get some use out of it. 95% of my work is video and wildlife, I've got a 35mm still which I reckon it suit the z6 nicely as it does on my d750. I may regret not having a small zoom but the amount of times I use it, is probably once or twice a month

Thanks! I started with just a single point, AF-C, but found that a bit tricky. Then switched to dynamic area AF and that improved the keeper rate no end!

Well it looks like I'll be chopping the d500 in and running a z6 and d750 from now on.
What’s the reason for your decision, I’d have thought the Z6 and D750 are very similar (apart from the obvious mirrorless vs DSLR)?
Nikon make them as well, or at least brand them but how they compare price wise I don’t know. There’s always CF express but they’re even more expensive from what I’ve seen.

What’s the reason for your decision, I’d have thought the Z6 and D750 are very similar (apart from the obvious mirrorless vs DSLR)?
Nikon make them as well, or at least brand them but how they compare price wise I don’t know. There’s always CF express but they’re even more expensive from what I’ve seen.

They probably are very similar but i have fallen out of love with the d500 with its noise levels. I have started doing video a bit more too is another reason. Budget wise the z6 is about my limit with what im trading in.

A couple more from the local area, taken yesterday. The first with the 24-70 f4, the second with the 14-30 f4.

How d'you rate the 14-30? I'd like a superwide lens; I bought a Tokina 11-20mm lens for my D3300, which actually worked from 16mm on FX, with no vignetting. But I seemed to use it at the wide end mostly; LR Exif data shows the vast majority of pics shot with it, were at the wide end. So I'm not sure how much I'd actually benefit from a zoom; maybe I just need a UWA prime...

Testing the Nikon 2x TC version II with my 300/2.8

TC Test by luftwalk, on Flickr

I'm in the process all being well of swapping over to the z6 and was thinking if the IQ with a 200-500 and 1.4 tc would be any better than with a d500 or d750. I know it's a prime your using it on but still not alot wrong with that

Back