Nikon Z* mirrorless

I'm about to pick up a z6, currently using a D750. Do I keep the 24-120 f4 that I have that has vr and a longer focal length and usd it with an adapter or get the 24-70 f4 S that us smaller and lighter and won't need the adapter. I'm going to have to get an adapter in any case for other lenses. Any opinions welcome.
The 24-70mm is a better lens imo, and I quite rated the copy of the 24-120mm f4 I had. Also I just think the 24-70mm is better suited to the mirrorless cameras, the 24-120mm isn't as well balanced, especially when you push the weight forward by adding the adapter. You could always do what I did and get the Z7 to compensate for some of the lack of reach ;)

Thanks everyone. The lens is £379 more when buying as a kit, I can probably get most of that for my 24-120 if I sell it. Still unsure what to do as I always liked that range of focal length when hiking and camping. If I only had the 24-70 I would have to bring my 70-300 and adapter as well. Decisions decisions!

Thanks everyone. The lens is £379 more when buying as a kit, I can probably get most of that for my 24-120 if I sell it. Still unsure what to do as I always liked that range of focal length when hiking and camping. If I only had the 24-70 I would have to bring my 70-300 and adapter as well. Decisions decisions!

The 24-70 is really nice and small, makes for a very compact kit (compared to a DLSR!). Only very slightly larger than my old D3300 and 16-85mm zoom. But with much better IQ. The 24-70 is very sharp, optically very good. I've been impressed with some zooms (the 24-120 particularly, but also the 16-85mm DX, and even the 18-55mm DX kit zooms). The 24-120 has a great range; almost the perfect 'walk around' zoom lens. It is a tad big and heavy mind. But if it's the only lens, then it's a very capable performer. I've covered gigs with just that lens; a lot easier to work with than 2 cams and the 24-70 and 70-200 combo. I'd really miss it if I sold it.

MPB have like new 24-70mm S's for sale at £454 so they'd likely offer you around £325 I reckon if you got it and decided you preferred the 24-120mm. They have like new 24-120mm's in for £414 so would likely offer you around £300 I reckon. Did a quick quote on camerajungle and they'd offer £284 for a mint 24-120mm f4, and £319 for a mint 24-70mm f4 S, don't know if that helps decide?

@phil_b
I would definitely get the kit 24-70/4 along with the body. I didn't at first and ended up buying it used. If you plan to do any sort of video it's a must since AF sound is a disturbance in audio with F mount lenses...Z lenses are quiet.

@Sootchucker
I can't offer any help sadly with the Tamron 150-600 G2 version, apart from the fact it needs the latest FW to work on the Z cameras. I had the G1 version on my D750, which was always a little soft at 600mm.

OK, just for a bit of fun, (and because I want a break from work for 10 minutes :D ), obviously none of us know if Nikon have done with the firmware upgrades for the Z6 and Z7 or if there's more in the pipeline, but what (if any) firmware mods would you still like to see, but using the current hardware (so nothing that would potentially require new hardware).

For me, if I'm being greedy and wanted everything, it would be (in no particular order of preference):
  • 1.2x Crop mode from the D750 and D850 - I found these quite useful when I didn't need a full resolution image or need to crop (in camera) slightly, but not as much as the 1.5 crop.
  • Better implementation of the horizontal horizon (I keep saying this), so rather than use the large circular level gauge we have now, revert back to the series of horizontal and vertical dashes that the DSLR cameras (and a lot of other brands have), that frees up a lot of the screen whilst still keeping the camera horizontal.
  • Whilst on the above, the ability for the EVF to display the detailed shooting info screen along with the Histogram and horizontal horizon together in one screen (or give us the choice of what we would like to have).
  • 4K 60 and 10 bit 4K 30 internal (although this might need new hardware) ?
  • Ability to power the camera whilst switched on via a USB-PD device.
  • Better implementation of AF-C tracking and the ability to use this in any of the AF-C Modes.
  • A live composite and live time mode (like Olympus uses) would be fantastic for night time shoots.
  • A High Res mode (like Panasonic/ Olympus etc), even if it's just tripod based, especially for the Z6 to capture super high res shots when the Z7 isn't with me. (could require new hardware though, not sure ?)
  • Ability for the AF mark (be it single point or one of the Dynamic / Area modes) to change colour to green in AF-C mode when in focus (rather than just staying red).
  • For the EVF to flip the display when shooting in portrait (like Fuji does with the X series).
Think that's about it. Of course like I say, no one knows if Nikon are even planning any more firmware updates, or if some of the above are actually reserved for the next gen Z8 & Z9 along with things like twin card slots etc. ?

OK, just for a bit of fun, (and because I want a break from work for 10 minutes :D ), obviously none of us know if Nikon have done with the firmware upgrades for the Z6 and Z7 or if there's more in the pipeline, but what (if any) firmware mods would you still like to see, but using the current hardware (so nothing that would potentially require new hardware).

For me, if I'm being greedy and wanted everything, it would be (in no particular order of preference):
  • 1.2x Crop mode from the D750 and D850 - I found these quite useful when I didn't need a full resolution image or need to crop (in camera) slightly, but not as much as the 1.5 crop.
  • Better implementation of the horizontal horizon (I keep saying this), so rather than use the large circular level gauge we have now, revert back to the series of horizontal and vertical dashes that the DSLR cameras (and a lot of other brands have), that frees up a lot of the screen whilst still keeping the camera horizontal.
  • Whilst on the above, the ability for the EVF to display the detailed shooting info screen along with the Histogram and horizontal horizon together in one screen (or give us the choice of what we would like to have).
  • Better implementation of AF-C tracking and the ability to use this in any of the AF-C Modes.
  • A live composite and live time mode (like Olympus uses) would be fantastic for night time shoots.
  • A High Res mode (like Panasonic/ Olympus etc), even if it's just tripod based, especially for the Z6 to capture super high res shots when the Z7 isn't with me. (could require new hardware though, not sure ?)
  • Ability for the AF mark (be it single point or one of the Dynamic / Area modes) to change colour to green in AF-C mode when in focus (rather than just staying red).
  • For the EVF to flip the display when shooting in portrait (like Fuji does with the X series).
Think that's about it. Of course like I say, no one knows if Nikon are even planning any more firmware updates, or if some of the above are actually reserved for the next gen Z8 & Z9 along with things like twin card slots etc. ?
What I don't understand about camera manufacturers is that they see what we see yet they don't seem to want to implement great ideas from other manufacturers. Olympus have great features as you mention, some of which just seem like common sense that you'd want to have them on your own system. Something as simple as being able to choose what you want on the EVF just like you can on Olympus, why can't others do it/choose not to do it?

What I don't understand about camera manufacturers is that they see what we see yet they don't seem to want to implement great ideas from other manufacturers. Olympus have great features as you mention, some of which just seem like common sense that you'd want to have them on your own system. Something as simple as being able to choose what you want on the EVF just like you can on Olympus, why can't others do it/choose not to do it?

Because patents.

I'm sure some items are covered by patents, but things like Live Composite and High res shot probably aren't as Panasonic and Fuji use some of this technology as well, and it's basically just software and so long as it's not called exactly the same, is notoriously difficult to successfully patent. For instance Olympus introduced the worlds first live view system for a DSLR style camera, Dust elimination system, and in camera IBIS, however all of these now appear on many (if not all) camera brands.

Because patents.
I'm not sure there are patents on what options you have in the EVF and what the customer is allowed to select? Likewise hi-res etc as different brands have them but not all (y)

Well I don't know. But patents can work in weird ways. Maybe other companies are paying to use patented systems form other manufacturers. Praps there are agreements in place that we don't know about. But I do know that any one time, there are many lawsuits ongoing, all around the globe, regarding 'infringements' etc. Aren't Apple and Samsung suing one another all the time, despite actually working together/buying each others products etc?

Well I don't know. But patents can work in weird ways. Maybe other companies are paying to use patented systems form other manufacturers. Praps there are agreements in place that we don't know about. But I do know that any one time, there are many lawsuits ongoing, all around the globe, regarding 'infringements' etc. Aren't Apple and Samsung suing one another all the time, despite actually working together/buying each others products etc?
The legal people and the engineers are in different galaxies. If they’d just let the engineers get on with it ...

The legal people and the engineers are in different galaxies. If they’d just let the engineers get on with it ...

...they'd never stop paying huge legal bills, and be bankrupt quite quickly.

Simple solution. Get rid of the legal eagles and save a fortune. ;)

Ok. Shall we scrap all intellectual property laws whilst we're about it?

Could be more compact and cheaper and could make sense with a compact prime.

I'm afraid I wouldn't be interested at any price. I liked the idea of the Panasonic GF1 but in use I quickly got tired of it and swapped it for a G1. With a larger FF lens I just can't see me even tolerating a VF-less FF camera at all. Good luck to those who'll like and even love one though, if it comes.

Could be more compact and cheaper and could make sense with a compact prime.

I'm afraid I wouldn't be interested at any price. I liked the idea of the Panasonic GF1 but in use I quickly got tired of it and swapped it for a G1. With a larger FF lens I just can't see me even tolerating a VF-less FF camera at all. Good luck to those who'll like and even love one though, if it comes.
I understand lack of VF for more consumer grade cameras, but not FF ones. That being said I think at least the first RX1 didn't have a VF did it?

Isn't it merely a 'rumour' though? I seem to remember a similar design being touted before the Z6 and 7 came out.

Isn't it merely a 'rumour' though? I seem to remember a similar design being touted before the Z6 and 7 came out.
Yes, I've seen it on a well-known Nikon rumour site, which doesn't always get it right. Often they seem to be mock-up drawings, or wish-lists.

Meh. You can keep yer gimmicky Olympus etc nonsense. If I wanted a 'high res' cam, I'd get a MF one; sod wasting time with slow and fiddly software modes. The Z6 is not far off perfect for me; nice and small and light, handles very well, EVF is stunning, the best I've seen in any cam, ever, and stuff like Eye AF is incredible. So, not a lot I'd change, except for the provision for a vertical control grip. That is a big omission by Nikon, imo. That battery grip thing is practically useless for me. And I'd quite like a more flexible flip out screen; didn't feel the 'need' for one with the D600, but it's a very useful feature, and a bit more flexibility would be nice. And praps a rear control dial that's a bit more shielded from potential knocks; mine took a right bash that I've illustrated earlier in this thread. But I bought the Z6 to see if I'd get on with such a cam, I wasn't sure if it would 'work' or be a complete disaster. It's worked, so I think I'll be far more likely to buy another Z cam in future, rather than an F-mount/DSLR. The Z6 was at the kind of price point I can 'justify'; the Z7 was just a little too expensive to venture into the 'unknown' as it were. But my next cam will most probably be a Z; 8, 9 or whatever I don't know yet. We'll have to wait and see. I could easily live without video though, if a Z5 was a videoless Z6, that would annoy me a bit.

Ooh! What about a Z version of the Df? Proper cut down, an FM/FE2 type cam? That would be lovely.

Last edited:
Meh. You can keep yer gimmicky Olympus etc nonsense. If I wanted a 'high res' cam, I'd get a MF one; sod wasting time with slow and fiddly software modes. The Z6 is not far off perfect for me; nice and small and light, handles very well, EVF is stunning, the best I've seen in any cam, ever, and stuff like Eye AF is incredible. So, not a lot I'd change, except for the provision for a vertical control grip. That is a big omission by Nikon, imo. That battery grip thing is practically useless for me. And I'd quite like a more flexible flip out screen; didn't feel the 'need' for one with the D600, but it's a very useful feature, and a bit more flexibility would be nice. And praps a rear control dial that's a bit more shielded from potential knocks; mine took a right bash that I've illustrated earlier in this thread. But I bought the Z6 to see if I'd get on with such a cam, I wasn't sure if it would 'work' or be a complete disaster. It's worked, so I think I'll be far more likely to buy another Z cam in future, rather than an F-mount/DSLR. The Z6 was at the kind of price point I can 'justify'; the Z7 was just a little too expensive to venture into the 'unknown' as it were. But my next cam will most probably be a Z; 8, 9 or whatever I don't know yet. We'll have to wait and see. I could easily live without video though, if a Z5 was a videoless Z6, that would annoy me a bit.

Ooh! What about a Z version of the Df? Proper cut down, an FM/FE2 type cam? That would be lovely.
A lot of it is not at all gimmicky. What's gimmicky about being able to choose what you see on the EVF? What's slow about a hi-res mode that can be shot handheld? Live composite is an extremely clever and useful feature.

Just because you don't want it doesn't make it gimmicky (y)

I just need the Af speed a bit quicker and it will be a very good camera for my needs.

No it's the industry standard legal definition.
“to equip or embellish with unnecessary features, especially in order to increase salability, acceptance, etc.”

Anyone using their Z6 with a Sigma 150-600 contemporary as thinking of getting one?

Anyone using their Z6 with a Sigma 150-600 contemporary as thinking of getting one?
I had one for my other nikon bodies but couldn't get on with it. No matter what I did with the settings. I had the dock for it too. I possibly had a soft copy as I've seen some great images taken with it.
So I sold it and got the nikon 200-500. A heavier lens but constant 5.6 which helps in lower light conditions.

Yes I do. It's a good combination, but it does suffer from being a bit soft at 600mm. They say its best at 500mm or 550mm at a pinch. I used it last night on a barn owl. The light was poor, and it struggled with the ISO being up at 10000-12800 (ss 1/800). The images aren't brilliant, but for the conditions they were the best I could have hoped for. For the money, in good light, it is a good setup.This example is at ISO 7200 and the bird is a good 100m away from me under an overcast grey sky at 2030 last night.owl 1-1.jpg

Last edited:
“to equip or embellish with unnecessary features, especially in order to increase salability, acceptance, etc.”

Painting them pink would be a gimmick but hi res modes and the likes are usable features. Their use may be limited to certain applications but these type of features are real features that give more options, not gimmicks.

Painting them pink would be a gimmick but hi res modes and the likes are usable features. Their use may be limited to certain applications but these type of features are real features that give more options, not gimmicks.
Absolutely they are real features that a great number of people use and find extremely handy (y). One thing I loved with Olly that I wish I could have on all cameras is the personalisation of the EVF, I could have the histogram, horizontal and vertical indicators and blinkies all on the screen together in a way that was not intrusive (y)

Back