Nikon Z* mirrorless

Yes I do. It's a good combination, but it does suffer from being a bit soft at 600mm. They say its best at 500mm or 550mm at a pinch. I used it last night on a barn owl. The light was poor, and it struggled with the ISO being up at 10000-12800 (ss 1/800). The images aren't brilliant, but for the conditions they were the best I could have hoped for. For the money, in good light, it is a good setup.This example is at ISO 7200 and the bird is a good 100m away from me under an overcast grey sky at 2030 last night.View attachment 282507
Thanks for this I've just traded my afp 70-300 in with MPB as I've always wanted something longer so will see how I get on.

Could be more compact and cheaper and could make sense with a compact prime.

I'm afraid I wouldn't be interested at any price. I liked the idea of the Panasonic GF1 but in use I quickly got tired of it and swapped it for a G1. With a larger FF lens I just can't see me even tolerating a VF-less FF camera at all. Good luck to those who'll like and even love one though, if it comes.
I had an original G1 in blue. Bit sorry I got rid of it now as it was the first mirrorless system camera if I remember correctly and might be be worth more now than what I sold it for.

If I were to attach a manual legacy zoom lens, say 70-210mm, would it be logical to set the manual lens setting to 210mm on the grounds of it being the longest length so best for image stabilisation?

Yes but don’t hold your breath if the lens has no vr. nikon Ibis is most effective at wider angles and (from what I‘ve read) the Z longer telephotos will have in lens vr. The z 70-200 and 24-200 have vr.

Last edited:
Don’t know how true this is, but if it is true, this is great news for the Z mount and the longevity of the Nikon mirrorless system in general ?

Tamron to make mirrorless lenses for Nikon Z-mount

“I received a tip that Tamron will indeed make mirrorless lenses for Nikon Z mount. The company is planning to release its entire line of full-frame mirrorless lenses for Nikon Z mount. The COVID-19 has significantly impacted their release schedule.”

Read more: https://nikonrumors.com/2020/06/15/...-lenses-for-nikon-z-mount.aspx/#ixzz6PVcyCqBV

Last edited:
Don’t know how true this is, but if it is true, this is great news for the Z mount and the longevity of the Nikon mirrorless system in general ?

“I received a tip that Tamron will indeed make mirrorless lenses for Nikon Z mount. The company is planning to release its entire line of full-frame mirrorless lenses for Nikon Z mount. The COVID-19 has significantly impacted their release schedule.”

Read more: https://nikonrumors.com/2020/06/15/...-lenses-for-nikon-z-mount.aspx/#ixzz6PVcyCqBV
Tamron have been making some great lenses of late, I'm particularly interested in the 70-180mm f2.8. For me it's a shame the 28-75mm f2.8 isn't wider, I prefer 24mm over 28mm.

It certainly won’t do it any harm, I’m a keen advocate of Tamron and Sigma who have both thrown off their budget brand shackles and Produced lenses capable of bettering oem, sometimes by quite a margin!

A bit of competition and variety is what we need. I asked both Tamron and Sigma’s UK arms a year or so ago if there were any plans for making lenses in a Z mount and they said definitely not, so I expect to see them some time soon!

Not that I watch many of his videos, but the "angry Photography" (the very bizarre Theoria Apophasis), recently published a video on YouTube (see below) called " Story of modern lenses & who ruined Great Prime Lenses", where he goes onto say that more and more modern lenses are being made critically, bitingly sharp (to appease the pixel peeping brigade) but proposes than in doing so, many lenses (especially for Portraiture) have lost their rendering and feeling and are now just too clinical. Basically he's saying that Sharpness of a lens isn't the be and end all and there are much more important things like how it renders, bokeh, colours, vignetting, micro contrast etc.

Got to say whilst the guy is very OTT in both looks, speech and mannerisms it actually makes a lot of sense (certainly coming from a portrait photographers perspective).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WygZyc-muP8

I 100% agree with this. I have 2 AF lenses, sony zeiss 55mm that came with my a7r2, not really used, and the 24-105 for travel and to keep my wife happy who hates the extra time MF and vintage primes take.
The whole reason I bought a camera (as a nearly 50 yr old) were a few iconic photos I remembered seeing, they were taken in the 70//80's when I grew up, on old MF glass. I have an a7r2 and an a6000 which I upgraded for an XT3 for the better EVF. I feel that modern glass is amazing but It lacks character.

Why am I in the Nikon forum? When I was looking for a better alternative to my a6000 for vintage glass I was looking at all options. I might have chosen the X-T3 for the EVF, and will buy again if there is a better EVF option, but I also discovered a new world of manual Nikon primes that I have yet to dip into..

I 100% agree with this. I have 2 AF lenses, sony zeiss 55mm that came with my a7r2, not really used, and the 24-105 for travel and to keep my wife happy who hates the extra time MF and vintage primes take.
The whole reason I bought a camera (as a nearly 50 yr old) were a few iconic photos I remembered seeing, they were taken in the 70//80's when I grew up, on old MF glass. I have an a7r2 and an a6000 which I upgraded for an XT3 for the better EVF. I feel that modern glass is amazing but It lacks character.

Why am I in the Nikon forum? When I was looking for a better alternative to my a6000 for vintage glass I was looking at all options. I might have chosen the X-T3 for the EVF, and will buy again if there is a better EVF option, but I also discovered a new world of manual Nikon primes that I have yet to dip into..
As a previous Fuji owner (most models up to the X-H1) I can say the viewfinder of the Z6 is light years ahead of Fuji.

As a previous Fuji owner (most models up to the X-H1) I can say the viewfinder of the Z6 is light years ahead of Fuji.

Pretty much on par with the Xt3 to be honest...

Yes but don’t hold your breath if the lens has no vr. nikon Ibis is most effective at wider angles and (from what I‘ve read) the Z longer telephotos will have in lens vr. The z 70-200 and 24-200 have vr.
The lens arrived earlier this afternoon (in beautiful condition - not bad for £26 plus postage from Poland) and initial checks show that IBIS does work (as it does on my 100mm and 135mm lenses) and I got a clear shot whilst seated at 1/15 sec on 210mm. I'll take it out later in the week for a full assessment.

I've been using my Z6 with my old 24, 50 and 135mm MF Nikkors. I can confirm IBIS works brilliantly. As does focus peaking, and you can zoom right in in the viewfinder or on screen, to fine tune focus. It's as good as using the split prism on my old FM2, anyway. I love that about Nikon; most 'enthusiast' level cams up have provision for old MF lenses, and the Z6 is even better with them.

The lens arrived earlier this afternoon (in beautiful condition - not bad for £26 plus postage from Poland) and initial checks show that IBIS does work (as it does on my 100mm and 135mm lenses) and I got a clear shot whilst seated at 1/15 sec on 210mm. I'll take it out later in the week for a full assessment.

1/15 @ 210mm is very good. I'm not steady enough to do that.

DSC_2950-L.jpg

The hound looking suitably chilled out enjoying the evening sunshine at a local poppy field.
Tamron 70-200 @ 200mm 2.8

DSC_2950-L.jpg

The hound looking suitably chilled out enjoying the evening sunshine at a local poppy field.
Tamron 70-200 @ 200mm 2.8
Lovely photo.

I tried my nikon 70-200 2.8 vr1 out on my z6 the other day its amazing I reckon that will be my go to lens for portraits etc

Lovely photo.

I tried my nikon 70-200 2.8 vr1 out on my z6 the other day its amazing I reckon that will be my go to lens for portraits etc
I love the 70-200mm f2.8 for portraits (y)

Lovely photo.

not tried it yet will give it a go was going to sell 70-200 vr1 but sill can't bring myself to sell it

not tried it yet will give it a go was going to sell 70-200 vr1 but sill can't bring myself to sell it
When I had a lens full to fund the z6 I was never going to sell that as it's an awesome lens on everybody I've used it on.
The only reason I would sell it if the z series 70-200 turns out to be a engineering master piece

When I had a lens full to fund the z6 I was never going to sell that as it's an awesome lens on everybody I've used it on.
The only reason I would sell it if the z series 70-200 turns out to be a engineering master piece
I think when we see enough reviews it will prove to be superb. It just needs to come down in price (y)

I've been so impressed with my 70-200 VR2, that I struggle to understand how it could be bettered. Of course it could, but if it's good enough for me now, why change?

Not my kind of thing, that. I'm more interested in the little compact 28 and 40mm primes. Hoping they won't be too expensive.

It wouldn’t have been my thing before the Z6 to be honest either! I’d previously have had a 24-70 f/2.8 and a 70-200 f/2.8, but with the Z6 i’m enjoying slow zooms and fast primes!

I've been so impressed with my 70-200 VR2, that I struggle to understand how it could be bettered. Of course it could, but if it's good enough for me now, why change?
Was always my favourite lens the VR2 (y)

Back