Nikon Z* mirrorless

So basically what the Z6 & Z7 should have been from the get go (y)
Probs, but then Nikon had to get into the full frame MILC market asap, or they would have fallen even further behind Sony. Canon's first FF MILC offerings haven't exactly set the world alight either, yet the proposed new models are apparently 'amazing' if you believe the hype. But the fact is, the systems are now firmly established, with a range of lenses. IMO Nikon have done a lot better by punting out the f1.8 primes first, rather than follow Canon's approach of just releasing the über expensive f1.2 lenses etc. So Nikon have established a ready market, now they can concentrate on getting better cams out there. Us 'early adopters' may feel a little peeved, having spent a fair amount on cams that will now be superseded by seemingly 'better' models, but that's life. It will be well over 2.5 years since the announcement and release of the first Nikon Z cam, before we see any other higher end cam on the market. Think of computers, 'phones etc. Always summat newer, shinier, 'better' down the road.

As someone who took the plunge into the Z system, I'd have preferred it if a vertical control grip had been possible, but hey ho. 2 card slots? Not bothered tbh. But the cam has been so good, I'm willing to overlook the negatives. It helps me take even better pics than before, so all's good.

I’m not at all peeved. I’m very happy with the Z6 as it is. The only thing I disliked originally was the XQD card and its expense. But I’ve got over that, got a card and a spare (which I doubt I’ll use), and still got a camera which far exceeds my abilities. Come to think of it, my first camera, a Kodak Instamatic, exceeds my abilities. :D

Really interesting shots! (not). The first two photos from my 24-200 Z on the Z6, taken purely to prove to myself that it went from 24mm to 200mm and back. (Mistletoe thinks that this is a Big Grey Rabbit and watches it digging holes all day). Totally untouched apart from what LR does to them on importing. And what Flickr screws up, of course.

Nikkor 24-200 Z by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

Nikkor 24-200 Z by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

Probs, but then Nikon had to get into the full frame MILC market asap, or they would have fallen even further behind Sony. Canon's first FF MILC offerings haven't exactly set the world alight either, yet the proposed new models are apparently 'amazing' if you believe the hype. But the fact is, the systems are now firmly established, with a range of lenses. IMO Nikon have done a lot better by punting out the f1.8 primes first, rather than follow Canon's approach of just releasing the über expensive f1.2 lenses etc. So Nikon have established a ready market, now they can concentrate on getting better cams out there. Us 'early adopters' may feel a little peeved, having spent a fair amount on cams that will now be superseded by seemingly 'better' models, but that's life. It will be well over 2.5 years since the announcement and release of the first Nikon Z cam, before we see any other higher end cam on the market. Think of computers, 'phones etc. Always summat newer, shinier, 'better' down the road.

As someone who took the plunge into the Z system, I'd have preferred it if a vertical control grip had been possible, but hey ho. 2 card slots? Not bothered tbh. But the cam has been so good, I'm willing to overlook the negatives. It helps me take even better pics than before, so all's good.
I've always said the Z's are a good first attempt, but there were always some things I didn't understand. I understand the need to get into the market, but never understood the single card slot and lack of proper vertical grip when you're designing something from he ground up, as they did. Omitting these would not have sped up the development or entry into the market. There's only two reasons that I can think of, either they had complete idiots in the R&D (unlikely) or they needed a reason for people to 'upgrade' (likely). In terms of performance the Z's aren't a million miles away in which case they need something else to tempt people to a shiny new toy ;)

IIRC I said from day one that if the Z's had dual card slot, faster real time FPS and a proper vertical grip they'd be nigh on perfect. I accept the AF systems will continue to improve, but lets be honest the AF systems now are incredible. I think the Z system will likely be the best (imo and for my needs) in a couple of years, the lenses they're making are incredible.

I’ll save my pennies for some of the forthcoming lenses.

Is there any sign of Z series fast telephoto primes on the horizon yet? Thinking of trying mirrorless sometime soon but want to be sure it's the right move.

GC

Is there any sign of Z series fast telephoto primes on the horizon yet? Thinking of trying mirrorless sometime soon but want to be sure it's the right move.

GC
I'd like a 135mm f2 or thereabouts. Even a compact f2.8 version would be lovely! The tiny 28 and 40mm f2.8s sound interesting too. I'd prefer a 28mm I think, as a general walkabout type lens. But these f1.2 beasts; too big, heavy and expensive for me. They'd have to be significantly better at large apertures, than the f1.8 versions, for me to even consider them. And given the quality of the f1.8 lenses so far, I can't see how that would even be possible!

Good news on the revised Z’s, will be hard to criticise these new cams. I do hope the dual expeed cpu will give af benefits.

Nice. I generally switch off when people post pics of their pets, but that is a good shot. What lens did you use? And is that with the Animal Eye AF' on?
Thanks!! It was taken with the 35mm f/1.8 G with mounted via the FTZ adapter. I can't remember if I used animal AF or stuck to single point, maybe somebody can tell me how I figure out what I used - file is still on my XQD

Last edited:
I now have a a bit of a deficit when it comes to a wide lens with my 35mm f/1.8g being my widest lens currently. I sold my 24-70 f/2.8 recently due to weight and not really being a great marriage with the z6 making the combo front heavy. I have the hope of buying either the 50mm or the 85mm z mount with the hope to shoot predominantly primes but first I need a wide angle

I've now to make a decision on a wide angle lens, with the hope to take more wide angle photos

I've tried the Sigma 24mm f/1.4 ART which I loved but it's heavy, used the Nikon 24mm f/1.8 g which I wasn't as blown away with, and also see that the Z mount 24mm f/1.8s as an option. The Nikon 14-30mm S being a bit too pricey for what I want to spend. There's also the older 17-55mm f/2.8 although I hear they often have AF / focus ring issues.

What do you guys recommend? Would z mount lenses be the better choice or would old glass be better since I have a D750 as a second body?

Last edited:
I now have a a bit of a deficit when it comes to a wide lens with my 35mm f/1.8g being my widest lens currently. I sold my 24-70 f/2.8 recently due to weight and not really being a great marriage with the z6 making the combo front heavy. I have the hope of buying either the 50mm or the 85mm z mount with the hope to shoot predominantly primes but first I need a wide angle

I've now to make a decision on a wide angle lens, with the hope to take more wide angle photos

I've tried the Sigma 24mm f/1.4 ART which I loved but it's heavy, used the Nikon 24mm f/1.8 g which I wasn't as blown away with, and also see that the Z mount 24mm f/1.8s as an option. The Nikon 14-30mm S being a bit too pricey for what I want to spend. There's also the older 17-55mm f/2.8 although I hear they often have AF / focus ring issues.

What do you guys recommend? Would z mount lenses be the better choice or would old glass be better since I have a D750 as a second body?
I can only commend the 14-30. It’s been on the market long enough to be available used.

you could try the Nikon 20 f1:8 works well on my z6 and d750 small and light it is about £680 good option to use with both systems

Well; my experience with the Z 50mm f1.8, compared to the F mount versions (AI-S and AF-D f1.8s, and the 1.4 AF-G version) showed me that the Z lens is just superior in every way, imo. Absolutely love it. And it feels better quality than the other AF versions, to me. It's such a gorgeous lens. Sharp sharp sharp, very little distortion, CA, flare etc, and lovely 'rendering'/bokeh. I've read really good things about the 85mm too, and am hoping some kind of 135mm will be available at some point. I'm more than happy with my F mount 70-200 with the adapter. As for new lenses; I'll always have that dilemma of F vs Z mount, as long as I have F mount cams (I also have several film SLRs). But I think 'New' lens purchases will probbly be Z mount lenses, and maybe bargain s/h F mount ones.

Last edited:
Well; my experience with the Z 50mm f1.8, compared to the F mount versions (AI-S and AF-D f1.8s, and the 1.4 AF-G version) showed me that the Z lens is just superior in every way, imo. Absolutely love it. And it feels better quality than the other AF versions, to me. It's such a gorgeous lens. Sharp sharp sharp, very little distortion, CA, flare etc, and lovely 'rendering'/bokeh. I've read really good things about the 85mm too, and am hoping some kind of 135mm will be available at some point. I'm more than happy with my F mount 70-200 with the adapter. As for new lenses; I'll always have that dilemma of F vs Z mount, as long as I have F mount cams (I also have several film SLRs). But I think 'New' lens purchases will probbly be Z mount lenses, and maybe bargain s/h F mount ones.

The shots I've seen with the 50mm look exquisite, and with the price of the 50mm being less than the 85mm, I am tempted to go for the 50mm first, and perhaps an f or z mount 85mm at a later date. It would be a nice set up to have a descent zoom at the wide end, the Nikon 35mm I already have, the 50mm z, and an 85mm / 70-200 f2.8 (instead of my f4), and my 300mm which I love.

Before the 50mm, I'll need to get something wide though. The Sigma Art 24mm f/1.4 was uber sharp when I rented it last year from @StewartR at Lensesforhire. I may try the Nikon 17-35mm f2.8 though as having something that has a bit of a wider range would be handy, I've found 24mm just not quite wide enough in certain situations. The 17-35mm does worry me with the issues that commonly crop up with the AF motor and seizing up. Wouldn't want to pay a couple of hundred for something that breaks on me, and 400 seems quite expensive for one that has a high pitched sound on AF (mpb deal). It would be nice if these lenses perform well on the Z6. Anybody tried them?

Taken with the Sigma Art 24mm on the D750
JSC_7101 by Gilbo B, on Flickr

Last edited:
The shots I've seen with the 50mm look exquisite, and with the price of the 50mm being less than the 85mm, I am tempted to go for the 50mm first, and perhaps an f or z mount 85mm at a later date. It would be a nice set up to have a descent zoom at the wide end, the Nikon 35mm I already have, the 50mm z, and an 85mm / 70-200 f2.8 (instead of my f4), and my 300mm which I love.

Before the 50mm, I'll need to get something wide though. The Sigma Art 24mm f/1.4 was uber sharp when I rented it last year from @StewartR at Lensesforhire. I may try the Nikon 17-35mm f2.8 though as having something that has a bit of a wider range would be handy, I've found 24mm just not quite wide enough in certain situations. The 17-35mm does worry me with the issues that commonly crop up with the AF motor and seizing up. Wouldn't want to pay a couple of hundred for something that breaks on me, and 400 seems quite expensive for one that has a high pitched sound on AF (mpb deal). It would be nice if these lenses perform well on the Z6. Anybody tried them?

Well, I have no experience with summat like the 17-35 (I'd really quite like the 14-30mm f4 Z lens), but what about an older MF 24mm, or even 20mm? Focussing is nowhere near as critical with such short focal lengths, and with IBIS, you don't have to worry so much about shutter speed, so the 'slower' f2.8 aperture isn't such a hindrance. Prices of s/h 20mm AF-D versions have come down a fair bit in the last few years. The older AI-S MF versions go for a bit more though. But the optics are all excellent.

I have the 85mm f1.8 AF-D that I use with my D600 and it's been an excellent lens. Haven't tried the AF-S/G version though, and that is sposed to be even better. But then; why not just go the whole hog for the Z version, as that will undoubtedly be better still?

Well, I have no experience with summat like the 17-35 (I'd really quite like the 14-30mm f4 Z lens), but what about an older MF 24mm, or even 20mm? Focussing is nowhere near as critical with such short focal lengths, and with IBIS, you don't have to worry so much about shutter speed, so the 'slower' f2.8 aperture isn't such a hindrance. Prices of s/h 20mm AF-D versions have come down a fair bit in the last few years. The older AI-S MF versions go for a bit more though. But the optics are all excellent.

I have the 85mm f1.8 AF-D that I use with my D600 and it's been an excellent lens. Haven't tried the AF-S/G version though, and that is sposed to be even better. But then; why not just go the whole hog for the Z version, as that will undoubtedly be better still?

That might be worth considering for the 20mm I think I should be looking at something with reliable AF. I just saw @Luftwalk has the Sigma 24-35mm ART which I didn't know existed, and the photos produced by the lens look stunningly sharp on the D750, even sharper than the Sigma 24mm f/1.4 ART. Perhaps that's something I should consider in favour of my 35mm - which will reduce the number of lenses.

How do you find the Sigma 24-35mm ART on the Z6 @Luftwalk

Hey @gilbouk

The 24-35/2 is a great lens, if you use it for stills only. If not, then you will need an external microphone since the AF is noisy and it will get picked up on the video. It's a big lens as well, weighs about 1kg and is basically equal in size to the 24-70/2.8.

Apart from the flaws mentioned, it's fantastic. It's sharp, contrasty and can be had for a solid price used. You get the added benefit of IBIS with Z cameras, which makes it possible to handhold to around 0.5 secs.

A few photos from the Z6 here:

Note the ISO on the B&W photo in Idria Mine album.

My initial thoughts were to use the 24-35 with the 50/1.8 S lens and not buy the kit 24-70/4. But to be honest, the kit is so damn useful and good I bought it anyway.

Hey @gilbouk

The 24-35/2 is a great lens, if you use it for stills only. If not, then you will need an external microphone since the AF is noisy and it will get picked up on the video. It's a big lens as well, weighs about 1kg and is basically equal in size to the 24-70/2.8.

Apart from the flaws mentioned, it's fantastic. It's sharp, contrasty and can be had for a solid price used. You get the added benefit of IBIS with Z cameras, which makes it possible to handhold to around 0.5 secs.

A few photos from the Z6 here:

Note the ISO on the B&W photo in Idria Mine album.

My initial thoughts were to use the 24-35 with the 50/1.8 S lens and not buy the kit 24-70/4. But to be honest, the kit is so damn useful and good I bought it anyway.

It is fantastic judging by your photos!! Even with the High ISO at Idria Mine. The weight does put me off though lol. Argh!! I just love the sharpness though.

And is that with the Animal Eye AF' on?

Yes, figured out I did have it on at the time for this photo :). The Eye & Animal AF really makes moving subjects a breeze to shoot. I did hear though that the new Canon cameras release today have Bird AF

Nice BIF @Stephen L :)
Jokes aside, nice photos, especially enjoy the first one. How does the 24-200 handle?

Nice BIF @Stephen L :)
Jokes aside, nice photos, especially enjoy the first one. How does the 24-200 handle?
It feels well-balanced although you (I) notice its extra weight over the 24-70. Possibly because I’ve still not got my strength back after cancer. On mine at least, the zoom is, well, not stiff but quite firm. But smooth and steady. Enough to easily keep it at the selected focal length. The zoom lock at 24mm is unnecessary in my opinion case as there is no creep even when holding it lens-down. All it does is annoy me when I inevitably forget to unlock it. Autofocus is smooth and quick, though for my useage anything is fast enough. IS at 200mm is not as good as I expected, but this may improve with practice.

Last edited:
I find my zoom creeps when I walk with the camera on my shoulder so I’m grateful for the lock.

I find my zoom creeps when I walk with the camera on my shoulder so I’m grateful for the lock.
I wonder if it’s down to production tolerances? My zoom is bordering on the stiff, and never moved yesterday in Morecambe (can’t say I blame it!).

Lovely set of images Stephen, I've only been to Morecambe once since Frontierland closed, think it's a Morrisons now.
That’s where we parked. Morecambe is a little “tired” now. When I was a nipper we went regularly, but even the railway station has moved.

Do liked "Beached" - a nice moody shot. Any general observations on the IQ yet?

basically you have to decide which focal length you need. If you can't decide, then I would endorse Stephen's suggestion of the 14-30. There is in fact a second hand one in my local camera shop. If you can decide and want an UWA fixed then third party options are cheaper and Irix (which I went for) is more reliable in getting a decent copy than Samyang. Otherwise, I'd stick with the native lenses with the obvious choice being the 20 or 24 f1.8's. If they're too pricey then you're looking legacy with so many choices I wouldn't know where to start!

Back