Nikon Z* mirrorless

What TC would I be best considering for a Z6 that I’m mounting a Tamron 70-200 with an FTZ on? Slightly confused!
I would guess at one attached to the Tamron. Rather than attached to the body. But I’m not sure as I hate the things!

Looking for a bit of advice please.

I'm going to pick up a Z6 but my issue is with lenses. The 24-70 kit lens would be an ideal focal length for me for landscapes and woodlands for just now until I can afford to get more lenses but I'm wondering if there's a better combination in the F lenses instead? If there was I'd buy a Z6 with FTZ adapter and an F lens. Can anyone give me their thoughts please. I've never really been with NIkon before as shot with Canon/Fuji so unsure of the glass.

I'm going to pick up a Z6 but my issue is with lenses. The 24-70 kit lens would be an ideal focal length for me for landscapes and woodlands for just now until I can afford to get more lenses but I'm wondering if there's a better combination in the F lenses instead? If there was I'd buy a Z6 with FTZ adapter and an F lens. Can anyone give me their thoughts please. I've never really been with NIkon before as shot with Canon/Fuji so unsure of the glass.
The "kit" 24-70mm f4 is a cracking lens, the f2.8 S is a step up again. You'll be hard pressed to find a F-mount alternative that's as good.

The "kit" 24-70mm f4 is a cracking lens, the f2.8 S is a step up again. You'll be hard pressed to find a F-mount alternative that's as good.

Thanks for the quick reply. Seems as if I'll just go for that combo just now then. Never had a XQD card before but £100+ for a memory card better bloody make me coffee when I'm cold and wet outside lol

No F mount alternative, it’s either the 24-120mm f4 or 24-70mm f2.8 both of which are bigger and heavier, and then even more so with the adapter fitted. The 24-70mm f4 is a superb lens, except for the slight annoyance of having to extend it to use it.

Is the FTZ mount worth getting then? I'll be coming to this system as new. The line up of S lenses look decent. I'm wondering how much I'd actually use it.

Is the FTZ mount worth getting then? I'll be coming to this system as new. The line up of S lenses look decent. I'm wondering how much I'd actually use it.
It’s worth getting if you plan on using f mount lenses, but if Z mount has the lenses you want and you can afford them then there’s no point getting the adapter. That being said if you buy it in a bundle then it’s usually pretty cheap and worth getting ‘just in case’.

It’s worth getting if you plan on using f mount lenses, but if Z mount has the lenses you want and you can afford them then there’s no point getting the adapter. That being said if you buy it in a bundle then it’s usually pretty cheap and worth getting ‘just in case’.
:plus1:

OK so I just looked at the lines Z lenses again as I never really paid attention to the price and I will be getting be adapter haha geez, maybe I should stick to Fuji ;). Thanks for the help folks. Now to order.

Last edited:
OK so I just looked at the lines Z lenses again as I never really paid attention to the price and I will be getting be adapter haha geez, maybe I should stick to Fuji ;). Thanks for the help folks. Now to order.
The z lenses are expensive. I'm hoping to buy my first one soon but have been extremely happy with my existing f mounts - other than the focus noise which might be a problem if you plan to shoot video - particularly with older f mount lenses. I think my z6 actuates the motor more than my D750

The z lenses are expensive. I'm hoping to buy my first one soon but have been extremely happy with my existing f mounts - other than the focus noise which might be a problem if you plan to shoot video - particularly with older f mount lenses. I think my z6 actuates the motor more than my D750

There's focus noise even on the newer lenses? I won't be doing video. I'll be using it for landscapes so dont need speed either but I saw they updated the FW with 3.0 which addresses some of those issues.

There's focus noise even on the newer lenses? I won't be doing video. I'll be using it for landscapes so dont need speed either but I saw they updated the FW with 3.0 which addresses some of those issues.
Z lenses are much quieter from my experience, but I’ve never used a lens that is completely silent.

Well if you're shooting video properly*, then you'll be using a proper mic/sound recording set up, rather than relying on the built-in mic. So then it's easier to avoid any cam/lens noise. The Z lenses are pretty bloody quiet though, I have to say.

*Ie, doing a proper 'production' rather than a family holiday video, where tbh a bit of cam/lens noise wouldn't matter one jot.

Not using mine for video and I don't mind a bit of focus noise. Yeah, from what I've heard the z mounts are much quieter. Just thought I'd mention it incase YoshiK was planning to use f mounts for casual video

Last edited:
with the z6 if you use the electronic shutter does this register on the number of actuations ?

Last edited:
I've almost given up on the eye-af as I find it unreliable, especially in overcast/lower contrast days.
Any improvement in it with the most recent firmware?
I found it more reliable than focusing and recomposing due to limitations of the selectable area on the D750 - I was able to focus on composition more

Just got my hands on the Z7 and 24-70 kit lens after trading in my D810 and other AF-s lenses, wish I'd kept my 70-200f4 though, on the look out for a mint 70-200 f2.8 now!

DSC_0055.jpg

Had a trip to WEX the other day ..... looks like I'm in the club.
Also means I shall be visiting the Classifieds soon with some items for sale!

what took you up to Aberdeenshire? I like your New Slains Silver Efex Pro the most as well
My nephew lives up there near Huntly. He was an army doctor/colonel who worked from home. He took his pension and carried on doing the same job for the army but as a civvy!

Decided yesterday to spend a day in the pre alps, 1st stop, whip Z6 out, goes to turn it on and the on/off dial is very stiff but it turned on, done this a few times so decided to leave it turned on for the day, no problem as it goes to sleep after a min.
Looks like a repair job and a week or so with no Z6 [emoji30][emoji30][emoji30]

Decided yesterday to spend a day in the pre alps, 1st stop, whip Z6 out, goes to turn it on and the on/off dial is very stiff but it turned on, done this a few times so decided to leave it turned on for the day, no problem as it goes to sleep after a min.
Looks like a repair job and a week or so with no Z6 [emoji30][emoji30][emoji30]
I guess it’s not something simple like a build up of dust/debris?

I guess it’s not something simple like a build up of dust/debris?
No, Iv`e always felt it was a little sticky from day 1

Back