Nikon Z* mirrorless

Last edited:
Something a bit different from my usual photos of dogs....
Caught the mouflon peaking at me during my hike up a mountain and when I came to the clearing I happened upon a herd of fallow deer, which were really quite comfortable with me walking around and taking photos...

Stalking me by luftwalk, on Flickr

Fallow Deer by luftwalk, on Flickr

Calling the herd by luftwalk, on Flickr

Goodbye by luftwalk, on Flickr

What non nikon flashes are people using, Dont want to break the bank for the amount it will get used, as my nissin di866 doesn't work on the z6. But would like something half sharp

What non nikon flashes are people using, Dont want to break the bank for the amount it will get used, as my nissin di866 doesn't work on the z6. But would like something half sharp
I use a Voking VK800, looks like the nikon SB900, works fine on my Z6, It also has TTL.

Back to my earlier post, my Z6 is in the hands of Nikon now, I do hope they deal with the repair fast.
On/off switch sticky, it`s costing Panamoz 365 euros.

I'm using Hahnel Modus 360RT with my Z7, not expensive, perfectly good build, and it works very easily. Downside is USB charging but it does charge fairly quickly and I'm sure there are work arounds by using a separate USB charger and another battery.

DSC_0087.JPGSo I bought a Z 7 last month. And this week I added an AF-P 70-300. This morning was my first outing. And this insect is straight from the camera, uncropped. I am one happy camper.

My 2p. I've seen the Z7 and can say that it is a horrible little thing from the ergonomics point of view. I'm sure it can produce amazing output, but seriously what dope were they smoking sculpting that toy? Who in their sane mind wants to hold a camera with 3 fingers?! I think Canons are more sensibly sized but can't confirm at the moment.

The EVF is also surprisingly awful. As soon as you move the camera everything becomes a blurry awful mess. How can you work with this toy?!

Nikon badly needs to release an upgrade that resembles a real camera.

My 2p. I've seen the Z7 and can say that it is a horrible little thing from the ergonomics point of view. I'm sure it can produce amazing output, but seriously what dope were they smoking sculpting that toy? Who in their sane mind wants to hold a camera with 3 fingers?! I think Canons are more sensibly sized but can't confirm at the moment.

The EVF is also surprisingly awful. As soon as you move the camera everything becomes a blurry awful mess. How can you work with this toy?!

Have to disagree with you there, all my fingers grip my z6 (same body shape as z7 as far as I am aware) - and I find it no less comfortable compared to my D750. I find the EVF a more precise instrument to work with compared to an OVF providing a lot more information, and I haven't found the EVF lacking compared to the X-H1 for example. Different technologies have different pros and cons, and there is always going to be some delay with EVF

Last edited:
Are you a troll? If not then obviously this is your opinion and you're entitled to it. Many disagree with yourself, myself included.
I find the hand holding of both the Z6 and Z7 to be great and I've large hands. To aid me further I added a GABALE QR L Bracket to my Z6 for when I'm using very large lenses.
As for the EVF, try moving your head and see if things get blurry (that's motion blur). The EVF's are very capable.
This clearly isn't the camera for you, so you should look elsewhere. I've no problem capturing great images with it, it could be the user and not the camera.

Z7 is the best camera I‘ve ever held from an ergonomics point of view, certainly no toy. IIRC there’s a setting to change the EVF refresh rate, I could pan with little to no blurring.

You do realise you’re bad mouthing something people on here have spent a large investment on and won’t appreciate your comments? I can see why some think you may be trolling (y)

Last edited:
Z7 is the best camera I‘ve ever held from an ergonomics point of view, certainly no toy. IIRC there’s a setting to change the EVF refresh rate, I could pan with little to no blurring.

You do realise you’re bad mouthing something people on here have spent a large investment on and won’t appreciate your comments? I can see why some think you may be trolling (y)

Nah, this is a message to Nikon. I'm sure they are reading forums as market research.

What they made is unacceptable to me by a long margin.

Message to you - go out and enjoy your camera if you are happy. This thread is likely of little value to you

Nah, this is a message to Nikon. I'm sure they are reading forums as market research.

What they made is unacceptable to me by a long margin.

Message to you - go out and enjoy your camera if you are happy. This thread is likely of little value to you
I'm not sure they do tbh, I've never seen them do anything about issues that people moan about on here, or other forums tbh ;)

I like this thread, I like to keep up to date with the Nikon mirrorless system as I think it's got great potential and I was happy with the Z7 for the most part (y)

With a few tweaks to the af settings and lowered the fps not to the top one. I seem to be doing ok with birds in flight. Yes it could be faster af, but you just have to change your style of photography. Just like with the d500 i found anything over 6400 iso was shocking but people think its the best camera in the world.

I had to run and find my Z7 just to make sure I wasn't dreaming. Three fingers around the front of the grip where the camera is supported by the bulge at the top, one over the top for the shutter, and one at the back on the thumb grip, and all sported on the palm of the hand? A variation could be two fingers around the front grip and the little finger underneath. How else do you hold a camera? And the EVF does not become a blurry mess when you move the camera. You've not used it so you must have read something somewhere, so can you add a link?

I had to run and find my Z7 just to make sure I wasn't dreaming. Three fingers around the front of the grip where the camera is supported by the bulge at the top, one over the top for the shutter, and one at the back on the thumb grip, and all sported on the palm of the hand? A variation could be two fingers around the front grip and the little finger underneath. How else do you hold a camera? And the EVF does not become a blurry mess when you move the camera. You've not used it so you must have read something somewhere, so can you add a link?
I think the poster was once bitten by a Nikon. Ignore him.

Two fingers around front and two hanging down in thin air. That's not cool. 5d nearly accommodates all 4, but obviously 1dx / d6 are a perfection. It makes no sense to design a perfect shape and then bin it for a kids size. Perhaps next cars will come with 1/2 size steering wheel

Yes I used it, but clearly have no intention of purchasing now. VF was a mess outside. Only when holding it supper still it was somehow sharp. I think you may have adapted to ignore its drawbacks. It tops at 60hz so that is actually not surprising at all. The mk 2 better be coming soon.

looked on mob for a z6 or z7 plenty to choose from but no shutter count on any of them
so made an enquires why no shutter count here is there excuse sorry i mean reply
is this true ?? surely not

Hello there
For certain mirrorless camera systems there unfortunately isn’t a reliable way to get a shutter count without returning to the manufacturer directly.

We advise to check the cosmetic condition of the equipment, as this gives a fairly accurate indication of the overall use. All of the used equipment on our site is photographed individually so you're able to see exactly what you'll be purchasing.
It is worth noting that we provide a 14 day returns period and 6 month warranty on all used kit and if you have any further queries please do not hesitate to get in contact, we would be happy to help.

looked on mob for a z6 or z7 plenty to choose from but no shutter count on any of them
so made an enquires why no shutter count here is there excuse sorry i mean reply
is this true ?? surely not

Hello there
For certain mirrorless camera systems there unfortunately isn’t a reliable way to get a shutter count without returning to the manufacturer directly.

We advise to check the cosmetic condition of the equipment, as this gives a fairly accurate indication of the overall use. All of the used equipment on our site is photographed individually so you're able to see exactly what you'll be purchasing.
It is worth noting that we provide a 14 day returns period and 6 month warranty on all used kit and if you have any further queries please do not hesitate to get in contact, we would be happy to help.
Interesting point. I've had a look on my Z6 and I cannot find any reference to shutter count. However, in the back of my mind I seem to think there is some software or web site whereby you load an image and it reads the "hidden" part of the exif.

Interesting point. I've had a look on my Z6 and I cannot find any reference to shutter count. However, in the back of my mind I seem to think there is some software or web site whereby you load an image and it reads the "hidden" part of the exif.

on my MacBook i can tell the shutter count from Inspector

I can appreciate that such a large camera needs four fingers to grip it, but which Canon accessory would I need to press the shutter?

My thoughts exactly SWB
Typical Canon function in my mind - 4 fingers and a thmub needed to hold the thing, leaving nothing left to trigger the shutter! Tsk

Reactions: SWB
My thoughts exactly SWB
Typical Canon function in my mind - 4 fingers and a thmub needed to hold the thing, leaving nothing left to trigger the shutter! Tsk
I’m not sure cameras that weigh 1.5kg are perfection either.

The EVF definitely doesn't blur when you are moving the camera about. I can get all 4 fingers round the grip when I hold it, and I've got big hands. Certainly not a toy and absolutely a real camera!

Anyway I seem to remember you being quite impressed with it when you saw mine in a field when we bumped into each other recently!

I’m not sure cameras that weigh 1.5kg are perfection either.

It doesn't need to weigh 1.5kg to retain the shape, but personally that wouldn't bother me too much if it means indestructible. When you mount big 2.8 zoom you need the package to be balanced rather super front heavy. I believe Canon is getting some flack for overheating issue, which could have been solved by making body bigger (taller? and wider?) and including a fan in the extra space. That would have pleased them and me (for size on this occasion). It's a £4.2k camera for crying out loud. At least the nikon now costs a small fraction of that so you could perhaps look at it more forgivingly. P.S. There are Canon EF-Z adapters so its not so crazy thought.

My thoughts exactly SWB

You can lift and operate the index finger... The other 3 and thumb firmly in place make that rather easy and thoughtless.

The EVF definitely doesn't blur when you are moving the camera about.

Interesting. Is there a setting that would cause it to behave like that or a bad default? Perhaps I will never be able to accept obviously digital substitute for a real view although on paper this is now very outdated evf spec with 120Hz and 1600x1200 being the current norm (but personally I thought we should be at 4k or 1080p min!).

Anyway I seem to remember you being quite impressed with it when you saw mine in a field when we bumped into each other recently!

I don't think I got to expect any closely and properly until this one. Was it even me?? I am obviously impressed with their output and video spec, etc. Nothing wrong with expecting the whole package to be perfectly designed.

It doesn't need to weigh 1.5kg to retain the shape, but personally that wouldn't bother me too much if it means indestructible. When you mount big 2.8 zoom you need the package to be balanced rather super front heavy. I believe Canon is getting some flack for overheating issue, which could have been solved by making body bigger (taller? and wider?) and including a fan in the extra space. That would have pleased them and me (for size on this occasion). It's a £4.2k camera for crying out loud. At least the nikon now costs a small fraction of that so you could perhaps look at it more forgivingly. P.S. There are Canon EF-Z adapters so its not so crazy thought.

You can lift and operate the index finger... The other 3 and thumb firmly in place make that rather easy and thoughtless.

Interesting. Is there a setting that would cause it to behave like that or a bad default? Perhaps I will never be able to accept obviously digital substitute for a real view although on paper this is now very outdated evf spec with 120Hz and 1600x1200 being the current norm (but personally I thought we should be at 4k or 1080p min!).

I don't think I got to expect any closely and properly until this one. Was it even me?? I am obviously impressed with their output and video spec, etc. Nothing wrong with expecting the whole package to be perfectly designed.
Clearly you don’t like the Z’s which is fine but it does seem that you are in the minority unfortunately for you so I can’t see Nikon changing it any time soon (y)

You appear to have a different calculation of the number of fingers a Canon photographer has compared to a Nikon photographer. Maybe that is the point you are making, the Nikon photographer can use three fingers to hold the camera and one for the shutter, but the Canon photographer needs four fingers and an extra one for the shutter. It's not unknown in small communities for this to occur.

This is one handy site:

I fed it some Z6 sample images from here:

and it was able to read the shutter count.

It's true that not all cameras record this count in image metadata (e.g. some Canon dSLRs don't; I don't know about their mirrorless bodies).

Last edited:
Has anyone else having issues with there autofocus on the z6?

There is a slim possibility it is down to technique but mine doesnt seem to ever get a pin sharp image.

Has anyone else having issues with there autofocus on the z6?

There is a slim possibility it is down to technique but mine doesnt seem to ever get a pin sharp image.

can’t say I’ve had that issue. I’d recommend attaching to a tripod and taking some test shots wide open and see if the issue persists. Which combo are you using? Are you placing the focus spot on the desired subject? Also have you tried with different lenses?

Back