Nikon Z* mirrorless

after more than 8 years of us each trying, generally successfully, to persuade the other that our system was the best at the time, it's a shame to see a parting of the ways as I don't see myself going down the Sony route though one never knows (and I'll drop into that forum from time to time to see what you're up to). I don't think I need a second XQD card at the moment though
Oh, dinna fash yersel, David! There's no way I would suggest that Sony is better than Nikon. I was more than pleased with the results from my Z6. I was less than pleased with the fatigue I felt after carrying it a few miles. That's more to do with my (lack of) stamina following my treatment. But I am happy that I find Sony's APS-C to be adequate for my purposes. The reduced weight, and as importantly bulk from lack of a pentaprism-like hump, mean that I'm more likely to use my camera. And that's what it's all about. :);)

fash -- naw :) 'Twas just a bit of banter. Just means I will now have to strain myself looking at a new thread as well as this one.

Hi All,

I'm hoping some of you will help me make up my mind!! I seem to be going round in circles.

I have a D7100 which I have had for 5 years and have decided that I have now outgrown it and its time for a new camera :D Lens wise I have an AF-S 18-140, AF-S 70-300 and an AF-S 50mm 1.8. My main gripe with the D7100 is the poor ISO. I like taking wildlife pictures but also do quite a lot of table top/close up stuff. I'll attached a couple of recent images.

I had alway thought my next camera would be D500 but now I'm not sure.

I've looked at the D7200 or 7300 but these feel like a bit of a sideways move rather than a step up.

I looked at the Z50 but though this is a move to mirrorless and there would be several improvements, the reviews seem to class this as a mid range, more like the D5*00 range which seems then like a down grade :rolleyes:

And then along comes the Z6!!

New prices there is not a lot of difference btwn the D500 and the Z6. At the moment there would be no spare cash for any new lenses. Though on Panamoz I can get the Z6 camera, mount and 24-70 for the top of my budget.

So the questions are :

Do I go for the D500 either new or secondhand and stop at that.
Do I just wait for the DX mirrorless to improve or get the second hand D500 as an interim.
Do I go mad and get the Z6 and will it be ok with the lenses I have until I win the lottery and can afford some z mount lenses.

To me this is a big move and will have to be the last for quite a long time, so want to get it right.

I'll wait to be bombarded with lots of conflicting replies :ROFLMAO: Thanks in advance
DSC_8658.jpgDandylion1.jpgJoker ResizeWM.jpgPOTC ResizeWM.jpgDSC_7239.jpg

You could as the D500 is a great camera, I had it and enjoyed using it. Second hand ones don't come round often as it's great for wildlife/birds in flight and sport.

Do I just wait for the DX mirrorless to improve or get the second hand D500 as an interim.
The next DX mirrorless is rumoured to be below the Z50 in specs, I have the Z50 and enjoy using it, it's no D500 though.

Do I go mad and get the Z6 and will it be ok with the lenses I have until I win the lottery and can afford some z mount lenses.
The lenses will work just as well on the Z6 via a FTZ as they would on a DSLR, if you have any DX lenses these will force the Z6 into DX mode and give you roughly 10 Megapixels, FX lenses are best on the Z6. I have the Z6 and enjoy using it.

I had the D500, I preferred macro, it was ok ish for that, maybe overkill, I took some bird shots but wasn't really that happy with most of the shots, probably user error. I now have the Z6, I feel its sharper than the D500, I've not really had too much chance to get any BIF shots but for me it feels better in the hand (just me I guess) but for me it's a overall much better camera although I've not done any night shots as yet so I can't comment on the low ISO quality but yes its supposed to be good, my old D500 was total pants with ISO above 400.

Hi All,

I'm hoping some of you will help me make up my mind!! I seem to be going round in circles.

I have a D7100 which I have had for 5 years and have decided that I have now outgrown it and its time for a new camera :D Lens wise I have an AF-S 18-140, AF-S 70-300 and an AF-S 50mm 1.8. My main gripe with the D7100 is the poor ISO. I like taking wildlife pictures but also do quite a lot of table top/close up stuff. I'll attached a couple of recent images.

I had alway thought my next camera would be D500 but now I'm not sure.

I've looked at the D7200 or 7300 but these feel like a bit of a sideways move rather than a step up.

I looked at the Z50 but though this is a move to mirrorless and there would be several improvements, the reviews seem to class this as a mid range, more like the D5*00 range which seems then like a down grade :rolleyes:

And then along comes the Z6!!

New prices there is not a lot of difference btwn the D500 and the Z6. At the moment there would be no spare cash for any new lenses. Though on Panamoz I can get the Z6 camera, mount and 24-70 for the top of my budget.

So the questions are :

To me this is a big move and will have to be the last for quite a long time, so want to get it right.

I'll wait to be bombarded with lots of conflicting replies :ROFLMAO: Thanks in advance
View attachment 293655View attachment 293656View attachment 293657View attachment 293658View attachment 293659

For wildlife - definitely the D500. It's much more responsive AF and is better suited for fast moving subjects. I had some fantastic results with my D500, so much so I've been thinking about getting it again to quench my desire for my love for birds.

HSC_2061p by Gilbo B, on Flickr
Female Blackbird by Gilbo B, on Flickr
HSC_0767 by Gilbo B, on Flickr

You could as the D500 is a great camera, I had it and enjoyed using it. Second hand ones don't come round often as it's great for wildlife/birds in flight and sport.

The next DX mirrorless is rumoured to be below the Z50 in specs, I have the Z50 and enjoy using it, it's no D500 though.

The lenses will work just as well on the Z6 via a FTZ as they would on a DSLR, if you have any DX lenses these will force the Z6 into DX mode and give you roughly 10 Megapixels, FX lenses are best on the Z6. I have the Z6 and enjoy using it.
Thanks wilt, might be a long wait for a better spec dx mirrorless then

I had the D500, I preferred macro, it was ok ish for that, maybe overkill, I took some bird shots but wasn't really that happy with most of the shots, probably user error. I now have the Z6, I feel its sharper than the D500, I've not really had too much chance to get any BIF shots but for me it feels better in the hand (just me I guess) but for me it's a overall much better camera although I've not done any night shots as yet so I can't comment on the low ISO quality but yes its supposed to be good, my old D500 was total pants with ISO above 400.
Thanks Graham, thats my big problem with the D7100. The noise is ridiculous [emoji58]

For wildlife - definitely the D500. It's much more responsive AF and is better suited for fast moving subjects. I had some fantastic results with my D500, so much so I've been thinking about getting it again to quench my desire for my love for birds.

HSC_2061p by Gilbo B, on Flickr
Female Blackbird by Gilbo B, on Flickr
HSC_0767 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
Lovely shots! How do you find the noise in low light?

I sold my D850 and purchased a Z7 to keep the resolution and picked up a second hand D500 as I used to have one prior to D850 and miss the frame rate and focusing for fast moving birds in flight etc but time will tell if I regret it but so far the few quick tests the Z7 seems lovely, reassuringly solid and heavier than I expected in such a compact body.

Well my 24-200 arrived today, hopefully will be getting out this afternoon to have a play. First impressions are great - small, solidly built, and the VR seems good.

Another great experience from e-infinity - ordered on Monday, delivered today :)

Lovely shots! How do you find the noise in low light?

Yes, not so good. I remember only heading out with the combo on particularly good days. Dull and overcast winter days didn’t bring home any keepers I’m afraid. That was one of the main reasons I moved over to the D750 as I changed my direction in photography more towards Weddings. Scottish venues are notoriously dark and my D500 just didn’t cut it. The D850 would be the ultimate for wildlife as you have the benefits of the features of the D500 with benefits of better ISO performance in a full frame body. I do use my Z6 for wildlife occasionally but most of my keepers are of slow moving swans, ducks and things that stay relatively still. The sharpness with native glass is astounding but unfortunately no affordable native z glass for wildlife and I’m not sure if they will.

Last edited:
After hearing about the announcement of the new z6s with a CFExpress card slot and an SD card slot - would be it wise to buy CFExpress cards as opposed to XQD cards for my Z6 with XQD cards being phased out of future releases? Anybody using CFExpress cards with their Z6 / Z7 currently?

After hearing about the announcement of the new z6s with a CFExpress card slot and an SD card slot - would be it wise to buy CFExpress cards as opposed to XQD cards for my Z6 with XQD cards being phased out of future releases? Anybody using CFExpress cards with their Z6 / Z7 currently?

I didn't realise it had been announced. All I've seen so far are rumours.

Yes, not so good. I remember only heading out with the combo on particularly good days. Dull and overcast winter days didn’t bring home any keepers I’m afraid. That was one of the main reasons I moved over to the D750 as I changed my direction in photography more towards Weddings. Scottish venues are notoriously dark and my D500 just didn’t cut it. The D850 would be the ultimate for wildlife as you have the benefits of the features of the D500 with benefits of better ISO performance in a full frame body. I do use my Z6 for wildlife occasionally but most of my keepers are of slow moving swans, ducks and things that stay relatively still. The sharpness with native glass is astounding but unfortunately no affordable native z glass for wildlife and I’m not sure if they will.
Thank you Gil, I live on the Isle of Man and we too have more dull days than sunny ones! Although it is amazingly beautiful when its sunny :D The worst thing is we have no real camera shops here and a trip to the UK is impossible at the moment. We have to do a 14 day quarantine/isolation on return but this means we are covid free and can carry on life as normal!

I might have to ask around at home and see if anyone has a D500 they can let me have play with!! Thanks very much for the info :D

Would anyone want to trade/deal primes? I've got the 50mm and it's stunning, but I'd love to try the 85 or possibly the 35.

In fairness I'd also love to try the 14-30.

You must have a bad copy as I shot wildlife and sports with a D500 and have had cracking results from both up to 6400iso.

You must have a bad copy as I shot wildlife and sports with a D500 and have had cracking results from both up to 6400iso.
Noise is subjective and what's acceptable to one might not be acceptable to the other (y)

Shooting at f5.6 with descent shutter speed on a dull day and my ISO would be way higher. A bit of cropping and the noise would be too noticeable for me.

Gil, what are you shooting?
I was shooting birds with the Nikon D500 and 200-500mm, less so now though as have been pursuing photography professionally and don't have as much time these days. No longer have the D500 and 200-500. I was quite critical about the pictures I kept, and after reviewing the ones I have on Flickr it seems that I wasn't keeping many photos with ISOs above 1000 on the D500. I took so many photos and for the ones I kept - they had to be good. I love seeing feather detail and too high and ISO would just destroy that on the smaller birds, particularly when cropping

Last edited:
Does anybody use the Z6 for Weddings? I've been finding the face and eye autodetect not quite strong enough to rely on for the processional and recessional and have been using single point AF-C instead. How have others found it? For portrait work it's great though once you get it to engage

Your only answer is FF I think. I shot sports professionally for 20+ years and did wildlife as a hobby. I still cover some sport now and am club photographer for a National League rugby club. When I started it was still film pushing 800asa(iso) film up to 3200iso for stadiums that had 6 candles to light them and ended up with pics with golf ball sized grain so that may be why I accept a D500 @6400 as being fine. People tend to forget what it was like with film.

Back