Nikon Z* mirrorless

Hi all, new here but joined as I recently resurrected my Olympus OM1 and OM2. I also have a D200 that I've not used much for a good few years but although I love my OMs I am not sure how much longer I'll be able to continue with the developing and scanning rigmarole.

So, I guess a new digital camera would make sense and while I have more Zuiko lenses than I do Nikkors it still makes sense that I utilise the Nikkors if possible and hence I'm here and considering a Z6. I realise in this section that will be a good choice but should I wait and see what happens with Z6ii?

I am not really one to chase the latest and greatest as I realise, with digital at least, it's a never ending game but as it's so close will the Z6ii changes be worthwhile in the opinion of folk that are using current Z6? I see dual slots, improved face recognition (with dual processor) blah blah....

Thanks in advance...

Hi all, new here but joined as I recently resurrected my Olympus OM1 and OM2. I also have a D200 that I've not used much for a good few years but although I love my OMs I am not sure how much longer I'll be able to continue with the developing and scanning rigmarole.

So, I guess a new digital camera would make sense and while I have more Zuiko lenses than I do Nikkors it still makes sense that I utilise the Nikkors if possible and hence I'm here and considering a Z6. I realise in this section that will be a good choice but should I wait and see what happens with Z6ii?

I am not really one to chase the latest and greatest as I realise, with digital at least, it's a never ending game but as it's so close will the Z6ii changes be worthwhile in the opinion of folk that are using current Z6? I see dual slots, improved face recognition (with dual processor) blah blah....

Thanks in advance...

So close to the announcement of the Z6II and Z7II it would be best to wait. Even if the Z6 would do what you want, the price should fall once the new cameras are out there.
Just be careful with any old Nikkor lenses as they may not work correctly with the Z bodies, something you'd have to check first if your thinking of going the Z route.

Thanks, that's what I'm thinking of doing as , like you say, if I go Z6 there will probably be savings to be had. However, pricing aside (as I can work out if that is worth it to me separately), do you think the improvements of the Z6II are significant enough to make a difference in real terms? I suppose what I'm asking is, there have been many times in history where the Version 1.0 of something was crying out for V2, is that true in any way for the Z6?

Thanks, that's what I'm thinking of doing as , like you say, if I go Z6 there will probably be savings to be had. However, pricing aside (as I can work out if that is worth it to me separately), do you think the improvements of the Z6II are significant enough to make a difference in real terms? I suppose what I'm asking is, there have been many times in history where the Version 1.0 of something was crying out for V2, is that true in any way for the Z6?
Yes, the Z6 is an excellent camera but I've found it's autofocus a bit behind the top end DSLR'S that I moved from. Hopefully they improve it, the shutter delay and evf refresh rate. Along with the second card slot and fully functioning battery grip. I love the feel of the Z series so I hope it keeps the same form factor.

Thanks for that, it sounds like the Z6II will be worth consideration, will just have to wait and see what that consideration costs.....

I am not sure if Nikon Rumours' comment is supposed to be tongue in cheek but I pretty much expected that and then some :D

Hi all,
I received my replacement Z6 last week and an new Macro lens (Sigma 105) just because I lost AF with the Tokina. I really prefer AF with Macro shots.
Here is a shot I took today of a Jumping spider (Menemerus semilimbatus)
I really love how this Camera gives such a clear shot compared to my old D500.

Menemerus semilimbatus (m) by Provence Photography 83, on Flickr

It’s not that version 1 was bad. It’s not, it’s a good camera but when the competition is great it’s hard to recommend a Z, version 2 should bring it up to the standards of the competition though and close the gap.

It’s not that version 1 was bad. It’s not, it’s a good camera but when the competition is great it’s hard to recommend a Z, version 2 should bring it up to the standards of the competition though and close the gap.

Thank you but what are the standards it has to meet and what's its competition in your view?

Thank you but what are the standards it has to meet and what's its competition in your view?
Well imo to be taken seriously it should never have had one card slot, no ‘grip’ and the autofocus wasn’t up to the Sony A7mk3’s.

Im pretty convinced the mk2 will take it where it needs to be but I’m not convinced it will do enough to turn Nikon’s fortunes around.

The Z6 and Z7 are great cameras and capable of shooting most things. At first release they weren't great but with firmware updates Nikon made them into very good cameras and are capable of satisfying the needs of most. However, there are a few areas where they lack behind the competition (A7III, A7RIV, Canon R5, higher end DSLRs). These are single memory card, AF (especially eye-af) not quite as good, frame rate, and the inability to use a proper functional battery grip. Not much to improve on so I expect the gen 2's to be right up there.

To be honest my opinion of my Z6 and Z7, is that for a very first full frame mirrorless offering from Nikon, I think they got an awful lot right. Handling and ergonomics, menus, EVF, and crucially image quality were all superb straight out of the box, which was pretty impressive for a first iteration product.

The AF was never terrible and was even quite good (just works differently from DLSR's) and was improved with subsequent firmware updates, it's just that against it's current peers in the Mirrorless world it's not the best - think Sony really has that award. There's been a lot said about the single card slot, but using XQD cards, it has never worried me as an amateur, but can understand how a professional (e.g. a wedding photographer) would want the assurity of the backup feature of the other card slot.

For me about the only thing Nikon got really wrong was the battery grip. As a means to make the camera bigger and more stable (for shooting with longer lenses), mine work great, and having the added extra battery onboard means I get a whole days shooting without having to worry about batteries, but not having any electrical contacts for vertical shooting control etc was a big mistake.

As I see it the MK2 versions only need to build onto the already great base that the MK1 versions have, and add in the extra card slot, improve the AF system to bring it at least nearer to Sony, maybe add onboard 10bit video and 4k 60 and perhaps (unlikely) boost the EVF to the new industry standard 5mp unit (like the new Panasonics), make a new battery grip (and internal contacts) for vertical shooting etc., and they would have a couple of bodies that all the Nikon faithful wanted from the start.

Oh !! How sweet is that...and I’m not a cat person.
It's a Felix & English Shorthair cross. 6 in the litter, I'm hoping to get more opportunities with them, there are some lovely grey ones amongst them too

Thanks wilt, might be a long wait for a better spec dx mirrorless then

the d500 is the mutts nuts its fantastic camera if you cannot get good results with it then i would say
it operator error basically know how to use the camera rather blame the camera for bad results
you would notice a huge difference between your d7100 and a d500 it will blow your socks off
i had 2 d500's for 3 yrs and was never let down its ability to produce the goods and im only an amateur who is a camera club member

the d500 is the mutts nuts its fantastic camera if you cannot get good results with it then i would say
it operator error basically know how to use the camera rather blame the camera for bad results
you would notice a huge difference between your d7100 and a d500 it will blow your socks off
i had 2 d500's for 3 yrs and was never let down its ability to produce the goods and im only an amateur who is a camera club member
Thanks, I have managed to borrow a d500 for a few days and enjoyed it very much. Just need to find a good deal now [emoji3]

Aww...poor little bugger.

Poor little thing :(

In totally different news, Z9 details are starting to leak. Not one for me as I like the size of my z6, but anything described as “a D6 body combined with EOS R5 imaging, α9II AF, and blackout-free EVF” sounds technically prettycool, and good for the Z ecosystem! And talk of a 400mm f/2.8 Z .....

In totally different news, Z9 details are starting to leak. Not one for me as I like the size of my z6, but anything described as “a D6 body combined with EOS R5 imaging, α9II AF, and blackout-free EVF” sounds technically prettycool, and good for the Z ecosystem! And talk of a 400mm f/2.8 Z .....

If the body design is like that - I'm in, love that mock up of the z9.

If they can do A9-II equivalent performance with a 46mp sensor I'll be very impressed. Shame it'll be in this style body only, I'd rather it be a standard camera size with the ability to add grip as required. Body designs like this move it out of the 'everyday' camera imo.

If they can do A9-II equivalent performance with a 46mp sensor I'll be very impressed. Shame it'll be in this style body only, I'd rather it be a standard camera size with the ability to add grip as required. Body designs like this move it out of the 'everyday' camera imo.
I can see your point .... however I can’t stand adding grips to bodies. I always find there’s an ever so slight flex with heavy lenses etc. and it drives me crazy. Plus they’re slightly larger than a pro body all gripped up and I like the additional screen on the back. Horses for courses :)

About to replace my 70-200mm f/4 with a 70-200mm f/2.8. but not sure whether to get a VII or the Tamron G2. What would your choice be? FL and Z mount are too far outside my budget, and my f4 is just not fast enough.

About to replace my 70-200mm f/4 with a 70-200mm f/2.8. but not sure whether to get a VII or the Tamron G2. What would your choice be? FL and Z mount are too far outside my budget, and my f4 is just not fast enough.
I had the Nikon VRII and loved it, fast to focus and renders beautifully. I've not tried the Tamron but looking at sample photos it doesn't render as nicely as the Nikon IMO.

If it helps at all I've got the Tamron G2 with I use with the FTZ mount on my Z6 and I'm really pleased with it. I was pleased when I had it on my D600 but it's even better on the Z6 as no need for AF fine tuning!

@gilbouk
I've had the Tamron G2 and I replaced it with a VR2 that I still own. The reason was that in AF-C and tracking the VR2 just ran circles around the Tamron. Tried on both the D750 and the Z6 bodies and I consistently had a lot more in focus shots with the Nikon than with the Tamron.

is that the second hand lens you bought and had major surgery getting repaired
thats the problem with secondhand lens's you don't know how they have been treated or how many owners its had i would never believe a seller
unless i knew him personally

the nikon 70-200 f2.8 mk1 , 2, and 3 are all fantastic lens but heavy buggers . but i would only buy new if i was you as your a pro doing weddings {unless from a shop with warranty }
i would not be taking any chances that it could ruin the day
have you not considered the z 70-200 ? you would not need an adapter so it would be lighter than a F mount version

Last edited:

I had a look through your flickr - really glad you're making excellent use of the repaired 300 f4!

As for the Nikon 70-200 dilemma..... It's a tough one.

All are very good, the VR I is getting on a bit and I'd be concerned re. part availability. The vr ii has focus breathing issues, which wouldn't be an issue really, unless you've tried the FL version - it's mind bendingly awesome, in every way. Probably not what you wanted to hear, and I am sure the new z mount 70-200 is equally spectacular.

In your shoes, I'd go with the VR II, as someone has mentioned here, the native lenses have better performance re. AF and if you are going to adapt it to your Z system, you know that it'll work ok.

I'm about to renew my fast zooms for Nikon and I'm going to go for the FL - it is a lot of money, but I've used / owned the 2 versions of the 80-200 and all 3 of the 70-200's and the FL smashes all of them.

Another vote (sorry) for the fl, it’s just the complete package.

I had the Tamron G2 and iq wise it was awesome better than the vrii but it’s af-c performance wasn’t the best.

I think the price will do that.

I had a look through your flickr - really glad you're making excellent use of the repaired 300 f4!

As for the Nikon 70-200 dilemma..... It's a tough one.

All are very good, the VR I is getting on a bit and I'd be concerned re. part availability. The vr ii has focus breathing issues, which wouldn't be an issue really, unless you've tried the FL version - it's mind bendingly awesome, in every way. Probably not what you wanted to hear, and I am sure the new z mount 70-200 is equally spectacular.

In your shoes, I'd go with the VR II, as someone has mentioned here, the native lenses have better performance re. AF and if you are going to adapt it to your Z system, you know that it'll work ok.

I'm about to renew my fast zooms for Nikon and I'm going to go for the FL - it is a lot of money, but I've used / owned the 2 versions of the 80-200 and all 3 of the 70-200's and the FL smashes all of them.

I've been absolutely loving my 300mm f4. There's just something about it!! The separation is great - and it's not too heavy either. Don't get me wrong, the AF isn't up there when it comes to shooting wildlife, or for that matter moving people but I just love the images it produces when it gets the focusing right!! The 85mm s f/1.8 is also a stunning lens but I'm not able to achieve the same smooth background and separation for full length photos of people head to toe wide open. IMO it's better for head to waist. Perhaps the 70-200mm might give be similar results to the 300mm

I read about the focus breathing in the VRII - and given the age of the lens now, I'm leaning towards the FL. Maybe I need to just save and wait!! Perhaps next year the FL or even the Z mount (if the prices come down from the eye watering £2400) will be within my grasp. In the meantime I've rented the 70-200mm FL from @StewartR at lensesforhire which I'm looking forward to trying tomorrow. I've got it for a week for 4 Weddings (although I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of them get cancelled given the changeable restrictions). If all else fails I can always take it on a few casual shoots with friends. Will post up some photos and let you know of my findings!!

Another vote (sorry) for the fl, it’s just the complete package.

I had the Tamron G2 and iq wise it was awesome better than the vrii but it’s af-c performance wasn’t the best.

@gilbouk
I've had the Tamron G2 and I replaced it with a VR2 that I still own. The reason was that in AF-C and tracking the VR2 just ran circles around the Tamron. Tried on both the D750 and the Z6 bodies and I consistently had a lot more in focus shots with the Nikon than with the Tamron.
I found the same to be true with the Tamron 150-600mm MK1 vs the Nikon 200-500. Once I had the Nikon I realised how inconsistent my Tamron had actually been in comparison

Last edited:
is that the second hand lens you bought and had major surgery getting repaired
thats the problem with secondhand lens's you don't know how they have been treated or how many owners its had i would never believe a seller
unless i knew him personally

the nikon 70-200 f2.8 mk1 , 2, and 3 are all fantastic lens but heavy buggers . but i would only buy new if i was you as your a pro doing weddings {unless from a shop with warranty }
i would not be taking any chances that it could ruin the day
have you not considered the z 70-200 ? you would not need an adapter so it would be lighter than a F mount version

Ive actually not had any bad experiences purchasing lenses second hand and I've that many lenses now that if one failed it wouldn't ruin the day. In fact the only lens I have that's new is my 85mm z

Last edited:
Back