Nikon Z* mirrorless

Not that they are in the same class of camera, but my Olympus EM1-X and EM1 MK III (and earlier Olympus bodies), also have eye AF in single point mode and allows you to switch from face to face via the joystick. Also they allow just eye AF, Left Eye AF or Right Eye AF. But like I say, we are talking different class cameras here, so just in FF terms, Sony still rules the roost on that feature.
Wasn't aware of that, so you can choose eye-af, choose single point and then when activated it will track that particular set of eyes wherever they go in the frame?

Less than £500 between the equivalent Z6 and Z6II so reckon the new version is the one I'd go for. Also the difference between A7III and Z6II is not great in the grand scheme of things (WEX pricing) but will be interesting to see what grey prices look like. Z6II winning for me overall given I have some lenses too.

New 85mm z lens announced too (presumably a ‘cheap and cheerful’ f/1.2 number :ROFLMAO:) along with 400mm and 600mm z mount primes now on the roadmap...

Wasn't aware of that, so you can choose eye-af, choose single point and then when activated it will track that particular set of eyes wherever they go in the frame?

Yep :)

this is a placating the "one card slot" and "no proper grip" whingers release. I'm going to wait for lens sales (I would quite like the 85mm f1.8 for instance if the price comes down considerably). I'm glad I'm likely to be able to stick with this camera longer than any previous serious digital.

Well unless you're a pro and need 2 card slots and grip I can't see the point of upgrading.
I won't be.
I'll save my pennies for some of those promised new lenses, although I might have to wait a while.

Pretty much as expected, the only disappointment imo is the eye-af 'only' being used in wide area modes. Don't get me wrong these work really well if there's only one person in the frame, but if there's multiple people in the frame it doesn't allow you to quickly and easily choose which person you want to focus on. Sony are the only ones still where I've seen that they've implemented this, i.e. you can use single point tracking so you can select the person with the single point and then the camera will track their eyes.

Still damn fine cameras though, and I've got to say they've priced them well. IIRC the Z7-II is cheaper than the Z7 at release?

Well unless you're a pro and need 2 card slots and grip I can't see the point of upgrading.
I won't be.
I'll save my pennies for some of those promised new lenses, although I might have to wait a while.
Looks like I might be tempted to get a Z6II at some point. Working with one slot is just too risky!!

Plus interestingly according to dpreview:

“New AF modes have been added and are accessible in the main and 'i' menus. They include the addition of face / eye detection in the 'Wide area AF' mode instead of just 'Auto Area AF'; this means you can place an AF box over a person's face to tell the camera to focus on that particular person's eyes, which is especially handy if there are multiple people in a scene. An equivalent mode is available that prioritizes animals.”

Hopefully this will mean better and more dependable face and eye AF especially with the new processors. Will want to see reviews of this when influencers get their hands on them and start posting reviews on YouTube

Last edited:
I would expect that the face/eye would be a lot faster and reliable with this new method. As it's only having to look within that box rather than across the whole sensor. It does mean you can limit what it thinks might be a face in another part of the frame.
I'm trading in my Z6 for the Z6II. The added fps, dual card slot, updated focusing and the hope that it receives further firmware updates regularly has made my mind up. Not to mention that the trade in offer has tempted me.

Last edited:
I would expect that the face/eye would be a lot faster and reliable with this new method. As it's only having to look within that box rather than across the whole sensor. It does mean you can limit what it thinks might be a face in another part of the frame.

Hopefully it will work like Tracking following the face around once you select it and maintaining eye AF / face AF.

Well I wasn't expecting too much. Some good changes, but also a lot of recycled specs as well.

Missing or the same
Same EVF (but it was already a good one, though the newer 5mp one would have been nice like Canon and Panasonic).
no internal 10 bit video,
Z6 with 4k 60 at DX crop only (and even then only via a promised firmware upgrade next year).
Same sensors as MK1 versions (although to be fair that's not a bad thing).
No 8K option (although not something I'd ever use).
No UI changes (that I've read about)

New
Dual card slot (2nd one being SDXC UHS II),
3 times the buffer capacity on both Z6 II and Z7 II,
ability to use eye AF in wide area modes, and eye AF for video.
Being able to use the camera whilst powered off an external battery.
Z6 max long exposure time now 800 seconds (or something like that).
Proper battery grip with shutter release controls (though sadly not compatible with the mark 1 Z's).
Slightly faster frame rates
Promised better AF and more low light capability (though remains to be proven when the reviews start coming in).
HDR HLG video recording

What's your thoughts ? Pricing as mentioned seems pretty aggressive, but TBH, there's not whole lot to tempt me to lose a fortune on my current Z's and upgrade. To me, this is what the Z camera's should have been at launch, and we should now be on a proper 2nd generation to compete with the best of Canon and Sony. Don't get me wrong, Nikon did a lot of things brilliantly with the Z's as their first full frame mirrorless offerings, but the competition doesn't sit still, and with an ever shrinking market, you really need some stand out features to capture sales, and respectfully, nothing in the MK2 cameras offers anything new that other's haven't been already doing (and some even better). I can see a lot of bashing come Nikon's way from the Canon and Sony fanboys.

Anyway, It's lenses for me now. Come on Nikon, launch that 200-600 Z mount on your roadmap.

Small but useful upgrades. Notably the obligatory grip would actually make it handhold-able for the first time for anyone with normal sized hands. And the dual cards are very welcome.

Sadly no 10bit internal which does rule it out for me as an affordable video alternative. £1k extra for atmos is a bit steep for an occasional house walkthrough, which lands me in R5 territory.

And shame shame shame about that old EVF. It's not like the just couldn't order new spec ones from whatever supplier Panasonic and Canon use.

Small but useful upgrades. Notably the obligatory grip would actually make it handhold-able for the first time for anyone with normal sized hands. And the dual cards are very welcome.

Sadly no 10bit internal which does rule it out for me as an affordable video alternative. £1k extra for atmos is a bit steep for an occasional house walkthrough, which lands me in R5 territory.

And shame shame shame about that old EVF. It's not like the just couldn't order new spec ones from whatever supplier Panasonic and Canon use.
The lack of EVF update is disappointing, but it's the lag and black out that concerned me more. Nikon has said that the black out is reduced so at least that's an improvement I'll take. Hopefully lag is also reduced.

Looks like I might be tempted to get a Z6II at some point. Working with one slot is just too risky!!

Plus interestingly according to dpreview:

“New AF modes have been added and are accessible in the main and 'i' menus. They include the addition of face / eye detection in the 'Wide area AF' mode instead of just 'Auto Area AF'; this means you can place an AF box over a person's face to tell the camera to focus on that particular person's eyes, which is especially handy if there are multiple people in a scene. An equivalent mode is available that prioritizes animals.”

Hopefully this will mean better and more dependable face and eye AF especially with the new processors. Will want to see reviews of this when influencers get their hands on them and start posting reviews on YouTube
It's a while since I had the Z7 but I thought AF wide was the whole frame not a specific area :facepalm:

No, AF Wide use just a portion of the AF points and is available in 2 sizes, AF Wide Small and AF Wide Large. I think you are referring to Auto Area AF which uses the whole screen ?

this is a placating the "one card slot" and "no proper grip" whingers release. I'm going to wait for lens sales (I would quite like the 85mm f1.8 for instance if the price comes down considerably). I'm glad I'm likely to be able to stick with this camera longer than any previous serious digital.
There’s quite a few improvements listed here

Better af and much better buffer too. Seems quite an improvement and whilst not groundbreaking has at least caught up with the competition.

No, AF Wide use just a portion of the AF points and is available in 2 sizes, AF Wide Small and AF Wide Large. I think you are referring to Auto Area AF which uses the whole screen ?
I was getting confused with Sony :facepalm:

Any idea whether it will just track the eye in that area or once set it will track across the entire screen?

There’s quite a few improvements listed here

Better af and much better buffer too. Seems quite an improvement and whilst not groundbreaking has at least caught up with the competition.

Nikon have certainly been listening and done what is necessary to makes those interested in switching to FF mirrorless hesitating between, say, the A7iii and the Z6 ii, have a good long think. We don't know yet if the AF tracking is significantly better but the specs are indeed quite encouraging. For those who are less interested in AF performance, the second card slot and better grip are the things Nikon had to get right. Those, like myself, to whom none of the above are the primary factors, will wait for a new generation with real sensor development. Of course my initial post sounded a bit cynical but objectively, this is indeed a sensible intermediate offering from Nikon.

The Z7 II has stop and made me think (although something always seems to just before I splash the cash). I recently sold my D500 and lenses as I was going back to Canon (R5) but the buffer upgrade, twin card slots and AF enhancements (and tbh the hefty price difference) have got me interested.

Waiting for reviews, especially with the 200-500mm.

Quick grab of my new Z7 following a harrowing experience of drowning the last one, This one has the new firmware update so tried a blast of the animal detection af mode. Looking forward to getting out and spending more time with it. Last one bit the dust after 5 weeks so hoping for better luck this time.

DSC_0010.jpg

Quick grab of my new Z7 following a harrowing experience of drowning the last one, This one has the new firmware update so tried a blast of the animal detection af mode. Looking forward to getting out and spending more time with it. Last one bit the dust after 5 weeks so hoping for better luck this time.

View attachment 295617
Cool dog (y)

Planning on moving my wide f mounts on soon as can’t get on with swapping lenses quickly and changing the ftz adapter over from lens to lens - although this will be less of a challenge when I manage to afford a z6II with less lens changing required. Currently too much agro when you are shooting a Wedding, and the lenses are tight to fit on the FTZ unlike the lovely feeling of the native Zs on the body. Anybody interested in a 20mm f1.8 and a 35mm f1.8 both ’G’s - will put them in classified soon.

What would you guys recommend for the purposes of Wedding Photography - a 20mm f/1.8 s or a 14-30mm f/4 s? I have a 24-70mm f/4 s on the way which I plan to use mainly outdoors / good light with the preference of using my primes. I could see the 24-70mm advantage for its versatility during the ceremony for example - with my 85mm on a second body. I’m trying to keep my weight down so the 24-70mm f/2.8 s and 14-24mm f/2.8s are both too heavy and too expensive at the moment.

Just not sure how often if ever I‘ve been using my 20mm at f/1.8, and having the flexibility to go wider than 20mm seems more appealing + being able to zoom close to 35mm which I will no longer have. Anobody got ideas / examples of shots with a wide angle lens at f/1.8 - I’m thinking perhaps the only time you might consider shooting wide open with such a short focal length might be during the first dance to include guests the dance floor, guests all around.

Falling in love with the z mount lenses - absolutely love my 85mm and it’s superb sharpness, and I even prefer it over the 70-200mm FL which I have rented. Just not getting on with the awkward zoom ring position and weight although what it produces in low light is awesome though!!

Last edited:
If you want wider than 20mm, to be able to zoom closer to 35mm, need something faster than f/4, and love the z lenses, I think there’s only one real option for you.... get yourself down to the gym and saving up for the 14-24 f/2.8!

Planning on moving my wide f mounts on soon as can’t get on with swapping lenses quickly and changing the ftz adapter over from lens to lens - although this will be less of a challenge when I manage to afford a z6II with less lens changing required. Currently too much agro when you are shooting a Wedding, and the lenses are tight to fit on the FTZ unlike the lovely feeling of the native Zs on the body. Anybody interested in a 20mm f1.8 and a 35mm f1.8 both ’G’s - will put them in classified soon.

What would you guys recommend for the purposes of Wedding Photography - a 20mm f/1.8 s or a 14-30mm f/4 s? I have a 24-70mm f/4 s on the way which I plan to use mainly outdoors / good light with the preference of using my primes. I could see the 24-70mm advantage for its versatility during the ceremony for example - with my 85mm on a second body. I’m trying to keep my weight down so the 24-70mm f/2.8 s and 14-24mm f/2.8s are both too heavy and too expensive at the moment.

Just not sure how often if ever I‘ve been using my 20mm at f/1.8, and having the flexibility to go wider than 20mm seems more appealing + being able to zoom close to 35mm which I will no longer have. Anobody got ideas / examples of shots with a wide angle lens at f/1.8 - I’m thinking perhaps the only time you might consider shooting wide open with such a short focal length might be during the first dance to include guests the dance floor, guests all around.

Falling in love with the z mount lenses - absolutely love my 85mm and it’s superb sharpness, and I even prefer it over the 70-200mm FL which I have rented. Just not getting on with the awkward zoom ring position and weight although what it produces in low light is awesome though!!

Interesting as I'm thinking of trading my f mounts against a Z6II and just having the 24-70 as a start. Why will lens changing be less of an issue on the II though?

Interesting as I'm thinking of trading my f mounts against a Z6II and just having the 24-70 as a start. Why will lens changing be less of an issue on the II though?
Having 2 bodies will mean I’ll have access to 2 already mounted lenses. Rather than just 1

DSC_5068-Pano-Edit-XL.jpg

The Cotswolds looking incredible at this time of year. This was taken at the ford in Upper Slaughter. It's a 4 image stitched pano.

very nice @Doug, such a well thought composition.

Thank you!

I imagine it's a shot taken by a number of tourists but it's a pretty location so I can see why.

Would it be worth investing in a used Z6 now seeing as the newer model is out for doing some video? I own a D5, D850 and D500 but from what I’ve seen the Z6 seems pretty good for video and it’ll be cool trying a different system to see how it compares to my DSLR’s

Back