Nikon Z* mirrorless

+1.

I‘ve been thinking about the 14-30 for a while now but my sensible head (which I don’t usually pay much attention to) is saying that I very rarely shoot wider then 24mm and so it would be a lot of money for little use. A cheapish, wide prime would be a good alternative.

Have you tried used? A few Z 14-30's will come up now the 14-24 Z is out.

You could get an F adaptor and shoot a 20mm F1.8 F mount lens. I really rate it on the D810.

Question for Z owners- how are you faring with sensor dust. Are you having to clean the sensor a lot more over the older DSLR. Are you finding the new lens mount gives better frame edge sharpness on the new Z lenses?

A pic from a couple of weeks ago. My last trip out with the camera before my Covid quarantine. Not an especially great pic but I’ve been bored out of my mind this week and so editing any old tat. :)

One of my favourite views of the Shropshire Hills.

Shropshire Hills Mono
by Jason, on Flickr

You see - I simply love that. Give me this over the "moody" ones any day. Lovely work.

I used to remove the lens with the camera switched on. It closes the shutter. Had to fire it to reset after fitting lens. Never suffered any after effects.

Question re: xqd cards that people use... I‘m waffling between a new D780 and a Z6. With a 780 I can keep using my sd cards but with a Z6 I’d have to purchase an xqd card. Sheesh, they’re pricey! What size do you use and how many raw files are you able to shoot without changing cards? Google says a 32gb should hold about 1000 raw files on a 20 mpx camera.

Question re: xqd cards that people use... I‘m waffling between a new D780 and a Z6. With a 780 I can keep using my sd cards but with a Z6 I’d have to purchase an xqd card. Sheesh, they’re pricey! What size do you use and how many raw files are you able to shoot without changing cards? Google says a 32gb should hold about 1000 raw files on a 20 mpx camera.

The Z5 has dual SD card slots. Pretty much the main reason I got one over the Z6/7 was to avoid the expense of the new cards.

The Z5 has dual SD card slots. Pretty much the main reason I got one over the Z6/7 was to avoid the expense of the new cards.

That would be a great option if the max fps was significantly better than 4.5 or if I didn't do any action photography. For my photography needs, once this stinking pandemic ends, I need at least 7 fps for sports action.

Anyone else like to chime in, please?

If you went with the Z6II you'd be able to use SD cards and for go the whole XQD/CFexpress initially and purchase one of them once prices lower(If they ever)
Or you may find that you don't need a second card slot at all and live a happy life using the one slot of the Z6II. The one slot never really bothered me about the Z6.

If you went with the Z6II you'd be able to use SD cards and for go the whole XQD/CFexpress initially and purchase one of them once prices lower(If they ever)
Or you may find that you don't need a second card slot at all and live a happy life using the one slot of the Z6II. The one slot never really bothered me about the Z6.

I got the Z6ii and have yet to put an SDCard in it. Must buy one at some point

Interesting - first 3rd party AF lens for the Z system is out soon, courtesy of Viltrox:

I'm not particularly excited about the lens itself (currently more than happy with my adapted 85mm f/1.8 G) but if one manufacturer has cracked it, it can't be too long before the other follow. Apparently the one above is based on their Sony version, so if there's a relatively small tweak and all third parties could make their Sony fit-lenses compatible, we'd see a flood of Z-fit stuff suddenly coming out! Might just be wishful thinking, but you never know :)

I wonder whether this lens is in any way better than the Nikon G. It's a focal length I would like and indeed I have asked for a 85mm f1.8 S to be put aside when they come back into stock again next week probably in a local shop. Although I haven't entirely practised what I preach so far, I still think one of the points of the Z system is the improved lens quality over older designs. For an informal portrait lens in low light, the AF has to be responsive and there have been one or two questions about this side even with Sony.

I cleaned my Z6 about twice in the couple of years I had it. I don't think it was any worse than any of my DLSR's from that perspective.

I've never had to clean the sensor of my Z6, or that of any mirrorless camera for that matter. Nikon DSLR's were another matter altogether.

Well I think you need to wait for the Viltrox reviews. So far the consensus is that the Z 50mm and Z 85mm optically are the 2 best of the bunch.
Viltrox will need some special sauce to better the AF on OEM lenses.

I have the Sony version, and have not found it lacking in any areas to be honest.
I wonder whether this lens is in any way better than the Nikon G. It's a focal length I would like and indeed I have asked for a 85mm f1.8 S to be put aside when they come back into stock again next week probably in a local shop. Although I haven't entirely practised what I preach so far, I still think one of the points of the Z system is the improved lens quality over older designs. For an informal portrait lens in low light, the AF has to be responsive and there have been one or two questions about this side even with Sony.

I have the Sony version, and have not found it lacking in any areas to be honest.

Well, I regret not buying the 85 1.8 sooner. It's out of stock everywhere and not too sure when new stock will be arriving. I've got a wedding to shoot on 18th Dec so hoping to have it for then :rolleyes:

Well, I regret not buying the 85 1.8 sooner. It's out of stock everywhere and not too sure when new stock will be arriving. I've got a wedding to shoot on 18th Dec so hoping to have it for then :rolleyes:
It’s a glorious lens. The 50mm and 85mm are just ridiculously sharp

Have you tried used? A few Z 14-30's will come up now the 14-24 Z is out.

You could get an F adaptor and shoot a 20mm F1.8 F mount lens. I really rate it on the D810.

Question for Z owners- how are you faring with sensor dust. Are you having to clean the sensor a lot more over the older DSLR. Are you finding the new lens mount gives better frame edge sharpness on the new Z lenses?

My D750 sensor was endlessly grotty. Never understood how it attracted so much muck. It was swabbed fairly often as well. Not had an issue with the Z5 but very rarely change lenses.

Thanks for the lens recommendation. Seems about 400 quid for a decent s/h copy and looks a lightweight lens as well. Will have another think after Xmas.

Thank you to the kind user who PM'd me to point me in the direction of London Camera Exchange. I've got their last one on the way to me now. Possibly the last for sale in the UK until Nikon get more stock in to the stores :)

if it doesn't come in tomorrow, I can probably forget it. All "non-essential" shops are closing from Wednesday in Germany and I'm not sure if this shop will send (and nowhere else reputable looks like having it) . By the end of the lockdown, the cashback will have expired.

The courier is due to arrive shortly, quite excited.

I hope you mange to get the lens @lunar22.

the 85mm F1.8 S is worth waiting for though, it's an absolute stunner !

Lens has arrived, I likely won't have any time to test it apart from a few desk shots until the wedding day! I'm putting faith in Nikons build quality and quality control processes :)

I went with a prograde Cfe card. Using it in my Z6. No adjustments needed, just popped it in the camera, formatted and off we went. It has a metal frame unlike the cheap Sony xqd. The reader is from Amazon, brand: Arkidyn £31.99. Lovely solid feel and a massive improvement over the ‘about to break’ plastic Sony reader. Connects with usb-c too. Read speeds are 4x faster!

Unfortunately my Arkidyn CFexpress Card Reader doesn't seem to work :-(. Using it with my MacBook Pro 13" 2020. Prograde 128GB CFexpress card formatted in my Z6 and photos are being saved to it fine, but when you try to get them across to the Mac - the reader doesn't work :-(. Tried plugging in the reader first, and then inserting the card after - but still the same.

Screenshot 2020-12-16 at 08.20.18.png
Screenshot 2020-12-16 at 08.20.50.png

The courier is due to arrive shortly, quite excited.

I hope you mange to get the lens @lunar22.
not hopeful. Went into the shop yesterday to see if any update on the anticipated mid-Dec stock delivery but they've had no update. I'll enjoy hearing all about yours, instead!

Thank you to the kind user who PM'd me to point me in the direction of London Camera Exchange. I've got their last one on the way to me now. Possibly the last for sale in the UK until Nikon get more stock in to the stores :)
unfortunately the LCE won't send abroad but I saved £200 by getting a brand-new Fuji X-Pro2 customer return (he'd bought two and decided he didn't need the other) from the Manchester branch a while back before switching to Nikon and would certainly use them again if in that part of the world.

Unfortunately my Arkidyn CFexpress Card Reader doesn't seem to work :-(. Using it with my MacBook Pro 13" 2020. Prograde 128GB CFexpress card formatted in my Z6 and photos are being saved to it fine, but when you try to get them across to the Mac - the reader doesn't work :-(. Tried plugging in the reader first, and then inserting the card after - but still the same.

View attachment 302140
View attachment 302141

How strange. I’m now using it on Mac mini M1 and it’s working fine. Maybe you have a duff unit?

Thinking about going mirrorless, trying to figure out my best options. In the first instance, this would be for my infrared body at the moment (D7100) but later I'll be looking to upgrade my colour body too at some point (D810). Mostly landscape.

For infrared (well, probably full spectrum this time), I'm thinking either a Z6II or a Z7 - both around(ish) the same (Paramoz) price. I haven't ruled out a Z6 (even a second hand one) but that would mean new memory cards too -not a massive expense in the grand scheme of things, but... What would you go for??

For colour, I'm probably looking at a Z7 or Z7II - and it would more than likely be a Z7II, but that price difference sure does make me question myself....

In terms of suitable (non DX) glass, at the moment I've got a 24-70 F2.8, a 70-200 F2.8 VRII, a Sigma 105mm F2.8, a Tamron 28-75 F2.8 that I was selling but...and a 70-300 VR which is largely unused now. So I'm guessing an FTZ is a must, but I hear the Z glass is particularly good, so wondering if I start to bite the bullet now, and at least get a 24-70 F4 to get me going?

I did contact Greys about trading in, but conscious that trade in prices are a lot lower than private selling, especially if I can still use them.

Any thoughts / suggestions??

Mostly landscape.

For infrared (well, probably full spectrum this time), I'm thinking either a Z6II or a Z7 - both around(ish) the same (Paramoz) price. I haven't ruled out a Z6 (even a second hand one) but that would mean new memory cards too -not a massive expense in the grand scheme of things, but... What would you go for??

, and at least get a 24-70 F4 to get me going?

If it’s just landscape and you don’t need the speed/higher pixel count then a Z5 is worth thinking about. Dual SD card slots so a bit of money saved there.

The 24-70f4 is a great lens for the price, around 400-450 second hand.

I‘m really happy with my Z5 + 24-70F4 combo. Enough pixels for me, does what I need it to do and pretty lightweight.

Thinking about going mirrorless, trying to figure out my best options. In the first instance, this would be for my infrared body at the moment (D7100) but later I'll be looking to upgrade my colour body too at some point (D810). Mostly landscape.

For colour, I'm probably looking at a Z7 or Z7II - and it would more than likely be a Z7II, but that price difference sure does make me question myself....

In terms of suitable (non DX) glass, at the moment I've got a 24-70 F2.8, a 70-200 F2.8 VRII, a Sigma 105mm F2.8, a Tamron 28-75 F2.8 that I was selling but...and a 70-300 VR which is largely unused now. So I'm guessing an FTZ is a must, but I hear the Z glass is particularly good, so wondering if I start to bite the bullet now, and at least get a 24-70 F4 to get me going?

I did contact Greys about trading in, but conscious that trade in prices are a lot lower than private selling, especially if I can still use them.

Any thoughts / suggestions??

I don't own any but had been taking another look at them now the "2nd gen" has been released; (a dangerous pre-xmas Tax Refund hasn't helped)
It seems to me from what I've read that dual slot and new processor aside there's little difference between the Z7 and Z7ii in the very restricted handling I've had of the Z models they do feel really nice to use!

I hadn't considered the Z5, I'll have a look at it too now. I guess that then introduces another element in terms of similar prices between the Z5 vs Z6? but maybe that's not so difficult - dual card slots...

One of the things I was.... I'll go as far as to say "considering".... was using it for video (with a suitable hot mirror filter if I did) which is partly why I was thinking Z6II over Z7, but price was as big a factor for something that's partly experimental (full spectrum) and also partly why second hand isn't out of the question as the modification will likely invalidate the warranty anyway. But would a Z5 be good enough?

At one point I was thinking about using one camera to do both IR AND normal colour and change filters as required, but have been talked out of that I think as just too fiddly. But that would have been a straight forward decision - Z7II, and only after I'd proved the concept on something cheaper!

Wow, wasn't even on my list - not sure I realised it existed, but Z5 might be my goldilocks full spectrum camera!

Anyone got the 24-200 F4-6.3?? Be interested to hear what it's like, maybe in comparison to the 24-70 F4. The 18-200 has been my go-to lens for my D7100 IR - there is an attraction to a superzoom for this camera.... (I carry both bodies over my shoulders most of the time, with lenses on - hence why I'm looking at a lighter system. Also has huge advantages for IR)

how are people getting on with adapted lenses with the Z series? I am considering either the z6ii or z7ii next year but other than my f mount 24-70 f2.8 i really don't want to have to rush to replace my other two f mount lenses (tamron 17-35 and sigma 70-200 sport) as i have only had them less than a year and really like them. I am a little concerned that the sigma may feel unbalanced when adapted, although the tamron weighs nothing really so should be fine. Any issues with focus speeds etc?
Cheers
Col

how are people getting on with adapted lenses with the Z series? I am considering either the z6ii or z7ii next year but other than my f mount 24-70 f2.8 i really don't want to have to rush to replace my other two f mount lenses (tamron 17-35 and sigma 70-200 sport) as i have only had them less than a year and really like them. I am a little concerned that the sigma may feel unbalanced when adapted, although the tamron weighs nothing really so should be fine. Any issues with focus speeds etc?
Cheers
Col

I think @Stephen L had some issues with Tamron firmware. Which he managed to get Sorted. Can’t help with Sigma.

I think @Stephen L had some issues with Tamron firmware. Which he managed to get Sorted. Can’t help with Sigma.
That was when I bought a Tamron 17-35 for my Nikon Z6. Turned out that the camera didn't recognize the lens. Spoke to the dealer (Wilkinsons) who offered a refund or they would pay for it to be sent to the Tamron importer, who were aware of the issue. They loaded the latest firmware and it all worked fine. However, using the Tamron on the Z6 with the FTZ did make it feel unwieldy but not too heavy. Eventually sold it for the Z 14-30.

Cheers folks, that is useful to know that a lens as relatively small as the tamron felt unwieldly. How did it behave performance wise?
No problems there. I think it was the girth of the lens which put me off; that and the extra bulk of the FTZ. But then I am known for being picky on how the overall handling of a system affects its synergy and the ultimate result.

Back