Nikon Z* mirrorless

No problems there. I think it was the girth of the lens which put me off; that and the extra bulk of the FTZ. But then I am known for being picky on how the overall handling of a system affects its synergy and the ultimate result.
Ok that makes sense anyways. It may well just be a case of see how it feels for me as and when i get the new camera methinks. My plan is to keep the d750 as a second camera anyways as that will then give me a pair of cameras both capable of shooting weddings etc so worst case scenario i will have the option of just getting a new 24-70 z series at some stage and working from that platform. Cheers again!

how are people getting on with adapted lenses with the Z series? I am considering either the z6ii or z7ii next year but other than my f mount 24-70 f2.8 i really don't want to have to rush to replace my other two f mount lenses (tamron 17-35 and sigma 70-200 sport) as i have only had them less than a year and really like them. I am a little concerned that the sigma may feel unbalanced when adapted, although the tamron weighs nothing really so should be fine. Any issues with focus speeds etc?
Cheers
Col

I have a Nikkor 24-120/f4 and a Sigma 105/2.8 OS macro to use on my Z6 and FTZ. With one hand under the lens I don’t find it awkward at all. One just gets used to the situation and carries on.

With one hand under the lens I don’t find it awkward at all. One just gets used to the situation and carries on.
That has been my standard way of handling a camera for the past 60 years or so. It’s the increasing girth (of the lens!), coupled with arthritis in the hands, which makes it less comfortable. We’re not all young whipper-snappers, you know. ;):)

I think most people use adapted lenses and are pretty happy! I certainly am with my adapted Nikon 35mm g, 85mm g, and sigma 150-600, can’t say i notice any impacts caused by the adaptor.

That has been my standard way of handling a camera for the past 60 years or so. It’s the increasing girth (of the lens!), coupled with arthritis in the hands, which makes it less comfortable. We’re not all young whipper-snappers, you know. ;):)

:D:p This guy isn’t very whipper-snapperish anymore but I understand what you mean with arthritis complicating things. Lighter is definitely better in that case.

Ooops, might have gone a bit overboard.... Z7 and Z5 on the way with a 24-200 and an FTZ. Went second hand on the Z7 (26000 actuations) rather than go grey market. Now to figure out how to a) sneak it all past my wife (she knows I bought "a" camera....) and b) how best to sell my other stuff! Suspect I'd better wait to make sure I'm happy with the Z system though!

I've got a Z6 II and the original Z7. TBH the Z7 pretty much does everything I want of it (other than 4k 60 that the II gets), but I really wish it would accept the new battery grip that I have on the Z6 II, really transforms the handling with longer lenses.

Can you compare AF between them? I'm especially interested if the Z6 II has less delay in its' slideshow EVF mode than the MK I

I put my 24-70 f/4 up for sale in classified if anybody is looking for one. Looking to extend my collection of primes and invest in a Z6II soon!!

I'm seriously considering starting my journey in the Nikon Mirrorless cameras. I currently shoot a pair of D850s. My main shooting is sport, mostly Rugby, my dog and Landscapes. In all honesty two cameras is an extravagance but I also help with some community work shooting Gala Days etc and that extra body for that and for near shots at rugby is so useful. I like the idea of keeping one D850 and selling the other to be replaced by a Z7 or perhaps a Z6ii. My main driver is the F4 lenses 14-24 and 24-70 to reduce my weight for landscapes. I'm pretty sure they will make my life much easier when walking to locations and I'll add my 70-300mm VR for a very lightweight set up. My only concern is the Z series and capturing shots of players going over for a try and other action fairly close(200mm lens) to the camera. Will the Z7 offer a decent chance of getting in focus shots and how much in terms of focus speed and blackout will I suffer. I would be looking to shoot at a fairly fast fps at 12 bit. If it can cover the rugby it will also do the dog I imagine but I tend to only take a single camera for that so not as important

I'm seriously considering starting my journey in the Nikon Mirrorless cameras. I currently shoot a pair of D850s. My main shooting is sport, mostly Rugby, my dog and Landscapes. In all honesty two cameras is an extravagance but I also help with some community work shooting Gala Days etc and that extra body for that and for near shots at rugby is so useful. I like the idea of keeping one D850 and selling the other to be replaced by a Z7 or perhaps a Z6ii. My main driver is the F4 lenses 14-24 and 24-70 to reduce my weight for landscapes. I'm pretty sure they will make my life much easier when walking to locations and I'll add my 70-300mm VR for a very lightweight set up. My only concern is the Z series and capturing shots of players going over for a try and other action fairly close(200mm lens) to the camera. Will the Z7 offer a decent chance of getting in focus shots and how much in terms of focus speed and blackout will I suffer. I would be looking to shoot at a fairly fast fps at 12 bit. If it can cover the rugby it will also do the dog I imagine but I tend to only take a single camera for that so not as important

I'd have no issues recommending a Z6 II for what you're describing....I'm using the original Z6 capturing my dog in action and I've had great results. Photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/luftwalk/albums/72157714331068162

I'd go with the Z6 II over the Z7 II simply due to better high ISO and faster FPS.

I'd have no issues recommending a Z6 II for what you're describing....I'm using the original Z6 capturing my dog in action and I've had great results. Photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/luftwalk/albums/72157714331068162

I'd go with the Z6 II over the Z7 II simply due to better high ISO and faster FPS.
Thanks, Your image prompted me to look through your Flickr already. Very similar types of shots to the ones I take of my dog and if that can be achieved with the Z6 then the Z6ii should be more than able. Some cracking shots of a beautiful dog. What AF mode are you typically using for the dog shots and have you had any joy with the animal eye AF

Thanks, Your image prompted me to look through your Flickr already. Very similar types of shots to the ones I take of my dog and if that can be achieved with the Z6 then the Z6ii should be more than able. Some cracking shots of a beautiful dog. What AF mode are you typically using for the dog shots and have you had any joy with the animal eye AF

I'm usually using Wide-S...but you need to learn to "predict" movement a bit because of the "slideshow" in the EVF. AF-A with animal Eye AF works reasonably well if you're in an open field with no clutter to confuse the AF system....or if the dog is a bigger part of the image so it can pick up the head/eyes...

I am in the fortunate position to be able to have both a Z6 and a Z6ii in my possession currently. If anyone has any questions or something they would like testing, please let me know.
How do you view the af-c performance in the traditional modes ie single point and the z versions of dynamic and group. I'd love to get a z7 ii but it is financially beyond me and I am hoping the mk 1 Zs will be comparable to the D850 I would trade in against them

I have literally just opened the box and started to have a look round it. Not too many differences so far.

@wookie6262 Would you believe that I never used dynamic and group on my DSLR's! so I cannot really make a comparison. I do like the wide area and narrow area on the mirrorless, first change I have noticed is that you can have eye/face detect when in those modes. They have added a little icon too around the outside of the box which is a nice touch.

I am in the fortunate position to be able to have both a Z6 and a Z6ii in my possession currently. If anyone has any questions or something they would like testing, please let me know.

I think the biggest question I would have is if the EVF "slideshow" in H* 12 FPS mode is any smoother in the Z6 II?

20201223_174214.jpg

New vs Old - Z5 (to be full spectrum converted) vs D7100 infrared (and as close to equivalent lenses as possible - 24-200 Z vs 18-200 DX)

Z7 vs D810

Not much in it compared to the D7100 (though does feel a little lighter I think?) but a big difference vs the D810 (obviously take the lenses out of the equation)

Annoyingly whilst the Amazon delivery of the CF Express memory card arrived before Christmas, it wasn't a memory card they delivered - it was some weird ribbon thing! Grrrr! So not been able to test drive the Z7 yet. However I'm liking the Z5 so far, though EVF does take getting used to.

View attachment 303572

New vs Old - Z5 (to be full spectrum converted) vs D7100 infrared (and as close to equivalent lenses as possible - 24-200 Z vs 18-200 DX)

Z7 vs D810

Not much in it compared to the D7100 (though does feel a little lighter I think?) but a big difference vs the D810 (obviously take the lenses out of the equation)

Annoyingly whilst the Amazon delivery of the CF Express memory card arrived before Christmas, it wasn't a memory card they delivered - it was some weird ribbon thing! Grrrr! So not been able to test drive the Z7 yet. However I'm liking the Z5 so far, though EVF does take getting used to.

Which CFExpress reader are you using? Out of the two I’ve purchased from Amazon, neither work reliably with my MacBook Pro 2020. Next step is purchasing one at over £100

Seriously?! £100?!!?! Dear god, and I thought the card was expensive enough! I laughed at the XQD prices...

Actually haven't got a reader yet, had perhaps naively assumed I'd be able to connect the camera to the PC and download that way....

Z7II takes SD as the second card doesn't it?

Seriously?! £100?!!?! Dear god, and I thought the card was expensive enough! I laughed at the XQD prices...

Actually haven't got a reader yet, had perhaps naively assumed I'd be able to connect the camera to the PC and download that way....

Z7II takes SD as the second card doesn't it?

It’s most likely my fussy MacBook. Yes downloading directly from camera works but not the most convenient and the wee door will likely eventually break / no longer seal

Well that's frustrating.... was told when I got my Z7 to get a CFExpress card as they were cheaper than the XQD cards. What I wasn't told was that I'd need an XQD card so that I could update the firmware to accept the CFExpress cards..... ARGH!!!!!!!!!! :banghead:

Well that's frustrating.... was told when I got my Z7 to get a CFExpress card as they were cheaper than the XQD cards. What I wasn't told was that I'd need an XQD card so that I could update the firmware to accept the CFExpress cards..... ARGH!!!!!!!!!! :banghead:
:eek:

Can anyone help. ?

I’m looking for feedback on the Z6ii eye af.

Does anyone know if this is the case with the Z6ii or can you just slot in a CFExpress card?

Well its a new year and having flogged my Sony A7Riii kit last year to pay for bi-fold doors to our new extension, I have thought sod it... New year, new camera. So Z6ii ordered ..... Thanks Barclaycard :)

Can anyone help. ?

I’m looking for feedback on the Z6ii eye af.

On the z6 it’s by no means reliable for critical circumstances at a Wedding for example however handy when doing moving portraiture and fast moving kids where is near enough impossible to keep up with single point. Not sure how much of an improvement comes with the z6ii and I’ve always been keen to try the Sony A9 to see how the leaders with Face and eye AF fair in comparison. One observation with my Z6 is that it can be slow to recognise faces and instead focuses on nearest object, even when faces are prominent in the frame. Whether this is improved with the dual processors in the z6ii I’m unsure. Also faces have to be pretty massive before it will move from face to eye AF, something I understand Sony is better at. For me, I just love how Nikon photos look, and haven’t been as keen to go back to Sony after my move from the A6300 some years ago to the D500

Last edited:
what are you looking for?

I’d like to know if it finds the eye reliably. Is sticky when the subject moves. I’m used to the Sony which is astonishing. Don’t actually need it to be as good. But better than the Z6

Need some help people. Trying some moon shots the other night with the z6 and 200-500. I've taken loads on the d750. But with the z6 I couldn't get the moon to look like a normal moon just a big white blob on the evf or the rear screen. Tried mf tried every option on the top dial to see if it was setting i had changed to see if that would make a difference. I took a few shots to see what they were like they were sort of normal looking just oof.

Any ideas anyone on what's going on

Does anyone know if this is the case with the Z6ii or can you just slot in a CFExpress card?

The Z6II (and Z7II) second card slot is an SD card, so I'd hope they'd be as usable for firmware updates as the XQD slot. This might be enough to make me want to send the Z7 back and get the Z7II

Otherwise I'd guess they natively support CFExpress, which the first generation cameras don't?

Last edited:
Back