Nikon Z* mirrorless

Need some help people. Trying some moon shots the other night with the z6 and 200-500. I've taken loads on the d750. But with the z6 I couldn't get the moon to look like a normal moon just a big white blob on the evf or the rear screen. Tried mf tried every option on the top dial to see if it was setting i had changed to see if that would make a difference. I took a few shots to see what they were like they were sort of normal looking just oof.

Any ideas anyone on what's going on
Perhaps some negative exposure compensation? It shouldn't be white, suggests you're blowing the highlights with the settings you have?

Perhaps some negative exposure compensation? It shouldn't be white, suggests you're blowing the highlights with the settings you have?

Yeah checked all that even set the camera to f16 and a real low shutter speed and it was the same. Its proper messing with my head

I’d like to know if it finds the eye reliably. Is sticky when the subject moves. I’m used to the Sony which is astonishing. Don’t actually need it to be as good. But better than the Z6

ive not noticed a massive difference/improvement to be fair. Eye AF isn’t what I would consider to be rock solid, I wouldn’t want to depend on it, either the Z6 or Z6ii. This leads me to think the dual processor is being used for other things as opposed to boosting AF performance.

ive not noticed a massive difference/improvement to be fair. Eye AF isn’t what I would consider to be rock solid, I wouldn’t want to depend on it, either the Z6 or Z6ii. This leads me to think the dual processor is being used for other things as opposed to boosting AF performance.
That's disappointing. Does the extra option of identifying part of the frame in which Face and Eye AF should concentrate improve the reliability?

The Z6II (and Z7II) second card slot is an SD card, so I'd hope they'd be as usable for firmware updates as the XQD slot. This might be enough to make me want to send the Z7 back and get the Z7II

Otherwise I'd guess they natively support CFExpress, which the first generation cameras don't?

All makes sense... i forgot about the SD card slot :)

Thanks. Appreciate your help.

What was your shutter speed.
My moon shots (D300) only came out well with fast shutter speeds. Maybe you are over exposing?
I think I need to explain myself better. No matter what settings I have on the evf and live view its a white blob. If I look at the shot after it sort of looks like it should just oof as I can't focus correctly on the moon

As someone with a finger hovering over the order button for a Z7ii this is slightly off-putting. I'm not looking for sports level eye AF but I was hoping for on par with the A7Riii.

I think I need to explain myself better. No matter what settings I have on the evf and live view its a white blob. If I look at the shot after it sort of looks like it should just oof as I can't focus correctly on the moon
When you manually focus, do you get a distance scale in the evf? Might be worth setting the lens at infinity and then trying to find the moon.

Fab. Love these.
That is a lovely shot and very well seen composition. Have you tried flipping it, it might change the journey the eye takes and make that main tree even more impactful. Love it the way it is though too

Thanks both.

Simon, you're right. The left-right thing is something I always forget when editing. I need a post-it on my iMac! :p

Good morning all,

My Z7ii will be arriving today but I need to order an L bracket for it. At the moment the 3 Legged Thing Zelda seems like the one to go for. Does anyoone know of a reason to not go for it?

Cheers,
Pete

Good morning all,

My Z7ii will be arriving today but I need to order an L bracket for it. At the moment the 3 Legged Thing Zelda seems like the one to go for. Does anyoone know of a reason to not go for it?

Cheers,
Pete
I have one of these on my Z7 and its really good

Good morning all,

Cheers,
Pete

Can‘t comment on the 3LTZ but I’m very happy with my Smallrig bracket for my Z5. Very well made, great fit and doesn’t cause issues with the FTZ adaptor. Also has a magnetic tool for unlocking the bolts that fits very nicely into the base of the bracket so it’s there if you need it. Cool idea, well implemented. Smallrig’s stuff is available on Amazon from the Smallrig shop.

In very close to grabbing a Z6. Am I right in thinking there are only a few small incremental updates between the 6 and 6ii? The biggest difference seems to be the dual card slots, in camera charging and built in intervalometer, while the dual processor seems to be there mainly to significantly increase the buffer?

Also, I have a Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM (I.e the first image stabilised version, not the one they released for a couple of years before replacing it with the Sport). Has anyone tried to use one with the adaptor? I spoke to a sales advisor who suggested I’d need to send it off to Sigma for a firmware upgade, as long as that would work!

A little wander yesterday morning before work, local council conference hall or alien capsules.
Obviously last one shows what it really looks like.
Z6 with Irix 11/4IMG_20210109_204204_655.jpgIMG_20210109_204115_172.jpg2021-01-09_12-21-00.jpg2021-01-09_12-20-46.jpg

Last edited:
Got a Z6 from the classified. It was a good way to test full frame mirrorless and see if I want to move from D850 to either the Z Nikons or do a dual set up with Sony. Impressed with the EVF for non moving shots. The low light focus seems fine to me and it is actually nice to be able to clearly see what you are shooting. Impressed with the high ISO quality too. I need to test to see how it is with moving subjects as I shoot quite a bit of sport and I know the Sony A7R IV or A9 will handle that without issue. Not fussed if the auto tracking works brilliantly as long as single point is able to keep up. The obligatory cat pic. This was manual focus using a 200% zoom on the evf, great feature. The animal af worked pretty well with the cats but struggled with my black lab. Not much light in the room though

Attachments

• _D610283.jpg
    _D610283.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 25
As I have missed 2 24-70 f4 S lens in the classifieds I have pulled the trigger on a new one from Panamoz, Got a nice little discount too :)
Hopefully Tuesday it should arrive and I have a nice sunset for that evening before my lockdown begins.

Out with my new to me Z6 today. It was a camera I needed to try as I am going to make a partial move to full frame mirrorless and lose one of my D850s and all my Olympus kit. I have a great selection of Nikon F mount glass so hoped the adapter would allow me to make a slow move into mirrorless and pick up lenses along the way.
First impressions are mixed. I shoot about half landscapes and half action. For landscapes I mostly use Live View so no great advantage for mirrorless except for the two F4 zooms which really appeal. For action the D850 is excellent and works brilliantly for my dog, rugby and the teenage kids when I can get them out with me.
Today showed me some of the advantages of mirrorless but a drawback that I doubt I can live with.
I loved the eye focus when I was shooting my dog and family when they were still. It worked pretty well with my daughter when she was walking too. I liked the EVF in terms of the look and the information but the lag is horrendous. Even with the options all tuned to make it as quick as possible I found it impossible to track my dog. It is a breeze with the D850 with the same lens, 70-200mm f2.8 vr2.
I'll give it a few more goes but I'm pretty sure it just isn't fit for half of the photography I will do. The A9 and some third party glass looks like the best alternative and then lag isn't an issue and may make tracking even easier than my D850s.
The image quality of the Z6 was very good and I didn't miss the extra pixels for this type of photography.
For anyone who takes images of slow moving or still subjects the camera would be brilliant but it was poor for action and I'm not even sure how the AF coped as the lag was so bad I couldn't keep the focus points on target.
Here is my favourite shot from today with animal af working well

Attachments

• 141884643_3983558131674418_8322135099413433269_o.jpg
    141884643_3983558131674418_8322135099413433269_o.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 23
Out with my new to me Z6 today. It was a camera I needed to try as I am going to make a partial move to full frame mirrorless and lose one of my D850s and all my Olympus kit. I have a great selection of Nikon F mount glass so hoped the adapter would allow me to make a slow move into mirrorless and pick up lenses along the way.
First impressions are mixed. I shoot about half landscapes and half action. For landscapes I mostly use Live View so no great advantage for mirrorless except for the two F4 zooms which really appeal. For action the D850 is excellent and works brilliantly for my dog, rugby and the teenage kids when I can get them out with me.
Today showed me some of the advantages of mirrorless but a drawback that I doubt I can live with.
I loved the eye focus when I was shooting my dog and family when they were still. It worked pretty well with my daughter when she was walking too. I liked the EVF in terms of the look and the information but the lag is horrendous. Even with the options all tuned to make it as quick as possible I found it impossible to track my dog. It is a breeze with the D850 with the same lens, 70-200mm f2.8 vr2.
I'll give it a few more goes but I'm pretty sure it just isn't fit for half of the photography I will do. The A9 and some third party glass looks like the best alternative and then lag isn't an issue and may make tracking even easier than my D850s.
The image quality of the Z6 was very good and I didn't miss the extra pixels for this type of photography.
For anyone who takes images of slow moving or still subjects the camera would be brilliant but it was poor for action and I'm not even sure how the AF coped as the lag was so bad I couldn't keep the focus points on target.
Here is my favourite shot from today with animal af working well

The lag is bad and I was contemplating moving to the Z6II, but I've heard it's no different.
Although I've managed to shoot professional and amateur MMA fights with the Z6, It's certainly no D850 or D500 for sports.

The lag is bad and I was contemplating moving to the Z6II, but I've heard it's no different.
Although I've managed to shoot professional and amateur MMA fights with the Z6, It's certainly no D850 or D500 for sports.
Cheers, that is certainly my first thoughts. I'd love to stay with Nikon but AF performance is second only to image quality for me and I need a camera to have both. Pondering an A9 or going crazy and looking at an R5. All I really want is a Nikon z850

Cheers, that is certainly my first thoughts. I'd love to stay with Nikon but AF performance is second only to image quality for me and I need a camera to have both. Pondering an A9 or going crazy and looking at an R5. All I really want is a Nikon z850
I'm waiting on a Z850 also.
Nikon's A9 alternative, should be along towards the end of the year, if rumours are to be believed and I'd certainly consider it too.
I must say that the Z glass is impressive and adapting the F-mount is flawless imo.
If thinking about the Sony A9, I'd wait until after the 26th of this month as the A9III is rumoured to be announced then.

Last edited:
I'm waiting on a Z850 also.
Nikon's A9 alternative, should be along towards the end of the year, if rumours are to be believed and I'd certainly consider it too.
I must say that the Z glass is impressive and adapting the F-mount is flawless imo.
If thinking about the Sony A9, I'd wait until after the 26th of this month as the A9III is rumoured to be announced then.
Yes, I read that there may be an announcement on a new A9. I'll see how I get on with the Z6 over the next few weeks as it may grow on me. It is very good at lots of things but the bar set by Sony and Canon is a bit out of reach for Nikon atm

I am looking at the Z6ll also and concerned about the auto focus issues. I have a question to anyone who owns one, will the camera work in the same standard auto focus modes like my D500? Instead of the eye focus etc? Or is that not available on the Z series?
Cheers for any replies.

I am looking at the Z6ll also and concerned about the auto focus issues. I have a question to anyone who owns one, will the camera work in the same standard auto focus modes like my D500? Instead of the eye focus etc? Or is that not available on the Z series?
Cheers for any replies.
The Z6 has similar AF modes but not the same. Single shot, dynamic and areas as well as auto and eye focus etc. I was out for my second go with my Z6 and got on better today

The one thing I was struggling with was when I had a small branch and I tried to prefocus ready for a bluetit or similar land, sometimes it would focus past to the field behind etc, just ready to set focus to Wide Area L this then appears to always look for closest object, just tested it indoors with some plant leaves and every time it picked the leaves even if it hunted past it came back to leaves, all other modes went right past to kitchen cupboards.

Not the best test so will try tomorrow but this could fix an annoying issue I was struggling with on the Z7 compared to D500 etc, the D500 still has the best AF of anything I have used but the Z7 I love the detail it gives for feather detail on small birds, fingers cross this really makes a difference to an annoying focus issue I had (I used to get same with Live View on DSLR’s where it would never have issue with eyepiece through mirror)

The one thing I was struggling with was when I had a small branch and I tried to prefocus ready for a bluetit or similar land, sometimes it would focus past to the field behind etc, just ready to set focus to Wide Area L this then appears to always look for closest object, just tested it indoors with some plant leaves and every time it picked the leaves even if it hunted past it came back to leaves, all other modes went right past to kitchen cupboards.

Not the best test so will try tomorrow but this could fix an annoying issue I was struggling with on the Z7 compared to D500 etc, the D500 still has the best AF of anything I have used but the Z7 I love the detail it gives for feather detail on small birds, fingers cross this really makes a difference to an annoying focus issue I had (I used to get same with Live View on DSLR’s where it would never have issue with eyepiece through mirror)
Wide area tries to select the closest object within the both. Dynamic goes for the centre point and uses those surrounding it to help out. In your scenario I would have thought manual focus to start with might be the easiest way and then dynamic when the bird took off.

Back