Nikon Z* mirrorless

Cut yer fingernails :exit:
my fingernails never touch the grip the way I hold the camera, always with strap and with the left hand on the lens to support. But grip rubbing does seem to be something which has plagued quite a few Nikon cameras. I had the rubber somewhat peeling off with my D200 although it was second hand and already on the way a bit when I got it. The Z6 still looks brand new.

my fingernails never touch the grip the way I hold the camera, always with strap and with the left hand on the lens to support. But grip rubbing does seem to be something which has plagued quite a few Nikon cameras. I had the rubber somewhat peeling off with my D200 although it was second hand and already on the way a bit when I got it. The Z6 still looks brand new.
Ditto with mine - not even when I use the Fn1 & 2 buttons. But I'll keep an eye on it now.

Hi - advice please?
I really need a fast 24-70 as my old Tamron doesn't work properly on the Z6 (and will not be getting new firmware apparently) so I need a new one. However, can't make up my mind. Lots of variables, including not knowing if I might have a different camera in the future!: :-/

* Z f4 - not fast enough and I can't use on my D810 which I need to be able to do.
* Z f2.8 - like the look of this but it's lot's of £ and again can't use on my D810. But, if I went mirrorless on both cameras in the future, this is what I'd want.
* Nikkor f2.8 non-VR - this makes sense as don't need VR with a Z camera but I would want with the D810. However, bought one second hand and focus was a bit pants.
* Nikkor f2.8 VR - expensive but would do all I needed, but, if I just went mirrorless in the future, I wouldn't need the VR and would have to use with adaptor.
* Tamron f2.8 G2 VR - this looks like a good option but I'd also have to buy the docking station (?) to make sure it had the new firmware (needs it for Z6)
* Sigma Art F2.8 - don't know anything about this one?

Can someone please make up my mind for me??
:)

I'd be very disappointing if my 3 month camera was wearing like that. What is the focusing speed like, I handled one today and it didnt seem that quick.

Seems to be commonplace with Nikon lately, had the rubber come away from a D810 and heard the same complaint in a few places.

In fairness, if you're going to have a problem that's the one you'd want but it seems a shame to get so much right then miss out on something that simple.

Hi - advice please?
I really need a fast 24-70 as my old Tamron doesn't work properly on the Z6 (and will not be getting new firmware apparently) so I need a new one. However, can't make up my mind. Lots of variables, including not knowing if I might have a different camera in the future!: :-/

* Z f4 - not fast enough and I can't use on my D810 which I need to be able to do.
* Z f2.8 - like the look of this but it's lot's of £ and again can't use on my D810. But, if I went mirrorless on both cameras in the future, this is what I'd want.
* Nikkor f2.8 non-VR - this makes sense as don't need VR with a Z camera but I would want with the D810. However, bought one second hand and focus was a bit pants.
* Nikkor f2.8 VR - expensive but would do all I needed, but, if I just went mirrorless in the future, I wouldn't need the VR and would have to use with adaptor.
* Tamron f2.8 G2 VR - this looks like a good option but I'd also have to buy the docking station (?) to make sure it had the new firmware (needs it for Z6)

Z 2.8. There, I’ve decided for you.

Hi - advice please?

Step 1 is probably working out if you WILL be going mirrorless, or not! If you absolutely need the new lens to work on both a z6 and your D810 which you’re not looking to get rid of any time soon, then you can immediately discount the Z lenses.

From what I’ve heard and read up on, the Nikon lenses are almost certainly going to work better with the FTZ than third party ones. There’s no point in having a fast f/2.8 lens is the AF isn’t quite as reliable as you want.

I’d suggest trying out the non-VR Nikon, if you still think the AF isn’t good enough then the VR option is your only remaining choice!

Personally, I had a 24-70 f/2.8 (non VR) and it worked beautifully on my Z6, but the comparatively tiny f/4 kit lens actually won me over. The f/2.8 is a lump at the best of times, but coupled with the FTZ it got pretty long. Having a camera i’m more likely to actually take places will benefit my photography much more than the f/2.8.

Hope that helps?

Last edited:
Had a good fondle of the Z6/7 at the Photo Show today. Initial impressions are very, very good. Much prefer the feel and ergonomics over their competition. Mind you picked up the D850 which was a mistake, how gorgeous that is! :LOL:

Hi - advice please?

Had the original 24-70 not on a z camera and thought it was cracking.

I think Nikon have lost the plot though with the new 24-70 £2200 pre order price [emoji43]

I think Nikon have lost the plot though with the new 24-70 £2200 pre order price [emoji43]

The Canon equivalent (28-70 RF... albeit a little wider at f2) is over 3 grand... Makes the Nikon offering look like a bargain! :ROFLMAO:

The f4 is all I need in this department. I'm hoping to be able to afford the 14-30 in due course but will wait until the price comes down which shouldn't take too long.

There was a time I’d definitely have had the 24-70 2.8s
Nowadays I’ve almost always got the 35mm on the front. I can see why 2.8 is must have for Amanda.
Might also reconsider my preorder for the wide angle zoom.
Trying to keep it simple...fat chance...

There was a time I’d definitely have had the 24-70 2.8s
Nowadays I’ve almost always got the 35mm on the front. I can see why 2.8 is must have for Amanda.
Might also reconsider my preorder for the wide angle zoom.
Trying to keep it simple...fat chance...
I'd be delighted if they would make a fixed-length f4 lens round about 100-150mm. My collection would be complete ... :ROFLMAO:

Those are lovely. We live relatively close to Harrogate yet have never visited the gardens.
Thank you Stephen, the Japanese Garden was only finished last summer so still has a long way to go to mature... it'll be impressive in the years ahead! (y)

Does the EVF do black out ?

Anyone use the Z6 with the Nikon 200-500 who also owns another full frame body? I also have the D850 - I know the AF on the Z6/7's is not as good (according to some) as the D5/D850/D500 bodies but is it really as bad as some reports say?

Yup, Nikon is dropping the prices which I find a indicator that perhaps they aren’t meeting the sales targets.
Good time to buy @rookies ;)
"Twas always so. Us earlier adaptors can take some comfort in the fact that we have been able to use and experience glittering new functions and quality for months at a considerably lower cost than renting for that period.

Any recommendations for a WIRED remote for the Z6? Will any Nikon-fit remote work? Can't get on with wireless ones.

Any recommendations for a WIRED remote for the Z6? Will any Nikon-fit remote work? Can't get on with wireless ones.
I bought the Nikon one which is shown on their website under the Z7, where it shows accessories...

Last edited:
So any guesses what the 70-200 will cost? Looking at the price of the 24-70 it’s going to be steep!

I’d guess at around £3k when it’s released! Personally I’m lusting after the 14-30, but will need to wait for it to come down a bit, as I’m not spending £1300 on one!

I’d guess at around £3k when it’s released! Personally I’m lusting after the 14-30, but will need to wait for it to come down a bit, as I’m not spending £1300 on one!
I'd lying if I said I wasn't jealous of this lens especially as a Sony user. Nikon has the right idea... Go as wide as possible without losing the filter thread and sacrifice a little at long end. You don't buy such a lens for long end, you mostly buy it for the wide end. Trumps the standard 16-35mm in my books.

There’s no question that for early ownership we are paying a premium. I’ve been wavering over my 14-30 preorder.

But I’m having it as soon as I can...

The only reason I would get the 14-30 is for weight/bulk saving. Optically and operationally I'm more than satisfied with the Tamron 17-35 f2.8=4. And it's saved me circa £800. The extra 3mm at the wide end would be useful in certain, limited for me, circumstances.

Reactions: dkh
How does the Tamron get on with the z6?

I’ve just posted my Nikon 16-35 to its new owner. Combined with the FTZ it was just enormous compared to the 14-30.

How does the Tamron get on with the z6?

I’ve just posted my Nikon 16-35 to its new owner. Combined with the FTZ it was just enormous compared to the 14-30.
Very well, as long as you make sure it has the latest firmware. Although mine was new dealer stock, it must have been from an earlier production as I had to send it to Introphoto for flashing, FOC of course. Granted the FTZ does make it bulky, but for an £800 saving ...

Back