Nikon Z* mirrorless

For the avoidance of doubt.
A 750 weighs 840gms with battery & memory cards.
A Z6 weigh 675gms with battery and memory card.

z7 also weighs 675gms. An 850 weighs 1005gms. If you are old and knackered like me this does make a difference.

Last edited:
Popped into Park this evening to handle the Z and also the Canon. I could live with either.
Planning on going for the Nikon. Just felt a little better to me.

Popped into Park this evening to handle the Z and also the Canon. I could live with either.
Planning on going for the Nikon. Just felt a little better to me.

You going to pull the trigger Trev and fully switch over?

I’ll get it with the kit lens at first. See how it goes...I’ll need to sell in order to furnish a lens line up.

Although I’ve just ordered a Siggy 35 for when it arrives.
Keep thinking that the (far too expensive) s35, being lighter might be a better fit.

See how I feel when the camera turns up. Hopefully early next week.

Although I’ve just ordered a Siggy 35 for when it arrives.
Keep thinking that the (far too expensive) s35, being lighter might be a better fit.

See how I feel when the camera turns up. Hopefully early next week.

Nice. Camera does look very good I must say.

Nice. Camera does look very good I must say.

Can’t wait. Thinking the three native available lenses would be a good start. Save the weight of the adapter.

@Cheese Scientist @Fatboy Dim

Any thing to share ? Pictures or thoughts.

@Cheese Scientist @Fatboy Dim

Any thing to share ? Pictures or thoughts.

Not much yet - haven't had a chance to get to grips with it fully.
I haven't got all my lenses with me but the 2 I have don't work as I'd like them to - Nikon 28-75 doesn't focus and my 35mm DX lens worked v nicely on D750 and D810 (with a bit of vignetting) but when on Z6 it makes it default to DX crop and I can't change it to FX which you can on the DSLRs (unless I'm missing something). Obs, don't anticipate any issues with Nikkor G lenses I have (eg 70-200 VRII) but I've got a Tamron 24-70 2.8 so I'm worried that's not going to work!
On the plus side, v happy with the silent shooting which is the main reason for the move as that's going to be v useful for me.

I was going to resist but Amazon had a couple of 24-70/FTZ kits on Prime for about £100 less than anyone else... so I impulse clicked. Arrived yesterday, all seems good with no buyer's remorse setting in yet!

Trevor, much like @Cheese Scientist I haven't fully got to grips with it yet. It was bought mainly as a lighter weight alternative to the D850 for travel and longer walk purposes, replacing a Fuji XT-10 that I was never entirely happy with the images from, and the workflow was too convoluted an alternative to the Nikon. Mainly using it with the native 24-70S, which I find to be a very good lens, particularly as a so called "kit" lens, and the 70-300 AF-P E lens on the FTZ, which is again of good optical quality (particularly for the price), and focuses as fast on the FTZ as it does on the 850. I have briefly tried my other lenses on the 6 (14-24, 24-120 and 200-500), and all focus as they do on the F mount, with the 200-500 being the slowest on both, although still acceptably fast. Hope to get out with it more in the New Year to give it a proper workout, and help me to settle on my best settings for my purposes.

Last edited:
Not much yet - haven't had a chance to get to grips with it fully.
I haven't got all my lenses with me but the 2 I have don't work as I'd like them to - Nikon 28-75 doesn't focus and my 35mm DX lens worked v nicely on D750 and D810 (with a bit of vignetting) but when on Z6 it makes it default to DX crop and I can't change it to FX which you can on the DSLRs (unless I'm missing something). Obs, don't anticipate any issues with Nikkor G lenses I have (eg 70-200 VRII) but I've got a Tamron 24-70 2.8 so I'm worried that's not going to work!
On the plus side, v happy with the silent shooting which is the main reason for the move as that's going to be v useful for me.

I was going to resist but Amazon had a couple of 24-70/FTZ kits on Prime for about £100 less than anyone else... so I impulse clicked. Arrived yesterday, all seems good with no buyer's remorse setting in yet!

Trevor, much like @Cheese Scientist I haven't fully got to grips with it yet. It was bought mainly as a lighter weight alternative to the D850 for travel and longer walk purposes, replacing a Fuji XT-10 that I was never entirely happy with the images from, and the workflow was too convoluted an alternative to the Nikon. Mainly using it with the native 24-70S, which I find to be a very good lens, particularly as a so called "kit" lens, and the 70-300 AF-P E lens on the FTZ, which is again of good optical quality (particularly for the price), and focuses as fast on the FTZ as it does on the 850. I have briefly tried my other lenses on the 6 (14-24, 24-120 and 200-500), and all focus as they do on the F mount, with the 200-500 being the slowest on both, although still acceptably fast. Hope to get out with it more in the New Year to give it a proper workout, and help me to settle on my best settings for my purposes.

Thanks chaps. Impatiently waiting for mine now.

Lovely shots.
Bit disappointed I can't quite read the information that's blue lit under the clock tower :)

@Fatboy Dim

Thanks. It’s the low light performance that’s driving my purchase.

UPS should be here today with mine. Weather looks bleak...I’ll drink a lot of tea while I’m looking out for the van.

Not claiming any great photographic or artistic merit in these shots, but they do show that (in my opinion) the 6 produces perfectly usable photos at ISO 3200.

Newbury Lights by Iain Buchanan, on Flickr

Newbury Christmas Tree by Iain Buchanan, on Flickr

Both from a pre Christmas walk around Newbury.

Nice pics but would expect very usuable at 3200. That’s a pretty low iso these days. Although I do remember iso 800 on my D60 looking so rough! Amazing how far things have come.

I’m regularly shooting at up to 10,000 with the the A73 and D750 that are pretty decent noise wise.

Anyone know when the 70-200s is due? I know Nikon road map says 2019 but that does cover a large period of time!!!

I have to admit, the Z6 and Z6 are intriguing me, as whist I have a only a D500 from Nikon (sold off all my other Nikon bodies and lenses) last year, it is a brand that I've used for over 30 years so really want them to do well with these bodies and lenses.

Out of interest, anyone know if Nikon is actually developing a battery grip for these bodies (as I've seen conflicting information). It would be good to have one when dealing with large lenses (like my Nikon 200-500) or just to improve battery life ?

I have to admit, the Z6 and Z6 are intriguing me, as whist I have a only a D500 from Nikon (sold off all my other Nikon bodies and lenses) last year, it is a brand that I've used for over 30 years so really want them to do well with these bodies and lenses.

Out of interest, anyone know if Nikon is actually developing a battery grip for these bodies (as I've seen conflicting information). It would be good to have one when dealing with large lenses (like my Nikon 200-500) or just to improve battery life ?

You're right, seems conflicting reports of a grip. Tend not to use them anymore, preferring to pocket a battery or two.
This looks good though

https://3leggedthing.com/zelda

UPS should be here today with mine. Weather looks bleak...I’ll drink a lot of tea while I’m looking out for the van.
Hope you enjoy it, there's nothing quite like the unboxing of a new camera! :)

I've had mine for a few days now and can see myself switching over totally to this system over the next year or so. An EVF that's a pleasure to use for once and ergonomics that I seem to find more intuitive than anything else that's come before... and this is only 'V1' of the system. I'm sure future models will appear that address most people's concerns (dual card slots etc)... looks like the beginning of the end for the DSLR.

Hope you enjoy it, there's nothing quite like the unboxing of a new camera! :)

I've had mine for a few days now and can see myself switching over totally to this system over the next year or so. An EVF that's a pleasure to use for once and ergonomics that I seem to find more intuitive than anything else that's come before... and this is only 'V1' of the system. I'm sure future models will appear that address most people's concerns (dual card slots etc)... looks like the beginning of the end for the DSLR.

Thanks. Interested in what lenses you’re using. Mines coming with kit 24-70. Planning on adding the z mount 35 & 50. I’ve also got Siggy 35 art.
Going for non art Siggy 85 f1.4 (when bank balance recovers)

I've heard there will be a battery grip, but it won't have any buttons or dials for portrait shooting. They've taken some heat on youtube over it.

Never having used a grip I don't know much of an issue this really is but it does seem a strange oversight.

Thanks. Interested in what lenses you’re using. Mines coming with kit 24-70. Planning on adding the z mount 35 & 50. I’ve also got Siggy 35 art.
Going for non art Siggy 85 f1.4 (when bank balance recovers)

I got the 24-70 & FTZ kit too... The Z6 & 24-70 combo is very nicely balanced and compact, a pleasure to shoot with. Haven't tried many of my F mount lenses yet but I have a manual focus Irix 11mm which is great with the EVF, makes accurate manual focussing a breeze!(y)

I got the 24-70 & FTZ kit too... The Z6 & 24-70 combo is very nicely balanced and compact, a pleasure to shoot with. Haven't tried many of my F mount lenses yet but I have a manual focus Irix 11mm which is great with the EVF, makes accurate manual focussing a breeze!(y)

I see KIPON now have a range of z fit manual lenses

Turning EFCS permanently on seems to be beneficial on the Z’s.

Nice pics but would expect very usuable at 3200
Thanks, I guess I have just been uncomfortable using any other camera I have owned beyond 1600, so to realise that I could happily set Auto ISO to 6400 without worrying was something of a minor revelation.

You're right, seems conflicting reports of a grip. Tend not to use them anymore, preferring to pocket a battery or two.
This looks good though

https://3leggedthing.com/zelda

Looks good, wish I'd realised it was coming before getting the Smallrig grip, which arrived today. I suppose at least the Smallrig gives me somewhere to rest my little finger.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SmallRig...775678?hash=item3d7c801c3e:g:DQsAAOSwIbtcDg5l

Back