Nikon Z* mirrorless

Used my 50mm z mount today. I’d set up my z lenses to use the control ring for exposure compensation. Big mistake. The ring is easily nudged without realising it. Turned it off now.
Lens performance is excellent.
Sadly I’ve been asked not to share pictures of Granddaughter from today. Apparently she’s not looking her best...
Doting grandparents didn’t notice...

I’d set up my z lenses to use the control ring for exposure compensation. Big mistake.

FWIW, I've got exposure compensation set on the command dial - seems to work OK for me, and more difficult to nudge accidentally. Still messing with the settings though...

Ok. Has anyone pre ordered the 14-30?

Considering a wide angle zoom. Some of the 3rd party options are pretty pricey. May check out the 18-35.

Well, my new Nikon Z6 isn’t arriving anytime soon. I ordered the kit (body, 24-70 lens and FTZ adapter), from Panamoz a day before they removed Nikon equipment from their website, and just noticed a full credit from PayPal for the amount paid hit my account the day after. Looks like they couldn’t supply it after all :(:(

Asked for clarification via their support email.

Well, my new Nikon Z6 isn’t arriving anytime soon. I ordered the kit (body, 24-70 lens and FTZ adapter), from Panamoz a day before they removed Nikon equipment from their website, and just noticed a full credit from PayPal for the amount paid hit my account the day after. Looks like they couldn’t supply it after all :(:(

Bummer. Keep us informed

Oh that’s a s***ter. Will be interesting to hear what they say!

Coming back to this thread then - I still don't see why anyone would buy a Z6 over a D750 (which I have)

Ok so its silent (nice for Weddings), but what else does it do that may make a D750 lover change to the Z6?

Adding - considering its twice the price - so a D750 is BOGOF by comparison

Dave

I chose to Dave. I’ve had several Nikon Full Frame DSLR including the D750.
I’d switched to Fuji. When I decided to return to Full frame I wanted to continue with mirror less.
I looked at Sony A7iii, Canon RF and the Z6. By now I had no collection of lenses to influence my decision .
Went with Z6. Happy so far.
I don’t shoot for profit. It’s just for fun.

I chose to Dave. I’ve had several Nikon Full Frame DSLR including the D750.
I’d switched to Fuji. When I decided to return to Full frame I wanted to continue with mirror less.
I looked at Sony A7iii, Canon RF and the Z6. By now I had no collection of lenses to influence my decision .
Went with Z6. Happy so far.
I don’t shoot for profit. It’s just for fun.

No probs with shooting for fun, or even buying for fun / impulse / to try something different

I just can't yet see why the D750 isn't the better option given the price difference (ignoring the single card issue for pro use); I'm sure the Z6 is better at some things, but I can't see it as a 2x price option

Enlighten me :)

Dave

No probs with shooting for fun, or even buying for fun / impulse / to try something different

I just can't yet see why the D750 isn't the better option given the price difference (ignoring the single card issue for pro use); I'm sure the Z6 is better at some things, but I can't see it as a 2x price option

Dave

Thing is, although price is always a consideration. I simply wanted to stick with mirror less. Yep I coulda bought a couple D750...considered the Df. It’s got a wonderful sensor.
Like I say, happy so far.

Dave

It’s a tough one. Video is superior on the Z6, it’s lighter, has an EVF which is ‘what you see is what you get’ but it’s a tough choice given how good the D750 still is.

Coming back to this thread then - I still don't see why anyone would buy a Z6 over a D750 (which I have)

You can get some really good bargains on the D810 too but if I wasn't committed I would worry about future lens support, ultimately you'll have to upgrade to a Z series if you want Nikon's newer lenses eventually.

I emailed Panamoz re the Nikon situation, and this is what they came back with

Dear Nick,

Thanks for your email. Sorry for the confusion. Unfortunately at this moment, there is a stock shortage on Nikon products. However we expect they will be back in stock later this week, and we will be selling them again as before.

We will keep you updated closely.

Panamoz website back up this morning but no Nikon equipment featured.

Ok so its silent (nice for Weddings), but what else does it do that may make a D750 lover change to the Z6?

Adding - considering its twice the price - so a D750 is BOGOF by comparison
Ooh, new, shiny shiny.

Dave

EVF :)
I have no shame in admitting I am an EVF fanboi.
While I don't care for brands I never bought CaNikon for a long time because shooting with OVF feels like a downgrade and backwards.

Dave

I'm selling my D750 now I've got the Z6, purely because of the potential for silent shooting which is something that could be really useful for me. I've always hated the sound of the D750 shutter (even on silent). Still keeping my D810 though. :)

I probably won't be buying the Z6 (or 7) anytime soon, but I too would choose a good EVF anytime. The ability to get a better idea of the final result without constant chimping is my preferred way of working. Other peoples requirements/preferences are also correct to themselves.

Ok - so what I'm hearing here is that the shutter is silent, and that some find the EVF useful

True I would defo like a silent shutter, but while the EVF I'm sure is useful its not a game changer for me - so the obvious thing for me to do is keep my D750s until at the very least the Z6(s) has 2 card slots, that defo is a deal breaker for my Wedding paranoia :D

Cheers all

Dave

All the Nikon kit back up on Panamoz

Ok - so what I'm hearing here is that the shutter is silent, and that some find the EVF useful

True I would defo like a silent shutter, but while the EVF I'm sure is useful its not a game changer for me - so the obvious thing for me to do is keep my D750s until at the very least the Z6(s) has 2 card slots, that defo is a deal breaker for my Wedding paranoia :D

Cheers all

Dave

As a wedding photographer, the silent shutter isn’t as useful as you think. If you use under certain lighting you get banding and anything with fast action you get that weird distortion.

£2205 with 24-70 and adaptor. Decent price!

As a wedding photographer, the silent shutter isn’t as useful as you think. If you use under certain lighting you get banding and anything with fast action you get that weird distortion.

depends on the body. A9 doesn't have most of these issues. I imagine those improvements will eventually trickle down.
I imagine its fairly useful for the ceremony itself but otherwise probably not really an issue.

How is that sigma performing on it mate?

Honestly. Only used it for a few pictures of the baby so far. All wide open. Love the thing. Focus speed is adequate. Bit of a lump. I guess that’s the penalty for returning to full frame. No going back...

Thing is, although price is always a consideration. I simply wanted to stick with mirror less. Yep I coulda bought a couple D750...considered the Df. It’s got a wonderful sensor.
Like I say, happy so far.

Trevor - hope you don't mind me asking? Why the Df over the D4; especially since you've had a D4 and the D4 (supposedly) is much better performing whilst using the same sensor?
(sorry for a sidetrack...........just ignore if you think it takes the thread at to much of a tangent.)

Back