Nikon Z* mirrorless

VERY tempted to pull the trigger on Z6/24-70 kit from Panamoz but I'm still deliberating between this and the A7III. If you current owners were starting out fresh (no lenses to tie you in), would you still pick the Z6 over the A7III?

Also is the 24-70 S really £1k? Puzzled as the Z6 with the lens is only £245 more than the body only. Surely a bargain??

Like you I considered Sony along with Canon and Nikon. I’ve had Sony A72, Canon 5D and several Nikon Full Frame bodies. Before purchase I only had 1 lens that’d work on the Z. A Sigma 150-600, but that’s reserved for my D500.
The Sony was high on my list, the autofocus has a very good reputation. I discounted it because of the ergonomics. That left Canon or Nikon. Came so close to buying the Canon because of their colours.
Tried Z6 and RF in the hand and plumped for the Nikon.
Very happy so far. Yep the kit 24-70 is a bargain when bought as part of a kit.

Like you I considered Sony along with Canon and Nikon. I’ve had Sony A72, Canon 5D and several Nikon Full Frame bodies. Before purchase I only had 1 lens that’d work on the Z. A Sigma 150-600, but that’s reserved for my D500.
The Sony was high on my list, the autofocus has a very good reputation. I discounted it because of the ergonomics. That left Canon or Nikon. Came so close to buying the Canon because of their colours.
Tried Z6 and RF in the hand and plumped for the Nikon.
Very happy so far. Yep the kit 24-70 is a bargain when bought as part of a kit.

Looks like a lovely bit of kit. Just a shame that it seems the FPS is not up to scratch. Well still conflicting info!

Hubba. 14-30 f4. This Spring. Launch price USA $1299

I ordered one with FTZ and 24-70 lens, I read today that Nikon are to provide Eye AF and confirmed CFExpress updates, what a wonderful bonus.

Z6. Sony is 10fps with CAF. So Z6 seems to be 5.5fps with CAF.

I just tried it, it still shoots 12fps with CAF enabled and working.

As Fraser White said, exposure is locked, not autofocus. According to the manual:
While the shutter-release button is held down, the camera records up to about 9 frames per second
(Z 7) or 12 frames per second (Z 6). Exposure is fixed at the value for the first shot in each series; optional flash units cannot be used. Flicker reduction has no effect.

I’m hoping Nikon will keep adding/fixing features with firmware updates. Looking promising so far. Eye af will be welcome as will pc express for speed. Looking good for videography.

I just tried it, it still shoots 12fps with CAF enabled and working.

As Fraser White said, exposure is locked, not autofocus. According to the manual:
While the shutter-release button is held down, the camera records up to about 9 frames per second
(Z 7) or 12 frames per second (Z 6). Exposure is fixed at the value for the first shot in each series; optional flash units cannot be used. Flicker reduction has no effect.
What’s the FPS with exposure changes?

So going on current prices the 70-200 will probably be like 3k?!

Yeah. But launch prices are always high. 12 months time will see the street price drop.

At least this Z6may slow the exodus to SonyA7??
Maybe, although if I was buying from scratch I’d still buy the Sony (if my hands were a bit smaller ;))

Gulp !!!

WEX pre order for the14-30 £1349

Gulp !!!

WEX pre order for the14-30 £1349
These new lens prices are getting ridiculous imo, but that goes for lenses in general. The Nikon 16-35mm f4 is over a grand and that's been around for ages. Makes it hard not to start buying grey.

What’s the FPS with exposure changes?

In reality that means you get 12 (max) images per second with no exposure change.

I'm struggling to imagine what lighting conditions could vary that amount in a second that would create a problem? Even then, to what extent wouldn't you get a workable/usable couple of images? Answers on a postcard :)

In reality that means you get 12 (max) images per second with no exposure change.

I'm struggling to imagine what lighting conditions could vary that amount in a second that would create a problem? Even then, to what extent wouldn't you get a workable/usable couple of images? Answers on a postcard :)

Thinking the same really! How much can exposure change in 1 second?

I'm waiting for the 70-200s to come out before I have a look!

Yep. When I used to shoot Equestriian I’d often use AE lock for showjumping , particularly when subject was backlit. Fire a short burst, job done. Locking the exposure in most scenarios won’t be a problem. It may even be a benefit.

wonder how a hard Brexit might affect the price of Photo equipment (including Grey imports from Chain / Hong Kong). Just wondering if sooner or later might be the time to spring for a Z6 if I'm really decided on getting one ?

wonder how a hard Brexit might affect the price of Photo equipment (including Grey imports from Chain / Hong Kong). Just wondering if sooner or later might be the time to spring for a Z6 if I'm really decided on getting one ?

Pondered myself, decided I can’t see the future and I wanted it. Ordered from Panamoz. In my hands within 3 days.

Depends on how it goes, I would assume the most likely short term outcome is a drop in sterling versus other currencies so buying immediately when it happens is probably going to lose you a little bit of money but if they somehow manage to renege on leaving the EU it could lead to an immediate increase as markets would probably love that.

Given how much sterling has dropped in a relatively short amount of time I would expect in the long run we're due for it to rise but it's really hard to say given how poorly our politicians are handling this situation.

Just reading up on this, and see the cards are XQD. A quick look seems to see them priced at £130 for a 32GB! Is that right? or is there an alternative?

PROAV seem to have Sony 32Gb XQD cards for £78... that's just with a quick look, better offers may be out there. Also, CFExpress will be compatible at some point.

I was pleasantly surprised to have a 64Gb Sony XQD card bundled in with my Z6/24-70/FTZ kit too... I didn't realise they were including that.

Just reading up on this, and see the cards are XQD. A quick look seems to see them priced at £130 for a 32GB! Is that right? or is there an alternative?
Check around and you might find larger for similar price but ATM they are still well over-priced!

PROAV seem to have Sony 32Gb XQD cards for £78... that's just with a quick look, better offers may be out there. Also, CFExpress will be compatible at some point.

I was pleasantly surprised to have a 64Gb Sony XQD card bundled in with my Z6/24-70/FTZ kit too... I didn't realise they were including that.

Where was that sourced? Grey or UK? Panamoz are offering them at £160 for 120GB

Last edited:
Back