Nikon Z* mirrorless

that's why it's such a good deal though of course you get the card free if bought through an EU retailer. But the card, expensive though it is, is nowhere near the price of the lens which is so far turning out to be a cracker. I've occasionally seen a bit of fringing wide open at 24mm, otherwise struggle to see any real weaknesses so far.

Really like the look of that 24-70. No idea why it took Nikon until a lens mount change to make an f/4 24-70. It would suit me down to the ground but I’d also want an f/4 tele zoom and a fast wide lens before I make the move. Hoping some of the third parties start to bring stuff to the table too.

The 70-300 AF-P performs well on the Z’s.
Reasonably balanced with the adapter.
There’s a 20mm 1.8 on the roadmap. In the meantime the G version is very good.

Good to so much discussion in here.

Really like the look of that 24-70. No idea why it took Nikon until a lens mount change to make an f/4 24-70. It would suit me down to the ground but I’d also want an f/4 tele zoom and a fast wide lens before I make the move. Hoping some of the third parties start to bring stuff to the table too.

Thing is, F mount and ftz work perfectly. You could always use 70-200 f4 in F mount.

[QUOTE="Stephen L, post: 8361700, member: 77534
. Fuji stuff is going off to MPB.[/QUOTE]

Decided to let it go already ? Quite a leap of faith.

[QUOTE="Stephen L, post: 8361700, member: 77534
. Fuji stuff is going off to MPB.

Decided to let it go already ? Quite a leap of faith.[/QUOTE]
That’s me! I had to face up to the fact that, though technically the X-H1 is excellent, for some reason Fuji is no longer “grabbing” me. I know I will miss the excellent ergonomics as I much prefer analogue controls, but hopefully, if I don’t over-configure, I may remember what most of the buttons and switches on the Nikon do.

Decided to let it go already ? Quite a leap of faith.
That’s me! I had to face up to the fact that, though technically the X-H1 is excellent, for some reason Fuji is no longer “grabbing” me. I know I will miss the excellent ergonomics as I much prefer analogue controls, but hopefully, if I don’t over-configure, I may remember what most of the buttons and switches on the Nikon do.

Pretty brave. I'm sticking with both for the time being. But there's no doubt which system I think is better so far and I suspect you'll agree when your Z6 arrives. You likely won't need to do a huge amount of configuring.

My general advice is start off putting the reformat on the My Menu and the Battery info so you get a percentage readout. Perhaps the EFCS as well as a number have reported it eliminates any chance of shutter shock but increases the min shutter to 1/2000 so in bright conditions you may need to switch back again. You'll probably want to put exposure bracketing on/off somewhere handy and don't forget that unlike Fuji where exposure multishot bracketing is actually on the drive menu, with Nikon you need to choose separately whether you want to activate CONT in addition to the bracketing or not -- certainly if you want to use LR's HDR merge, you'll want continuous shot. Then again, the DR is so good with the Z6, you'll rarely need such a thing. Anything else is probably up to you but remember that unlike most of the Fujis, you can put most things on either the My Menu or the i panel. I'm sure we'll all be exchanging hints and tips with each other as we get to know the system.

Pretty brave. I'm sticking with both for the time being. But there's no doubt which system I think is better so far and I suspect you'll agree when your Z6 arrives. You likely won't need to do a huge amount of configuring.

My general advice is start off putting the reformat on the My Menu and the Battery info so you get a percentage readout. Perhaps the EFCS as well as a number have reported it eliminates any chance of shutter shock but increases the min shutter to 1/2000 so in bright conditions you may need to switch back again. You'll probably want to put exposure bracketing on/off somewhere handy and don't forget that unlike Fuji where exposure multishot bracketing is actually on the drive menu, with Nikon you need to choose separately whether you want to activate CONT in addition to the bracketing or not -- certainly if you want to use LR's HDR merge, you'll want continuous shot. Then again, the DR is so good with the Z6, you'll rarely need such a thing. Anything else is probably up to you but remember that unlike most of the Fujis, you can put most things on either the My Menu or the i panel. I'm sure we'll all be exchanging hints and tips with each other as we get to know the system.
All useful info which I’m trying to soak up.

Changing tack slightly, thoughts on 3rd party lenses such as Sigma and Tamron?

All useful info which I’m trying to soak up.

Changing tack slightly, thoughts on 3rd party lenses such as Sigma and Tamron?

I bought the Siggy 35 art. Used it on the adapter. Works great. Socking great lump, but if you want f1.4...
Bought the native 35, bloody expensive and f1.8. Much lighter. Sharp wide open (so is the Siggy)
Still have the Siggy. Not sure I’ll use it again.
Have the Siggy pre art 85 f1.4. Huge on the Z. But terrific performer.

Cheers. Does that mean the FTZ clears the clamp below? Doesn't mention it that I can see but looks extremely close on one of the images.

Full compatibility with FTZ is mentioned.

Full compatibility with FTZ is mentioned.

I must be being thick tonight. I can't see that. But I guess the real question is whether you can remove the FTZ while the camera is mounted on a typical arca clamp. I'll have to have a proper read up on it.

I must be being thick tonight. I can't see that. But I guess the real question is whether you can remove the FTZ while the camera is mounted on a typical arca clamp. I'll have to have a proper read up on it.

83262A25-4EBE-463F-8106-055B78E2316F.png

Weird. Still can't see that on the link. But the big question is still whether I'd need to take camera off the tripod to remove the FTZ. Might email 3LT. They're normally pretty good with comms.

Apparently Nikon approached 3legged thing to come up with dedicated bracket. I’d be pretty confident of removing adapter with it fitted.

Certainly doesn't on the Smallrig bracket on an RRS clamp, so I imagine it won't on an 3 Legged Thing bracket either

Cool. so you can remove the FTZ while the camera is still mounted on the tripod? In both landscape and portrait? It seems that you can on some L-brackets and not others.

Brill. That's a big concern removed. Just need to rob a bank and I'm good to go. Do like the idea of a Z7 with FTZ and 24-70.

So.. has anyone used the Z6 and the Z7?...

I have a Z7 but because we are moving doing very little photography. I’ve not used a Z6.
Here is a picture of Oscar the cat, cropped to about 20% of original size. With 24-70 lens @ F4. Camera standard profile.
IBIS works well as I was sat in the sofa leant forward, holding the camera near ground level.

Oscar 2 Jan 19 small.jpg

Last edited:
As ever, image is sharper on my home screen than on here.

That's what they all say! ;)

Out of interest can you comment on how good the IBIS is compared to any other bodies? Love the Olympus system so anything even remotely like that would be a real winner for me.

I'm getting around 3-4 fully useable stops with the Z6, either the 24-70 or 70-300 with the latter using mainly the OIS if I understand correctly. Pretty respectable. My original OM-D was a bit better at wideangle and Fuji 50-140 f2.8 at telephoto with perhaps around a stop in each case. The latest and greatest Olympi supposedly trash anything else out there. That's because it's a relatively small sensor to push around and you can't get the same (yet) with 35mm.

Does anyone use adapted legacy lenses (other than Nikon) on their Z? I've got a couple of nice mid-telephoto lenses - an Oly 100mm and a Pentax 135mm - I am wondering about using. I presume I would just stick a Nikon F adaptor on them and use them on the FTZ?

Just had a Z6 delivered, and although I haven’t used it in earnest yet, it’s a lovely thing to hold! It’s hard to describe how nice a decent EVF is too.

Have a 24-70 f/2.8 G, but bought the Z6 with the 24-70 kit (+FTZ) and will probably sell the f/2.8. The size difference is huge, I don’t need f/2.8 a lot of the time, and the S lens is much quieter using AF during video.

Can’t wait to try it out properly!

Mine got stuck in Germany last night on its way from HK. But at least it’s in the UK - well, East Midlands airport - so it should be trunked up to Dewsbury overnight and, fingers crossed, finally on to me tomorrow.

Well, it's arrived! Good service from Panamoz - it's the first time I've used them and they've lived up to their reputation. The battery's charging just now so I've not been able to do anything but fit the lens, but first impressions are positive. Bear in mind that this is the first Nikon I've owned since my FM back in 1983. It's not as big as I expected - feels slightly smaller than its predecessor the Fuji X-H1, and the lens is quite a bit smaller and lighter than the 16-55. Where you knew you had something heavy hanging on the end of the Fuji's body, the Nikon in comparison seems more wieldy. I'm not sure about having to extend the lens before you use it, though, but I'll get used to it. All the controls fall to hand, but so far they're not as intuitive as the analogue ones on the Fuji. More impressions to come once the battery is charged and I've set it up.

Back