Nikon Z* mirrorless

What are people using in the 70mm + range on their Z body?

I have a 70-200mm 2.8 with FTZ but it is a monster (see attached pic of it next to the 24-70 f4 S) on there and it is difficult to hold for long periods and not practical at all.

This is what I'm using at the moment - no choice! Wouldn't buy a z-mount 70-200 anytime soon as it'll be mucho £££ and won't work with my D810.
Seems to do the trick:
Louis Theroux by amanda benson, on Flickr

Don’t know much about Z mount 70-200. I would think they’ll leave out inbuilt vr. But it’s 2.8. Expect to be a bit of a lump.

It’s looks almost identical to the latest Nikon version with an adaptor built in!! Weight wise I reckon it will be similar and the zoom is at the front again.

I may swap out my 2.8 for the 70-200mm f4. It is 700g lighter which should help balance out the weight. Below is a picture from a member on a FB group with the f4 attached to the Z6 with FTZ.

Anyone on here using the f4 70-200mm??

Attachments

• 53391184_10217278885391698_8589854147262545920_n.jpg
    53391184_10217278885391698_8589854147262545920_n.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 45
I may swap out my 2.8 for the 70-200mm f4. It is 700g lighter which should help balance out the weight. Below is a picture from a member on a FB group with the f4 attached to the Z6 with FTZ.

Anyone on here using the f4 70-200mm??

Looks a better fit, so long as you're happy with f4

I'm also 70-300 AF-P. I wouldn't rule out a native f4 but in the meantime the AF-P is surprisingly good and it's actually sharp at 300mm which a 70-200 obviously wouldn't be :) Most reviews suggest the newcomer can match the f4 F mount in most aspects of IQ.

Last edited:
Hmm ... I must stop reading this group page. Having bought a Z6 and 24-70 F4 I thought that's it. I have no need to get anything else for awhile. However, I was then talking to a friend over the weekend who is a bit of a mentor to me, has his own photographic business etc (and he is quite good) and he teaches me things as I go along and he suggested some lens I should consider for a wedding I have coming up (daughter). I then came on here an hour later and read all the above comments about the FTZ and lens .... haven't you lot got anything better to do than to drip drip into my head :puke: I have now bought an FTZ adaptor and am considering my zoom options... I knew I should have just done the decorating as ordered last weekend ........

So anyone using D or G lenses with their Z6 and adaptor. Wondering if you lose any IQ or features by using them on the Z6.

D's are not autofocus. I have none these days.
G's work well. AF is accurate.

So anyone using D or G lenses with their Z6 and adaptor. Wondering if you lose any IQ or features by using them on the Z6.
An annoying feature loss (sort of) is that I happily use my cheap as chips f1.8 35mm DX G (crop) lens on full frame. With D810 (for example), one can set the camera to not auto-crop whereas on the Z6 it auto-crops to DX and it can't be over-ridden. I asked the nice chap in the Nikon school about it and he'd noticed the same 'functionality'. He thought that it was unlikely that Nikon would change this as they prob don't want idiots like me using DX lenses on their shiny new mirrorless cameras (my words, not his)!

An annoying feature loss (sort of) is that I happily use my cheap as chips f1.8 35mm DX G (crop) lens on full frame. With D810 (for example), one can set the camera to not auto-crop whereas on the Z6 it auto-crops to DX and it can't be over-ridden. I asked the nice chap in the Nikon school about it and he'd noticed the same 'functionality'. He thought that it was unlikely that Nikon would change this as they prob don't want idiots like me using DX lenses on their shiny new mirrorless cameras (my words, not his)!

It does work surprisingly well on full frame though doesn't it?! Lightroom auto correct almost makes it look normal. Shame it doesn't function like that on the Z's

Any thoughts on the budget friendly Z that's in the works? What do you think it will lack in comparison to the Z6? Nikon clearly want to compete against the RP for the budget market, will they keep the IBIS on a lower end model? That could be the deciding factor for many - if it's to be similarly priced. Rumours suggest it will use normal SD cards, which is a bonus to the budget photographer, rather than a downgrade.

Just wondering if any Z6 owners have tried out DxO Photolab 2.2 since this camera was finally supported a few days ago? To those of us previously or still in the Fuji camp, it will of course be an unknown quantity due to lack of support and it's a long time since I last investigated it. It's best known for its class-leading PRIME noise reduction. I must say I found the out of the box default colour and tonality rendering hits the mark on average better than anything else out there but, quite apart from the lack of real DAM features, there is to me a show-stopper that only above 75% will it try to produce an accurate rendering on screen as sharpening and fringing etc are not activated. There's a slight crudeness as well which reminds one of the more consumer orientated software like ON1 or Luminar.

Without wanting to turn this into any sort of detailed discussion which would be better off in a separate thread, just curious for any specific reactions from Z owners-- particularly from those who may be new to it.

Any thoughts on the budget friendly Z that's in the works? What do you think it will lack in comparison to the Z6? Nikon clearly want to compete against the RP for the budget market, will they keep the IBIS on a lower end model? That could be the deciding factor for many - if it's to be similarly priced. Rumours suggest it will use normal SD cards, which is a bonus to the budget photographer, rather than a downgrade.
Judging from what Canon are offering at around the price of the Fuji X-T3, I'd stay well clear. There are likely to be simply too many compromises. On the other hand, when they introduce budget-friendly lenses, then that might be another matter altogether, although by that time I will already have the lenses I need and will not want any more (will I???:confused:)

Just wondering if any Z6 owners have tried out DxO Photolab 2.2 since this camera was finally supported a few days ago? To those of us previously or still in the Fuji camp, it will of course be an unknown quantity due to lack of support and it's a long time since I last investigated it. It's best known for its class-leading PRIME noise reduction. I must say I found the out of the box default colour and tonality rendering hits the mark on average better than anything else out there but, quite apart from the lack of real DAM features, there is to me a show-stopper that only above 75% will it try to produce an accurate rendering on screen as sharpening and fringing etc are not activated. There's a slight crudeness as well which reminds one of the more consumer orientated software like ON1 or Luminar.

Without wanting to turn this into any sort of detailed discussion which would be better off in a separate thread, just curious for any specific reactions from Z owners-- particularly from those who may be new to it.

I am just trialling DXO PL2 at the moment though I use LR/PS as a norm. I do have ON1 RAW as well but I won't be renewing my subscription at the end of the month. Early days with DXO but like what I see. The big frustration is the lack of guidance (books, Youtube etc) compared to LR. I am not too bothered by it having basic DAM features. I get frustrated with LR and importing etc. Perhaps as I start to take more photos it may become more of a necessity. I understand that DXO intend improving their DAM features with time.

I do like the easy of using DXO and will continue to run it in the back ground to see if I want to use it full time. Interesting to read your comments regarding sharpening etc as that is a major selling point with DXO. Time will tell ...

Judging from what Canon are offering at around the price of the Fuji X-T3, I'd stay well clear. There are likely to be simply too many compromises. On the other hand, when they introduce budget-friendly lenses, then that might be another matter altogether, although by that time I will already have the lenses I need and will not want any more (will I???:confused:)

If the RP had IBIS it would be a steal, the budget Z might well have it. If it doesn't they might be wasting their time lagging behind as Canon already have a 70mp R with IBIS in the works. The complaints about the RP online are almost all video-based, this shouldn't bother photographers at all.

Lower weight chassis? Lack of weather sealing? More emphasis on shooting presets? Budget lenses? Lesser video spec (whatever this video thing is)? And because of this, yes possibly SD card? In other words, aimed more at the "first dslr/mirrorless shooter".

I do like the easy of using DXO and will continue to run it in the back ground to see if I want to use it full time. Interesting to read your comments regarding sharpening etc as that is a major selling point with DXO. Time will tell ...

Just to make it clear, the actual sharpening is usually very good with some adjustment of settings. The problem is that it's not shown on screen at normal viewing sizes. However if the idea is to use DxO as a developer and export the image for viewing elsewhere, then it's not such an issue. For ease of use, it rates very highly I would say.

Lower weight chassis? Lack of weather sealing? More emphasis on shooting presets? Budget lenses? Lesser video spec (whatever this video thing is)? And because of this, yes possibly SD card? In other words, aimed more at the "first dslr/mirrorless shooter".

And those simply on a budget who can't fork out £2K+ for a new camera but fancy getting in on the FFML act. I see the 'aimed at beginner' thing bandied about a lot, I don't think it's beginners looking for the cheaper versions, they are far more likely to go direct to cheaper APSC models, because the lenses are also dirt cheap and easy to get on with.

I think you're right on the rest, it'll be mostly plastic and probably not have all the 4K options - it won't be WR either and I did hear a suggestion that they might use the D750 sensor. The problem they might have is that if they don't get it out soon enough the existing higher spec competition will have come down again in price, especially on the used market. It's already happening. They need to strike while it's hot

If the RP had IBIS it would be a steal, the budget Z might well have it. If it doesn't they might be wasting their time lagging behind as Canon already have a 70mp R with IBIS in the works. The complaints about the RP online are almost all video-based, this shouldn't bother photographers at all.

70 MP??? WTFlip?? I splashed out on my first large format printer a few years ago and have kept one in my home office ever since. Currently an Epson SC P9000 printing on 44 inch rolls and I don't even feel a need for a 46Mp Z7 let alone 70Mp. Is it just for marketing & bragging rights or do people really get the magnifying glass out to try and spot the pixels in their prints?

70 MP??? WTFlip?? I splashed out on my first large format printer a few years ago and have kept one in my home office ever since. Currently an Epson SC P9000 printing on 44 inch rolls and I don't even feel a need for a 46Mp Z7 let alone 70Mp. Is it just for marketing & bragging rights or do people really get the magnifying glass out to try and spot the pixels in their prints?

Of course it's all marketing nonsense, nobody really needs it but it'll still lure the bigger spenders in. I don't imagine it'll be in any way reasonably priced either.

Ha ha ha

So trev have you a z6?

What lens you got pal

Just the native 24-70 zoom, 35 & 50mm f1.8 primes. I had Sigma 35 art and 85 pre art. Decided they’re a bit heavy. Now for sale.

Back