Nikon Z* mirrorless

Of course it's all marketing nonsense, nobody really needs it but it'll still lure the bigger spenders in. I don't imagine it'll be in any way reasonably priced either.
Our mates T and C have a vid up on why they think Canon will release a $500 ff cam by 2021

Our mates T and C have a vid up on why they think Canon will release a $500 ff cam by 2021

Last I saw of that T clown he was making a fool of himself slating Steve McCurry then deleting the video. I can't even watch them to slag them off anymore, too much cringe.

Last I saw of that T clown he was making a fool of himself slating Steve McCurry then deleting the video. I can't even watch them to slag them off anymore, too much cringe.
It was first time in a while I went had a look,they sit in their lounge rather than studio now ,more informal,didn’t know about the Curry vid,I’ll check out see if I can find something

Impressive bunch of morons on there. I saw the original video before he pulled it, seemed like he did 5 minutes research then near broke his neck trying to rush his clown college opinion on the matter out. He got hammered big time, the video had as many dislikes as likes, and the likes will have been their usual auto-lemmings. I do notice she stays well clear of his more controversial-for-likes videos though. I bet it was her made him take it down.

Impressive bunch of morons on there. I saw the original video before he pulled it, seemed like he did 5 minutes research then near broke his neck trying to rush his clown college opinion on the matter out. He got hammered big time, the video had as many dislikes as likes, and the likes will have been their usual auto-lemmings. I do notice she stays well clear of his more controversial-for-likes videos though. I bet it was her made him take it down.
Interesting.I certainly missed that

Very tempted I know the AF on the a7iii is better but I’ve seen images from z6 at high iso pretty good also I’ve handled a z6 and felt it feels better in hand

Just the native 24-70 zoom, 35 & 50mm f1.8 primes. I had Sigma 35 art and 85 pre art. Decided they’re a bit heavy. Now for sale.
All these native z mount

Also is it worth getting the adaptor

Also is it worth getting the adaptor

I bought the Z6 with the intention of sticking to native lenses specifically designed for it. However, there aren't many available yet so I have literally just bought an FTZ adapter so I can try out a few 70-200 or 300 zooms in the short term at least. My longer term intentions are to replace with native lenses should performance, size and price warrant it... Famous last words :)

Sorry if it's old news but just been on the Nikon site and seen the 58mm 0.95 Noct listed as coming soon, anyone tempted? I'd imagine it's going to be well over £1k?

Sorry if it's old news but just been on the Nikon site and seen the 58mm 0.95 Noct listed as coming soon, anyone tempted? I'd imagine it's going to be well over £1k?

I can't imagine ever needing such a lens. On FF the DOF is going to be razor thing, 'one eyelash in focus' won't be an exaggeration anymore! :D

It looks like a huge thing, plus I would think it will be well over £1000, although 'cheap' compared to a Leica Noctilux...

I can't imagine ever needing such a lens. On FF the DOF is going to be razor thing, 'one eyelash in focus' won't be an exaggeration anymore! :D
Should be great for full body shots, and should really exaggerate that 'cut out' superimposed look that I love. Obviously for head/head and shoulder shots you'd need to stop down, but imagine how sharp your shots would be at f1.4 and f1.8 (in theory ;))

it's huge -- you can already see the mockups. Will weigh a ton and cost a fortune. I'm happy with my recently acquired 50mm f1.2 AIS which is a classic of its time at 350g and £295. OK -- compare directly with one of the superb Z lenses than the modern coatings and resolution do win out but it's not a dramatic difference. There also the option of a Z 50mm f1.2 coming before long which should be a more realistic option if you want the best without the bit of dreaminess wide open as well as AF of course. I see the 0.95 as just a prestige lens though if you have got money to burn, I'm sure it would be great fun.

Should be great for full body shots, and should really exaggerate that 'cut out' superimposed look that I love. Obviously for head/head and shoulder shots you'd need to stop down, but imagine how sharp your shots would be at f1.4 and f1.8 (in theory ;))

I like a little shallow DOF, but not 90% of an image, may as well shop in some blur at that stage. It better be eye piercingly sharp stopped down for the money. I just think lenses like this are all show.

It looks like a huge thing, plus I would think it will be well over £1000, although 'cheap' compared to a Leica Noctilux...

I'd multiply that at least a few times, this monster will be closer to 5K if the Zeiss Otus is anything to go by, and that was just 1.4

I like a little shallow DOF, but not 90% of an image, may as well shop in some blur at that stage. It better be eye piercingly sharp stopped down for the money. I just think lenses like this are all show.

I'd multiply that at least a few times, this monster will be closer to 5K if the Zeiss Otus is anything to go by, and that was just 1.4
TBH it's not something that I would buy, but I'll probably drool over the images it gives ;)

You guys do know that there's at least one f0.95 50mm-ish lens for the Sony system? Yes? So it's possible to at least get some idea of the size and weight although there's the possibility that the Nikon lens will comfortably exceed both.

I can see the appeal and a f0.95 lens will give some interesting opportunities but how often you'll want them and if they're worth the cost are questions that'll need answering :D Generally I think f1.2 is possibly enough to satisfy my extreme needs :D with f1.4 maybe being the more sensible extreme :D

Last edited:

The only benefit I can think of apart from the obvious one of shooting in the dark :D is that it'll give you an interesting look when shooting a subject at a distance. There's the opportunity to get your subject in the DoF, such as it is, with nothing else in.

Other than that I can't think of what use I'd put a 58mm f0.95 to.

DX any one

https://nikonrumors.com/2019/03/13/new-rumors-nikon-aps-c-dx-mirrorless-camera-possible.aspx/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One thing that tempts me with the Z6 is i always wanted the 300mm f4 and 1.4 but didn't because i need VR wouldn't be a problem with the Z6
That would be very interesting indeed, assuming they make lighter DX glass. A 16-50mm f2.8 would be very nice indeed.

The only benefit I can think of apart from the obvious one of shooting in the dark :D is that it'll give you an interesting look when shooting a subject at a distance. There's the opportunity to get your subject in the DoF, such as it is, with nothing else in.

Other than that I can't think of what use I'd put a 58mm f0.95 to.
don't forget that this rumoured $6000 lens is manual focus only so good luck in trying to focus in the dark :oops: :$. But then there are those who buy the Leica equivalent so who am I to interfere. Just envy no doubt. And indeed trying to shoot with a standard FL lens at a normal distance could open up new creative possibilities.

don't forget that this rumoured $6000 lens is manual focus only so good luck in trying to focus in the dark :oops: :$. But then there are those who buy the Leica equivalent so who am I to interfere. Just envy no doubt. And indeed trying to shoot with a standard FL lens at a normal distance could open up new creative possibilities.
Some people, myself especially, try to sprint before they can crawl. :dummy:

And just to REALLY teach you a lesson ... (not sure about this one - the original was very flat)

Buttermere Reeds by Stephen Lee, on Flickr
I reckon that you've overcooked this one but I know only too well the dilemma over what to do with a nice composition in dire lighting. I would normally take the shot and only give up if there really is no way to tastefully improve the original contrast. Or simply try black and white as we've already seen some nice ones from you -- there contrasts can much more easily be taken to extremes.

I reckon that you've overcooked this one but I know only too well the dilemma over what to do with a nice composition in dire lighting. I would normally take the shot and only give up if there really is no way to tastefully improve the original contrast. Or simply try black and white as we've already seen some nice ones from you -- there contrasts can much more easily be taken to extremes.
And I think you're right. I was trying to make a silk sow out of a pig's wotsit.

For your delectation, I've mono-ized this photo. Having trouble getting the reeds to stand out, though.

Buttermere Reeds Mono by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

Back