Nikon Z* mirrorless

I thought PhotographyLife had done a direct comparison but maybe I mixed up. Your review I'd seen and it's one of the less flattering for the Nikon I've come across. Dunno if it's a reputable source though the tests seem quite well carried out. Thom Hogan, despite his usual whingeing, is clearly impressed and briefly mentions the Sigma. Weight and size is a big selling point for him.

Last edited:
Is anyone considering pulling the trigger on a Z6/FTZ/24-70 kit? I purchased one at the end of Feb, beginning of March from Panamoz after selling my D750 due to lack of use and instantly regretting it. But still wanting a camera for travel/general use, holidays etc. So jumped in and bought one without any thought about focal lengths for me and always being a Nikon shooter. However I think, I would be better off with something like in the 24-120 range for this purpose. So am considering possibly moving away from Nikon for a one lens solution, as there isn’t anything in the pipeline for a lens in this range soon.

Anyway, my point being is I was going to list it for sale on the forum. Just wondering on pricing I was thinking £1900 for the full kit with the XQD I purchased too. It cost me £2110 total, but I know the kit price has dropped by about £60-70 since the beginning of the month. So was thinking £1900 with the card is reasonable. Shutter count is between 10-20 shots, so it’s not been used.

Last edited:
what's wrong with using the Nikon 24-120G f4 VR with the FTZ until a native option appears?

what's wrong with using the Nikon 24-120G f4 VR with the FTZ until a native option appears?

ergonomically a bit awkward. One of the reasons I didn't like adapting or the "native" sigma e-mount lenses. Makes the whole setup front heavy.

Is anyone considering pulling the trigger on a Z6/FTZ/24-70 kit? I purchased one at the end of Feb, beginning of March from Panamoz after selling my D750 due to lack of use and instantly regretting it. But still wanting a camera for travel/general use, holidays etc. So jumped in and bought one without any thought about focal lengths for me and always being a Nikon shooter. However I think, I would be better off with something like in the 24-120 range for this purpose. So am considering possibly moving away from Nikon for a one lens solution, as there isn’t anything in the pipeline for a lens in this range soon.

Anyway, my point being is I was going to list it for sale on the forum. Just wondering on pricing I was thinking £1900 for the full kit with the XQD I purchased too. It cost me £2110 total, but I know the kit price has dropped by about £60-70 since the beginning of the month. So was thinking £1900 with the card is reasonable. Shutter count is between 10-20 shots, so it’s not been used.

This has put me off the Z6. That is two people now on here who have near instantly tried to flog the lot only weeks after getting it.

yep, I think canon and panasonic did well bringing out the 24-105mm as the "kit lens". I think Nikon was trying to keep the size and weight of the setup low.

This has put me off the Z6. That is two people now on here who have near instantly tried to flog the lot only weeks after getting it.

It’s new tech - there’ll always be people who like it and those who don’t. I switched from Canon to a D750 and never really gelled with it, but am loving the Z6. Doesn’t mean the D750 isn’t a great camera, just personal preference. I’ll never go back to a non-EVF body now!

You say it has a shutter count of 10-20 shots? Have you even give it a chance?

Why don’t you give it a proper test? You may find you like it. Just a thought, and I hope you find a solution to what you desire.

Seems like the rubber when you grip the camera are easy for wear and tear some post on FB about it. As well as on here hmmm

Just re-investing in F-Mount glass doesn’t seem worth it. If I still had F mount glass then this would be fine. Also there is no ETA on when this would be. The only F mount lens I’ve got left is the Nikon 70-200/4, which I only kept because it’s new and boxed. Didn’t get round to using on my D750.

I’m not sure why? My reasons are only for what I’ve stated, looking for a single lens solution really. Which isn’t currently available on the Z Mount, and not on the roadmap currently. If it was there then I wouldn’t have considered it. I end up not taking my gear out because I don’t want to carry multiple lenses around and a bag. So a lens to cover a wider range would encourage me to take it out to cover more situations, without having to take a backpack out with me too.

I like everything about the Z6, it all feels familiar coming from Nikon previously. Ergonomics are really nice, buttons/controls feel like they are all in the right places. Although there are some which are missing, like BKT and Metering but can all be added to custom buttons or the i menu. However the reduction in body size is worth sacrificing, dedicated buttons which aren’t used frequently and easily enabled from the LCD.

Build quality is really nice, everything is solid just like other Nikon bodies.

EVF is very good, I don’t think I’d go back to OVF now after trying an EVF.

I haven’t even had chance to play with auto focus, other than single point but it seemed better to me than the D750, from the limited use I’ve had.

Really like the quality of images from the 24-70S. Also the design and size.

I don’t actually have any negatives about the Z I just wish the range of lenses were there now. But I should have considered that first.

You say it has a shutter count of 10-20 shots? Have you even give it a chance?

Why don’t you give it a proper test? You may find you like it. Just a thought, and I hope you find a solution to what you desire.

Yes, just 10-20 shots, just testing out the IQ of the 24-70. Like I said in the quote above, I have no problems with the camera, would just prefer a wider focal range in one lens. If I knew something was 6 months out then I could be patient.

To be fair these are the first two Z series cameras I've seen being quickly sold on second hand, anywhere! It seems to have a great ratio of buying to keeping.

Seems like the rubber when you grip the camera are easy for wear and tear some post on FB about it. As well as on here hmmm

There has indeed been a couple of comments regarding the rubber fraying on the grip, though mine is fine. What I haven't seen is any one comment about what they have done when they discovered their grip fraying. Does anyone know what Nikons response has been? Is it a warranty issue? I will certainly affect second hand value if sold frayed? More than a little bit curious as to how this issue is being resolved.

Last edited:
It’s only a handful of people out of the thousands sold. Same problem exists with almost every make of camera if you dig deep enough. And plenty people say “me too” even if they don’t own such a camera. Such is the nature of social media. Plus, I reckon a lot of it depens on how you grip the camera. My fingers go nowhere hear the alleged problem area.

What I haven't seen is any one cowmen t about what they have done when they discovered their grip fraying.

I think the application of Duck Tape was mentioned earlier! :eek:

Methinks that smacks of a guilty conscience! If it were mine it would be straight off back to Nikon, unless of course the damage were my fault! :rolleyes:
Hard to see how a number of users would have the same problem due to their fault.

I have a Z6 and a Z7 and the rubber on both of them is wearing out astonishingly quickly. I'd say it's not fit for purpose. I'll be discussing that with my Nikon account manager in the near future.

The z6 kit price has been increasing over the last few days at pamamoz. Is their listed price driven by the exchange rate does anyone know?
Their xqd cards jumped a fair bit too from when I first looked a week or so ago.

GBP has been stable (God knows how...) against the euro at any rate over the period and no dramatic swings against the Hong Kong dollar either. So probably not that.

I've just been on to lightroom to look at my first shots with the z6, in the lens correction menu it is showing the kit lens as a 105mm f1.4? There doesn't seem to be any s lenses in the drop down menu at all.

Does anyone else have this issue in lightroom?

I've just been on to lightroom to look at my first shots with the z6, in the lens correction menu it is showing the kit lens as a 105mm f1.4? There doesn't seem to be any s lenses in the drop down menu at all.

Does anyone else have this issue in lightroom?
In Lightroom you don't need to use any lens profiles. Corrections are automatically applied according to data (exif) fed by the camera on import.

Ah ok, I didn't realise that lightroom did that on import.

I assume I would still need to do the lens correction for non nikkor lenses then?

The current dng converter theoretically defaults to being only compatible with camera raw 11 or later but you can change it in preferences if necessary. It actually works with my LR 6.14 (camera raw 10) at default, though you lose the profiling options. Results are anaemic until you adjust anti-haze, saturation, sharpness. Certainly prefer Capture One for most images

I don't have a problem with manufactures relying on software corrections but I don't understand why they don't give us an option to correct it in camera and get a corrected RAW output.
Sony is the same which is annoying tbh.
Olympus on the other hand provides corrected RAW files iirc. So it's possible.

Capture One have just released an update supporting the 24-70 for those who are not in the Adobe camp. Goodbye vignetting and funny curves!

Just read an article about a common occurrence of wear on the grip (right in the inside corner where your fingernails rub against the rubber). Had a look at mine and, blow me, mine is starting to wear too... bit disappointing for a three month old low use camera, still I suppose that's the worst of the 'issues' I've had so far and I guess it'll be addressed with the 2nd generation cameras. I've stuck a thin strip of black Gorilla tape over the wear point on mine which should stop any further deterioration, I'd be interested if anyone hears of any better solutions.

iPhone pics of wear and of tape fix attached... the tape doesn't look nearly as bad in real life BTW, you can hardly see it! :)

Hey, could you point me to the article?
I've raised the issue with Nikon UK but they say that there's been no complaints about it....
Be good for them to know about the article.

Hey, could you point me to the article?
I've raised the issue with Nikon UK but they say that there's been no complaints about it....
Be good for them to know about the article.

I think I first saw it on dpreview HERE ...although I'm sure I've read about it in other places too.

I remember asking Nikon UK to rectify a known 'issue' on a camera I had a few years ago (I think it was the 'left focus point issue' on a D800 or D810?)... Despite all the forums being alight with every man and his dog raising the roof about it, Nikon UK claimed they'd never heard about it and said I was the first to mention it... hmmmmmm! :rolleyes:

You know, I've had Nikon SLR's and DSLR's for nearly 40 years, but last year got tired of carrying a big heavy DSLR around so chopped all my Nikon gear in (save a few speed lights). I've since concentrated on using my Olympus M4/3 system as well as my Fuji system and both have served me very well.

I recently purchased a Nikon Z6 (in the kit with the FTZ and 24-70 S lens), primarily as a small carry about camera (as my EM1X and Fuji X-H1 are bigger and heavier). Much to my surprise, I've found myself using the Z6 much more than I thought. Even though this is Nikon's first foray into the mirrorless market, and there might be a few rough edges, and certainly a current lack of native lenses, I find myself absolutely loving it's size, ergonomics and output.

Not sure what it is about this camera, but it really does bring a smile to my face. So much so, that on my upcoming holiday to Florida in June, where I was thinking of taking either my EM1X with the 12-100, 8-18 and 25 F1.2, or the X-T3 with 18-55, 55-200, 10-24 and 35mm F2, I've now really considering just taking the little Nikon. I currently have the (as mentioned) 24-70 S lens, and via the FTZ adaptor the 70-300 AF-P FX and 50mm AF-S F1.8. The only thing I'm missing is an UWA (don;'t think I'll be able to afford or even get hold of the Nikon 14-30 F4 S lens before I set off), but I'm not even sure if I'll need an UWA for this trip ?

Oh, and the only other thing I'll need is another XQD card. I currently only have a Sony G 120gb and a Sony G 32gb, and not sure that will be enough for nearly 3 weeks combined with Video ?

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Oh, and the only other thing I'll need is another XQD card. I currently only have a Sony G 120gb and a Sony G 32gb, and not sure that will be enough for nearly 3 weeks combined with Video ?[/QUOTE]

I also have two XQD cards but when on holiday etc. I also back up to a WD My Passport Wireless SSD 500Gb portable drive that is built like a tank but not excessively large.

Back