No Room For Error

really interesting shot nic.

im not sure if i like it....dislike it or somewhere in between.

maybe the light against the wall is a bit harsh for me.

however it really interests me........top work.

Thanks, it was one of a storytelling series. The light against the wall allowed the silhouetting, to add atmosphere :)

really interesting shot nic.

im not sure if i like it....dislike it or somewhere in between.

maybe the light against the wall is a bit harsh for me.

however it really interests me........top work.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts.
I don't quite know what to make of it, the title made me open the thread but the picture's kept me here - I've looked at it a couple of times now.

Agree that the lighting on the wall seems too harsh, but I can see why you positioned it there and I like the frame within a frame that you've incorporated.

I'm just not sure how I feel about the photo. It definitely draws me in and makes me want to keep looking at it which can only be a positive thing - interesting, intriguing and I want to know more about the story.

Interesting Sarah, thanks. The story is about a street robber and follows him through the crime to arrest and ultimately to prison. This shot is intended to show him reflecting and starting to comprehend that there are consequences. It has a quasi religious message as his pose hints at prayer.

Clearly my shot hasn't worked well enough from the feedback, which is helpful. When working a series it's easy to get wrapped up in it and as you pack a bunch of intentions into an image, you get to know them so well you see them. If others don't see those intended messages I need to reappraise how I am composing them.

I like the shot but find the frame quite distracting. Every time I looked through it, I was back on it within seconds.

Only thing I don't like is the light in the corner, as it's not a natural place for a light (especial in a cell)...In theory light would be from light strip in the celling or window light...or even the light from the cell opening that you have the shot taken from..

Thanks its interesting to hear how the shot is taken by others. Obviously i was looking for an atmospheric feel, through a darkened shot with added lighting. I had hoped the cell hatch provided a natural frame but take this feedback and am grateful for it. Im going to recreate this and look for a new way to shoot it.

Thanks again :)

Back